April 29, 2024, 07:21:54 AM

Author Topic: Rudi Gutendorf  (Read 1657 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Rudi Gutendorf
« on: November 28, 2005, 11:57:08 AM »
Ah come across dis article dat say Rudi Gutendorf used tuh coach T&T. On further investigation, Rudi's website says that he was our coach in 1976. I thought Edgar Vidale was de coach at dat time. Does anyone remember dis man?

The most-travelled national manager ever
By James Dart (Guardian Unlimited)

Wednesday November 9, 2005

"I recently read that Philippe Troussier has managed six different national sides (South Africa, Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Burkina Faso, Japan and Qatar). Surely no one else can match that?" wonders Tom Nicholls.

They can and they have, Tom. First up is the man who has coached the most international games ever (276 - 104 clear of his nearest rival): Bora Milutinovic. In a career spanning 21 years and 96 days in charge of national teams, the Yugoslav has managed six different sides: Mexico, United States, Costa Rica, Nigeria, China and Honduras. For more information, check this link out.

But leaving Milutinovic well and truly in the shade is Rudi Gutendorf. Incredibly, his management career lasted 53 years and took in 17 national managers jobs in charge of Chile, Bolivia, Venezuela, Trinidad & Tobago, Grenada, Antigua, Botswana, Australia, New Caledonia, Nepal, Tonga, Tanzania, Ghana, Nepal again (but we won't count that), Fiji, Zimbabwe, Mauritius and Rwanda. Oh, and he also took charge of the Iranian and Chinese Olympic teams in 1988 and 1992, respectively. When asked once why he had managed in so many different countries, the German replied: "One cannot conserve excitement." If you want a complete rundown on his extraordinary career, albeit in German, click here.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
Re: Rudi Gutendorf
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 12:19:40 PM »
Yeah I saw this a few weeks ago.

It is possible because it looks like he didn't stay long at his assignments.

From his CV it looks like he was a mercenary just taking advantage of small countries.

I remember Gally mentioning (in an interview) that he was ashamed when we hired a german guy who he met on a coaching course but who was not very good.

I always figured that it was Figge, but it might have been this guy. Gally didn't really specify.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline ANC2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 12:40:39 PM »
Yeah I saw this a few weeks ago.

It is possible because it looks like he didn't stay long at his assignments.

From his CV it looks like he was a mercenary just taking advantage of small countries.

I remember Gally mentioning (in an interview) that he was ashamed when we hired a german guy who he met on a coaching course but who was not very good.

I always figured that it was Figge, but it might have been this guy. Gally didn't really specify.

ah just contact the Trini football archives (Observer), Gutendorf he was in charge of the National Youth team in 1975, the team with Wintey Hackett, Bert Neptune and them.

Offline lizzard1910

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 04:43:45 AM »
Does anyone remember dis man?

I know he exists  :) people here in germany know him as "Weltenbummler (globetrotter). To me he seems to be more of a football professor rather than a coach  :angel:

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 08:35:45 AM »
 That just say the man good at getting jobs and not keeping them ;D

1]; } ?>