April 28, 2024, 11:57:44 PM

Author Topic: Birchall bound for the game's biggest stage  (Read 4686 times)

Offline truthseeker

• Sr. Warrior
  • Goal in yuh rucc**tunse
    • View Profile
Birchall bound for the game's biggest stage
« on: November 25, 2005, 05:12:21 PM »
Birchall bound for the game's biggest stage
By Henry Winter (The Telegraph)

Six months ago, Chris Birchall was hanging out with friends in Stone, Staffordshire, trying to become a regular at League One Port Vale, and now he's eating chicken feet with Dwight Yorke and heading to the World Cup finals with Trinidad & Tobago.

"It's mad!" laughed the Englishman who has become a Caribbean darling after helping the Soca Warriors defeat Bahrain in a play-off for Germany. "People in Hollywood would probably think it was too far-fetched to make into a film! The last World Cup I watched in my local in Stone, supporting England. Now I am going to the World Cup playing for Trini! I was watching Barcelona against Real Madrid the other night, thinking, 'Jesus, we could get drawn against some of these players'." Next summer, the eyes of the world will be on Ronaldinho, Beckham and Birchall.

"If we get drawn against England or Brazil, it would be a dream," continued the engaging Birchall. "The biggest player I have played against was Chris Powell for Charlton Athletic in the League Cup. Some of the best players in the world, like Ryan Giggs, have never played in the World Cup, and I am privileged to be there at 21.

"When loan players come to Vale and hear I play internationally, they can't believe it and say, 'Who do you play for?' 'Trinidad & Tobago.' They start laughing. 'No really, who do you play for?' There's a bit of banter, jokingly calling me the white boy playing in a black team. It's all in good humour." Vale's players are planning to commandeer the team bus and follow Birchall around Germany.

The midfielder himself is getting used to travelling. "My passport's full of stamps now: Costa Rica, Panama, unbelievable experiences. Costa Rica away was the most hostile fans, worse than Bahrain. It's an amazing story. My grandparents emigrated to Trinidad from England to work and my mum was born there. She came back at 18, met my dad in Liverpool, and they moved to Stafford, which is how I got into Vale's School of Excellence. I used to mess around with my mates, saying, 'I could play for Trini', and they'd say: 'Yeah'! "

Scepticism slowly turned into reality. Prompted by his agent, word went around football that Birchall was eligible for the Soca Warriors. On April 26 this year, a game took place at Vale Park that opened up the World Cup for Birchall. "We were playing Wrexham and one of their defenders, Dennis Lawrence, who plays for Trini, came up to me during the game. He's 6ft 7in and I thought he was going to mouth off at me. But he asked: 'Have you got any Trini blood in you?' 'My mum was born there,' I said. He said: 'I need to speak to you after the game'."

Lawrence passed Birchall's number on to the Trini footballing authorities, the Fifa vice-president Jack Warner helped cut the red tape and Birchall was invited to a training camp for the two World Cup games against Panama and Mexico. "A few fans and Vale players were coming up and saying, 'Why are you going over, you are not going to qualify for the World Cup'. No one thought we had a chance. We were bottom of the group. But I wanted the experience of playing with Dwight, Shaka Hislop and Stern John."

His father, Phil, voiced brief concerns that an English-born player representing Trini "will get some stick somewhere down the line", but these were swamped under waves of joy from mother Jenny. "Mum was the proudest person alive that I was representing her country. She thought the Trinidad chapter in her life had been shut. It's emotional for her."

Particularly when Jenny sat in the Port-of-Spain crowd as her son screamed one into the top corner in the home leg of the Bahrain play-off. "My mum loved going back," Birchall said, "she didn't really want to come home again.

"She told me how friendly the people would be and they are. A lad at our club, George Abbey, who plays for Nigeria, said, 'Maybe you wouldn't have been accepted so easily if it was a country like Nigeria who are a bit more hostile'.

"But in Trinidad, there are loads of different cultures, whites, Chinese. For them, it is not a big deal, because there are a lot of white people over there, but the whites don't get involved with the football. I am the first white to play for Trini in 60 years. I was getting a bit of stick for not singing the national anthem for the first few games. So I got someone to write it down, and learnt it. It is about the island. It's nice."

Yorke has taken Birchall under his wing. "I have been to the local nightclubs and met a lot of the local people. I have been around a bit of the island; everyone is wearing Liverpool or Man United tops but I've not seen any Port Vale ones!" He has even been sampled local delicacies, such as chicken-feet soup. "You do eat the feet, but spit out the bones. I have had it once. I don't think I would have it again." For a man who admitted his musical tastes six months ago were Phil Collins, Birchall is now into Destra's It's Carnival. He smiled: "They are always playing Soca, which is their local music - steel drums, upbeat music. We have it in the dressing-room and it gets everyone up for the game.

"In the dressing-room in Bahrain, Russell Latapy and Dwight were crying with delight. Dwight and Russell are so old, they knew it was their last chance. Dwight has achieved everything now, apart from winning the World Cup, which I don't think he is going to do, but...

"Dwight is really friendly with me. I wouldn't have been surprised if he had been all big-time when I arrived. But he's a good captain. Him and [Brian] Lara are the two legends on the island, worldwide too." As a Liverpool fan, Birchall has wound up the former United striker. "I do! I was in the Kop when he scored a header off Beckham's cross. Dwight just laughs about it.

"He's playing up front in Sydney now, but for Trinidad, the coach, Leo Beenhakker, wants him in central midfield, because his pace has gone a bit but he still has the skill to get out of trouble and pick passes out. Dwight has played at the highest level, won the Champions League, so for me to be playing alongside him is unbelievable.

"Without this experience, I wouldn't get the notice that might get me a move to the Premiership. I'm 21, having a good season with Port Vale and going to the World Cup. There are about four or five teams who have never been there before, like Angola, Ivory Coast, Trinidad and Togo. I wouldn't be surprised if one of us did well. We'll struggle to get there again because the best players are retiring after this World Cup. So I'm going to seize the moment."
« Last Edit: November 25, 2005, 05:26:13 PM by Tallman »

Offline Aymir

• JABLOTEH FOREVER
  • Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Jabloteh
Re: Birchall bound for the game's biggest stage
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 05:30:10 PM »
birchie did not mention the wine he got from girl in zen, the roti from hot shoppe, the bake and shark from maracas and the doubles from uwi,....but its all love.

truetrini

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 05:30:47 PM »
zen, 51. coconuts..U of VC (university of Villa Capri)

So Yorke schooling him hahahahaha :devil:

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2005, 05:32:03 PM »
Beautiful article.Birchall seem to be enjoying the spotlight.He deserve it and his mother seems extremely pround to be Trini.
Is there any similarity between what Deon Burton did for Jamaica and Birchall for Trinidad ?

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2005, 05:34:16 PM »
What a fantastic article!!!

Birchall was very honest in his answers and seems to really enjoy playing for his country and determined to do well... Seems his parents... Mum especially have raised him really well

some points dat make me laugh

Everybody wearing Liverpool or Man U tops but he eh see ah Port Vale one

The chicken foot souse

and watching Yorke score from de Kop....

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline benedicts bwoy

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2005, 05:37:55 PM »
De U of V.C. .............what a fabulous instituition!!
Bin dere mihself..................las week LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2005, 05:48:27 PM »
U of VC is a very good institution
a place where boys go to become men

Birchall bawl chicken foot soup but I want to feel is souse he talking bout
SSSSSSSSTROTTERS AND TROTTERS

Més que un club.

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2005, 05:55:23 PM »
Lord, imagine Yorke taking the yute under his wings to show him the country and nightlife.
I guess he will really love T&T after them experiences.

truetrini

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2005, 05:55:56 PM »
U of VC is a very good institution
a place where boys go to become men

Birchall bawl chicken foot soup but I want to feel is souse he talking bout
SSSSSSSSTROTTERS AND TROTTERS

nuff man get dey  diploma dey

I hear dat rotato poti does stop dey always...in facr dey come like he foyer

lol

« Last Edit: November 25, 2005, 08:17:17 PM by truetrini »

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2005, 06:56:08 PM »
21 years old and in ah World Cup....now dat is exposure.  :beermug:

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2005, 07:02:14 PM »
"yorke has taken birchall under his wing" 

lord have mercy, i know the vale coach must not be too happy about that lol. 

Offline greenbottlebaby_7

• New Warrior
  • Germany here we come!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2005, 08:16:00 PM »
i think birchie is a trini somewhere down inside..he loves soca and seems to get along well with them. sure know we all love him...d girls dat is.
he surely helped us get there and at least he appreciates the talented stars we have on our team and he might b the first person to not think that we play football on the beach dressed in grass skirts and coconut shells! :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline Warrior princess

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2005, 09:25:07 PM »
really nice article...birchie's mum is a trini to d bone!an he is fast becoming one too! :) if he so hyped about our culture now,wait til he experiences carnival!
carpe diem!

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2005, 09:34:46 PM »
This article is tops!!

Birchall is rewarded for taking a chance and trying out for us!!

i read this article and all i am seeing is a young man who is honest and willing to work hard.  I am really gald for him.

ah love it!!

Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Rotato Poti

• Hero Warrior
  • VIBES IT UP!!!
    • View Profile
    • ACB reloaded
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2005, 09:52:09 PM »
really nice article...birchie's mum is a trini to d bone!an he is fast becoming one too! :) if he so hyped about our culture now,wait til he experiences carnival!

It's already in the works.
Some friends have sponsored a section in Poison - nuff celebs already signed up - favourite hunting grounds of Lara and Yorke.

Don't be suprised if you see Birchie (Stag in hand) chippin behind a t'ick thing who rollin nuff bumpa on 'em.
He mum will especially be proud.

Offline StoreBayLimer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2005, 10:05:34 PM »

Nice article.  It is really good that things are working out for him.   Some would disagree, but he really took that leap of faith.

Offline Rotato Poti

• Hero Warrior
  • VIBES IT UP!!!
    • View Profile
    • ACB reloaded
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2005, 10:52:33 PM »
Mr. Yorke, you have to take Me Mom to store bay for some crab and dumplin  wid a cream soda and evaporated milk to wash it dong den when you going out to Buccoo Reef you feed him some conch souse wid a puncheon rum wash dong

yuh fuhget Ms. Jean Pacro Water.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2005, 11:39:49 PM »
excellent article indeed boy, moved meh emotionally yes, big up man like Birchall, if all of our foreign/local born/bred players have half of his intensity/passion, it will continue to get very difficult to make the cut for TT's 22.

Bless
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2005, 11:42:31 PM »
Awwwww! He too cute! N he funny too!
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2005, 11:49:07 PM »
 He make the right decision..That is why Zamora have to watch him on TV :devil:

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2005, 11:55:18 PM »

:D
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2005, 11:58:54 PM »
he make sure an eh say "me mum" again :D

big up birchie
if ah see yuh for carnival , ah go teach yuh to bruck out ;)

SOCA WARRIORS TO D END!!!
bless!!!
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2005, 01:14:13 AM »
Ah wonder if he get de trotters from de man who does sell souse in football, dress up in de same shirt an tie over an over an over.............

So VC is place of repute , all de time ah going dey an tinking is a rell expensive place tuh pick up girls that doh have ah telephone number.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2005, 12:20:37 PM »
according to samuel....................:ah love it:

"Play dat funky football, white boy!"  :beermug:

Good luck, Chris - see you in Germany ... let's hope your T& T games are near my home in Belgium (Cologne? Düsseldorf?) so's I can get there easily.

The draw is on 9 December ... fingers crossed!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2005, 01:33:24 PM by Tallman »
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline dombasil

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2005, 12:31:15 PM »
Yes Birchie,All ah we is one family.
I sure Yorke already give him some pacrowater to help him handle de baddest from Zen.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2005, 03:35:04 PM »
Ah wonder if he get de trotters from de man who does sell souse in football, dress up in de same shirt an tie over an over an over.............

So VC is place of repute , all de time ah going dey an tinking is a rell expensive place tuh pick up girls that doh have ah telephone number.

That souse man still doing he ting, huh. Birchall had a tangible effect on this campaign.  He really plays his heart out, and wants to represent this country.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2005, 03:54:01 PM by Tenorsaw »

1]; } ?>