March 29, 2024, 07:58:59 AM

Author Topic: A set of Fatima men on this Forum  (Read 36139 times)

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
A set of Fatima men on this Forum
« on: July 27, 2005, 03:08:54 PM »
Well, I see that you are giving Gally !0,000 a month for three months to win some trophies. Let us see what will happen at the end of the InterCol season. I heard the prevailing logic was - Look what Maureno did with Chelsea, so pass the bread to Gally.
What about the pool of Players, are you going to buy players if you follow the Chelsea model.
Is this a new thrend in Youth Football. If it will bring results,eg- make the switch to international level- To God be the Glory.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Re: A set of Fatima men on this Forum
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 03:19:14 PM »
Well, I see that you are giving Gally !0,000 a month for three months to win some trophies. Let us see what will happen at the end of the InterCol season. I heard the prevailing logic was - Look what Maureno did with Chelsea, so pass the bread to Gally.
What about the pool of Players, are you going to buy players if you follow the Chelsea model.
Is this a new thrend in Youth Football. If it will bring results,eg- make the switch to international level- To God be the Glory.

No disrespeck Injunchile, but like you doh read or wha?  Yuh eh check wha Tallman & dem was talkin bout re: Pres & Naps?

Buyin players at Colleges level been goin on fuh donkey years.

Gally himself was "bought" from Tranquil to Fatima.

Yuh think Latas "pass" fuh San Fernando Technical?

Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 04:04:31 PM »
Yes "buying" players has been a practice for some time, but as an ex fatima man, and in defense of fatima, I have to say that the practice was not as popular there as in many colleges (Notably QRC). At least up until I left fatima in '95, on average only 1 or 2 out of 18 players were transferred just to play football. I can even remember years where every player was a Fatima student from form 1.....

Might partly explain why we lost so much haha.....
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 08:11:33 PM »
Fatima paying money just to avoid the relegation battle  ;D
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2005, 09:01:15 PM »
I'm a former QRC student.I left in 2001 and up till then we hardly had any buy men but I think this year we'll see some "foreigners" come in since dem dirty CIC take about 4 men last year.

Offline Maradona7

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2005, 10:01:17 PM »
We didn't take 4. 4 of allya players left because QRC is S*#T!!!!!

GO SAINTS!!!! WE WINNING THIS YEAR!!! fatima hahaha!! when last them do something!!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2005, 10:03:55 PM by Maradona7 »

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2005, 12:41:13 AM »
As a former P. Town player ah could tell yuh that even the Pres men started coming to join we when they realized that the guard had changed.  The best players from as far as Mayaro, Point, Fyzo, P. Ville, Vesigny, wanted to be on a top squad.  Importing going on donkey years now.  Avery John never pass for Pres, nor did Mervyn Wright, just to name a few.

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2005, 10:11:05 AM »
Yes "buying" players has been a practice for some time, but as an ex fatima man, and in defense of fatima, I have to say that the practice was not as popular there as in many colleges (Notably QRC). At least up until I left fatima in '95, on average only 1 or 2 out of 18 players were transferred just to play football. I can even remember years where every player was a Fatima student from form 1.....

Might partly explain why we lost so much haha.....

Kicker, haul yuh arse.  The king of transfer players has always been CIC.  St. Anthony's recently has taken the title though.  QRC had a period when a few Junior Sec transfers came in (like Hector Sam from Mt. Hope Junior Sec.) but CIC has been the boss of that.  So doh be "notably QRC" nuttin when it come to dat. 

As a matter of fact, if my memory serves me correctly, Fatima started this trend when they brought a man named Creese to play for Fatima from a Junior Sec in the mid-80s.  Any of the older heads know that name? 

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2005, 01:19:05 PM »
I know Anthony Creese........that was 88/89......not the mid 80's.......and he ended up barely playing a season.....Sterling Smith (a transfer) played for QRC before that....so I dunno (seriously doubt) if Fatima started the trend, but your example is rubbish....

Anyways, my bad for singling out QRC........If I'm wrong hard luck...I take it back, but I had friends from QRC who gave me that impression......I didn't come up with that on my own......I know for a fact though that Fatima didn't use the football transfer practice very much up until I left..........

later
« Last Edit: July 28, 2005, 01:34:50 PM by kicker »

Offline UPRISING

• Sr. Warrior
  • "Justice is what de youths dem need overall..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2005, 01:30:36 PM »
Nah Jahyouth, cyar say dat "CIC is de king ah dat" at all..I en know for now but back in de mid to late eighties I would say is a max of 5 / 6 players dat Saints pull...remember CIC will always be a academics first school ...even though they will make allowances for men dat contributing to de team .. yuh still have to show yuh could hande yuh biz in de classroom..

As far as de NORTH colleges go..at least when I was playing....QRC was de boss ah dat!!!!!! FI REAL!

Go Saints!
"...de way dem deal wit Mankind all mih gyal start bawl.."

Offline JERSEY TRINI

• trotty
  • Hero Warrior
  • without god life just doesn't make sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2005, 01:48:00 PM »
As a former P. Town player ah could tell yuh that even the Pres men started coming to join we when they realized that the guard had changed.  The best players from as far as Mayaro, Point, Fyzo, P. Ville, Vesigny, wanted to be on a top squad.  Importing going on donkey years now.  Avery John never pass for Pres, nor did Mervyn Wright, just to name a few.

Just to clearify your statement there, no men from P.VILLE leave they because they wanted to be on P.Town squad, they leave because of differences between the players and the Manager or the team that's all.  This is from my experiences playing with P.Ville from 95-97.

Offline slates

• Sr. Warrior
  • Big-up L'Anse Mitan Carenage
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2005, 01:49:27 PM »
Wha? I have to chime in on this one. I went to CIC from 76 to 83. And in the time I was there, I cyah tink about more than 1 player, Arnold Corneal, the goal keeper, who Saints pull in just to play ball and that man had to have the grades because them priests them didn't play dat.

In the mean time, I could mention 2 notable names, G. Rodriguez and Geoffery Lake who Fatima snapped up even while the CIC priests were considering cutting them men some slack to repeat. Rodriguez mash up the North Zone that year.

In them days, QRC was routinely pulling men from Trinity, Trinity was pulling men from Belmont and Tranquil, and Fatima was scavenging them Vale men from Diego Sec,  and Saints.

So all yuh, doh try dat. CIC was all about academics. Now if that change, is a welcome change because we on the bottom for too long.
Toujour Pret!

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2005, 02:09:20 PM »
If I say everything I have to say about this topic, it would take far too long.

Let me just say that Fatima in my time in the 80s didn't play that game as badly as other schools.

Men who could have benn "allowed" to go to Form VI were simply not.

Sheppard of the mid 80s is a classic example. Imagine yu  have a catch ass squad and u tell the best player apologise to the staff for giving trouble in Form V? Thereality is, the man hardly give any trouble.

It was understood that abt. two men would get into Form VI on Sports, but they had to have the grades. (The only exeception I know of was brian Lara :)

A lot of men regularly joined Fatima after Form One, becz they wrote exams and were allowed in. Most of them never played ball for us.

A man who came in around Form four or five was R. Simmons in the early 80s but he had the grades and got a Schol  to the US.

Graeme Rodriguez said that he went to Fatima becz Saints didn't have the Accounting subjects he wanted in Form VI.

If Fatima wanted to play that game, u know how many students we could score.

One more thing. Ppl talk about a boss 87 Fatima squad Captained by Sean Ramdoo. EVERY name I have ever heard from that squad started in Form One....Hines, Sagar, Ramdoo, Cipriani, Burnette, Rodriguez, Roberts,Baptiste etc.

I personally watch Fatima fu%^$ themselves up...becz priniciple came first.

One year a player was banned from the team by the Staff, becz of misbehaviour. Colin Murray the Coach asked for him to play for the squad..he was a key player and he didn't want the team to suffer...the Principal say no...and Murray resigned.

Read Anil Roberts story about how Murray bench he ass for a key intercol game becz he show up 15 minutes late for the team meeting...as Roberts put it...that end the bigitis he was suffering from right then and there.

I could give other examples...but my point is most schools play that game...but Fatima is one of the least of the detractors...u don't keep ur academic rep. by handing out seats like candy.

By acquiring Gally...they have show how serious they are...without making a mockery of the process.

Peace,
VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2005, 02:13:37 PM »
Wha? I have to chime in on this one. I went to CIC from 76 to 83.
So all yuh, doh try dat. CIC was all about academics.

Slates yuh out of it too long boy. This is an issue that as you see men is real take serious.  Now let us look at tihis is a more systematic way:

There are different types of transfers:

1 - Into 4th form from Junior Sec

2 - Into 6th form from whereever

3 - Repeat 5th form from whereever

4 - Into other forms (2nd form, 3rd form etc) from other schools (not Junior Secs)

All three have their problems but I think men will say that the worst of all is the repeaters.  I know many a school that takes repeaters from other schools just for football.  That I think is sh!t.  Especially when you know the fellas them not on books.

Coming into a 7 year school from Junior Sec in 4th form is another issue.  Why can't 7 year schools admit Junior Sec students who excel in football?  I eh see nothing wrong with that.  That at least gives the youth a chance to better himself over a period of time academically and otherwise once he applies himself on and off the field.

The into 6th form thing is another issue again.  When men have bare passes and getting into 6th form to play for another 2 years just to build a "bomb squad" that again is sh!t in my opinion.

Now regarding examples, Trinidad too small to call names so I not doing that.  But I could tell you of a few men well who got turned away from QRC because of poor grades and were welcomed with open arms at CIC.  This is early to mid 90s we talking about here.  So cut the "CIC doesn't do that" nonsence.  St.  Anthony's took it to another level when trhey got their 6th form at long last.  In the 80s Sando Tech and John D. used to stockpile players too (to the betterment of T&T football many would say).

So the question is really: Is importing players and using them to represent a school a bad thing?  If so, how much should it be done before it is considered overdoing it?

Offline UPRISING

• Sr. Warrior
  • "Justice is what de youths dem need overall..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2005, 02:28:32 PM »
Youth,
Allright now yuh makin real sense by posing dat question..at the end of the men leave school and have bills to pay, mouthes fi feed..SO ...student-athletes should be held to an academic standard..end of story..players should not be used in such an exploitive way...while compromising that players' future after-intercol..

Yes we like we football..but there has to be a limit..maybe mandate the number of 'transfers' according to the list of 'transfer types' that you mentioned ..so if yuh have a big player that is not on his books...encourage tutoring .. doh just encourage de youth on de football field..exactly the reason that Trinidad has so much wasted talent....and struggling to put together a national team of merit..that losing to Antigua and St.Kitts etc..
"...de way dem deal wit Mankind all mih gyal start bawl.."

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2005, 02:58:21 PM »
There are two sides to the coin.

In a way the transfering of players can only be a good thing. I say this because a player coming in from a jr sec or a 5 year school to a 7yr college has the world of opportunity being created for him.

Firstly the colleges league is the big showcase for these fellas, it can be a transition point to the pfl or a university abroad. But the benefits accrue even off the football field. The player now has the academic environment with which to excel, and they usually get help from teachers and students to keep them up to scratch. Look at it as an extra 2-4 years off the street.

Finally, the player making friends that he would not ordinarily make had he not transfered. This friendship sometimes transpires to a man father who have money handling him with a small wuk or at least the player making connections with those who academically inclined who have friends in high places.

The other side of the coin is that these 7yr schools do not have the alternative subjects that the player may be more interested in.
Some people just doe like books and school work. and I have seen many a good player who transfer in just sit down and waste away the academic opportunity afforded to them.

But remember this is why they have a age limit......Yuh hadda be under 18. Most of the transfers who come in already repeat either common entrance or cxc, so even they playing career in school is usually a 2 years max.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2005, 03:40:28 PM »
if we still had them Tech schools involved in Secondary school football, the standard of play and skill of the players woulda been a lot better now. If you look at this way,it woulda been boys coming up against men and to me thats a learning experience.
i woulda also say that since they going to school,they better be trying to learn a trade or something and they shouldnt be allowed to join the senior side in a Pro team.
is true most fellas who get transfered just to play sport didnt make use of the opportunity...maybe if they had come in during form 1 they woulda lost that 'ghetto' mentality they pick up from them junior sec. As Touches say...they had the chance to make real connections to help them out in life.
Feliz

Offline slates

• Sr. Warrior
  • Big-up L'Anse Mitan Carenage
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2005, 04:22:19 PM »
So Mr. Jahyouth, I out of it too long? Too long to state what I remember? So tell me nah, what is de cut-off?

I stated what I remember to transpire during de time I was there, at Saints. In the seven years I spent there, is 2 players transfered into Saints to play ball, and both had outstanding grades. You had to have outstanding grades to get into form VI at Siants back in them days. I admit I don't know bout now.

Personally, I don't see no problem with schools pulling in men to play ball. I would just like it to be an even playing field whereby the standards for admission is consistent from one school to the next. That way, CIC, QRC, Fatima, St Anthony's, Presentation, all have the same chances at securing a player BASED ON WHATEVER THE ACADEMIC STANDARDS ARE.
Toujour Pret!

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2005, 08:03:53 PM »

You are quite right, Avery and Mervyn Wright did not pass for Pres..but if you look at top players in south since 1986, the majority of then did not pass for the school they gained fame at....Pres stop placing an emphasis on football so players like dwight deleon, vijay samaroo and marvin phillips (all national youth players) went to Princes town.....Marvin went because he had no choice..he was a major problem child and Pres did not want him.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2005, 08:09:18 PM by real madness »

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2005, 08:39:20 PM »
I've never played in the colleges league but supported and followed that Football a lot because i had two brothers that played for St Mary's,Michael and Zachary Cooper.After reading all these post on what goes on with Colleges Football would it be safe to say the Colleges League is a corupt League.
   I always wanted to ask this question i hope someone will be able to answer,over the years i've seen the kind of crowds that attend Colleges Football but always wondered who makes the money and where it goes,who really benifits from it?

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2005, 09:18:13 PM »
   I always wanted to ask this question i hope someone will be able to answer,over the years i've seen the kind of crowds that attend Colleges Football but always wondered who makes the money and where it goes,who really benifits from it?

surely not the players...all i remember getting was a Cokes and a drops and maybe some cheesepaste after Coca Cola Intercol lol...real nutritious eh lol.

seriously i really can't say where the money went but i would have to guess it went back to the the respective zonal league..but then again you really cant see where they spend that money. Paying referees, Police, Fire & Ambulance services and Skinner Park rental cant really cost that much too.
For all we know 75% of the people in the Park jump de fence lol.
Feliz

Offline duscam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2005, 10:46:52 PM »
Breds, QRC is junior sec united!!!! St. mary's always try to balance some sort of academics with football skill..so they could understand the plays!!!

Offline duscam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2005, 10:58:06 PM »
but let me give you my list
Hisham Gomes-Diego sec
Harande Eli-
Lyndon Andrews
Dario Trujullio
Sam Granado
Duane St. Hill-St anthony's
Sean Marshall-belmont champions year before
Marlon Williams-St. Georges
Jughead- from QRC

just in a couple years in my time- but all these fellas had some kinda sense man..

Offline duscam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2005, 11:00:30 PM »
in terms of money..prefects used to ninja some of those sales...and i am sure the teacher too...but i remember them games on our grounds ah good 2 to 3 grand..they used to pull in

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2005, 08:14:08 AM »
Steeeps i neva rliked that championship division shit in intercol .I think every secondary school should take part  in the competition secondary schools football need to be restructured badly  forget this promotion and relegation crap.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline duscam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2005, 08:18:25 AM »
never said the league ws corrupt

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2005, 08:27:50 AM »
Not you meh boy.....the main quote was from coops.

Offline JERSEY TRINI

• trotty
  • Hero Warrior
  • without god life just doesn't make sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2005, 08:53:18 AM »
Steeeps i neva rliked that championship division shit in intercol .I think every secondary school should take part  in the competition secondary schools football need to be restructured badly  forget this promotion and relegation crap.

Tell me why should they stop the promotion and regulation system in college football?  If your team can't make it out of the lower division then you shouldn't be in there with the rest of the teams.  All you are going to do if you do that is bring down the little standard of play that the league has established over the years. 

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2005, 08:54:54 AM »

You say "it's safe to say that the colleges league is a corrupt league". I think it's safe to say that unless you know some deep dark secrets, then you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

With all due respect Sir,i did not mean to upset any one,i did not say the Colleges League is corupt,you are right i don't know that's why i'm asking questions,if you can read you will understand the question i asked,i did not say (it's safe to say)(i said would it be safe to say)there is a difference.
     Any how i understand your post which has cleared up a lot of the negative thoughts i had,i'm only making my judgements on what i'm reading from some of these forumites so there is no need to be abusive.    

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2005, 09:00:18 AM »
No worries......I was never offended/upset.....and yes I mis-quoted what you said- my bad, but my point was that I didn't see anything that was previously said that really warranted such a question....especially with a word like corrupt......no hard feelings though, it's all good.

Way to question my ability to read, under the guise of being respectful- that's classy.

I deleted the post, so there is no more record of "abuse". cool ?

respect.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2005, 09:21:52 AM by kicker »

1]; } ?>