April 15, 2024, 10:12:02 PM

Author Topic: Is the MLS a solid league for our players?  (Read 7237 times)

Offline fish

• Sr. Warrior
  • "Study the past if you would define the future"
    • View Profile
Re: Is the MLS a solid league for our players?
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2011, 09:37:38 PM »
Darryl Roberts got drafted by Toronto FC and owned his rights when he made his move to Sparta.

I know it was reported in de press, but when I ask him dat a few years ago, he say he eh know nutten about dat.

Date: February 29 2008
Tallman : I read somewhere that Toronto FC has your MLS rights for two years. What does that mean?
Darryl Roberts : (2:30 PM EST) Toronto has no rights on me. This has come as a surprise to me.

Who is Sheldon Thomas?

A forward from Benedicts who played in de 1998 Caribbean Cup.

L.A. Galaxy calls up Kevin Legg, Sheldon Thomas and Craig Waibel
Sheldon Thomas, who grew up playing soccer in Trinidad, now is scoring goals for Titans

Seerious? I thought once you go up for the draft, and a team picks you, they have your rights as a players for a whatever time frame they agree upon.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2016, 12:56:48 PM »
Nice post.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2016, 02:59:52 PM »
was checking out the level of play in that final ...and wondering in which league in the world I would see that level of play, losing the ball so cheaply, throw way etc.
I think molino & joevin could step up to other leagues..argentina, mexico, ...and it would improve their games. It is a taste of reality though that the majority of our players can't even make the starting 11 in this league...I don't know but the contract thing but barring that I think is a decent level to aim for for the weakest of our players (not the strongest).

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2016, 03:59:17 PM »
kounty, I watched Manu and West Ham this morning, and both teams many a times doing the same thing you are questioning. The MlS is by no way on par with the top Euro league in terms of team unit skills. But they do have quite a few skillful players. It will still take some time.The MLS still play a heavy dose of hit and run ball.That is still part of the American psyche. Speed, fitness and score.

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2016, 06:02:24 AM »
was checking out the level of play in that final ...and wondering in which league in the world I would see that level of play, losing the ball so cheaply, throw way etc.
I think molino & joevin could step up to other leagues..argentina, mexico, ...and it would improve their games. It is a taste of reality though that the majority of our players can't even make the starting 11 in this league...I don't know but the contract thing but barring that I think is a decent level to aim for for the weakest of our players (not the strongest).

Unfortunately I think a lot of the current crop of players consider the MLS the pinnacle of a football career. Even if they are not a designated player they could easily make 80-120K USD (520-780k TTD) per year.

Consider the Pro League which may pay between 48-72K TTD per year, A young man if not coming form a background of wealth will think that kind of money he can take care of himself and his family, he playing in front of sold out stadia every week, major fan support unlike what we get even at a local international game. Let's not discount the ability to live in the United States and the first world experience of that for a young man and possibly his family as well for safety, education and healthcare.

In the interview with Jan Michael Williams a few weeks ago he made an interesting point. This current crop of players are motivated by different things, more than just putting on the shirt. I dont think we can discount that. I think as fans we all think that all players want to aspire play in top European leagues and champions league and every thing else is mediocre but we probably have only a handful of players ever to play at that level. I sure in the mind of some of our players that once they feel they can make a wage that allows them to look after themselves then they are good.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

1]; } ?>