April 29, 2024, 09:20:52 AM

Author Topic: Gillingham looks at Cyd Gray.  (Read 4719 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Gillingham looks at Cyd Gray.
« on: December 01, 2005, 07:56:02 AM »
By: Shaun Fuentes.
[/size]

Tobago-born defender Cyd Gray has made a name for himself in recent times with some polished performances against Mexico and Bahrain. And now the former Joe Public and current CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh man has attracted the interest of English League One side Gillingham FC among other overseas clubs.
Gray is being honoured by the Tobago House of Assembly this week for his exploits with the “Soca Warriors” and has come in form high praise from former England international Terry Fenwick who signed him from Joe Pubic.
“This guy has been excellent especially when you look back at the story leading up to his last couple performances,” Fenwick said.
“I took him from Joe Public just after the game which T&T lost to Costa Rica 3-0 in 2001 when two of the goals came from his side and he came in for harsh criticism. Everyone was giving him the stick at that time. But I saw other things and we realised he was a solid defender and competitor.
His distribution wasn’t good and even though he had great pace, he could end up hot headed at times. We put one or two things into his game and we worked on it and this has been the rewards. He’s wants to win things every time he steps on the field. He’s not just done good things for Jabloteh or for the country but he’s done good for Cyd Gray.
He’s now in a position to move on to better things with the country getting massive exposure world-wide in the six months leading up to the World Cup.”
Gray couldn’t have felt better. “Right now it’s just an unbelievable feeling. Coming from Tobago and seeing what Dwight has been able to achieve, as a player you always try to imagine and dream about certain things.
Here it is I have just played for a team that has made it to the World Cup and there is nothing that can make you feel better,” Gray added following the 1-0 win over Bahrain.
West Brom eyes Carlos Edwards.
[/size]

Midfielder Carlos Edwards, still new into his contract with English Championship club Luton Town, is being eyed for a new switch to Premiership side West Bromwich Albion.
Word on the weekend was that former England international Bryan Robson, now in charge at West Brom was keen on Edwards having seen him in action for Luton and after signing Edwards’ team-mate Curtis Davies during the last transfer window, Robson could now try to get Edwards by January. It is rumoured that Edwards could cost around TT$7.5 million.
The former Wrexham star was involved for 90 minutes as Luton stopped Crystal Palace 2-0 on the weekend to take a 5th place stance on the latest League standings.
Edwards is still smiling over T&T’s World Cup qualification.
“It’s a real dream come true. Who would have expected this? And if you look back at me suffering that injury against Dominican Republic in the first game last year and then we had a difficult period especially up to the 5-1 loss to Guatemala. You think now that this really is like a dream,” an elated Edwards said on the flight back from Bahrain. “I think there are so many people who need to be commended for this and it starts from the bosses at the top like Jack Warner and coach Leo Beenhakker and then men around the team and most important the players and God. We have everything to look forward to now.”
Dwight thinks of Germany’s WC day & night.

T&T’s skipper Dwight Yorke last week admitted that he never in a million years thought he would grace the World Cup playing fields for his country.
Yorke, captain of Sydney FC, said he has found it hard to focus on anything else other than T&T’s historic qualification success after a 1-0 win over Bahrain on November 16.
Yorke said he remains committed to his Australian club, but the thoughts of going to Germany with the “Soca Warriors” has been on his mind day and night.
He added that, he’s had a big week of celebrations with close friend Brian Lara as the both toasted to the latter’s World Test record and T&T’s booking for Germany.
“Never in a million years would I have expected everything that has happened. When I left the Premiership I had no idea what would happen, but the last five months have been unbelievable,” Yorke said.
He’s attracted much fanfare at Sydney and now he has won new supporters who will be there to see both Australia and T&T at next year’s Finals.
“It has been a massive thing for our country to make the World Cup, as we are only a tiny country and it is the first time we have done it,” he said. “It has been hard to think about anything else. Obviously something like that can be a distraction and I have been caught up a bit in the celebration.”
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 07:59:53 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
Re: Gillingham looks at Gray.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 07:59:05 AM »
ah waiting on news concerning mister whitley!!

ah waiting patiently!!

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
Re: Gillingham looks at Gray.
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 07:59:53 AM »
 And yet another  positive spin offs  being exerienced by  another individual team member. More great news for our fotballers, our hopes, for the youths and for our country. All the best Gray.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 08:17:58 AM by AlbertaTrini »

Offline Cowen

• Hero Warrior
  • Conquer without risk is to triumph without Glory
    • View Profile
Re: Gillingham looks at Cyd Gray.
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 08:10:26 AM »
I like how all the potentials for the national team getting promotion to big teams.

One note though ..... why is it everytime someone from Tobago get s and opportunity they make it sound like it could never happen.

Coming from Tobago and seeing what Dwight has been able to achieve, as a player you always try to imagine and dream about certain things.

It have nothing to do with where u come from ...but what you in general ...... time to come out of the small island mentality.
Attended Mad Mad University
Studied Madology
Obtained a Mad Mad Degree

Offline skins

• Barca4ever
  • Hero Warrior
  • orginally from san do
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2005, 08:12:51 AM »
Good news for Cyd but i thinking as since Gillingham looking to get new ownership if that a smart move. On the other hand i happy for Cyd and for Carlos. Team effort really improving and we starting to reap the rewards.

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 08:25:15 AM »
I'm not sure about this move for Cyd Gray because of the way Gills treat Sancho.

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2005, 08:34:14 AM »
ha.  gills need defenders-they not stupid.   didnt we see last wknd they let in 5.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2005, 08:54:58 AM »
You can't nearly make the Big Dance, yuh have to make it.  Look how men and clubs starting to recognize us now.  This achievement is monumental to Trinidad and Tobago football and the players now have even better opportunities to be seen.

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2005, 09:04:17 AM »
[/size]

Tobago-born defender Cyd Gray has made a name for himself in recent times with some polished performances against Mexico and Bahrain. And now the former Joe Public and current CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh man has attracted the interest of English League One side Gillingham FC among other overseas clubs.
Gray is being honoured by the Tobago House of Assembly this week for his exploits with the “Soca Warriors” and has come in form high praise from former England international Terry Fenwick who signed him from Joe Pubic.
“This guy has been excellent especially when you look back at the story leading up to his last couple performances,” Fenwick said.
“I took him from Joe Public just after the game which T&T lost to Costa Rica 3-0 in 2001 when two of the goals came from his side and he came in for harsh criticism. Everyone was giving him the stick at that time. But I saw other things and we realised he was a solid defender and competitor.
His distribution wasn’t good and even though he had great pace, he could end up hot headed at times. We put one or two things into his game and we worked on it and this has been the rewards. He’s wants to win things every time he steps on the field. He’s not just done good things for Jabloteh or for the country but he’s done good for Cyd Gray.
He’s now in a position to move on to better things with the country getting massive exposure world-wide in the six months leading up to the World Cup.”
Gray couldn’t have felt better. “Right now it’s just an unbelievable feeling. Coming from Tobago and seeing what Dwight has been able to achieve, as a player you always try to imagine and dream about certain things.
Here it is I have just played for a team that has made it to the World Cup and there is nothing that can make you feel better,” Gray added following the 1-0 win over Bahrain.
West Brom eyes Carlos Edwards.
[/size]

Midfielder Carlos Edwards, still new into his contract with English Championship club Luton Town, is being eyed for a new switch to Premiership side West Bromwich Albion.
Word on the weekend was that former England international Bryan Robson, now in charge at West Brom was keen on Edwards having seen him in action for Luton and after signing Edwards’ team-mate Curtis Davies during the last transfer window, Robson could now try to get Edwards by January. It is rumoured that Edwards could cost around TT$7.5 million.
The former Wrexham star was involved for 90 minutes as Luton stopped Crystal Palace 2-0 on the weekend to take a 5th place stance on the latest League standings.
Edwards is still smiling over T&T’s World Cup qualification.
“It’s a real dream come true. Who would have expected this? And if you look back at me suffering that injury against Dominican Republic in the first game last year and then we had a difficult period especially up to the 5-1 loss to Guatemala. You think now that this really is like a dream,” an elated Edwards said on the flight back from Bahrain. “I think there are so many people who need to be commended for this and it starts from the bosses at the top like Jack Warner and coach Leo Beenhakker and then men around the team and most important the players and God. We have everything to look forward to now.”
Dwight thinks of Germany’s WC day & night.

T&T’s skipper Dwight Yorke last week admitted that he never in a million years thought he would grace the World Cup playing fields for his country.
Yorke, captain of Sydney FC, said he has found it hard to focus on anything else other than T&T’s historic qualification success after a 1-0 win over Bahrain on November 16.
Yorke said he remains committed to his Australian club, but the thoughts of going to Germany with the “Soca Warriors” has been on his mind day and night.
He added that, he’s had a big week of celebrations with close friend Brian Lara as the both toasted to the latter’s World Test record and T&T’s booking for Germany.
“Never in a million years would I have expected everything that has happened. When I left the Premiership I had no idea what would happen, but the last five months have been unbelievable,” Yorke said.
He’s attracted much fanfare at Sydney and now he has won new supporters who will be there to see both Australia and T&T at next year’s Finals.
“It has been a massive thing for our country to make the World Cup, as we are only a tiny country and it is the first time we have done it,” he said. “It has been hard to think about anything else. Obviously something like that can be a distraction and I have been caught up a bit in the celebration.”
for what?.. This man too flicking wild..Look like sey dem have a man fi him to mash up!!! I think this man is either Warner horn child or "de blight Don" son...or maybe ATO nephew ;D   this man  reckless nuh rass..I see this man gave away a free kick against Bahrun I sey wey de mudda so and so this man doing innah de team dred!!!!!!!!!!!!!! everytime de ball go by him mi bawl look trouble ....This man reckless..could be a good player but him to damn reckless and gaves away free kicks to close too his GK.. But mi na go hate on de man.. I wish nuff players get A Deal fareign and mek sum money dey deserve it .. Cyd do yu ting bredda but please doh bruck up nobody in practice...
warmonga...
Black Lives Matter..

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2005, 09:09:44 AM »
I hope Carlos stay put...Luton going places like he said when he first signed with them, while WBA will be in a perennial relegation struggle. Plus, Robson doh play attractive football and would not allow Carlos the freedom he need to shine
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2005, 09:21:07 AM »
Dem clubs aint chupid either, dey trying to snap up players early so if they have a good showing at the World Cup, their value increases for a bigger club to buy.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline Tongue

• Hero Warrior
  • Blue is the Colour.....Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2005, 09:24:53 AM »
ENT!

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2005, 11:05:16 AM »
nah man, i like the gills but their ownership give trinis a hardtime, just like they have with sancho. and they have been falling fast in the table, after being relegated. but seeing as though it is gray, this can be a great move for him. hopefully he'd be able to turn it around for gillingham...if they are indeed interested.
Hart for president

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2005, 11:09:21 AM »
is d whole back line from trini d gills want???

two central defenders and a right back

jus now dey go be link wit anton pierre or avery an dat go be d end of dat

like one a dem read d post wen we say we go buy d club from dem?????
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2005, 12:23:22 PM »
Good news for Cyd but i thinking as since Gillingham looking to get new ownership if that a smart move.

I'm not sure about this move for Cyd Gray because of the way Gills treat Sancho.

Dem clubs aint chupid either, dey trying to snap up players early so if they have a good showing at the World Cup, their value increases for a bigger club to buy.

I eh tink Cyd go have many options. De man is already 32 years old.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2005, 02:28:06 PM »
I think it was said earlier, i don't mind if the man go, it will be a good experience for him to start playing in europe, higher level of training and games, from a business perspective i hope Jabloteh have some sort of "BUY ON" clause in the transfer cause if he were to be sold and then go world cup and have a good showing his value will go up and don't feel Gillingham wont sell him to a higher division club for the right price which is good still. But Jabloteh must get a piece of the pie as well from the second transfer.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline Baygo Boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2005, 03:12:01 PM »
I like how all the potentials for the national team getting promotion to big teams.

One note though ..... why is it everytime someone from Tobago get s and opportunity they make it sound like it could never happen.

Coming from Tobago and seeing what Dwight has been able to achieve, as a player you always try to imagine and dream about certain things.

It have nothing to do with where u come from ...but what you in general ...... time to come out of the small island mentality.

Cowen, please don't get me started. First of all please read Yorke's autobiography, and hear OUR captain tell it like it is regarding that. By the way - What is YOUR definition of small island mentality?

Offline Solo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2005, 08:28:07 PM »
Cyd Gray deserves a break like this and it will continue to help in opening up opportunities for all the other players in the squad.

Offline Cowen

• Hero Warrior
  • Conquer without risk is to triumph without Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2005, 09:15:59 PM »

Cowen, please don't get me started. First of all please read Yorke's autobiography, and hear OUR captain tell it like it is regarding that. By the way - What is YOUR definition of small island mentality?

Don't get vex padnah ..... all i saying is that there are people from Tobago that act as if being from Tobago makes them handicapped or something...... and we suppsoed to feel sorry for them.

Example.
The day of the Bahrain vs T&T game in Trinidad... is pressure just to get tickets to go the game ...but i get tickets.

Up by the stadium is pressure to get in the stadium. Shoulder to shoudler crowd .... police and army blocking fans from entering and you can't shit left or right All of ah sudden this man jump up.... he want to pass. People start ot bawl pass and go where... the an say he have get to the front. Everybody want to get to the front ...what make you so special.

I from Tobago that is why i have to get to the front. Imagine that is the explanation that big hard back man will look to say. Is cuss start to pelt ... i cussing to. That man will open he mouth and say is only because i fron Tobago allyuh getting on so .. and i know allyuh don't like we.

That is the kinda small island mentality i talking bout. Is a small island yes ... sometimes tobago gets lost in the whole Trinidad scene..... but is one love and one island ..... don't wear the fact that you from Tobago as a chip on your shoulder for people to feel sorry fuh yuh and hope that you get special previledge.

If that is what u does do ....... you suffering from the same flicking thing SIS.

I happy for the man ..... the man is a prefessional ...no matter where yuh come from once yuh good enough ...somebody will find you.

Check de Danger :beermug:
Attended Mad Mad University
Studied Madology
Obtained a Mad Mad Degree

Offline Skoobibloo

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2005, 08:13:28 AM »

We got a new boss now and the way we were destroyed 5-0 at the weekend, I'm pretty sure Sancho will be back in the team very soon!!

He had his first full game in the reserves at the weekend since his injury and came through that OK, so he'll be back in the team soon.......and hopefully we'll improve, but we were rubbish on Saturday - they were missing the one thing T&T always have plenty of PASSION and wanting to play for your team!!!!

I hope you do play Scotland at Upton Park - coz I'll be there!!!

GO WARRIORS
Now we have 2 of your boys playing for us...you should know the score!!

Offline Baygo Boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2005, 09:11:11 AM »

Don't get vex padnah ..... all i saying is that there are people from Tobago that act as if being from Tobago makes them handicapped or something...... and we suppsoed to feel sorry for them.

Example.
The day of the Bahrain vs T&T game in Trinidad... is pressure just to get tickets to go the game ...but i get tickets.

Up by the stadium is pressure to get in the stadium. Shoulder to shoudler crowd .... police and army blocking fans from entering and you can't shit left or right All of ah sudden this man jump up.... he want to pass. People start ot bawl pass and go where... the an say he have get to the front. Everybody want to get to the front ...what make you so special.

I from Tobago that is why i have to get to the front. Imagine that is the explanation that big hard back man will look to say. Is cuss start to pelt ... i cussing to. That man will open he mouth and say is only because i fron Tobago allyuh getting on so .. and i know allyuh don't like we.

That is the kinda small island mentality i talking bout. Is a small island yes ... sometimes tobago gets lost in the whole Trinidad scene..... but is one love and one island ..... don't wear the fact that you from Tobago as a chip on your shoulder for people to feel sorry fuh yuh and hope that you get special previledge.

If that is what u does do ....... you suffering from the same flicking thing SIS.

I happy for the man ..... the man is a prefessional ...no matter where yuh come from once yuh good enough ...somebody will find you.

Check de Danger :beermug:

Cowen, first of all Tobagonians don't want NOBODY feel sorry for them, all we want is fairness, and a greater understanding of our situation(s). For every scenerio like you described involving a Tobagonian, there are 50 like that we (Tobagonians) experience from Trinis. Who you think made us feel like 2nd class citizens over the decades - Trinidadians, not the foreigners.

Boss who you know that have more chip on their shoulder than a Trini. Cowen it is clear that you have absolutely no idea whatTobagonians have gone through thanks to the politics of Trinidad, and the attitudes of MANY Trinis, most of who are held bent on sweeping the issue under the rug.

Like you said - we are one family, but Tobago historically has been treated like to step child. You need to pay just as much attention to what going on in Tobago, as you pay to OUR warriors, and only then you will understand how Tobagonians feel.

I, like most Tobagonians don't hate Trinidad/Trinidadians, but please don't pretend to be blind to our plight, then you will NEVER see.

When ever you meet Tobagonian ballers like Kevin Nelson, Ashley MacMillan, Richard Goddard, Hayden Fitzwilliams, and in your next life Rolston "Sibby" James - just ask them how much help they got from Trinidadians in respect to  their careers, and how many times they got passed over for a lesser talented Trini, and just listen. Rolston was lighting up the PFL, but they never try to get him something abroad (the man beg them) , how yuh think he end up with Connection.

When you meet Rolston (in heaven), ask him what Jabloteh was paying him, as against what they was paying Sam and others, ask him how much months he had to beg to get a simple raise, ask him how it hurt, ask some of his former Jabloteh team mates, ask him 'bout the empty promises (something that most Tobagonians have come to expect from Trinidad).

MacMillian was lighting the semi-pro league ask Carrington, then ask Macmillian what Jabloteh offer him - he had no choice but to move back to Tobago, ask Hayden Fitzwilliams what he was offered, he too had to stay in Tobago, and then he got something in the CPSL.

Ask EVERY Tobagonian that playing pro ball overseas who get them their deal - guess what  not a Trini, When officials of the TTFF  found out that Kevin was getting a contract with Ottawa Wizards in the CPSL (the agreement made Kevin, Ashley, Richard and Shurland David some of the highest paid players in all of Canada) - they tell him don't take it, he found out later that is because they wanted to see what they could get for him, even after he was a free agent. There isn't a Tobagonian pro player abroad that got their deal through a Trini, is another Tobagonian that did it - ah ain't calling names - not yet at least. You ever ask yourself - how come so many talented Tobagonian ballers still in Tobago, and not in the PFL?

All yuh might cuss meh for this, but before yuh start call them players, and Dwight, and sit down and listen. I assure you that after you hear these lads describe their experiences, you will  then understand, and throughout all this, we Tobagonians still find it in us to stand in solidarity with Trinidad.
If yuh say is one love -then prove it. Now start denying.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2005, 09:18:59 AM by Baygo Boy »

Offline ballfever

• Jr. Warrior
  • Dream d'dream, live d'game!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2005, 03:58:24 AM »
Fellas, I been reading dem posts, and this one hit home, for the very reasons that baygoboy outlined above. i know a few of those guys personally e.g richard goddard out of bishop's and i echo. talk to these guys. the horror stories that some of them would give u would make u wonder why tobagonians so desperate to chart their own course...not because of any break up talk, but because of d sh*t that has gone on over d years and is still evident today >:(.it comin' out now in d football, but it run so much deeper than that.No love lost though, :beermug: d'unity still there, and if it take only 2 guys on a national squad to make people open dey eyes, then so be it.
if yuh check mih heart in mih chest, mix up wit d'red blood, it have a black & white stripe somewhere in dey!.....long b4 foot ball,durin' world cup and after..T&T FOREVER! WE COUNTRY, WE SPIRIT,WE VIBES! WARRIOR NATION!

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2005, 06:11:57 AM »
Fellas, I been reading dem posts, and this one hit home, for the very reasons that baygoboy outlined above. i know a few of those guys personally e.g richard goddard out of bishop's and i echo. talk to these guys. the horror stories that some of them would give u would make u wonder why tobagonians so desperate to chart their own course...not because of any break up talk, but because of d sh*t that has gone on over d years and is still evident today >:(.it comin' out now in d football, but it run so much deeper than that.No love lost though, :beermug: d'unity still there, and if it take only 2 guys on a national squad to make people open dey eyes, then so be it.

I now realizing is this kinda dramma going on here.. Like I tell any person I hear talking about Tobago this and tobago that, I challenge them to go accross to tobago and live for 6 months and then get back to me.. I am sure they will have a much better appreciation of what goes on, and change their way of thinking ... Undetstand i am not making any kinda apologies for ignorant people from tobago.. But one must understand that their behaviour did not JUST COME ABOUT.... Is was sparked by something REAL...

I am not making any excuses for ignorant Trinidadians cause i hear them all the time... They lack understanding for a situation they know nothing about.... truss me, the relationship between the islands have made ALOT of tobagonians Bitter... Very bitter...
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline gtokyo

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2005, 06:24:46 AM »
It lookin like d whole Gillingham team is full ah TRINI ;D.....dat is MADNESS. >:(..we players better than that.....fellas allyuh wait for better contract...all yuh deserve better......Allyuh is not REFUGEE...allyuh fellas is SOCA WARRIORS...going to d FLICKIN WORLD CUP.... >:(

Online Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2005, 08:44:17 AM »
What I want right now is for our fellas to be as prepared as possible for next June.  If Cyd could go in the January transfer window he will get some good exposure and hopefully add one or two bits of knowledge to his game.  Then of course after WC he will continue to pull in some decent $$.

1]; } ?>