April 27, 2024, 11:20:22 AM

Author Topic: Player to Watch: Montiel leads Paraguay's third wave  (Read 1192 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Player to Watch: Montiel leads Paraguay's third wave
« on: February 07, 2006, 06:39:58 AM »
Player to Watch: Montiel leads Paraguay's third wave
By FIFAworldcup.com

Paraguay have begun to threaten the supremacy of the established heavyweights of South American football with a series of steadily improving performances. Thorough preparation has been a key factor in the GuaranĂ­ success story, with Paraguay putting their faith in the talented youngsters who form the backbone of their new-look side.

Next up for the Albirroja is Germany 2006 and the chance to prove that they are indeed on the right track. While the likes of Jose Luis Chilavert, Celso Ayala, Catalino Rivarola, Estanislao Struway and Jorge Campos may no longer be around, veterans Carlos Gamarra, Denis Caniza, Roberto Acuna and Jose Cardozo are still doing a fine job and rubbing shoulders with new faces like Justo Villar, Carlos Paredes, Roque Santa Cruz and Nelson Haedo Valdez.

And the stream of talent does not end there: Paraguay have already begun to reap the benefits of a third wave of new players, with 17-year-old Jose Arnulfo Montiel, the hottest young star of GuaranĂ­ football, leading the way.

Growing up fast
Montiel, or Monti for short, was born on 19 March 1988 in Itagua. The youngest of four children, he took his first steps on the footballing ladder with his hometown side Club Olimpia. In a curious twist of fate, scouts from another Club Olimpia, Paraguay's oldest and best-supported side, spotted his talent and moved quickly to sign him. The technically gifted central midfielder, blessed with a gem of a right foot and the vision to match, made his debut on 12 February 2004 against Sol America, and has not looked back since.

"It didn't scare me, it was all perfectly natural. The responsibility of wearing the shirt didn't get to me, and I don't think it ever will," said the player, showing admirable maturity for a then 16-year-old. As he worked hard to cement his place in the first team at Olimpia, Montiel was chosen to represent his country at the South American U-15 Championship 2004, held in Paraguay.

His participation was thrown into doubt after he fractured a tibia three months before the start of the tournament and with seven long weeks of recuperation ahead of him, few felt he would be ready for the opening game on 11 September. Yet against all the odds, Monti played 17 minutes of his side's first match and 42 minutes of the second, enough to win back his place in the starting XI. He went on to play a starring role in the team that defeated Colombia on penalties to win the title, effortlessly tucking away his own spot-kick in the shoot-out.

Montiel's second experience in an Albirroja shirt came in April of the following year during the South American qualifying phase for the FIFA U-17 World Championship Peru 2005. Again Montiel caught the eye with his disciplined and efficient play, not to mention the three goals he contributed to the Paraguay cause. One of these came in the final match of the group phase against the mighty Brazil, although his joy at scoring was outweighed by the disappointment of missing out on qualification. "I hope that this helps us all to mature. Missing out on the World Championship is a painful blow for Paraguay," he said.

First goal
Back in Olimpia colours, Montiel's performances continued to guide him inexorably towards a full national team debut. On 4 May, he received the Fair Play award for the first time, on no less a heated occasion than the derby with local rivals Cerro Porteno. In a fiercely contested midfield battle, Montiel's class and composure shone through and more was to follow. Just two weeks later, he scored his first goal for the club against Libertad. "I'm dedicating this goal to my mum for Mother's Day. She's the one who's always there to support me, and she deserves my love and affection more than anybody," he declared after the game.

With displays like these, it came as no surprise to see top European clubs vying for his signature. First on the scene were Swiss side Basel, but a proposed deal eventually fell through. Swift to pick up the pieces were Italian club Udinese, who signed the player with a view to him joining the club in the summer of 2006. Montiel gave his future employers a tantalising glimpse of his ability when scoring in a 3-0 friendly win over Venezia in January.

With a place at Germany 2006 all but assured, Paraguay coach Anibal Ruiz blooded Montiel in his side's final two qualifying games last year. The youngster himself appeared more surprised than anyone at the opportunity. "I didn't expect it, but the moment has arrived and now I have to give it everything to be able to justify all the expectation. I'm ready," he said with conviction, after receiving the good news.

Montiel made his official debut on 8 October last year in the 1-0 win over Venezuela that secured Paraguay's ticket to Germany. He may have played just 13 minutes, but they were enough to see him earn a starting place for the next match against Colombia just four days later. Despite his side's 1-0 home defeat, Monti earned rave reviews from fans and press alike. "It's a boyhood dream come true. The applause? It spurred me on, no doubt about it. It's now down to me to work twice as hard so as not to disappoint my supporters. This is another starting point for me," he said modestly after the match.

National coach Ruiz was full of praise for this flowering talent. "It's not often in football that a youngster bursts on to the scene who is so technically gifted that he becomes a hero after just one game. Stars like these need playing time and support, just as great footballers in Argentina, Uruguay, Spain, England, Italy and even Paraguay have blossomed over time."

On the eve of the Colombia game, Montiel gave perhaps the clearest insight into the type of player he is. Given that Paraguay had already qualified, he was asked if the team would take their foot off the pedal. Montiel's answer brooked no debate: "I'm playing for a place at the World Cup, and so I'll be giving it everything." Spoken like a true professional.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
Re: Player to Watch: Montiel leads Paraguay's third wave
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 06:42:59 AM »
yes good ting my ticket iz fuh the england game.

in my eyes thats gonna be the victory party fuh trini
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

1]; } ?>