April 28, 2024, 04:42:39 PM

Author Topic: Who you think will be sportsman of the year 2005?  (Read 3540 times)

Offline ssalazar

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
Who you think will be sportsman of the year 2005?
« on: December 02, 2005, 05:43:57 AM »
Hello folks;
I will make this short and sweet since i have a class to attend to.Here are my top 5 picks for Sportsman of the year,2005
Brian Lara,Stern John,Dwayne Bravo,Denis Lawrance and George Bowell 111.
To be honest,a couple that I included in the top 5 don't deserve to be there,but I just want to make it a "little interesting"Let me hear your choice for sportsman of the year.

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
Re: Who you think will be sportsman of the year 2005?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 06:35:00 AM »
Brian or Bowell
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005, 07:05:17 AM »

Brian : Cricket, break world record this year.

Stern : Football, score most goals ever in WC qualifying and help TT make WC   this year.

Bovell 111  : Swimming : Last year was olympics. no chance.

Wha other sports play dis year ?

My pick ...................... Brian.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 07:07:38 AM »
Can't stop Lara again.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 07:57:50 AM »
ato boldon ;D
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2005, 08:12:54 AM »
Cricketer and Sportsman of the year- Brian Lara.....

footballer of the year..........Dwight Yorke or  Stern John.....(Stern's poor attitude might work against him)
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Hyperhot J

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2005, 08:17:15 AM »
 Â  Dwight Yorke is who I hope gets nominated from the TTFF. I really want Dwight to win the Sportsman of the year 2005 award, I am a bit surprised that no one mentioned him, quite myopic people we are indeed. His dedication this year with out football team not to mention his intervention in getting Latapy to play for us when we were all but lost and his ADMIRABLE and ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL LEADERSHIP saw him sacrificing for OUR Beloved Team and playing sometimes even last stopper and defensive midfield for T&T just to stay in control of our team. Dwight knew that he would not have as much of an influence as a striker and switched roles to always stay in control.

Against Bahrain he showed a maturity when he kept the ball and fought for everything, Yes Birchall's goal was the greatest in the Stadium in 15 years and yes it was Lawrence's header that put us through as well as his wonderful finish against Panama in our 2-0 home win.

However it was the Captain of our Wonderful Soca Warriors who I would give the award for showing a sense of pride, intelligence and dedication in a T&T shirt that I have never seen from him and any recent captain. Despite his challenges and (ex) play boy lifestyle, his blind son, and moves to Sydney and 20 hour plane trips and going and giving his ALL for OUR country something that NO ONE would ever expect from the Dwight Yorke or Man. Utd. this my friends proves what a revelation has occured in his life and WE as a country have ALL benefitted.

It is with the GREATEST HONOUR and Glory that I wish to beg all involved to nominate and have Dwight Yorke be T&T's Sportsman for 2005!!!

I salute you Yorke from where you have been and what you have made yourself into. You have blossomed for T&T in the right time, may God bless you and keep you always well and smiling.

DWIGHT YORKE has my UNCONDITIONAL VOTE.

Lemme hear what the other forumites think.

Thanks Dwight we love you!  :angel:

Jason.  ;D
"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power." 

Cassius told Brutus in Julius Caesar by Shakespeare

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2005, 08:17:53 AM »
hyper i dey with yuh horse :beermug:
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2005, 08:33:16 AM »
  Dwight Yorke is who I hope gets nominated from the TTFF. I really want Dwight to win the Sportsman of the year 2005 award, I am a bit surprised that no one mentioned him, quite myopic people we are indeed. His dedication this year with out football team not to mention his intervention in getting Latapy to play for us when we were all but lost and his ADMIRABLE and ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL LEADERSHIP saw him sacrificing for OUR Beloved Team and playing sometimes even last stopper and defensive midfield for T&T just to stay in control of our team. Dwight knew that he would not have as much of an influence as a striker and switched roles to always stay in control.

Against Bahrain he showed a maturity when he kept the ball and fought for everything, Yes Birchall's goal was the greatest in the Stadium in 15 years and yes it was Lawrence's header that put us through as well as his wonderful finish against Panama in our 2-0 home win.

However it was the Captain of our Wonderful Soca Warriors who I would give the award for showing a sense of pride, intelligence and dedication in a T&T shirt that I have never seen from him and any recent captain. Despite his challenges and (ex) play boy lifestyle, his blind son, and moves to Sydney and 20 hour plane trips and going and giving his ALL for OUR country something that NO ONE would ever expect from the Dwight Yorke or Man. Utd. this my friends proves what a revelation has occured in his life and WE as a country have ALL benefitted.

It is with the GREATEST HONOUR and Glory that I wish to beg all involved to nominate and have Dwight Yorke be T&T's Sportsman for 2005!!!

I salute you Yorke from where you have been and what you have made yourself into. You have blossomed for T&T in the right time, may God bless you and keep you always well and smiling.

DWIGHT YORKE has my UNCONDITIONAL VOTE.

Lemme hear what the other forumites think.

Thanks Dwight we love you!  :angel:

Jason.  ;D

footballer of the year- sure....don't know if he'll beat Lara or even Bovell for Sportsman of the year.......but who knows..
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2005, 09:10:01 AM »
I go for Dwight also....Bovell and Lara's major achievements came in 2004, and although Lara broke Border's record this year, that was really a long-term career achievement as opposed to a single triumph. Actually, can this award be given to a team? I hate to single out a single Soca Warrior...they really did it as a unit...even if it has never been done before, this would be a good time to start a new precedent...

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2005, 09:50:09 AM »
good question yes

yorke or lara, yorke or lara hmmmm
ya know what give it to morvantman...dey man created history yestersday by putting dey whole ah PSA (Professional Secretaries Association) to shame with his speed of typing. Dey didn't know man could type so much words in so little time.

GIVE IT TO MORVANTMAN  :beermug:

Offline Hyperhot J

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2005, 09:54:22 AM »
      Morvant man winning the Professional Secretaries Association typer of the year 2005 award!! I could definitely see that happening!  ;D   :rotfl:  :rotfl:   :rotfl:  :rotfl: :rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl:

I love this board yes.  :D

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2005, 10:55:12 AM »
Dwight....hope he will be there to receive it because I am the host next year....Lara had a so-so season despite the career achievement, not to mention the DIGICEL drama that kept him out for a long time....I been wondering about this one myself for a couple months.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2005, 11:08:45 AM »
Ato, is there a young person's achievement award or something? Something that maybe Dwayne Bravo or Dinesh Ramdin would be eligible for?

Offline Hyperhot J

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2005, 11:13:24 AM »
    Good to see you again Ato, yes let's hope that Dwight does in fact receive it. I really think that he deserves it.

Ato check your message on this forum and links meh back nah boy,

Jason.  ;D

Offline RasIred

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2005, 11:26:19 AM »
This one should be a two horse race with :

Brian Lara and Dwight Yorke

Lara : Now has three of the top batting records in the world. He achieved his 11,000 in less mtaches and innings....Thats tremendous. He also scores most of the runs for West Indies

Yorke: Has matured and has captained his country to it`s first World Cup. He has shown his maturity and his shown his dedication to the cause.

I like both of them , but I think LARA should get it..........He is for me the second best batsmen next to Don Bradman....This is just like the Pele/ Maradona debate.

Once we beat up some teams in GERMANY 2006.....that year go be YORKIE own

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2005, 11:36:14 AM »
Is not like we really start to prepare for the awards yet but I don't know of any young person's award, although people been saying that since 1992 that they should have a special young person's award.  I am biased towards the youth, so of course I agree.

Dwight should be the SPOTY if only because it shows people who look up to him that you can always mend fences, redeem for past transgressions and be rewarded.  Sorry Brian.  Plus Brian has 4 already.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Rotato Poti

• Hero Warrior
  • VIBES IT UP!!!
    • View Profile
    • ACB reloaded
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2005, 11:45:56 AM »
I'm sure that the best friends will share it between them ... once they make it to 'Nuts in time for the usual UWI lime on a Sunday nite.

BTW .. do they still have Reggae Sundays "up in the hills" ???

Offline Hyperhot J

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2005, 12:18:37 PM »
    Yes for sure I think Dwight should get it ahead of Lara, he has come a longer way faced with more adversity in terms of his character, the T&T public and sacrifice this year. Remember this is for 2005 and in 2005 I think Dwight had it a lot tougher than Lara.

Go Dwight go!  ;D Yes Ato is Dwight for true.

As for the Nuts question, YES they still have Reggae Sunday every Sunday still at the Nuts. Wham Potato like yuh lapsin on the limes, or yuh girl have you shack up bad.  :-[

J.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2005, 12:22:15 PM »
Ah man become the highest scorer in test cricket history, and overcame some dubious umpiring decisions to score his eighth double century.  Ah know it's based on a single game, but the man is my choice for Sportsman of the Year.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2005, 02:17:54 PM »
Brian or maaaaybe Dwight...even doh I's nah ah cricket man, Brain's achievement is monumental. Imagine when de man retire what his runs tally would be.
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2005, 02:29:17 PM »
Let Yorke & Lara share the Award this year! They are buddies anyway and already accustomed to sharing ting!  ;)  ;D
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline skins

• Barca4ever
  • Hero Warrior
  • orginally from san do
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2005, 02:32:52 PM »
Let Yorke & Lara share the Award this year! They are buddies anyway and already accustomed to sharing ting! ;) ;D

I agree, but have it ever happen before in the past.

Offline monty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2005, 02:40:44 PM »
This is a great question. And it is even better we faced with such a dilemma!

But I have to give it to Lara, hands down.
For those who said he had a so-so year.... please check some stats here:

196   2nd Test  v SA  in WI  at Port of Spain [ April 2005 ]
176   3rd Test  v SA  in WI  at Bridgetown [ April 2005 ]

130   1st Test  v Pak in WI   at Bridgetown [ May 2005 ]
153 2nd Test  v Pak in WI  at Kingston [June 2005]

226   3rd Test  v Aus in Aus at Adelaide [ November 2005  ]

He got thief out quite a number of times... and he did not rant and rave, but behaved like a true gentleman when he was unfairly given out. That is class in itself because cricket these days full of cheats, hypocrites and sycophants. He make 1000 runs in this calendar year, something he has done every year for the last 5 years if my memory serves me right. Break Border record ...

Yes, the socawarriors accomplished what will probably be one of our biggest sporting legacies. Give them a Chaconia to show our appreciation. They still have next year to build on this achievement on the world stage but they have not come close to what Lara accomplishd in the truest sense of the award.

Once again: the Sportsman of the year has to be lara.. hands down!

« Last Edit: December 02, 2005, 02:43:39 PM by monty »

MickeyRat

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2005, 02:44:11 PM »
I think Dwight deserve the award this year.

Offline Aymir

• JABLOTEH FOREVER
  • Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Jabloteh
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2005, 02:52:56 PM »
two words - dwight yorke

Offline monty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2005, 02:56:59 PM »
Is not like we really start to prepare for the awards yet but I don't know of any young person's award, although people been saying that since 1992 that they should have a special young person's award.  I am biased towards the youth, so of course I agree.

Dwight should be the SPOTY if only because it shows people who look up to him that you can always mend fences, redeem for past transgressions and be rewarded.  Sorry Brian.  Plus Brian has 4 already.

So what exactly is the criteria for sportsman of the year? Yorkie overcome plenty hurdles on and off the field, he come home and renew our love for him. But should we factor in transgressions/fences when determining the 2005 sportsman? I hope not.. this is not fairy tale business.

If Lara has 4 awards already, then that should be more motivation for people to work harder and set goals for themselves. The man not greedy, the rest of us just lazy or not living up to our potential.

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2005, 03:26:04 PM »
questions:

What happens with 2006's awards....?

when we play in the WC and we have some outstanding performances by certain players..possibly Yorkie again or Stern.

Suppose we win 1 match and tie another....it is possible.....and we go through to the 2nd round.....what do we do then.....

The fact is we are going to the WC next year and that will factor in a lot into next years award....do we give Yorkie the sportsman of the year award again.....

There arent that many more records left for Lara to break except his own !

just something to think about....

Ps: keep in mind my vote is for yorkie
Warrior For Life !!

1]; } ?>