April 27, 2024, 02:57:17 AM

Author Topic: Leslie Fitzpatrick to join Marlon Rojas at RSL.  (Read 3746 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Leslie Fitzpatrick to join Marlon Rojas at RSL.
« on: April 14, 2005, 04:50:19 AM »
Leslie Fitzpatrick could be in RSL uniform Saturday.
By: Michael C. Lewis - The Salt Lake Tribune.

Real Salt Lake has had its eyes on dreadlocked midfielder Leslie "Tiger" Fitzpatrick for months. Now, it has its hands on him, too. The Major League Soccer expansion team has signed Fitzpatrick to a contract, and the promising member of the Trinidad & Tobago national team will join his new teammates in training today and could play in RSL's inaugural home game against Colorado at Rice-Eccles Stadium on Saturday.
"I love the opportunity that Real Salt Lake has given me," he said, "and I know this will lead to a great relationship. I hope I can contribute, making RSL the best team in Major League Soccer."  Though coach John Ellinger and his staff have been scouting the fleet Fitzpatrick since before he began to attract interest from other MLS clubs by performing well against the U.S. national team in a World Cup qualifying match two months ago, the signing comes at a fortuitous time.
Starting midfielder Andy Williams is out for four weeks with a groin injury, and replacement Clint Mathis has not practiced much this week because of swelling in his knee.
Mathis still is expected to start against the Rapids, but his tender condition leaves the midfield on seemingly shaky ground at a time when Ellinger wants to see it play more balls wide in order to get better crosses into the box against Colorado's Joe Cannon - the MLS goalkeeper of the year last season.
"We have the label of 'expansion team,' " Ellinger said, "and there's no question that at times . . we looked like an expansion team" during a loss at the Los Angeles Galaxy last weekend. "And we were acting like an expansion team. . . . I think we're too good for that."
RSL and the Rapids still are in search of their first victories. The teams are tied with expansion club Chivas USA at the bottom of the MLS Western Conference, with one point apiece. The 26-year-old Fitzpatrick was an All-American at Columbia University, before playing in the A League and on the Columbus Crew's developmental squad the past few years. He scored two goals in 28 games for the Atlanta Silverbacks of the A League last season, and fills one of the two roster spots RSL had open, following the release earlier this month of Bosnian defender Senad Halilovic. Utah will have a familiar look to him, too.
RSL's Marlon Rojas is a fellow member of the Trinidad & Tobago national team who has played alongside Fitzpatrick in many international games - including the 2-1 loss to the U.S. (and current RSL defender Eddie Pope) in which Fitzpatrick nearly scored on a breakaway that would have given his team the lead.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 04:56:50 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Leslie Fitzpatrick to join Marlon Rojas at RSL.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005, 05:55:55 AM »
All the best to Leslie.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 06:45:30 AM »
Good news.... lets see what will happen now...

Rojas might drop to de left back pos and Fitzpatrick might go left wing ? de MLS will surely develop these 2 players offensive weakness. (crossing, passing, overlapping and shooting).
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2005, 07:05:28 AM »
Yes Sam and playing alongside each oter daily could also improve their communication and gelling. Kinda like how Latas always knew where Yorke was without even looking,( ;Dnot refering to parties) knew exactly where and when to give him the ball..

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2005, 07:20:20 AM »
Rojas might drop to de left back pos and Fitzpatrick might go left wing ?

Sam, like yuh is ah seer man. In ah recent article, dey say dat dey would shuffle de lineup due tuh some injuries.

"Veteran Chris Brown probably will enter the lineup in the right midfield spot that Selolwane has occupied, while rookie Luke Kreamalmeyer is expected to start on the left side, with Marlon Rojas moving from there to the back line to replace Matt Behnke.

Behnke was benched after the Galaxy's Landon Donovan sneaked past him to head in a decisive goal just before halftime."
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline KND

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2005, 07:25:02 AM »
GOod News for Tiger

The MLS training level will imporve his fitness which will help TnT

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2005, 07:28:20 AM »
Tallman, maybe they was refering to that before Fitzpatrick was signed ? Leslie could play as a defensive midfielder and also left wing, he strong and dont give up, but he have to work on his crossing.

What is a seer man ?

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2005, 07:30:52 AM »
congrats and best wishes hope this really helps honestly i used to be a fan of this guy as a younger player but recently in this campaign not really impressive just barely decent.  but appears to have a bright future loads of potential. excellent move though.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2005, 07:36:44 AM »
What is a seer man ?

See-ah man. Is like ah prophet, could see de future (like Miss Cleo  ;D) etc.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2005, 07:43:46 AM »
Well boy,,,,, ah feel good they..

:D

Forget de miss Cleo thing though,,,,, RF more like she...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 07:46:56 AM by Sam »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Fitzpatrick expected to play left midfield for Real
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2005, 10:46:51 AM »
RSL to add Trinidad international

By David Hale / MLSnet.com Staff

The work in progress that is Real Salt Lake will see another piece added to the puzzle, as Trinidad & Tobago international Leslie Fitzpatrick should be available for the club in their home opener this Saturday at Rice-Eccles Stadium against the Colorado Rapids.

Fitzpatrick comes to Real from the Atlanta Silverbacks of the USL First Division (second tier) and is expected to join up with the team before this weekend.

The speedy left footer known as "Tiger" seems to have come on board at the right time as fellow T&T international Marlon Rojas is expected to drop back to the left back position, leaving an open spot in the starting lineup on the left of midfield, Fitzpatrick's preferred position.

Fitzpatrick was a regular at forward while playing at Columbia University. After his time at Columbia he spent a year with the now defunct Cincinnati Riverhawks and the Columbus Crew reserves before joining the Silverbacks.

When he joined the Silverbacks just over a year ago, Fitzpatrick was converted from forward to the midfield. But he has been effective playing in the midfield, earning his first cap this past November. That success with the Trinidad and Tobago national team helped him catch the eye of MLS coaches. He really caught the attention of MLS teams with his stellar play in the World Cup qualifier against the USA in February.

The addition of Fitzpatrick, who also spent time training with the MetroStars during their preseason tour of Trinidad and Tobago, will bring Real's roster to 27, leaving room for one more signing.

In other news Clint Mathis has been seeing light duty in practice this week due to swelling in his knee.

"The swelling isn't in the joint and we expect Clint to be 100 percent in time for Saturday's game," coach John Ellinger said. "We expect Clint to start for the home opener."

Also expected to be in the starting lineup Saturday is defender Brian Dunseth, who is full strength after a knee injury of his own. Ellinger said that Dunseth held up well in last week's reserve game and will make an appearance in central defense after being given a clean bill of health.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Leslie Fitzpatrick heads to Real Salt Lake
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2005, 04:34:02 PM »
Atlanta Silverbacks

The Atlanta Silverbacks announced today the transfer of midfielder Leslie "Tiger" Fitzpatrick to Real Salt Lake of Major League Soccer.

Fitzpatrick a major  contributor to the Silverbacks success in 2004 drew the interest of a several teams for his play last season, and more recently as a member of the Trinidad and Tobago National team squad.

Despite having played only one season in Atlanta, Fitzpatrick quickly forged a strong relationship with the organization, his teammates and the Atlanta Silverback fans.

Fitzpatrick commented on his departure, "This is an opportunity that I had to take advantage of at this stage in my career.  I'm excited about moving to the MLS but I leave with a heavy heart as I developed a great bond with the fans and my teammates. I think the organization was fantastic to my wife and I want to thank Coach Vaudreuil for his support. I am excited about the future for the Club here in Atlanta and who knows maybe some day I'll be back."

Stilian Shishkov, Executive Director of the Atlanta Silverbacks, pointed out that while it was a difficult decision to lose such an impact player, the deal was viewed as a good decision by all parties. "Real Salt Lake approached us about Leslie, we had no intentions of moving him, but we reached an agreement that I believe was in the best interest of everyone concerned. He was an important part of our organization, we appreciate his contributions to the Club and we wish him every success both in the MLS and on the international stage."

Fitzpatrick is scheduled to report immediately to Salt Lake and could see action in Real Salt Lakes nationally televised game against the Colorado Rapids this Saturday at 3:00 pm. Terms of the deal were undisclosed.

Offline Brej

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2005, 11:16:27 AM »
will either of them start

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2005, 11:34:44 AM »
will either of them start

Rojas is on de starting 11.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2005, 02:24:00 PM »

Marlon start.
The second half now start and it showing on ESPN 2.

Tiger on the bench so far.

Match Tracker

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2005, 02:58:28 PM »
Real Salt Lake have 25,000 fans at the game !!!!   :o

Tiger come on in the 76th

RSL score in the 81st

25,000 people at a game  !!!!
  Maybe I hear wrong but the crowd was sounding loud.
Wheyy

1]; } ?>