March 28, 2024, 04:10:07 PM

Poll

Do you think that there was money involved in the Nov 19th 1989 game?

Yes
7 (16.3%)
No
26 (60.5%)
Maybe
6 (14%)
Not sure
4 (9.3%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Voting closed: December 02, 2005, 08:55:41 PM

Author Topic: Was the Strike Squad a sell out???  (Read 6436 times)

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
Re: Was the Strike Squad a sell out???
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2005, 07:35:51 AM »
I do not believe all the players did I think 1 stricker and 2 defenders had a part to play in it. (Ball over the cross bar, sun in my eyes >:( , then it the ball low)

Please understand this is my oppinion. and like every one has an ass so do we all have oppinions.
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2005, 08:36:15 AM »
no way that was a sellout-players got zero money.  them fellas wasn't living a rich life after 89.

been a while but i can't remember any great number of scoring chances.  We created little at all that whole game.
We did not show up on the day and lost.  no conspiracy or money pass from US to TT.  them yankess looked  hungrier that game than we did.
the tickets and overcrowding scenario- i ain't know what happened there, but that did not affect what happened on the field.

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2005, 08:55:56 AM »
Just curious because i was havin ah debate earlier on with some fellas who believe that the game was a sell out. And i strongly disagree!!! What you people think?
bredgin this  question should never ever ever be asked..This  question is a total disrespect to members of de strike squad..I bet mi last cent ,de members of de strike squad is and will always be loved more than members of the warriors.. The strikesquad had a country behind dem from de begining and not from the last flicking game!!!!!!!!! I beg fi this question to be pulled from this forum right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Show sum Respect to de Strike squad..There will always be warriors but there will never ever be another strike squad!!!!!!!!!!!
warmonga..
Black Lives Matter..

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2005, 09:49:33 AM »
it was no sell out the team just lose. i was in the stadium, i get crush and i cry when game was over, but fact still remain we lost.

we was football naive, we thought we had the US beat, we start celebrating before the game ever start, and USA score the goal. as Kicker say, iz time we get over Nov 19th and move on.

TrinInfinite

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2005, 09:53:13 AM »
it was a sell out, US needed a victory 2 host de world cup, dis was big money for fifa havin a nation like de us come into football, of course it was a sell out, de US only had tuh pay one man and dat was de goal keeper

Offline pioneertrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2005, 09:55:14 AM »
yeh i hear it was a sellout, i believe it was. my father an dem talk about it and i hear a few tings when i was younger. my dads best friend was minister of sport or somthing. i hear money passed high up, also i would never belive the whole team would sell it but i hear a couple players did and that is what makes the difference. remember 16 years ago players financial situations was very different to now. but of course some people cant be bought.

Offline pioneertrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2005, 09:58:36 AM »
it was a sell out, US needed a victory 2 host de world cup, dis was big money for fifa havin a nation like de us come into football, of course it was a sell out, de US only had tuh pay one man and dat was de goal keeper

yeh USA was hostin the nex cup aswell so it was real big money for fifa. in the grand scheme of ting it just made no sense for little Trinidadto  go to the world cup wen USA could. and he can all see the effect it is having. wen usa commint fully to football lard rel money runnin

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2005, 10:04:10 AM »
TI and pioneer like unnuh cya read?.. yu nuh see wey war jes sey bredda leggo de f**kery talk and stop diss de Strike squad..Bout money pass..wey de rass money pass eh?.. No member of De strke squad living  big life style..I. Mi know sey nuf young people innah de forum but cool nuh bredgin ..How yu fi talk f**kery like dat ?...Big up de strike squad any waey dem dey!!!!!!!!!!!One bad call cause dat Nov 19th game..read mi signature and yu will see what am talking bout..
warmonga...
Black Lives Matter..

Offline pioneertrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2005, 11:09:06 AM »
im telling u what i hear, wether u belive it or not is your buisness, i dont understand what u mean by none of dem livin big lifestyle? when people get bribe its not for millions is it, not back then anyhow. and like i said i heard money pass high up, look at ya sig. referee ???

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2005, 11:14:58 AM »
I have a question for all you forumites,here it is if you or your team coaches or managers were approached by a u.s. delegation assuring each player a large purse and citizenship would you take it,after all it's supposedly the greatest and wealthiest country in the world.now do think that's a good enough reason.  

who say usa is dey greatest country in dey world....maybe the wealthiest (after china, saudi, japan) but not the greatest.
and for all the money and citizenship in dey world, i ain't giving up tnt. ah maybe living in canada but meh heart still in maracas bay eating bake and shark

look at what is happening in the usa right now. if ya fart to hard is terrorist, if ah plane fly too low is terrorist, not even ah homeless person picking up dey bag that was left in dey park anymore, fus he fraid, ya president only coming on dey damn tv screen talking about war, war, and more war.  but ah want him to interfer with north korea. all dem youngas between dey ages of 18-25 coming back from dey war minus ah hand, foot, eye, hearing gone, mental ability in ah mess, and now they hafta look for jobs to support dey family. doh lemme start about unemployment percentage in dey usa.
steupssssssssssss.

it ain't worth it nah...forget ya money and green card, i go stand up on marli street in dey hot sun :beermug:

Offline pioneertrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2005, 11:18:30 AM »
yes i agree no way is usa the grestest, they only the wealthiest. but i go leave my political view for another thread  ;D

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2005, 11:45:46 AM »
the usa get draws to guatemala away and el salvador at home just before nov 19.

they were probably expecking to make at least 4 points, but only make 2 points which put them into 3rd place. if they had won at least 1 of those games they would have the advantage.

so, i could see the usa willing to bribe to win that last game.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2005, 12:16:15 PM »
Well to me we get rob of a blatant penalty when philbert jones get push down by john doyle in de penalty box.
So to me if anything i find de refereeing  was dodgy.

JAH BLESS RASTAFARI

I agree with Rastafari, we were again cheated in 1989 of world cup qualification by a blatant refereeing error as we were 4 times in 1973 against Haiti.

Warmonga's signature gives a good summary!

Our Strike Squad were and are still Heroes! They are not sell-outs not a single one of them as they did their best and deserved to have qualified for the 1990 World Cup.

Its not their fault that the ref had a US bias, if anyone suspected him of being offered a bribe they should have investigated that referee and disciplined him but let by-gones be by-gones as we will shake up Germany next year and take our place from hence-forth as World Cup regulars!  ;D  8)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 03:27:02 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2005, 01:05:40 PM »
it was no sell out the team just lose. i was in the stadium, i get crush and i cry when game was over, but fact still remain we lost.

we was football naive, we thought we had the US beat, we start celebrating before the game ever start, and USA score the goal. as Kicker say, iz time we get over Nov 19th and move on.

Amen!
Just accept that Nov 19 is no longer the most important day on our football now, and we got beat from a better team on the day, end of story.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2005, 01:47:43 PM »
I would love to get my hands on a a copy of the game on Nov 19.  Anybody have it in de archives??

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2005, 02:35:54 PM »
Our national team at the time was on par with the U.S......give or take............. so why is it so inconceivable that they could edge us 1-0 in a fair game game ?

It's not like we beat them 4-0 the week before.....

We are so hypocritical. We get upset when Guatemalans and Bahrainis accuse us of selling out..then we're quick to pull the same card when the situation is reversed.......shameful

The problem is myopia...when people get too caught up in an event, they lose sight of everything else around them........Trinis forgot (and still disregard the fact) that the U.S. wanted that game as bad as we did.......maybe more......it was 11v11, both teams were hungry........ and we weren't playing a team that we were used to beating.......so the whole suspicion of selling out is just due to the fact that we thought it was our destiny to go to the World Cup in '90...and nothing could stand in front of it...........

WE WERE WRONG !!!!!! ADMIT IT !!! WHAT STOOD IN FRONT OF US WAS A YOUNG HUNGRY U.S.A TEAM THAT WAS GOING TO GIVE THEIR ALL TO WIN THAT GAME BECAUSE THEY NEEDED TO, JUST LIKE WE NEEDED TO "WIN" IN BAHRAIN IN OUR FINAL GAME ON NOVEMBER 16TH!!!

If there was a sell out......so be it......but unless you know 4 sure....... accept that we lost fairly and move on....................
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 02:43:28 PM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Baygo Boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2005, 02:42:28 PM »
I have viewed that game 7 times since then, and I must conclude that there is nothing to suggerst that any T&T player sold out. I questioned Cummings decision to play Dwight when he did, but I am from Tobago.

We lost that game fair and square.

Offline behind-de-bridge

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2005, 02:51:08 PM »
This is like the Bahraini's wondering if Jack pay their team to sell out to we (Silly speculation). So somebody pay Maurice to let in that fluke USA goal, hmmm. The Strike Squad lost that match before it was played because their preparation before the game was even jokier than KND's schedule for the Warriors. Let it rest nah, it was not to be 1989. Nothing happens before its time.

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2005, 03:05:25 PM »
 Boy THis an idiot post

Offline Socaman

• Live Yuh Life Like Yuh Playin Mas!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2005, 03:09:59 PM »
Our national team at the time was on par with the U.S......give or take............. so why is it so inconceivable that they could edge us 1-0 in a fair game game ?

It's not like we beat them 4-0 the week before.....

We are so hypocritical. We get upset when Guatemalans and Bahrainis accuse us of selling out..then we're quick to pull the same card when the situation is reversed.......shameful

The problem is myopia...when people get too caught up in an event, they lose sight of everything else around them........Trinis forgot (and still disregard the fact) that the U.S. wanted that game as bad as we did.......maybe more......it was 11v11, both teams were hungry........ and we weren't playing a team that we were used to beating.......so the whole suspicion of selling out is just due to the fact that we thought it was our destiny to go to the World Cup in '90...and nothing could stand in front of it...........

WE WERE WRONG !!!!!! ADMIT IT !!! WHAT STOOD IN FRONT OF US WAS A YOUNG HUNGRY U.S.A TEAM THAT WAS GOING TO GIVE THEIR ALL TO WIN THAT GAME BECAUSE THEY NEEDED TO, JUST LIKE WE NEEDED TO "WIN" IN BAHRAIN IN OUR FINAL GAME ON NOVEMBER 16TH!!!

If there was a sell out......so be it......but unless you know 4 sure....... accept that we lost fairly and move on....................
i really don't know why men still believe that we sell out...Who got paid? Michael Maurice??? I DON'T THINK SOOOO...The reason some people say we sold out the game was the fact that we had the team all the way in south and they went to church that morning then had to sit in ah freaking small maxi and sit in all that traffic to the stadium...so they think it was a plan to put de team thru all that on game day...I think it was a lack of exprience from the T&T team....we started celebrating to early...The US was focus and 10-15 minutes from the stadium..And they just got a lucky goal on us or i should say a shit goal on us.....

Offline marcus

• Sr. Warrior
  • BLOOD, SWEAT & TEARS
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2005, 03:28:38 PM »
what da &@^# dont even bring this shyt up now!

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2005, 07:00:30 PM »
Let us drop dis nah..Nov 19th lost has now turned into Nov 16th WIN!! time to move on with the positive and forget the negative..and what if it was a sellout? what next? man we going Germany 2006...to hell wid Italy 1990...
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline whayuhsay

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2005, 07:29:40 PM »
Ah juss want tuh add meh 2 cents here.

1 cent)  De players no way no how sellout.  IF somebody sellout is de hire ups who tire de team out before de game.  Whoever had dem fellas on a bus for 4 hours, send dem to church and all kindah a headache in de hotsun before the game, IF anybody sell out is de intentional effort to tire the team out before the game by someone on the administrative level.

2 cent) Me eh care what allyuh say, Michael Maurice was the best goalkeeper to ever come out of TnT.  Whoever remember how good dat man save against Flamingo with Zico and dem boyz, de man was a big star.  Yes, he might have been able to save that ball if the sun was not in his eyes but the shot or lob whatever yuh want to call it was well placed, he get ketch off guard, I am not sure i would blame that on him, but I agree it is a ball that could have been saved but no one is perfect.

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2005, 09:36:03 PM »
anybody have this game on vcr or dvd?..i want to see all them chances Manfriday say we throw away..all i could remeber bout that game is that stupid goal we concede..the match itself was a daze cause it had no action..was almost surreal to a point.
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2005, 10:59:15 PM »
Fishs what you saying boy?

Baldy is alive and well.

Oh shit, sorry about that .
Anyhow it could translate to RIP NAR.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2005, 11:53:14 PM »
this suggestion is asinine
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2005, 02:12:24 AM »
I believe in Micheal Mourice

2 cent) Me eh care what allyuh say, Michael Maurice was the best goalkeeper to ever come out of TnT. Whoever remember how good dat man save against Flamingo with Zico and dem boyz, de man was a big star. Yes, he might have been able to save that ball if the sun was not in his eyes but the shot or lob whatever yuh want to call it was well placed, he get ketch off guard, I am not sure i would blame that on him, but I agree it is a ball that could have been saved but no one is perfect.

Michael Was the best. I lived in the same town with his brother. He is not the blame. The game is gone we are moving on. The Strike Squad was my heros. I believe that someone just used bad judgement somewhere.
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2005, 04:28:57 AM »
Themanfriday 
It was a damn sell out. We could have beatten the US silly. I watched the game people missing the goal with no goalie from right infront it. I mean it was to obvious. This was the US's greatest opportunity to get to the WC and they did all that was nessary to get there. I was ashamed of the squad. to know that they took whatever was offered over our countries honor. If any of you guys have access to vedio of the game you would see exactly what I am talking about. I am not an emotional person but that is the most sore topic 

Michael Was the best. I lived in the same town with his brother. He is not the blame. The game is gone we are moving on. The Strike Squad was my heros. I believe that someone just used bad judgement somewhere.

Confession good for the soul. ;D ;D ;D
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline jaden

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2005, 07:15:11 AM »
not a sellout, not by a long shot, we lost the game fair and square.but i think the issue of sellout arose more of a consolation for the public than anything else.the fact remains that the build up to italia 90 was far more passionate than now and people needed dome explanation to console their sorrows because in 89 there was no way we could lose against the USA and we lost.
mistakes are stepping stones to success

1]; } ?>