April 29, 2024, 05:46:12 AM

Poll

Do you think that there was money involved in the Nov 19th 1989 game?

Yes
7 (16.3%)
No
26 (60.5%)
Maybe
6 (14%)
Not sure
4 (9.3%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Voting closed: December 02, 2005, 08:55:41 PM

Author Topic: Was the Strike Squad a sell out???  (Read 6513 times)

Offline Socaman

• Live Yuh Life Like Yuh Playin Mas!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Was the Strike Squad a sell out???
« on: November 30, 2005, 08:55:41 PM »
Just curious because i was havin ah debate earlier on with some fellas who believe that the game was a sell out. And i strongly disagree!!! What you people think?

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Was the Strike Squad a sell out???
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 09:01:06 PM »
I know ppl think money pass but not to the players.  Some ppl higher up it look like.

Offline cm103

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 09:01:47 PM »
De way dem men cry on dat field and run d risk of d country killing dem if it leak dat money pass...i ent think so

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 09:03:56 PM »
well i was ah yute when de game play but older heads told me after the game that it was ah sellout and them had good reasoning too.

i will find out and tell allyuh the story them tell meh
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 09:07:05 PM »
people say money pass..but i cant see that it was passed to the players...them men worked hard to get to that position to qualify and i doubt they were ready to throw it away for money
Back in Trini...

Offline skins

• Barca4ever
  • Hero Warrior
  • orginally from san do
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 09:39:29 PM »
I was only 4 years when they played that game against the USA but i doubted the players themselves will sell out a match. I would never question the effort of the players during that game. They tried there best and they just came up short. Jack Warner would have not sell that match because he love trinidad  football with all his heart. This is a stupid speculation and trinis could old talk how much. I refuse to believe this dotish thing.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 09:42:02 PM »
I was wondering how many posts would go by before Mr. Warner name call in this.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline rastafari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 09:56:46 PM »
Well to me we get rob of a blatant penalty when philbert jones get push down by john doyle in de penalty box.
So to me if anything i find de refereeing  was dodgy.

JAH BLESS RASTAFARI

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2005, 10:06:42 PM »
After 16 years allyuh go look to hit meh with this ?
I really hope money didn't pass, no lie i go cry again
plus ah still remember tanty in she all red sitting down after dey game bawling, like if somebod kill she chile in dey staduim. Cummings cry like ah baby and ah sure he didn't go strolling players.
Tanty pray before dey match during dey match and after dey match between crying...that, ah could never forget.

now ah feel to hit something hard :challenge:

truetrini

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2005, 11:33:16 PM »
is it true dat there were grounds to disqualify us if we won, because we oversold tickets to teh national stadium.

Dat rumour has be knocked around.

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2005, 01:04:25 AM »
I was working in the Min oF Sport at the time.
We had packed 40k people in ah 25k stadium, all kinda bacchanal wid tickets, free passes, sponsors having they own way of getting people in etc. (there was a commission of inquiry after)
I personally was able to buy two tickets for the game in the ministry an den on de day before de game get 2 free tickets from baldy hernandez (RIP)
De talk about forfieting the game anyhow was a redherring dat Jack an dem pull so that man wouldna look at de real issues of why we lose.
De only way FIFA woulda get involved after the game if we won because of overcrowding , would have been if something had happened (like a stand collapsing and people getting injured or hurt).
After the game we employed some structural engineers to do a structural survey of the stadium an Jean pierre complex and we found that there was no structural fatigue and only normal wear and tear, lots of corrosion because of the proximity to the sea and many other operational faults . Like for instance, the stadium is not supposed to use potable water for maintenance purposes, there is a grey water system whereby ,storm water (rain water) is collected  filtered and stored and then this water is used for watering the grounds, firewater, general washing activities etc.
Sorry for rambling on about this, but I am just trying to show how well bulit the stadium is and the fact that whilst we may have been overcrowded seat wise by design, it was still a structurally safe facility
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2005, 01:27:49 AM »
I was ah youth back den, ah went tuh de game with meh dad, an after de game, he an all de older folks said it was ah sell out.
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2005, 02:21:49 AM »
It was a damn sell out. We could have beatten the US silly. I watched the game people missing the goal with no goalie from right infront it. I mean it was to obvious. This was the US's greatest opportunity to get to the WC and they did all that was nessary to get there. I was ashamed of the squad. to know that they took whatever was offered over our countries honor. If any of you guys have access to vedio of the game you would see exactly what I am talking about. I am not an emotional person but that is the most sore topic to me about T&T football. I reather we be cheated than we forfiet. Those DAMN PUNKS.
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2005, 02:41:58 AM »
: Themanfriday 
It was a damn sell out. We could have beatten the US silly. I watched the game people missing the goal with no goalie from right infront it. I mean it was to obvious. This was the US's greatest opportunity to get to the WC and they did all that was nessary to get there. I was ashamed of the squad. to know that they took whatever was offered over our countries honor. If any of you guys have access to vedio of the game you would see exactly what I am talking about. I am not an emotional person but that is the most sore topic 

Doh agree about de players selling out.Ah know some of dem personally an in trinidad, talk woulda come out.
Something was wrong doh, it seemed as if everything was ideal for USA to win de game.
Brow get beat with ah lob from jus after de half line (Sunday morning savanahh goal) , he say de sun was in he eye.

It couldda be somebody say " Ah cyar fix de players or de caoch, but ah could fix everything else".

Offline Themanfriday

• Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2005, 02:51:53 AM »
I was in trini then How can you miss a wide open goal from right infront of it? We looked like shit in that game. My school team Marabella SC could have done better.
Born in SanDo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2005, 02:52:39 AM »
Just see a goal in the Euro Champs last night..worst than the Brow goal.

Keeper get the ball in both hands and watch it bounce out and go behind him into the goal.

He had he hands positioned like how u would catch a cricket ball about waist high.

Fishs thanks for that info.

Ppl forget Warner wanted the team in POS..but Gally and the team say no.

Peace,
VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2005, 03:31:13 AM »
Of course the team played shyte, I am not disputing that, what I am disputing is whether they sold out or not. I honestly do not believe they did.

Offline Themanfriday

• Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2005, 03:36:46 AM »
Apparently you did not see that Game. Sorry that really pisses me off.
Born in SanDo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2005, 03:39:07 AM »
Allright breds.

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2005, 06:11:02 AM »
It was no sell out, the Americans scored a lucky goal, we didn't play to our best, we weren't focussed and the better mentally prepared team on the day won.

People say it was a sell out because we Trinis love conspiracy theories and we needed something to appease our minds by convincing ourselves that it wasn't in our hands when it really was.

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2005, 06:28:07 AM »
It was a damn sell out. We could have beatten the US silly. I watched the game people missing the goal with no goalie from right infront it. I mean it was to obvious.

You talking rubbish .  We didn't miss any open goals in that match.  As far as I remember, besides the Jones chance for a penalty, we created VERY few scoring chances in that game and it was the most frustrating match to watch.

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2005, 06:28:44 AM »
I have a question for all you forumites,here it is if you or your team coaches or managers were approached by a u.s. delegation assuring each player a large purse and citizenship would you take it,after all it's supposedly the greatest and wealthiest country in the world.now do think that's a good enough reason.  

Offline Girl Warrior

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2005, 06:45:59 AM »
To most, when you look at the facts involved your initial thought may be that it was a sell out. The general performance of the players, Brow's sun in the eye excuse, the overcrowding, the commission of enquiry never being completed etc. However the emotions of Cummings and the players looked very real and that convinced me that it wasn't.
Saga, if they had gotten big money from that match, all of them would have been a lot better off than they are right now I'm sure, and you know what, I would never sell out my country especially with how things were sweet at that time..

The revolution is not an apple that falls when it is ripe. You have to make it fall... Che Guevara

Offline Cowen

• Hero Warrior
  • Conquer without risk is to triumph without Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2005, 06:53:35 AM »
This topic doesn't make sense. Sold out or not we'll never know ... and everyone here just guessing...... besids this topic has been discussed before.

Gehen Kreiger Gehen

Check de danger  :beermug:
Attended Mad Mad University
Studied Madology
Obtained a Mad Mad Degree

Offline christiano

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2005, 07:02:05 AM »
Just curious because i was havin ah debate earlier on with some fellas who believe that the game was a sell out. And i strongly disagree!!! What you people think?

Do u guys think that the Bahrain people are asking this same questions ?

Football is a game , a sport , from what i saw of the team and heard men like Clayton Morris saying , i dont think that it was a sell out !

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2005, 07:08:05 AM »
To most, when you look at the facts involved your initial thought may be that it was a sell out. The general performance of the players, Brow's sun in the eye excuse, the overcrowding, the commission of enquiry never being completed etc. However the emotions of Cummings and the players looked very real and that convinced me that it wasn't.
Saga, if they had gotten big money from that match, all of them would have been a lot better off than they are right now I'm sure, and you know what, I would never sell out my country especially with how things were sweet at that time..

And yuh no what I agree with yuh on that meh brother I was living in T&Tduring those times,and fell sick.  between the hospital and home suffering with serious yellow fever I was able to look at the match on tv that's how patriotic I'm,but as you know what I'm simply saying is never rule out the impossible,and as far as them being better off today it's been 16yrs to date I don't know if ah want to go down dah road.just to leave yuh with this doh I believe whether in good times or bad times one should never sell out there country.  

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2005, 07:09:08 AM »
I personally was able to buy two tickets for the game in the ministry an den on de day before de game get 2 free tickets from baldy hernandez (RIP)

Fishs what you saying boy?

Baldy is alive and well.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Themanfriday

• Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2005, 07:28:34 AM »
It was a damn sell out. We could have beatten the US silly. I watched the game people missing the goal with no goalie from right infront it. I mean it was to obvious.

You talking rubbish .  We didn't miss any open goals in that match.  As far as I remember, besides the Jones chance for a penalty, we created VERY few scoring chances in that game and it was the most frustrating match to watch.

Oh yeah what about the ball that went over the upright. That is stuck in my mind. Pure clean chance.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 07:32:30 AM by Themanfriday »
Born in SanDo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline skins

• Barca4ever
  • Hero Warrior
  • orginally from san do
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2005, 07:29:15 AM »
It have 18 players on a team plus the coach and  techinical staff. People actually think all of them would sell out and not one of them spoke up to now. Never would and Never will happen. Latapy never would have did that. Just by his character i know he wouldn't have took money.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2005, 07:33:26 AM »
No it was not a sell out..........We just lost.......get over it.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

1]; } ?>