April 26, 2024, 11:50:41 AM

Author Topic: T&T eye English warm-up  (Read 4799 times)

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
T&T eye English warm-up
« on: November 30, 2005, 11:34:11 AM »
SkySports
T&T eye English warm-up

Surprise World Cup qualifiers Trinidad and Tobago have reportedly been offered the use of West Ham's Upton Park for a warm-up friendly before the finals in Germany next summer.

Leo Beenhakker's side made history by becoming the smallest ever country to reach the World Cup after beating Bahrain in a play-off, and are believed to be keen to establish a training camp in England before flying to Germany.

The Caribbean nation boast a host of English-based players, and a friendly encounter against Scotland could be on the cards.

Soca Warriors goalkeeper Shaka Hislop could turn out on his home turf as The Hammers have reputedly offered the international outfit use of Upton Park.

Whilst no official confirmation is yet forthcoming, Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation special advisor Austin Jack Warner has confirmed that only one warm-up game will be held on home soil.

"One thing is for certain is that we shall only play one match in T&T," said Warner.

"Coach Beenhakker wants the public to be given a match as recognition for their tremendous support towards the team and this match will be the one on March 29.

"Local matches for the Warriors after this date is no longer on the cards"
« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 11:35:52 AM by Jayerson »

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
Re: T&T eye English warm-up
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 12:01:42 PM »
Scotland would be a good option if we draw in the same group as hosts Germany!!! Berti Vogts have Scotland playing a germman quickfire physical brand of football. Also would be good to see where we are now since we last played them. As well as where we are vs the likes of the US who could only muster a draw against them a few months ago
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 12:16:48 PM »
A World Cup warm-up game T&T vs Scotland at Upton Park would be a fruitful option for T&T in preparation for playing similar styled teams in Germany! I would definitely be able to attend such a game along with the rest of the 'Soca Army' and 'Warrior Tribe' based in London and the rest of the UK!  8)
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline skins

• Barca4ever
  • Hero Warrior
  • orginally from san do
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 12:26:37 PM »
I had a feeling we would have played a warm up match against Scotland since a majority of our players in the united kingdom.

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 12:49:28 PM »
Uncle Jack can we get a game in Miami too fuh meh please!!! Even if its againt the US.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 01:05:07 PM »
It would be interesting to play Scotland in de sense of a "before and after" exhibit of the Warriors. Under BSC dey beat us 3-1 or someting, but under Beenhakker's current team we are sure to get a much better result.

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline behind-de-bridge

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 01:12:37 PM »
Scotland beat us 4-1 and to be honest we were so bad, an intercol team would have beat us. Back then, we had an excuse for a midfield (Eve, Dwarika, Mason). Also, Vogts is no longer Scotland's manager, as it is now Walter Smith (who is Scottish). Scotland game has also improved since last year, but it would be nice to see if we could compete with one of the 'lesser' Eoropean teams (no offence, my Scottish breds!)

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 01:57:27 PM »
Scotland would be a good option if we draw in the same group as hosts Germany!!! Berti Vogts have Scotland playing a germman quickfire physical brand of football. Also would be good to see where we are now since we last played them. As well as where we are vs the likes of the US who could only muster a draw against them a few months ago

berti vogts was fired as scotland's head coach long time now, even before benhakker was hired as ours.

i think that your point is a bit weak! 
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2005, 02:01:05 PM »

Berti Voghts was sacked of the Scotland job over a year ago. I doubt they still play the same style ball now. They looked OK in their last friendly game, I think vs the USA - game ended 1-1 I believe.

Offline Aymir

• JABLOTEH FOREVER
  • Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Jabloteh
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2005, 02:19:28 PM »
scotland is a rubbish team. ;D

i cannot see why we would want to play them unless we have no other choice yeah.  ???

we do not need a side that will give us a 'sweat' instead we need to play a side that will bring a different look out of us both in attack and defence so that beenhakker knows what options he has depending on how our group looks. we not goin to make up numbers we going to compete in this wc yeah

by that match we would already know the draw and if african and south american teams are in our group we cannot afford to be caught by surprise and overwhelmed by say the likes of togo yeah

i think it was under beenhakker that we played alianza lima yeah and i hope that is not the closest we come to south american or african opposition.

Offline DeeTillEhDie

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2005, 02:24:51 PM »
Scotland rubbish? we drew with USA which r over 50 places above us in the world we cant be that bad! berti vogts made us crap were back on track now though sadly too late to qualify for the WC... >:(

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2005, 02:27:22 PM »

i cannot see why we would want to play them unless we have no other choice yeah.  ???

we do not need a side that will give us a 'sweat' instead we need to play a side that will bring a different look out of us both in attack and defence so that beenhakker knows what options he has depending on how our group looks. we not goin to make up numbers we going to compete in this wc yeah

by that match we would already know the draw and if african and south american teams are in our group we cannot afford to be caught by surprise and overwhelmed by say the likes of togo yeah

i think it was under beenhakker that we played alianza lima yeah and i hope that is not the closest we come to south american or african opposition.

You have to be careful of how you go choose warm up opponents leading up to the finals. Scotland would no doubt be good opponent for T&T. You would also do well to engage at least 2 teams who are on the same level as you. If you play all your warm upgames with teams who are way ahead of you (Brazil, Germany, england, France et), you will more than likely end up not being able to fine tune your game. I think T&T should play Jamaica...in Kingston  :challenge:

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2005, 02:29:37 PM »
Scotland rubbish? we drew with USA which r over 50 places above us in the world we cant be that bad! berti vogts made us crap were back on track now though sadly too late to qualify for the WC... >:(

So you see tiening the USA as a good result? I thought you would see it as a poor result for you, seeing that you were playing at home. I always wonder why it is that most Europen teams seldom play friendly games outside of Europe. Has Italy for instance ever played Brazil in the Maracana? Has Scotland ever played Nigeria in Lagos?

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2005, 02:59:57 PM »

Yo Aymir, how yuh could make a comment like that? Yuh forget some of our elite players play in Scotland and there are a lot of Scottish forumites and Warrior fans on this site. Show some respect and think before yuh post nah breddren!

« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 03:23:30 PM by Fire Brand »
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline Aymir

• JABLOTEH FOREVER
  • Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Jabloteh
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2005, 03:08:18 PM »
go easy firebrand ...in trinidalk 'doh get no horrors'.... i was jus kicksing ...that is why i used the  ;D sign because i was just being a bit mischeivous and i was referring to the national team not the club teams.

actually scotland would be good competition for us but i like to take the mickey out of my scottish mates and tease them a bit.

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2005, 03:21:47 PM »
go easy firebrand ...in trinidalk 'doh get no horrors'.... i was jus kicksing ...that is why i used the  ;D sign because i was just being a bit mischeivous and i was referring to the national team not the club teams.

actually scotland would be good competition for us but i like to take the mickey out of my scottish mates and tease them a bit.

cool bro... I know where yuh coming from, but some of our Scottish breddrens and sistrens may take it differently. Now if yuh had made dat comment about Jamaica yuh wouldn't get a word outta me :rotfl:

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2005, 03:28:44 PM »
go easy firebrand ...in trinidalk 'doh get no horrors'.... i was jus kicksing ...that is why i used the ;D sign because i was just being a bit mischeivous and i was referring to the national team not the club teams.

Boss yuh go upset we Scottish brethren them. I pick Scotland to keep up their current trend of improvement and make South Africa 2010.  They doing well under Smith, and they have some decent talent coming through--Fletcher and McFadden--in particular.  They're not producing legendary players like Strachan and Dalgish right now, but they will get it right for 2010.

Offline Cowen

• Hero Warrior
  • Conquer without risk is to triumph without Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2005, 04:02:03 PM »

You have to be careful of how you go choose warm up opponents leading up to the finals. Scotland would no doubt be good opponent for T&T. You would also do well to engage at least 2 teams who are on the same level as you. If you play all your warm upgames with teams who are way ahead of you (Brazil, Germany, england, France et), you will more than likely end up not being able to fine tune your game. I think T&T should play Jamaica...in Kingston  :challenge:

You contradict yourself. We must play teams on our level .... and Jamaica dosesn't qualify at present. It'll be better if we play a local PFL side. :devil:
Attended Mad Mad University
Studied Madology
Obtained a Mad Mad Degree

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2005, 04:31:31 PM »

You have to be careful of how you go choose warm up opponents leading up to the finals. Scotland would no doubt be good opponent for T&T. You would also do well to engage at least 2 teams who are on the same level as you. If you play all your warm upgames with teams who are way ahead of you (Brazil, Germany, england, France et), you will more than likely end up not being able to fine tune your game. I think T&T should play Jamaica...in Kingston  :challenge:

You contradict yourself. We must play teams on our level .... and Jamaica dosesn't qualify at present. It'll be better if we play a local PFL side. :devil:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2005, 04:40:29 PM »

Fair enough boss! But Scotland didnt qualify also! I was actually reffering to teams that  are close to youin terms of FIFA ranking....in any case, Jamaica is way above, so I guess there is some merit in your response  ;D. Eh eh. Anyway, are you saying that you are only going to play teams that have qualified for the world cup? you'll agree with me that there are some teams sitting at home that could hammer the living daylights out of some of teh qualified teams! See my point? I'm still hoping to see you guys in teh Office some time soon!  :challenge:

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2005, 04:44:17 PM »
we all know that you are talking about jamrock beating brasil

but how about this, go and beat australia first :rotfl:
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline Baygo Boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2005, 06:14:50 PM »
I personally would love to see us play teams that are very offensive minded - maybe some of the African teams. Japan would be another good warm-up because of their tenacious approach to the game, they are fighters to the end -our team will HAVE to play hard for 90 minutes in order to compete.

Remember that the purpose of warm-ups is to help tweak areas that we are weak in, playing teams like Brazil, France etc may not be in our best interest - simply because they just won't take us seriously, and most likely will not play their big names.

I am not for playing JA - not that I don't thing that they are good enough, but because they may not be very kind to our players on the field (injuries).

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2005, 06:39:21 PM »
Why would we want to play jamrock? And why in Killerton? We should play only teams going to Germany. Raggafart is only begging for licks.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2005, 07:17:02 PM »
Why would we want to play jamrock? And why in Killerton? We should play only teams going to Germany. Raggafart is only begging for licks.

There are a bunch of teams who have not qualified who can give us a very good game...and like it or not, Jamaica is one of them..............people who believe otherwise, either know nothing about football, or are just carried away by our qualification hype....

Trinidad beat Bahrain 1-0 and all of a sudden we're in a differenct class to Jamaica-------- ???.....that's retarded thinking

We need to wake back up and realize the long road we still have to trod to be competitive....Jamaica is a good warm-up on that road.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2005, 07:55:04 PM »
I always wonder why it is that most Europen teams seldom play friendly games outside of Europe. Has Italy for instance ever played Brazil in the Maracana? Has Scotland ever played Nigeria in Lagos?

They make more money playing in Europe.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2005, 08:13:14 PM »
Easy Kicker, I was just tring to tease Raggafart. I know that Jamrock is a good match for us  ;)

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2005, 12:23:32 AM »
:praying: Dear God

Answers meh prayers nah.....AH WANT TO SEE WARRIORS vs USA reel bad
And ah sure alot of trinis won't mind this game either infact if there was a choice between scotland and usa.
people would prefer ah match between us and usa

Is not like dey warriors have something to prove ya know....we done prove that already on glorious wednesday.
ah just want that match again.

Amen
 :praying:

Offline BigToe

• Hero Warrior
  • Laaaaard, ah cyan take it no more
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2005, 01:20:07 AM »
Uncle Jack can we get a game in Miami too fuh meh please!!! Even if its againt the US.

Rumor has it that we might get one.

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2005, 03:40:14 AM »
Play scottlang i will leave Germany to see it. Got Family there too.
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2005, 05:32:48 AM »

So you see tiening the USA as a good result? I thought you would see it as a poor result for you, seeing that you were playing at home. I always wonder why it is that most Europen teams seldom play friendly games outside of Europe. Has Italy for instance ever played Brazil in the Maracana? Has Scotland ever played Nigeria in Lagos?

Boss not even Brasil plays friendlies in Brasil.

1]; } ?>