April 25, 2024, 05:09:09 PM

Author Topic: Paging Ato Boldon !!!!!! aka De Golden Boldon Thread  (Read 74938 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Paging Ato Boldon !!!!!!
« Reply #150 on: August 07, 2012, 07:00:25 AM »
Big up to Ato for paving the way for T&T runners.

THANK YOU ATO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We need a Ato Boldon Athletic Centre to help develop over athletes.

You need to help because them f00ckers in T&T dont care about nothing.

Help us Ato..... dont just set there on ESPN scracthing your lolo....

Our boys and girls need better training, diet and strength [mentally and physically].

Yuh know how much ting Ato try ahready? But some ah dem dinosaur fellas in administration does fight him down. So ah tink he fed up. But who knows, he might try again. He have access to de Ansin Sports Complex in Miramar, FL, and at one point he was talking about using dat as some sort of training center for Caribbean athletes.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 07, 2012, 08:47:54 AM »
Big up to Ato for paving the way for T&T runners.

THANK YOU ATO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We need a Ato Boldon Athletic Centre to help develop over athletes.

You need to help because them f00ckers in T&T dont care about nothing.

Help us Ato..... dont just set there on ESPN scracthing your lolo....

Our boys and girls need better training, diet and strength [mentally and physically].

Yuh know how much ting Ato try ahready? But some ah dem dinosaur fellas in administration does fight him down. So ah tink he fed up. But who knows, he might try again. He have access to de Ansin Sports Complex in Miramar, FL, and at one point he was talking about using dat as some sort of training center for Caribbean athletes.
We need to have something like what is setup at the Ansin Sports Complex in Miramar FL set up at home.

One of the main reasons Jamaica has risen to the top is that their top athletes can now stay at home and be properly nurtured and supported backed with world class coaching and facilities.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 08:50:07 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 07, 2012, 09:56:27 AM »
My yardie acquaintances want to know why Ato not mentioning the caribbean athletes more, besides the medalists, if he fraid he lose his job.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 07, 2012, 10:00:38 AM »
USA channel not Caribbean channel, some people forget that
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

truetrini

« Reply #154 on: August 07, 2012, 10:05:07 AM »
My yardie acquaintances want to know why Ato not mentioning the caribbean athletes more, besides the medalists, if he fraid he lose his job.

Your yardie acquaintances clueless.   The man has a set program, he can and does give praise when he can.

If T&T wants stories on local athletes send a damn camera, a reporter and a camera man and do it.

I heard a big story on Kirani James last night, plus plenty plaudits for Bolt and SAFP, as well as prasies for the athletes from the DR.

Jamaica has a big media contingent there and they not praisingUSA athletes, in fact when Bolt won the tag line was the AMericans are defeated.  lol

Thoses Jamaicans there to cover Jamaican athletes...plain and simple.

We can solve all of this, if some Caribbean tv station buys out my client's contract from NBC and pay more..they will get all the coverage they desire.

Tell dem ah mi say suh
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 10:06:49 AM by truetrini SC »

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 07, 2012, 10:16:43 AM »
Nobody expects whole stories, but outside of the favourites hardly anyone gets a mention.  Since Ato usually has more knowledge of the Caribbean athletes, I can see why people expect him to mention them more. 
I think Ato addressed this on the forum concerning the last Olympics.

On the NBC coverage that I get, sometimes they don't even introduce the whole field before a race, but that might just be the delayed version.  That might be adding to the perception.

What about the other commentator saying that Kirani James had a cocoa pod on his chest?  Ato just sit there without correcting him.  I know Ato was thinking about it. :rotfl:

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 07, 2012, 10:23:19 AM »
Nobody expects whole stories, but outside of the favourites hardly anyone gets a mention.  Since Ato usually has more knowledge of the Caribbean athletes, I can see why people expect him to mention them more. 

On the NBC coverage that I get, sometimes they don't even introduce the whole field before a race, but that might just be the delayed version.  That might be adding to the perception.

What about the other commentator saying that Kirani James had a cocoa pod on his chest?  Ato just sit there without correcting him.  I know Ato was thinking about it. :rotfl:

:rotfl: that self... i cyah believe he ent say nothing

but i was surprised in the kirani james segment they say he grow up defeating athletes from track and field giants Jamaica and Trinidad and Tobago ha ha ha i thought it woulda be the Bahamas they say
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #157 on: August 07, 2012, 11:45:15 AM »
outside of the favourites hardly anyone gets a mention.
Why should they?
Is not like we care about some random also-ran from Belarus. Why would a US audience care about some random Antiguan who most likely coming 7th?

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 07, 2012, 12:19:03 PM »

de man actually say "kah-kayoh pod"...he ketch mih for a few seconds then ah realize he mus be readin from ah paper
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Paging Ato Boldon !!!!!!
« Reply #159 on: August 07, 2012, 12:22:05 PM »

de man actually say "kah-kayoh pod"...he ketch mih for a few seconds then ah realize he mus be readin from ah paper

Seriously? lol hahahahaha.
Youtube Channel

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 07, 2012, 12:39:22 PM »
Why should they?
Is not like we care about some random also-ran from Belarus. Why would a US audience care about some random Antiguan who most likely coming 7th?

I talkin about runners not even being introduced on camera at the start of the race.  It could be my coverage so I can't say that they weren't properly introduced in the live nbc coverage. It does make me wonder though.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Paging Ato Boldon !!!!!!
« Reply #161 on: August 07, 2012, 12:46:55 PM »
Why should they?

I talkin about runners not even being introduced on camera at the start of the race.  It could be my coverage so I can't say that they weren't properly introduced in the live nbc coverage. It does make me wonder though.

Its the coverage, we getting British coverage in Trinidad and some of the races they not showing all the athletes. Not sure who idea was that. I noticed the finals they show everyone.
Youtube Channel

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 07, 2012, 01:01:18 PM »
In Germany they are showing the results by announcing the winner and not even listing #2 and #3.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 07, 2012, 01:05:16 PM »
In Germany they are showing the results by announcing the winner and not even listing #2 and #3.

Alright that would really drive up a wall.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 07, 2012, 01:17:06 PM »
Why should they?

Its the coverage, we getting British coverage in Trinidad and some of the races they not showing all the athletes. Not sure who idea was that. I noticed the finals they show everyone.

In d stadium only in the final they calling all the athletes name.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: August 07, 2012, 01:18:15 PM »
Why should they?

Within the stadium, only the noteable athletes are introduced for the 1st round. For semis and finals everyone gets introduced. The cameras are in sync with that.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 07, 2012, 02:49:02 PM »

if he fraid he lose his job.

a big fat YES! ;D

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 07, 2012, 05:24:38 PM »
Have no clue what to say to some of what goes on every Olympics in terms of comments directed my way.

Best to just get it all out now so it can stay as reference.

When I am in the booth, there is no passport, and there is no bias based on anything other than performance and story-telling. I go where the story is. I have SOME say in who we show and who we do not, and I do not ever go based on region or country or even who I like personally. We WILL never show 6 and 7 people in a round or semi-final. EVER. Not on US TV where time is at a premium.

The M400m was led with a nice KIRANI JAMES PIECE, A HUGE one. The W100 was led with a SHELLY-ANN FRASER-PRYCE piece, a very good one. W400? SANYA. M100? BLAKE! M200 will be BOLT - see a trend?

I am sorry if for some me not mentioning someone who has a red white and black next to their name in lane 7 in the heats seems highly offensive. THAT IS NOT MY JOB. if they are likely to do well they will get a mention, and I don't miss. I don't ignore someone who then ends up with a medal. Doesn't happen. My job is to tell the story to an audience quickly, and let's be honest, in a race usually the story of contenders revolves around 3 or 4 people. Sometimes more. Even fewer in a first round or semi, obviously

So to anyone who feels I ignore my region or sell out my country or whatever, tough for them. Good luck with that. Go back and look at what Olympic coverage looked like in 1996 or 1992, and get back to me.

I do my job based on making the sport work on US time constraints of TV, which are the tightest of any country because of what airtime costs in the USA. Right now a billion dollars of ad time is projected from these games, which are rating higher than Beijing.

Sometimes I do races that don't even get shown.  Bottom line is, NBC is not some radio station, it is not my job to "BIG UP TNT and DE CARIBBEAN as much as possible" as one guy sent me very angrily on facebook - as though this is some shout out session.  Me, taking basket, from people who don't get what I do or HOW to do it? Nope. People still saying how the 100 in Beijing I ignored Richard Thompson's performance. A man ran 9.69, won by 6 meters and broke the WR and you think the focus is going to be on the other medalists? Really? I am a silver medalist, I know how that goes.

I have been there since '07 and I remain, not because of job security, which I don't worry about - but because I try to do it with some integrity.

I think I have the best job in the world, so if the consequence is that the Caribbean thinks I "sold out", some USA fans think I am ' too pro Caribbean ' and Trinidad thinks I don't "BIG WE up" enough, so be it. Price I'm willing to pay. By definition, everyone saying that shows impartiality.

One thing is for sure. I am not going anywhere.

Thanks to those who send many a kind word. I hate even addressing this stuff because it seems like it's a big deal or it happens often. Really doesn't.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 05:29:04 PM by A.B. »
BORN TO DO IT

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 07, 2012, 05:49:27 PM »
AB you good yes, for the most part for the position you are in and even much lower and being in the public eye w/the TT/JA background, you will not escape such nonsense.  You did not even have to respond, but it shows who you are.  Keep doing what you are doing, the naysayers will continue to bray, that for sure does not stop, no matter what.  The ability to have a thick skin when you are in the public eye helps with each passing day, for some you would have showed too much preference to "your peoples" for others not enough, c'est la vie. 

One thing has changed though, looks like you are using less curl activator  ;D
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 07, 2012, 06:24:25 PM »
but wha bout de nutmeg??  ;D

you doing a good job man :applause:
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 07, 2012, 06:43:27 PM »
Stueps Ato you wasting yuh time to post. ? This is not the first time or the last i see people accuse him of this. Ato you doing a good job forget them.
Youtube Channel

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 07, 2012, 07:04:27 PM »
but wha bout de nutmeg??  ;D

you doing a good job man :applause:

Yeah Ato KNOW he cah answer dat one haha.  Nah I sure that one was a question of whether it was worth it to use the time to correct him or just let it pass.
So they really don't intro each athlete?  I thought that was always done at least for the stadium audience.
Is this new or was this always the case?

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 07, 2012, 07:13:08 PM »
Ato yuh doing ah DAMN GOOD job

If them fellas want to get BIG UP then do what is necessary to get BIG UP.

Do the homework, do the hard work (this is a cuss word in T&T).

I hear Ato BIG up Jehue since the last Olympics and he didn't even medal, if was some American broadcaster no way Jehue was getting mentioned.

I hear the BIG up put in context but he mentions things that he doesn't have too and the general public wouldn't think twice about...hmmm how come he didn't say this or that.
Our athletes need to perform at a higher level if everybody so concerned that he ent mention them. He doing more than he have to that's for sure.

I applaud Ato. Keep it up.  :applause:

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 07, 2012, 07:28:24 PM »
Ato doh worry about them nah. With TT you have to expect the unexpected. Especially in this Olimpics. We were expecting medals, at least bronze from Kelly, George, possibly Jehue,Renny, Jsani and a big performance from Bledman. But look who win a bronze, Lalonde. Not in a million years I was expecting this from him. We on the forum have been following him like everybody, but were not expecting such a pleasant surprise. All the sporting bodies have to make a serious accessment about all the performances. We are seriously deflated after  the Beijing high.

But serious, serious.Ato,  wha you think about Gabby's hair? Will we see lolo in Rio?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 07:39:09 PM by Deeks »

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 07, 2012, 07:40:35 PM »
Oh yes, the nutmeg.   ;D

I spoke at the Grenada Athlete of the Year awards this year (big shock Kirani won) and had a good time. The speech is on youtube.

I am really looking down at notes and times/world lists etc as they go to the blocks - I don't even watch the actual race I watch the monitor because I have to see what is being shown - so I was more listening than watching. Once I hear Tom say "it", a decision has to be made as to what to do, because the last thing leading to a race is supposed to be "end race set-up" and then silence, so non-race-essential elements are not really a concern. Quickly, I decide to leave it alone. Today all of Grenada cussing me for not correcting Tom. Can't win. Even get held responsible for what I don't say/someone else's mistake. People passionate, I get that.  Again, thick skin.

I trying to wean myself off the activator :D
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 07:53:02 PM by A.B. »
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 07, 2012, 08:13:32 PM »
Oh yes, the nutmeg.   ;D

I spoke at the Grenada Athlete of the Year awards this year (big shock Kirani won) and had a good time. The speech is on youtube.

I am really looking down at notes and times/world lists etc as they go to the blocks - I don't even watch the actual race I watch the monitor because I have to see what is being shown - so I was more listening than watching. Once I hear Tom say "it", a decision has to be made as to what to do, because the last thing leading to a race is supposed to be "end race set-up" and then silence, so non-race-essential elements are not really a concern. Quickly, I decide to leave it alone. Today all of Grenada cussing me for not correcting Tom. Can't win. Even get held responsible for what I don't say/someone else's mistake. People passionate, I get that.  Again, thick skin.

I trying to wean myself off the activator :D

Compared to last Olympics for whatever reason you being heard more than seen..... so yuh safe.

Use as much activator as yuh want lol  :beermug:

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 07, 2012, 09:35:03 PM »
I now coming to make a statement and say how impressed I am with Ato's analysis. The man is ACCURATE. Whenever he gives a breakdown and a projection as to what to look for, he is usually on point. Excellent job man.

I was just thinking how we as humans (not only Trinis) quick to criticize and pull down. But when it is time to praise and acknowledge we get quiet. I was guilty of that.

I can't speak for anybody else, but I'd like to say I think Ato is doing a masterful job. Great stuff. :applause: :applause:
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 07, 2012, 10:25:47 PM »
The M400m was led with a nice KIRANI JAMES PIECE, A HUGE one. The W100 was led with a SHELLY-ANN FRASER-PRYCE piece, a very good one. W400? SANYA. M100? BLAKE! M200 will be BOLT - see a trend?

Were these done due to your input or was it because the Caribbean's success demands attention right now?  It's ok if it wasn't you, if it was you, icing on the cake, those segments were nice.
Thing is Ato, you are one of the most influential West Indians in sports.  The West Indies never had anybody in your position as an NBC commentator. Nobody really knows what is a realistic expectation of you, but I feel like people are listening every time hoping to hear something that indicates that the fella in the booth is one of us.  Of course if it would affect your job performance, don't say a word. 
I just glad you on tv so I could hear you say "Veronica CYEHmpbell-Brown".  :rotfl:

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 07, 2012, 10:50:52 PM »
Lemme just add my voice to the chorus of praise... "Kahkay-yo" notwithstanding, even Tom what he name doing a good job.  Thanks to you Trinidad even get a shout when Bob hail we out during the Opening Ceremonies. Yuh cyah please everybody and if yuh try yuh'd end up looking like Mittens... so doh study de criticism too much.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 07, 2012, 11:10:56 PM »
Ato doh worry about them nah. With TT you have to expect the unexpected. Especially in this Olimpics. We were expecting medals, at least bronze from Kelly, George, possibly Jehue,Renny, Jsani and a big performance from Bledman. But look who win a bronze, Lalonde. Not in a million years I was expecting this from him. We on the forum have been following him like everybody, but were not expecting such a pleasant surprise. All the sporting bodies have to make a serious accessment about all the performances. We are seriously deflated after  the Beijing high.

But serious, serious.Ato,  wha you think about Gabby's hair? Will we see lolo in Rio?

:rotfl: Cut Gabby some slack nah man, dias meh girl still. Under all de talk, she go sign ah big deal with some activator company watch and see.

Ato good job brother, keep up the good work

1]; } ?>