April 25, 2024, 01:28:24 PM

Author Topic: Hero's welcome for Cyd Gray  (Read 2541 times)

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
Hero's welcome for Cyd Gray
« on: December 02, 2005, 08:55:16 AM »
Hero's welcome for Cyd Gray
Tobago News

Cyd Gray, one of the two Tobago players who wee members of the Soca Warriors in their history-making victory against Bahrain to qualify for the 2006 World Cup received a hero's welcome on his return home, earlier in the week.

The other Tobago player was none other than this country's and region's most celebrated and renowned footballer who is the captain of the Soca Warriors, Dwight Yorke. However, because of his professional commitment, he was unable to return home to be celebrated for his role in their success.

Gray who was accompanied by another Soca Warrior in Denzil Theobald was greeted by a band of jubilant supporters on his arrival at Crown Point International airport and paraded from Crown Point to Delaford and back to his primary school alma mater, Roxborough Anglican.

During the journey he made various stops and signed autographs for school children and others who had lined the streets for his welcome home party.

At his alma mater, he enjoyed an entertaining cultural programme with some of the items being performed by school children. There were also addresses by Representative for the Area, Assemblyman and Secretary for Agriculture Hilton Sandy, Assistant Secretary for Sports Tracy Davidson, School Principal Ken Webster who was one of his former teachers, Roxborough Composite School Principal James Jack and one of his former classmates Ancil Toppin.

Gray gave a passionate response when he spoke, indicating that playing in the World Cup was his life's long dream and said that he hopes to secure a foreign contract after the World Cup. He then spent time with the youngsters offering them words of advice and signing autographs.

The celebrations were organised by his former football club, Roxborough Lakers and his alma mater Roxborough Anglican School.

Gray will also be celebrated by Roxborough Composite School today (Friday), his other alma mater and will be an honoured guest of the Tobago House of Assembly for their 25th anniversary celebrations.

He and Yorke will receive the Chief Secretary's Award which is the highest award that will be awarded at the THA's Awards function at Mason Hall Government High School on Saturday.
Tribute to Cyd Gray
Tobago News

Hundreds of villagers of Roxborough gave a hero's welcome to their village boy and Soca Warrior's defender Cyd Gray on Monday.

Gray who was accompanied by his teammate Densill Theobald arrived at Crown Point airport earlier in the morning where he was received by supporters of the Lakers Sports Club.

In a true motorcade style, Cyd and Desil was afforded the privilege to wave and greet pedestrian from a jeep and made several stops at pre-school and primary school along Windward Road to Roxborough. The village of Roxborough was cramped with schoolchildren from Cyd's alma mater, Roxborough Composite and Roxborough Anglican School.

Production came to a temporary halt as government offices and business places close their doors to pay tribute to the Cyd.

Later in the day at a function hosted by Lakers and Roxborough A.C. Primary at the Roxborough Anglican Auditorium, several prominent villagers paid tribute to him. Schoolteacher and Acting Principal Ken Webster recalled Cyd's primary school days at Roxborough. Several tokens were presented on behalf of school and the PTA. A Wall of Fame was later unveiled in his honour.

Representative for the area and Secretary of Agriculture, Marine Affairs and the Environment Hilton Sandy congratulated Cyd and Lakers Sports Club for placing Roxborough on the map.

Sandy also called on his colleague and Asst. Secretary of Sport and Youth Affairs Tracy Davidson to rename the renovated Roxborough Complex, "The Cyd Gray Sports Complex".

Roxborough Police Youth Club leader Collis Hazel who addressed the function, reminded the packed "Bass School" as it is popular known, that the village of Roxborough has been waiting a long for such a function.

Hazel recalled that 24 years ago Roxborough celebrated the victory of Claude Noel for bringing home the World Lightweight boxing title. "Ironically", Hazel said, "Cyd Gray wears the number 24, so while Trinidad and Tobago waited 16 years to qualify for the World Cup Finals, Roxborough has waited 24 years for its second world class sporting event of prominence."

The Roxborough Police Youth Club through its leader declared that one of the competitions in the popular Night Football knockout tournament would be named the Cyd Gray Knockout Finals. Hazel informed the crowd that efforts would be made to secure funding from corporate organisations to ensure a posse from Roxborough visit Germany to support the Soca warriors in June 2006.

A talented display of cultural items, including poems written by Cyd's teachers Sharon Anderson and Louisa Bess Hercules brought the gala function to an end.

TOBAGONIAN Cyd Gray (right) and Densil Theobald share honours among children in Tobago.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2005, 09:12:31 AM by Tallman »
Live large and prosper!

Offline Baygo Boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Hero's welcome for Cyd Gray
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 09:21:12 AM »
Go El Cid!!!!!

truetrini

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005, 09:26:49 AM »
look how cyd gone clear eh?

4 months ago he was ah goat.

Offline Baygo Boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 10:04:01 AM »
Truetrini, that life for yuh  :beermug:

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 10:36:51 AM »
ah giving him he nickname now...." CYD VICIOUS".....ANYONE WITH POP CULTURE KNOWLEDGE WILL KNOW " SID VICIOUS...THE INFAMOUS BASS PLAYER FOR THE ENGLISH PUNK ROCK GROUP " THE SEX PISTOLS"........WELL DONE CYD

truetrini

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2005, 10:42:01 AM »
ok bm

de way he move in de team was inCYDious

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2005, 11:04:25 AM »
Ah cyar believe Cyd Gray is ah big star now.I just cyar believe it!How ah  man could move from one end of the spectrum to the other in just four months ,now foreign clubs after him.Unbelievable ! Yu just cyar tell nah..... Good luck to the bago boy.

truetrini

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2005, 11:27:17 AM »
de youth obviously has teh right mentality.

Each coach kept him around.

Raw talent+desire+strong work ethic=success!

Offline rastafari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2005, 12:38:04 PM »

I doh believe he was ever a goat because i've been watching him from that roxborough composite intercol team and he was always solid, so maybe he was overlooked in the past.
This is the thing i do not like de system for,  the fact that he came from a small team in a small zone is probably why he never get too much recognition early in his career.
Tobago has quite a lot of good footballers for such a small population but the TTFF need to start putting there money where there mouth is now.
We need investment in we football not just in Tobago though, but for the entire nation.
But he certainly was not a goat, i could tell yuh that from watching him play back in de days.

Truetrini I am  not from Tobago, is just a matter of a matter of opinion.

JAH BLESS RASTAFARI

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2005, 12:42:38 PM »
Well done Cyd..nice to see you getting yours!

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2005, 01:39:39 PM »
Some of the other players
The coaching staff and TTFF officials should have gone as well and the tour should have been organized for TnT and Tobago.

It always seem that Tobago alyas get second hand stuff,

but maybe that is just my perception

truetrini

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2005, 01:46:30 PM »

I doh believe he was ever a goat because i've been watching him from that roxborough composite intercol team and he was always solid, so maybe he was overlooked in the past.
This is the thing i do not like de system for,  the fact that he came from a small team in a small zone is probably why he never get too much recognition early in his career.
Tobago has quite a lot of good footballers for such a small population but the TTFF need to start putting there money where there mouth is now.
We need investment in we football not just in Tobago though, but for the entire nation.
But he certainly was not a goat, i could tell yuh that from watching him play back in de days.

Truetrini I am  not from Tobago, is just a matter of a matter of opinion.

JAH BLESS RASTAFARI

As far as Cyd being a goat..ask anyone with half ah ounce ah honesty, dey go tell yuh he was ah goat!

He get plenty chances and he eh really do nutten much.

when Beenie call him nuff man ask why?

Now he is doing well..so I was justified in making de goat statement...from dat point ah view.

Now as far as the need to develop football in Tobago yuh saying trinis need to put dey money where dey mout is...should be Jack putting money wey he mout is..ent?

As he and he boys in charge ah football in T&T.

Yuh staing de obvious about small places producing big ballers..Yorke is testament to that fact.

peace

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2005, 01:53:10 PM »
Even doh ah used to pound yuh...and ah still doh kno how yuh making out wid Ronaldihno ;D I wish you ALL de BEST in de future. Keep up the good work!

Very classy move Tobago massive for treating de boy good.
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline skins

• Barca4ever
  • Hero Warrior
  • orginally from san do
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2005, 01:57:55 PM »
What is the Chief Secretary Award. First time i hearing about that. Anyway nice to see tobago treating Cyd real nice. At first i didn't want him on the team but the man prove meh wrong. Big up to Cyd. You really work hard and now you are being honor my your country. Great  ;D

Offline Aymir

• JABLOTEH FOREVER
  • Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Jabloteh
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2005, 02:27:18 PM »
in four months?....nah cyd has been knocking on the door for a long time now....he has the best work ethic and that is what coaches love about him

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2005, 02:52:03 PM »
Anybody remember his debut vs. CR in 2001.

Dat man get pong on dis board boy. :)

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2005, 04:14:59 PM »
Anybody remember his debut vs. CR in 2001.

Dat man get pong on dis board boy. :)

VB

Ent!!.... Remember Anil Roberts commentary!!!  :rotfl:

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

1]; } ?>