April 20, 2024, 12:01:13 AM

Author Topic: Youth development  (Read 5443 times)

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
Youth development
« on: May 31, 2005, 08:29:06 AM »
The Super Y League is about to begin. The TD had indicated earlier this year that a few players from the U-17 pool will join his Chesapeake Dragons as part of the development program. Has anyone heard any whispers whether this is still the case or not, and who are the players earmarked for this project?

Here's the article.

Chesapeake Athletic Dragons teams up with the TTFF.

www.cadragons.com
25-Feb-2005 - Chesapeake Athletic will serve as an affiliate of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation National Team Programs. Under the arrangement, youth players from Trinidad and Tobago will play with Chesapeake's Super Y League teams and in top-level tournaments and tours.
According to Chesapeake Founder and current TTFF Technical Director, Lincoln Phillips, " As part of the overall player development program I have created with the Ministry of Sport and Youth Affairs, this venture will give promising players from Trinidad and Tobago exposure to college coaches as well as get a jump on the rigors of college academics since they will also participate in summer college courses."
Phillips also added that two players from the U-20 National Team will join Chesapeake's U-19 team for the 2005 Dallas Cup and players from the U-17 pool will serve as the main group that will participate with Chesapeake during the summer in the Super Y League.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2005, 09:14:55 AM by Tallman »
Live large and prosper!

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
Re: Youth development
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 08:40:01 AM »
Ah wonder how this project going? :-\

Anton Corneal aims to implement proper youth development structure.

By: Shaun Fuentes.
25-Feb-2004 - Newly appointed Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation director of youth development Anton Corneal has pinpointed areas which he says needs immediate focus notwithstanding the fact that the main focus over the next year and more will be on the country's qualifying bid for the Germany 2006 World Cup Finals.
Corneal, along with technical director Lincoln Phillips were formally introduced to local coaches on Sunday at a meeting at the Dr Joao Havelange Centre of Excellence and both men spoke of measures being taken to ensure that specific emphasis is placed on the overall development of the game here away from the senior team's programme.
"When you think of my role around the technical committee, it's really one of setting up a structure for the game at the youth level. The problems we experienced at the top started maybe ten years ago and if we don't fix them, then they will continue to hamper our football. This is where the need comes in for us to place more emphasis on our nine, ten and up to 15 year olds who are playing the game in order to have a solid foundation to produce top teams at the Under 20, 23 and senior levels. Of course this will take time but any type of proper planning does take time,"Corneal told TTFF Media.
"We must have continuity from year to year because right now we are producing players ad-hoc. Some clubs do a good job and some coaches get a job done but they are not really doing it based on a structure but more from experience they have in the game. I am hoping this is where I can make a change," said Corneal who will also be serving as deputy technical director.
He added that among his first steps is to get local coaches on board a committee in order to have them all sharing the same vision.
"We need to have coaches aboard and letting them be part of this structure so they can have a better idea of what we are setting out to accomplish. From there we will be implementing systems involving youth teams and the development of the players in and out of competitions. This will all be done through a syllabus which in ways will be similar to a school syllabus and then we can measure the progress over a period of time.
Youth male and female clubs from various leagues starting from the Pro League right down to the amateur and community-based clubs as well as secondary to primary schools will be targeted by Corneal and his assistants.
Corneal, a former national player and youth team coach, has been working with the Piedmont Soccer Alliance club in North Carolina United States which is made up of 27-youth teams and continues to produce several players who make it into the United States Colleges Division One League through scholarships and have also had players move into the United States National youth programme.
"I am hoping that we can pretty do much the same here by getting our players to be able to compete at a high level internationally. This of course comes over a period of time, Some people are prepared to wait while others are not and I am hoping that we can go into a situation here where we can put that structure into place and see the fruits down the road," he added.
Live large and prosper!

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Youth development
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 04:51:53 PM »
You  should know better Doc, is the TTFF we dealing with, one thing today something else tomorrow.

TrinInfinite

Improving the TT Teams from Youth to National level
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 09:13:54 AM »
I know everybody is anxious and ting b4 de game 2 morrow but on a lighter note I had some ideas ah wanted to share, ah know sharing it on dis board, no one will spare de criticism, so its a good place tuh test my ideas ;D.

First off, watching and reading about the training camps in Brazil, i have learned that one of the fundamental tings dey do dat helps players control, trap and possess de ball better is dey practise with "over- inflated balls", dey bounce more and are harder to control. Dey use dese balls for running drills and so forth, also for receiving crosses and long balls. It has improved dere ball control dramatically and also dere ability to trap de ball.

Secondly i was watching a program and it was looking at how athletes actually see de game, their vision and how each athlete sees de field of play different than de next. Wat we should try to apply in trinidad is more drills and exercises that involve our eyes, for example good eye/hand coordination, but in dis case, good eyes to legs coordination, looking back and receiving balls, also stressin 2 de younger footballers dat rest and sleep all improve your ability to play and see de game itself.

Improving an athletes vision is important, u could reference it back to lara wit his vision problems, it affected his game terribly till he had it corrected. same with de footballers, vision tests and more exercises that involve sight, seeing the game, putting dem in instances to develop better field vision.

Dis is essential, along with diet and nutrition, kids need 2 stay away from d sweedrink an ting, more juice and water machines, milk also in de schools and at pratices

also people may laugh at dis, but many american footbal players take gymnastics and ballet 2 become more flexible and develop more balance on de field, i suggest our youth teams do dis also for flexibility and balance, dis will help dem avoid injuries and make dem more agile.

de next ting is de beep tests done in basketball and fitness drills, we need to implement dis in de youth level for performance and improvement, like at de diff levels, say under 17, we should have a checklist that says dat a certain player should b at dis level of fitness, ability, can trap, possess, pass and cross a ball, and also run wit balland have it under control, dese checklists should be implemented, if a certain players lacks in any of dese areas, he will be sent to work on dem and de players will b selected who have excelled in dese fields, dey will make de squad, while de other players who need dis work will be given assignments, juss like in basketball, de coaches made assignments for de players over de summer, on areas dey need 2 improve on, dis should b de same for our players, without a doubt

tell me allyuh fellas opinion

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
Re: Improving the TT Teams from Youth to National level
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005, 09:20:24 AM »
one addition though is playing table tennis before the games and on off time. the club i play 4 does this and it is said to drastically improve your reflexes. and it was not until playing u-23 i didnt know about dieting i was only told about sweetdrinks. and only certain clubs provide gatorade at practices. also swimming develops the body and is the most complete body workout one could get. one of our players did this and now he huge in comparison to his peers.good point though. :beermug:
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline Silver-Corbeaux

• Jr. Warrior
  • RF is really ah Trini hornchile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005, 09:33:14 AM »
Triniinfinite, you have made all very good points that should be implemented but like most of the positive posters on this forum you seem to forget one big thing, the attitude of todays youth.

The youth today have far more facilities and opportunities than their fathers did. Look at all the stadiums in TnT, we hosting youth World Cup, we have a pro league, we have role models who have played at the highest world level in Latas and Yorke, to name a few. Yet, the youth today with a handful of exceptions are not putting in the effort and working on changing their attitudes. (Poor attitudes, something that handicaps most talented youth)

I give you one unfortunate example that I witnessed firsthand, I invited a certain extremely talented player from our native land to try-out for my former alma mata in the US (a top college soccer program indeed,) because he asked if I could get him in to school on a scholarship. I arrange everthingwith the coach, and gone to pick up the player on the said day to fly out to the try-out (I Paid for tickets even.) You know the youth left to go a "Day-fete" lime somewhere in Brooklyn instead, and did not even say boo to me.

He even had the audacity to ask meh a week later if ah could find him something closer to NY.

Not me again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2005, 09:51:32 AM »
Wholesale shift in the level of professionalism in sport is what is needed.

We cannot simply implement a beep test and get more fit, why because in 3 years there maybe a different fitness regimen that will have twice and much results.

The idea is the mentality that we need to find new and innovative ways to get better using Naturally developed and also foreign techniques.

In Brazil clubs know they must develop good players so they constantly come up with new training to get better players.

In the US Players are motivated to make the big leagues and coaches are motivated by Winning.

In the US High Schools sport culture is to win win win.

This is what is lacking in Trinidad

some players may have the drive based on the hope of a big money foreign contract and recently a few Pro clubs are proping up that can benefit from youth development

But ask yourself this question.

The average club team coached by your daddy or the man down the street.
What is his motivation to go out and improve coaching methods year after year.

In America Coaching is a job.
Men pay their mortage based on how many wins their U12 team gets.

In Trinidad coaching is a hobby something you do because you like it, a fun thing in the community.

How many coaches of youth teams in Trinidad actualy depend on revenue from coaching as their sole source of income. Very few

need drive results

If the coach of Aranguez United was depending on his team being "Good" for the money to go and buy groceries, Bet your bottom dollar the team would be good.

We are an amature group trying to exsist in a professional world.

You cannot simulate need!
When players, coaches, Administrators, clubs need to improve and develop we will develop.

right now the majority of youth teams in TnT just want to do well.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2005, 10:19:55 AM »
I like the discussion that's going on here,there seem to be a consensus of constructive opinions on this subject,if we can achieve or put all this in place it would be the best thing for Football,but is T&T you dealing with.The bottom line is money today,that's what drives ppl,a little guy in Brazil knows where he can reach if he could play Football,in T&T they don't,there are a lot of top quality T&T Coaches out here in the US but need to be paid if they return they are professionals.   

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2005, 12:07:53 PM »
silver u right u know.  alot of times when some of these youths get good they head does swell up real fast.  i and all know of some excellent ballers who just fall by the wayside- they mind wasn't ready

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2005, 12:43:33 PM »
silver u right u know.  alot of times when some of these youths get good they head does swell up real fast.  i and all know of some excellent ballers who just fall by the wayside- they mind wasn't ready
Not every player can deal with stardom(certainly not T&Tplayers) that's why players today have managers,players have other things in their lives that they have to deal with,it's a matter of priorities and some don't have the patience to hang in their for the end results,the youths today want things overnight you and i know it does not happen that way.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2005, 12:50:49 PM »
Silver Corbeaux yuh make a good point about the youths nowadays not knowing how to handle deyself, but let me ask you one question. After this youthman did what he did to you, did you take the time to explain to him what he did wrong?

I believe that part of the problem nowadays is with the youth and their attitude yes, but I also believe that part of the reason for that while many people complain about the attitude of these youngsters, no one is taking the time to talk to them and give them guidance when they doing wrong. Now Corbeaux, I eh saying is your fault, or that you didn't try to correct him, I'm just saying that it is a problem in general. The mere fact that this youthman could just ups and go fete without telling you then ask you to find him something closer to NY a week later, mean to say that he eh tink nothing about blanking you and dat it wasn't no big deal.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Silver-Corbeaux

• Jr. Warrior
  • RF is really ah Trini hornchile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2005, 01:21:07 PM »
So Mose, I must take him to the river, then dip a cup of water, and pur it down he throat too?
Some ah dem youth eh easy dread, the other thing now is if he not dependible making choices for he own future, how he could be trusted to stay in the people school, attend training, and a maintain passing grade?

Some ah dem no amount ah spoon feeding will help, they make they bed so let them sleep in it.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2005, 04:16:35 PM »
Corbeaux, if nobody eh teaching dem, how dey go learn? None of we eh born knowing right from wrong and how live we life. Is somebody (parents, teachers, friends, family, ...) teach we dat.

I eh saying you have to do it Corbeaux, but if somebody doing wrong and obviously eh know it, dey go keep doing it until somebody teach/show them different. So yuh have 2 choices, either yuh leave him alone to continue what he doing or show him how he move wrong. Now dat eh mean yuh have to dip de water and pour it down he throat as yuh say, but yuh could at least let him know why yuh not bothering to help him again. Dat way maybe de next time somebody offer de youth a hand up he might take it more seriously.

Now I know it have some dat yuh just eh go be able to reach but we could at least try to help de others who might listen, and de only way to do it is by talking to them and showing dem de right way to go.

Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

TrinInfinite

Where are the youths? Beenhakker speaks out
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2005, 03:03:10 AM »
The express just released an article on the meeting in POS with Beenhakker, the gov't giving him an open contract for 2 years after the world cup, also we only have 2 games b4 de world cup, on feb 8th and march 29th, we going a month b4 2 prepare and we playing friendlies they, also we training with 10 locals for the squad and 10 in europe/england, beenhakker asking where are the u15 youths that he saw that are extremely talented, where are the u17 and so on, he wants 2 know why dey are not being groomed and y we send dem home, very good points, our nation, the ttff and de govt need 2 start taking responsibility and running de nation properly 4 de kids of the next generation, beenhakker said we have no future after the world cup, if we have no youths 2 take over, very valid point.

Offline behind-de-bridge

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Where are the youths? Beenhakker speaks out
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2005, 05:07:34 AM »
Beenhakker's point seems obvious to me

Offline Cowen

• Hero Warrior
  • Conquer without risk is to triumph without Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2005, 05:33:42 AM »
The TTFF did the same thing with the under 17 from the WC down here. Only Kenwyn in the survivor from that bunch. The U20 from last's years tournament ....... not one training with the side or even around now. Keon Daniel.... Hayden Tinto... Abu bakr.... Lara.

Look out for the same for the U15. There was this little white boy on the U15... real talent........TTFF is a waste of time.

Check the danger  :beermug:
Attended Mad Mad University
Studied Madology
Obtained a Mad Mad Degree

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2005, 06:33:23 AM »
 I glad he point it out because that is the problem all the time....The young players not getting enough exposure on the youth international stage and when they get older we expect them to perform on the senior level for the country.I had always said that...This is one of the reasons i didn't like BSC ways...Although he did pick some young players that he knew, he left out a lot of local talent most of the time...During BSC reign as coach,I wouldn't have minded if we failed to qualify ,with young players because i know next time they would have been ready(but I GLAD WE DID)..Go T&T

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2005, 08:09:19 AM »
Any time this Topic comes up is the things you hear,it's been going on for years,nothing Benie is saying should be new to any one,is just that because Benie says it people opening their eyes.T&T have always had talent we strive on natural talent,i must give the Coaches we have had over the years a lot of credit for what they have done with the limited knowledge and experience they had.
Again look at our history,we have a major problem with continuation eg our national teams Snr/Youth/Women before every tournament we get together some days/weeks to prepare and after the tournament the team disperse until another one comes up.The reason tournaments are spaced out is to give you the time to prepare eg WC 4yrs,Olympics,PFL,Colleges League.
We never really had a youth system in T&T we have to thank the Colleges League for produceing the players our country have,we might say the TTFF is to blame,yes it's their responsibility but this is T&T and you will know the cycle that goes on,we blame TTFF and they blame the Government (it's all talk and no action),one man decide to act this time and look at the results(smile).Every sport we have is going through that same thing is just that they don't have a "Jack Warner" to stand up and talk for them else you would hear the problems they are having.
My hope is that Lincoln gets the support and help he needs because i know he's been out here longer than i and has the experience of being in the system at all levels,if he can surround himself with a good staff things can work,i will still say i would rather see locals being trained for the jobs at home,we have a lot locals doing very good work in foreign countries(just a suggestion).             

truetrini

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2005, 09:04:02 AM »
Beenis saying dat so man reacting.

Licoln say dat and Alvin and dem want to take de 16 million away from he.

steups.

Jack Warner doing dis to T&T football all dis time and becasue we make ah world cup...he is ah god.

steups!

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2005, 09:56:05 AM »
ive been sayin dat on this board whole year benhakkker wud rather incorproate more like kenwyne and others rather than bring a plethora of foreigners an invade d camp

tinto step ups to the plate let beenie get a taste of he an it go be pressure
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline naparimaoldboy

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2005, 10:21:24 AM »
the majority of the best players in the school league get scholarships and depart to the US.  this leaves trini without its best players to groom for the future.  the players that go straight to the pfl are not the cream of the crop of local stars.  to me this is the reason why tnt is not reapeating itself with star performers on a regular. it took 16 years to get beck a chance to make it to the world cup. 

jesus christ is lord
john 3:16 "for god so loved the world he gave his only begotten son that whosover believe in him shall not perish but have eternal life"
jesus is the answer
give your life to him today

Offline doublet750

• Hero Warrior
  • mi nuevo nombre es dinho mi vida es joga bonito
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2005, 10:27:46 AM »
well My name is Miguel Rodriguez.... i was born in Mount Hope on may 5th 1988 i live in New York now and i play for SC GJOA ...its a club here in brooklyn and this past thanksgiving weekend we went to New Jersey for a College Showcase tournament and came second.......I am now being scouted to go to Emmanuel College in Boston Massachusets and it seems like the TTFF will never have any idea of how to organize youths as my info has been with them since i was invited to train with teh Under 17's last year (they failed to advance from their group for the fifa under 17 qualification ) and thus they disintegrated teh team and no opportunity for me was provided. Can someone please help me with info as to what i can do now

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2005, 10:50:30 AM »
Glad to see Beenie looking down the line.  We need to keep him for about two years so that he could assist in a development structure for our youths.  I all honesty, this is what Lincoln has been trying to do, but man fighting him down.

truetrini

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2005, 11:26:21 AM »
exactly.  see it dey?  money invole so now alvin and dem hounding it down.

mafia style ting.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2005, 11:29:03 AM »
Hmmmm well i really doh know nah...but fellas i think we should start doin our own scouting to...if yuh have tapes or something of players willing to play(GOOD PLAYERS EH NO FREN FREN TING) we could probably send them to Tallman and see if he could get dem to the relevant ppl

this is the point exactly. ttff cannot work the way it was set up. it's time a network outside of ttff evolved to do some of the things that ttff is failing to do. LP running into politics - that's fine. anyone could see that ttff is a set of politics and that isn't going to change - more money only making it more politics. we need to find a way around it. it starts by working outside of the ttff.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2005, 11:57:49 AM »
the majority of the best players in the school league get scholarships and depart to the US.  this leaves trini without its best players to groom for the future.  the players that go straight to the pfl are not the cream of the crop of local stars.  to me this is the reason why tnt is not reapeating itself with star performers on a regular. it took 16 years to get beck a chance to make it to the world cup. 

What i'm saying is why are we only useing the Colleges League to develope our players,players gong on scholarships should not be a problem,our Youths play Football half the year what happen to the other half,i know there are Youth Leagues that were started recently but how many kids across the country participates,who Coaches them is the next problem.In my time Minor League was the thing,all our best players developed in Minor League Football not Colleges League,any where you go in the country had a Minor League and you could of play in any one you wanted too that's how we learned the game,people might say times have changed and i know that but the few Minor Leagues it have today have more crowds than a PFL game.

TrinInfinite

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2005, 12:00:13 PM »
i have also been sayin dis for a long time 2 include more youths in de team, in my opnion, me need a better tracking and scouting program for the youths of trinidad and abroad, yuh know wat, we need tuh do dis ourselves now and take iniative, cheering 4 our team doesnt seem like its enough

vibes it up

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2005, 12:22:00 PM »
Glad to see Beenie looking down the line.  We need to keep him for about two years so that he could assist in a development structure for our youths.  I all honesty, this is what Lincoln has been trying to do, but man fighting him down.
I honestly wish they do,but he will not last very long in this environment,Benie is not a Trini he is strictly business and fustration will step in after a while because you can't tell him you have no money,if you check every off day he gets he goes back to Holland,you think he really wants to stay in sweet T&T?
Lincoln is having it tough and i expected this,i get certain vibes when ever i go home and my feelings are the local Coaches/Players feel very insecure when ever the foreign based are around,is like you come to take their job or place, they look at you like who he think he is(it's a mentality),i know a lot of us out here have offered to come home and do Camps/Clinics/Lectures etc but it's an uphill battle,i know it's some of us Bread and Butter but in the end who suffers, our Football.      

TrinInfinite

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2005, 12:52:05 PM »
coops i agree wit u fully, de attitude needs 2 change, de coaches home feel dey know eveyrthing, when dey dont, dey need more training and need 2 understand dat dere are better that can coach our talent, beenhakker doh stay in tt long bc right now nothing is goin on home, no programs or money is being spent on him being dere 2 coach and train right now, de govt and ttff havent come 2 any solid deal and right now dey wasting our nation and bennhakker time, and most importantly de players time

truetrini

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2005, 12:59:51 PM »
coops i agree wit u fully, de attitude needs 2 change, de coaches home feel dey know eveyrthing, when dey dont, dey need more training and need 2 understand dat dere are better that can coach our talent, beenhakker doh stay in tt long bc right now nothing is goin on home, no programs or money is being spent on him being dere 2 coach and train right now, de govt and ttff havent come 2 any solid deal and right now dey wasting our nation and bennhakker time, and most importantly de players time

yuh eh know waht de hell yuh talking about.

Is de TD job to do dem tings.

Beenahkker go be TD and Coach and scout?

steups.

Let de TD do he job, nobody eh saying dat Beenie cannot hold seminars etc.  But dat is de TD job to set up dem seminars etc.

De local coaches are good, not great but why is de government fault dat de coaches eh trained as well as dey should be/

dat is de individuals choice and also de TTFF's.  is dem in charge ah football.

Besides there has been a lot of training for local coaches in de last 2 years.

1]; } ?>