March 28, 2024, 03:07:07 AM

Author Topic: What qualification means to T&T  (Read 1383 times)

Offline ANC2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
What qualification means to T&T
« on: November 12, 2005, 08:37:34 AM »
While we all wish, pray, walk with garlic in we pocket and use every other capiech to qualify for the WC. Consider this Australia news papers states that simply for qualifying for the final 32. teams receive 10 MILLION US from FIFA. Dat is real dollars. Ah only hope when we qualify we see some accountability for that kind ah money. Make sure it is used for preparation and to establish some kind of youth program for the country

Offline pioneertrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: What qualification means to T&T
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 09:27:54 AM »
yeh i agree, but di only way that money aint gettin teeth is if they put it in a glass box and hang it above di pitch lake.

truetrini

What does World Cup qualification really mean for our tiny nation?
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 07:47:41 PM »
What does World Cup qualification really mean for our tiny nation?

On the day that T&T formally qualified for our first World Cup we had several murders.  Does qualification to the world’s greatest sporting event really mean anything for the people of Trinidad and Tobago?

Let me qualify that question.   What impact will World Cup qualifying have on the lives of every day trinis?

Will crime decrease?  Will employment increase?  Will the minimum wage increase?  Will schools improve the level of education being offered?  Will truancy and drop –out rates decrease?

Apart from bragging rights, what does qualification to the World Cup do for Trinidad and Tobago?

Will the government actually become competent or even begin to give a rats ass about the citizens?

I am not attempting to throw cold water on anyone’s celebrations….but just what exactly does World Cup qualification mean for T&T?

If we look at Haiti, we see it did not do a damn thing but elevate the status of a select few.  Politicians and administrators used it to advance their agendas and milked it for political mileage.

The present Government of T&T hailed it as a major accomplishment and I am very happy for the qualification, but is it more important than getting a handle on crime?

I have opened this discussion to elicit meaningful discussion and to gather thoughts, ideas and feelings.

Peace out!

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
Re: What does World Cup qualification really mean for our tiny nation?
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 08:29:18 PM »
i think if it has any impact its going to be a process and no sudden result should be expected

most of those committing crimes are already stuck in their ways and the development should be

focused on the youth who lived through this world cup era

personally teachers not beating the kids in school was de last straw that broke the camel's back
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline trinidad badboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2005, 11:27:12 AM »

HOPE FOR THE FUTURE OF OUR COUNTRY

AND SOMETHNG FOR THE YOUNGER GENERATION TO LOOK UP TO

WE NEED THAT IN THIS TIME..

Offline ArcaneAndrew

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2005, 06:53:02 PM »
I mean I is only a little youth, but the last time I checked, National Pride meant something to me.  Shouldn't it mean something to everyone, to see there beloved country make it to such a prestigious event?  I mean even if crime don't decrease <my best friend's sister was kidnapped by the way and lived to tell the tale a few years back, so I could relate> won't we still say that we made it to the World Cup for the First Time, after it started so many many years ago ?

I think National Pride will start a change in TNT, and if not, it will just make them aware that, sometimes, the news in the nespapers doesn't always have to bad. ;)

Offline Rymizx

• Full Warrior
  • It's a small world ! - No Really...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2005, 07:33:17 PM »
It means that once (again) we are recognized as being able to field a TEAM of talent that can compete on the world stage among others at the highest football sporting level.

We have had the successes of individuals over years gone by that influenced , e.g. Hasley Crawford,  top personal performances in the atheletic arena. It is only recently that T&T is being recognized for having a relay Team of great talent. We need to build on that.

So in that respect when it comes to football, the Yorke, Latas, era will end by 2010. Who will be the new talent. Are we really as country encouraging men like Makesi (Fatima), to want to play for the Trinidad team.
When devoted people like Lookloy had a good youth program going in years gone by it was a way to keep the talent flowing.
As a country we need to take a pahe out of USA's books and use the world cup berth to develop our talent at all levels within the communities. From the 4yr olds up to the 28 yr olds...
There is no real reason for us a Football loving country to become like Haiti and let the politicians ruin our great opportunity to develop the sporting talent at all levels.. Most politicians are "waggonists" anyway

1. Lots of revenue flowing in from hydrocarbon. Uses some to INVEST in sport meaningfully. In the areas where Jack/UNC built stadiums INVEST in swiming pools, hockey fields, cricket nets, etc for community use. Put a couple small coverd stands on all recreation grounds. Allow families to feel comfortable taking the kids to the grounds to run some ball..
The sports megacomplex in south is a good start, but more, much more is needed. It not too late....

2. Crime in T&T is at all levels, most as a fall out from the drug trade where the big Dons using we youths as chess pieces and just distressing everybody. Murders can not stop by us just playing in the world cup. Look at Brazil, with all the foolball talent in the world, all the WorldCup trophies Rio is still a city in trouble.

3 For our World cup place to create a dent on the everyday Trini, he/she must care and want to live a positive life overcoming all challenges and striving for what is good. If PNM/UNC/MPM, whosever not good then say so, and make a difference. Don't jump on a band waggon. Fight for improvements to minimum wage, increased emplyment or look to create your own wage.

4.  For our tiny nation, a place in the world cup has caused the world's cameras to focus on us. That is all of us. The doubles man, the coconut vendor, the taxi driver, even the ^%&*# dustbin "fart" bomber.
It is up to each any every proud individual to care enough to make good of this extra attention for the good of our contry's current and future generations.
How you ask... Report illegal activities to crimestoppers, police, etc. Demand better service from places like KFC, TSTT, etc.

Nuff said....
« Last Edit: November 26, 2005, 10:00:25 PM by Rymizx »

1]; } ?>