April 26, 2024, 12:35:56 PM

Author Topic: The 5 greatest sporting moments in T&T  (Read 14482 times)

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
Re: The 5 greatest sporting moments in T&T
« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2005, 05:22:41 PM »
fli answer me this question

put yourself in a foreigner shoes

would you be surprised to see trini,jamaica,and usa take first second and third in the 100m final?
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline Israel

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2005, 05:26:11 PM »
Ato you r right. Men probably saying d qualification was better than Hasely's gold because we still in the moment of all d hype and celebration. But Hasley winning the gold means he was the BEST IN THE WORLD, the soca warriors are not.

So morvantman are u saying that if T&T was a more 'track & Field' oriented country and we came last in an olympic 100m final but won the FIFA world cup that the last place in the 100m final is the greater sport moment?
If a rasta in a coma, is he still conscious?

Offline FLi !

• Luck is recognising the opportunities when they arise
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2005, 05:26:22 PM »
in 1976, NO ONE would have expected hasely to even make that final, much less win gold.
Today, thanks to efforts of pioneers such as ato, amongst many other trinidadian and jamaican athletes who have honed their skills under advanced facilities in the US, it is now more common to see us qualify for the 100m, but that is still not to understate the massive achievement hasely made, because the fact remains, we still haven not gotten another gold.

Alternatively, with all the foreign based players we have etc...we've only just qualified.....
Director of Waggonist Prosecutions (DWP)

Special Advisor to WN(UK)

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2005, 05:27:31 PM »
I understand the football bias in here - I know what house I am visiting - (similarly, on ANY track site anyone ranking any "mere" WC football 'qualification' over a 100m Olympic medal of any colour would be laughed out of the site) but at the end of the day I am not tryin' to big myself up - I not even concerned with the bottom half of that list. I REPEAT.  Don't matter to me I long, long ago figured out where I stand in TNT sports history and I know where I think I belong - who think what is of no consequence to me.  

My point is simply this - the LOGIC being used, is flawed.  Some are continuing to say that "oh, all countries does play football not all does run 100m or 200m".  WRONG!  EVERY damn country sends a 100m person to WORLDS or OLYMPICS.  PERIOD. FACT.  Don't make me show it...

What nonsense - "everybody not training for no Olympics"...really?  That is your educated opinion?  I have spent half a LIFETIME in europe breds...I see sprinters and footballers working long long hours in cold and snow and indoor facilities....more than probably any other sport....try again - Because you don't see them in the 100m finals doesn't mean they didn't show up for the first rounds, so that argument is illogical.  Just like there are national FOOTBALL teams who started at round one of qualifying and didn't make it through to the FINALS of the world cup.  There is no difference.

I can easier respect anyone who says "Look Ato boy we love football or we doh understand track and we ent that into it" - that I can accept, but don't tell me that being ranked 51 or whatever we are, getting 4th in CONCACAF and BARELY qualifying to PLAY in the WORLD CUP is above and beyond anything that any TNT athlete has ever done in this country, athletically.  COME NAH MAN.   Trinity Cross for DWIGHT?  What it is people really drinking.....I commend the man for what he did but as they say in my sport - u ent do nuttin yet!  They handing out history for qualifying?  They handing out world cup qualifying trophies?  And guess what - I am glad you guys bring up '73 and '89 becasue if those 2 teams had qualified the WARRIORS qualifying would probably not even be in the top 10!  THINK ABOUT THAT for a second....say we thrilled to death about this but don't throw everything else out cuz men GLAD...

THE MOST POPULAR VICTORY IN THE COUNTRY'S HISTORY does not mean automatically that sense goes out the window...I will be the first to admit that I think it is a great thing - I have never been happier as a TNT fan - I have a documentary to prove it, as everyone now knows - but Lord, boy can some of you get MORE carried away?  

All yuh HAVE to be smarter than that.....IN fairness to Hasely he only won that race so of course people may not remember him it was 30 years ago.  A great career tends to have a more of a lasting impression...which Hasely wil be first to tell u he did not really have

Leave me or my ranking out of it - I am talking as a sportsman interested in how Trini sports fans think, not as someone who tryin to move up the list.  Don't take the fact that you expect it or we good at it to mean it means less....if Ames won the Masters in 05 or was ranked #1 in the world in golf I don't care how unpopular his SPORT is - HE IS THE BEST ATHLETE of the year and that is that.

To further show the fallacy in your argument you are now saying "oh the winner for the 100m go be from the USA or the Caribbean" - really? - kind of Like Alan Wells was in '80? or Linford Christie in '92? Borzov in '72? The 200m winner in 2000 was from which continent? Yep Europe again...Track is as multi-national a sport as ANY sport INCLUDING FOOTBALL so this whole thing of everyone does football and nobody is trying that hard in track and oh yeah blacks just gifted to run so is not the same is the most nonsense I hear in a long while.  

BORN TO DO IT

Offline FLi !

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2005, 05:29:43 PM »
Track is as multi-national a sport as ANY sport INCLUDING FOOTBALL so this whole thing of everyone does football and nobody is trying that hard in track and oh yeah blacks just gifted to run so is not the same is the most nonsense I hear in a long while. 

morvantman, u getting ato rawted.. :rotfl:....better make a retraction eh, cuz is real faulty logic u using...

and i guess we know what the gov't sees as a greater sporting achievement...both hasely and lara have gotten the trinity cross for achieving feats at the top of their sport....our warriors...nothing of that magnitude yet, because they haven't yet dominated the world in football, far less concacaf, or even the copa caribe...hmmm
« Last Edit: November 29, 2005, 05:31:49 PM by FLi ! »

truetrini

« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2005, 05:30:51 PM »
I have to say that I can understand men saying football is top moment in we sporting history.

But I can rememebr 1976 like it was yesterday when Hasley beat de odds, and pundits to win gold.

Dat still stands out in my memory.

He was and still is one ah my heroes.

Ato was no joke on de track also, but when it is all said and done, i am a sports fan, but ah more rabid about football dan any other sport.

To be uunbiased doh, 100 meters gold is borse accomplishment
as it is to run sub 10 and sub 20 in de same day...I eh even know if anyone odder dan Ato ever do dat...so dat is HUGE in spriniting.
den is Lara..individual records stand higher dan team efforts.

Now if we were to make it out ah de first rounds, and to de quarters even..dat will be massive.

But as I said this is a football forum and to most of us football is top billing
football have to come fourth

Offline ß!aCkÒuT

• Sr. Warrior
  • Time To Play The Game
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2005, 05:33:40 PM »
1...World Cup Quals  T&T vs bahrain(AWAY)

2..."       " "       "     T&T vs mexico(HOME)

3...After Quals welcome back motorcade from d airport

4...T&T vs Guatemala (recent)

5...When Bovell had geh a medal in d olimpics* :rotfl: he make meh proud
If love were a flame, it has ignited my soul...my one spark has created the magnificent fire of true passion

".The Poet."

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2005, 05:34:44 PM »
 :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

trini love football more and yes the crawford gold iz boss but i still saying that playing in the world cup better

Offline FLi !

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2005, 05:36:43 PM »

trini love football more and yes the crawford gold iz boss but i still saying that playing in the world cup better

playing in a world cup, better than winning the highest possible award in arguably one of the hardest sports to win at the olympics, the 100m?

cool, we'll agree to disagree  ;)

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2005, 05:41:00 PM »

playing in a world cup, better than winning the highest possible award in arguably one of the hardest sports to win at the olympics, the 100m?

cool, we'll agree to disagree  ;)

cool with me  :beermug:

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2005, 05:41:18 PM »
Well I is ah football man.....

but winning the GOLD in de 100m at de Olympics (marquee event)

is to ______________ in de World Cup Finals......

Allyuh fill in dat and yuh will have yuh answer

de answer is (Beating Brazil)

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline FLi !

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2005, 05:44:40 PM »
i'm a diehard footballer too as i'm sure many are here, having played at various levels in my life, but i'm a Trinbagonian fuss and foremost, so i'll support to d end any achievement by TnT....daz Y I cyah be biased.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2005, 05:54:51 PM »
First of all, the thread title 5 greatest sporting MOMENTS in T&T.

If people feel is WCQ then that is they perogative and although everybody have a right to dey opinion, dey shouldn't be tellin people dey talkin shit for havin dat opinion.  You cyah legislate or tell nobody how to feel.

Wit respect to the other achievements, perfect example is Olympics.  Crawfie win the 100 in 1976 and nobody could take that away from him.  But it have people who will argue that the Olympic Champion eh necessarily the best in the world.  Jus like it have man who talkin bout we come 4th in CONCACAF etc.  It doh matter, the records show Crawfie win and T&T qualify.

Ask Asafa Powell if he feel Justin Gatlin is de best in de world and see wha he say.

But me eh into de fight down ting bout who achievement greater and who sport better and dem ting so.  As far as I concern, Trinbagonians achieve EXCELLENCE in various disciplines and I ecstatic about that.  Who think which moment or achievement or memory is number one is down to PERSONAL PREFERENCE and THAT should be respected.

As for me...it have nobody or no team that T&T produce that could even aopproach de same area code as Brian Lara.  As far as I concern, Brian Lara right up dey wit Michael Jordan and Muhammed Ali as an incon in SPORT.  Not just his sport, but SPORT in general.  But dat is jes MY OPINION and who disagree wit it...no ting...we go agree to disagree.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2005, 05:58:19 PM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline dills

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: My 5 greatest sporting moments in TNT
« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2005, 06:04:47 PM »

1. Qualifing fuh  de WC
2. Qualifing fuh  de WC
3. Qualifing fuh  de WC
4. Qualifing fuh  de WC
5. Qualifing fuh  de WC
6. Qualifing fuh  de WC

I totally agree. This one is really toooooooooo big. I think the next closest will have to start from #7.... really

for real! nothing can beat this. This is a splendid achievement after so many years especially with our many potholes on the way.. i.e. Road To Germany 74', Road to Italia 90' etc. This is something that has truly affected me, and will always be a source of inspiration. Never give up! Gee dem! and remember ... vibes it up  ;)

Offline dills

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 29, 2005, 06:07:37 PM »
First of all, the thread title 5 greatest sporting MOMENTS in T&T.

If people feel is WCQ then that is they perogative and although everybody have a right to dey opinion, dey shouldn't be tellin people dey talkin shit for havin dat opinion.  You cyah legislate or tell nobody how to feel.

Wit respect to the other achievements, perfect example is Olympics.  Crawfie win the 100 in 1976 and nobody could take that away from him.  But it have people who will argue that the Olympic Champion eh necessarily the best in the world.  Jus like it have man who talkin bout we come 4th in CONCACAF etc.  It doh matter, the records show Crawfie win and T&T qualify.

Ask Asafa Powell if he feel Justin Gatlin is de best in de world and see wha he say.

But me eh into de fight down ting bout who achievement greater and who sport better and dem ting so.  As far as I concern, Trinbagonians achieve EXCELLENCE in various disciplines and I ecstatic about that.  Who think which moment or achievement or memory is number one is down to PERSONAL PREFERENCE and THAT should be respected.

As for me...it have nobody or no team that T&T produce that could even aopproach de same area code as Brian Lara.  As far as I concern, Brian Lara right up dey wit Michael Jordan and Muhammed Ali as an incon in SPORT.  Not just his sport, but SPORT in general.  But dat is jes MY OPINION and who disagree wit it...no ting...we go agree to disagree.

And I agree.. Everyone is entitled to their opinion..  :)

Offline Baygo Boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2005, 07:46:02 PM »
Although, I am a football fan. I have to admit that Crawford's gold is the top - because absolutely no one believed that he had a chance (we supported him all the way), but ever since 73 and 89 many believed that T&T could make a WC. Let's not forget that at the time football was playing 2nd fiddle to cricket, and track and field was like intercol in the 80's - people use to have picnics at track and field events in T&T. Remember when we use to love Roger Gibbons, and Jean Pierre, and 'ballers was considered bad boys - right up dey with panman - that's why ah use to play ball and pan.

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 29, 2005, 07:49:57 PM »
LOL I guess talk done.

Just let me revisit the math so I am crystal clear:

#1 on planet in global event at biggest sporting event in the world/world championship/olympic medal/ANY cricket WR< 1st Qualification for world Cup (via playoff win).

Got it.

Yeah, PUT yourself in a foreigner's shoes, PLEASE! 

"So Mr. Trini, you are saying that you have a multiple WR holder and an Olympic Gold medalist, but that's not your country's greatest sporting moment - barely qualifying for the world cup is?"  You get out much?"  Up the islands, for example, you think Jamaicans rate the Reggae Boyz qualification higher than DON QUARRIE who got silver behind Crawford in '76?   That qualification is not even ahead of Asafa Powell's World Record at 100m, and ASAFA has not won a single medal. NOT ONE!  Why is that you think?  Hmmm....certainly if any people would slight locals based on "it comes easy to us" then it would be Jamaicans!

Yes, please bring up the foreigners!  Oh but then again, JAMAICANS know they have real gifts to run so they SHOULD take their Olympic medals for granted in track and field....once again your thought process leads you downhill to a brick wall.

I goin' back to where people bring actually bring some thought (and not just emotion) to their sports discussions.

P.S. I could have "an opinion" that Patrick Manning is the greatest leader ever in our country's history.  Still don't mean that opinion ent WRONG NO ARSE.  :rotfl:

« Last Edit: November 29, 2005, 07:57:18 PM by atoboldon »
BORN TO DO IT

Offline johnny_ringo

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 29, 2005, 08:02:48 PM »
1 . trini goin to de world cup
2 . BENEDICTS winning the intercol in 1998 in skinners pk
3 . lara's 375
4 . nov 19th 1989 (jus de whole red ting in the stadium was amazing)
5 . BENEDICTS putting bout 7 on pres in union hall....i think was de same year we win intercol

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #78 on: November 29, 2005, 09:45:44 PM »
I don't want to discredit or remove any glory from our superb plethora of sportsmen and women but I  honestly believe that this qualification was the most important achievement in our sporting history. Sorry to say it like this , but produce sprinters like rain throughout the Caribbean. The 1.3 million people of T&T in can at any time assemble a relay team that would beat a Asian or South American combined team. That's not being cocky .The facts show that only a few countries in T & F could really compete when it comes to sprinting, America, The Carribean nations and  probably Britain. I can't remember the competion but I remember watching 3 Americans and 3 Jamaicans  and a Bahamian in womens final. That is quite simply and obscene display of Athletic superiority.

You probably answer me by saying that just a few teams in world can actually try to win the World Cup. This is true  but consider the outright superiorty  of American and Caribbean atheles in sprinting  and compare that to the World Cup. France , Italy, Argentina knocked out first round. The great Holland could not even qaulify last time. England made to look ordinary by a Nigerian team that boasted of perhaps a fraction of the English "quality" The point I am getting at is that the level of competion in football is so much greater any other sport.

I'm trying to offend anybody's sport but rather to highlight the larger fact that we have produced multiple sprinters over the years and some have achieved excellence in their own right. We have produced Bovell and Lara, absolutely brilliant individually. But football is the most popular sport in this country and I should need to point to the attempts in 73 and 89 and the kind of hopes and dreams and a lot of warm and fuzzy stuff involved. We cried for 16 years and finally in 2005 we did it. According to Ruskin Mark the reception and celebration was the biggest for any sporting event in the country's history.  The fact is the people of this country showed that this one was the biggest and us debating it really don't make sense.  Port of Spain was shut down. I heard stories of South People reaching home the next morning, traffic was that bad. People dancing in streets, on the highway on top people cars etc.  The country literally shut down for 2 days.

And please remember what happened for the first leg, 20000 went to POS , 13000 went Skinner park and about 7000 to the Velodrome to get tickets and almost everybody wanted 4. People leave work and school to take the time to get tickets. The demand was probably enough to fill the Nou Camp that Saturday. I paid 300 from a scalper to get in. For the first time I actually hear everybody singing the anthem, it was amazing my pores raised. It sounded just like when England or France played and could not ignore the feeling patriotism. The response alone says how important it was to the people.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 29, 2005, 10:49:15 PM »
thank you jah gol

track and field is nice but not as nice as carlos hitting ah man ah spanner

yes yuh working hard and training hard and thing but if ah man faster than yuh nothing yuh do could change that

but not in football

in football the best teams does lose on any given day and thats what makes it so much sweeter to know colombia not playing and we are

eto would be looking at half slab on he tv next year

Offline ssalazar

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
The 5 greatest sporting moments in T&T part 2
« Reply #80 on: November 30, 2005, 09:26:35 AM »
You can look at those sporting moments in this context:"which sporting moment in TNT had the greatest impact,not only on the public's reaction towards it,but in terms of overcomiing great odds in achieving it."Talk done
« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 09:30:52 AM by ssalazar »

MickeyRat

« Reply #81 on: November 30, 2005, 11:22:35 AM »
1. Manee-Dookie's triumph as Trini's first bare foot runner

2. Granny bussin nuff man ass in marathons

3. Claude Noel useing 'green verbs' on international television.  "It was ah really good fight until ah geh meh lip buss, de man does cuff hard"

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 30, 2005, 11:32:16 AM »
Why must we rank things at all? We should celebrate all our sporting achivements, from Crawford, Ato, Bovell and Lara and everybody else. How about men like Rodney Wilkes, Ian Morris (DIP Ian, DIP!!!), the 4x100 and 4x400 teams...T&T even had a bobsled team in the Winter Olympics and I think they beat the Jamaica "Cool Runnings" team too. Here are some of the achievements that are special to me:

* Windies scoring 418 to win a test match - largest successful run chase in test cricket history
* Ato's commonwealth games victory - "Goodbye Christie, Hello, Ato"
* Darrel Brown Silver at the World's - And Kim Collins won the race..what a day for the Caribbean
* The record breaking 4x400m relay team featuring Wedell Mottley et al - yuh ever hear the commentary for that race? The english man talk on and on about England and barely mention the fact that a) Britain lost the race, and (b) T&T broke the WR
*  Yorke scoring in the League Cup final for Villa v Leeds - ah never see him smile so big

I don't care about whether T&T qualification is better than Hasely's gold medal. I want to see plans for succession and I want to know where the next Tallman, Ato and Hasely are coming from...

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 30, 2005, 11:37:58 AM »
1. Manee-Dookie's triumph as Trini's first bare foot runner

2. Granny bussin nuff man ass in marathons

3. Claude Noel useing 'green verbs' on international television. "It was ah really good fight until ah geh meh lip buss, de man does cuff hard"
Which one was green? :challenge:
Live large and prosper!

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 30, 2005, 12:24:45 PM »
I think the problem with the responses is understanding the question...

The questions asked "greatest sporting moments in T&T"

and NOT

greatest sporting ACHIEVEMENTS in T&T

My understanding of the question is based on the words sporting moments which indicates a moment when TNT i.e trinidad and tobago as a country on a personal level felt elated, overjoyed...

If  sporting ACHIEVEMENTS   was used then I would look at it from a more world ranking point of view..i.e. how would the world rank our sporting achievements in terms of greatness....
Warrior For Life !!

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Re: My 5 greatest sporting moments in TNT
« Reply #85 on: November 30, 2005, 12:32:33 PM »
I have to put what happen on Wednesday at the top.  Trinidad and Tobago qualified for a World Cup brothers!  Crawford, Lara (375 and 400) and Ato are behind in the rear view mirror, but visible. 

We will be among the best in a team sport!!  All the others are indiviual achievements, Lara was actually representing the West Indies (and Trini by extension). 

In regards to TEAM sports achievements as opposed to individual sports achievements we have to put out Jean Pierre led Netball team up there who were joint world champs with Australia back in, was it 1980?
Anyway they have to be up there!
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline skins

• Barca4ever
  • Hero Warrior
  • orginally from san do
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 30, 2005, 12:36:37 PM »
I may be wrong and i ain't know where i  get this thought from. Have Jean Pierre ever been involve in politics with PNM ?????????

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 30, 2005, 01:33:51 PM »
I may be wrong and i ain't know where i  get this thought from. Have Jean Pierre ever been involve in politics with PNM ?????????

Yeah.  Jean Pierre was Minister of Sport and Youth in Manning's first administration.  Sadly, she passed away after a bout with cancer in December 2002.

1]; } ?>