March 28, 2024, 02:28:20 AM

Author Topic: Latapy continues to win praise  (Read 4433 times)

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Latapy continues to win praise
« on: December 04, 2005, 01:06:03 PM »
I was reading up on the Rangers Falkirk game where Latapy and Marvin Andrews played in and ended 2-2. I found 2 articles which named Russell as player of the game:
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/sport/story/0,6903,1657304,00.html

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2093-1903101,00.html

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Latapy continues to win praise
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2005, 01:11:40 PM »
Like to see dat! big up to we boys! Even Andrews rating was higher than most of the other rangers players!
go TnT
« Last Edit: December 04, 2005, 01:15:31 PM by dctriniwhiteboy »
Back in Trini...

truetrini

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2005, 01:17:50 PM »
The damn man is still de genius, and de BEST middle man to ever don a T&T shirt.

Offline FalkirkBairn

• New Warrior
  • A Trinidadian werewolf in Falkirk !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2005, 01:30:27 PM »
Russell was magnificent yesterday at Ibrox. Falkrik controlled long spells of this game and came from 2-0 down to get a draw with Russell controlling the midfield throughout and he was clearly man of the match.
47,000 silent Rangers fans and 1,000 extremely noisy Falkirk fans.

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005, 09:23:35 AM »
Russell still has the ability to almost single-handedly control a game, yet, in a number of posts on this site, people exclude him from their world cup starting eleven. Whey is this the case? 
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

jusme

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2005, 09:51:46 AM »
Russell still has the ability to almost single-handedly control a game, yet, in a number of posts on this site, people exclude him from their world cup starting eleven. Whey is this the case? 

My reasons for not including him in the starting 11
1) He can't necessarily give you 90 minutes in any given game.  If you start a man knowing that you have to take him off, it limits the use of your 3 substitutions.   What if another important player (or two) has to be taken out also for tactical or injury purposes.  Maybe Latas would have been the natural replacement, but instead we end up with having to take the 2 of them off and suffer a lack of quality on the field.
2) Latas is not going to contribute a lot to the defensive aspect of the game so I think Beenie should wait to see how the game is going and figure out what role he could be most effective in without being a liability.  He has the touch, skill and vision to play any attacking position on the field competently and adds a lot of depth to the bech
3) Our team's speed definitely leaves a lot to be desired at almost every position on the field.  Especially when you consider the increased level of competition at the WC. 
4 (most important) ) Aurtis whitley has gained the confidence to control the midfield at international level.  It took him a few games but I think the torch was passed the moment he decided to take on defenders and take that shot that hit the post for stern to score the rebound in the mexico game.

I expect him to see playing time in every game, but I don't think his best role for our team is from the first whistle

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2005, 09:55:11 AM »
I fully agree with that.
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2005, 09:56:32 AM »
I go put my head on the block.

Dwight and Russell have journeyed so long and finally reach the big stage, it seem fitting they go ALL OUT to have the best tournament they can AS INDIVIDUALS. 
I say as individuals because they are the type of players to lead from the front and pull everyone else along with them.  Is team ball and Dwight is the captain but we have alot to gain if they raise their game.

In the technical department they have it down.

Old age catching up to them and even with their technical ability and skillz they hadda be in top shape or they will get run over.

Dwight doh joke around with fitness but he hadda watch out with that long ass break in the A-League.  Not just fitness but being sharp.

Latas now.  I not sure what his routine is but it sound like it have some room for increasing his fitness level.
If he just keep at the same level he at now he will be selling himself short (jus my opinion).  He will still be on the team but it might make Leo job easier if he could last longer and worry less about pacing himself because they will be swarming him.  The rest of the team hadda be ready for that too.

This World Cup going and be a tough assignment but this team have real balls.

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2005, 10:03:19 AM »

My reasons for not including him in the starting 11
1) He can't necessarily give you 90 minutes in any given game.  If you start a man knowing that you have to take him off, it limits the use of your 3 substitutions.   What if another important player (or two) has to be taken out also for tactical or injury purposes.  Maybe Latas would have been the natural replacement, but instead we end up with having to take the 2 of them off and suffer a lack of quality on the field.
2) Latas is not going to contribute a lot to the defensive aspect of the game so I think Beenie should wait to see how the game is going and figure out what role he could be most effective in without being a liability.  He has the touch, skill and vision to play any attacking position on the field competently and adds a lot of depth to the bech
3) Our team's speed definitely leaves a lot to be desired at almost every position on the field.  Especially when you consider the increased level of competition at the WC. 
4 (most important) ) Aurtis whitley has gained the confidence to control the midfield at international level.  It took him a few games but I think the torch was passed the moment he decided to take on defenders and take that shot that hit the post for stern to score the rebound in the mexico game.

I expect him to see playing time in every game, but I don't think his best role for our team is from the first whistle

jusme
Just take a look at our team in all the games prior to Russell returning.
especially the Gold Cup
then look at our team in the Guatemala return leg
There is no comparison
Our midfield is often non-existent with him off the field
When he is there we actually "look" like we are composed and competent of scoring goals.
With regards to not starting him,
Isn't it better to put him on the field then have the option of taking him off as opposed to bringing him on as a sub then realizing you have to take him off. That's just wasting a sub.
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2005, 10:15:16 AM »
Where Trininfinite... He say dog postion in doubt for the WC..
Ah man who playing college league go take he spot.... :rotfl:
Some people jus doh know...

jusme

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2005, 10:27:36 AM »
having seen all the games, I have no choice but to admit that there is marked improvement since he came back.  Stevie Wonder could see dat.

However I think there are 3 things to consider
1) It was a huge psychological boost, more than anything he gave these men who grew up idolizing him confidence that they could play a more constructive brand.
2) Whitley wasn't playing as consistently as he is now.  There's a big difference between dominating a game against northeast stars or W connection to dominating a game against the US or guatemala with WC qualification on the line.  Whitley just took a lil while to make the adjustment, the ability and work ethic were always there.  It is my opinion that he fully ready to take over the team now.
3)  The squad in the gold cup was missing Yorke and if I remember correctly Edwards was also out due to injury.   Players like Spann, Glen, Scotland and Collin Samuel were basically trying out for Beenie at the time as he had not seen much of them before (Cornell had play one game in the stadium for him, the others was brand new) and we hadn't developed the kinda cohesion we have now that we are a few months into Beenie's tenure.

I try to read all the Falkirk match reports that I can and most basically sound the same, Falkirk dominated possession with clever passing emanating from Russel Latapy whose performance dropped off in the second half.   this is just my opinion, but I think Falkirk would be glad to have a Dwight Yorke, Aurtis Whitley, Carlos Edwards or a Kenwyne Jones in their lineup to take some of the load off of the man.  They don't so they have to be more reliant on him than we should be.   Their best hope of doing well is to tailor their team to maximize his strengths and compensate for his weaknesses.  We not in the same boat, remember we had the quality to give Mexico a run for their money in Mexico long before anybody on this board coulda believe Latas was coming back.

I think it is very unlikely that Beenie would think about the game, put him in to play a certain role and then find that he need to take him back out because he can't do the job.  He too good and Beenie too smart for that situation to arise.  I think is more likely that another starting midfielder get kick down or something (not calling no names because I doh want to blight anybody) or maybe just having a bad game and den on top of that Latas get bun and we have to take him out too.  Depth is already the biggest problem on this squad.

Offline Milan!!!

• Naps man fuh life!!!
  • Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2005, 10:53:25 AM »
i totally agree with "jussme". Latas is by far one of the most talented midfielders out there, but as they say all good things must come to an end. I do not mean an end literally, but as age gets to Latas, no longer is he able to make or fully commit to 90 mins of football. I definitely think its worth having him on the bench(as was done in the last game against bahrain) and bring him on to either change the pace of the game..whether we need to keep ball possession or create more attacking chances to go at goal. Either way Latas is capbale of doing.

I have been hearing a lot about Latas from my scottish friends who support Falkirk. They jus love the guy and the praises he get...sometimes i wonder if ronaldo and them others exist..them scots revere him...for me..Latas is boss and will always be boss....no wonderi have a latas jersey from all de way back in 1989...

Warriors all de way!!!!!!!!

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2005, 01:51:22 PM »
I think it depends on how much playing time he get at Falkirk from now till the WC. If he cant handle 90 minutes consistently there then he wouldnt be able to handle 90 minutes in the WC. However, if Latapy gets a lot of full games at Falkirk from now till then, then I feel Latas must start in the world cup. Yes we have people like Whitley and dem coming up in the ranks but only Latas has and continues to hold his own in a mdifield against the best in the world. Latas is still we only world class midfielder tired and true and we needed him in qualifying and unless he really not fit enough to run ball for 90 mins, we need him to assert himself in the WC.
Right now Latas still pencil in to start for me in we opening game.

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2005, 01:53:30 PM »
The damn man is still de genius, and de BEST middle man to ever don a T&T shirt.

YES
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2005, 01:57:45 PM »
watch meh...allyuh want meh tuh bring de "LATAPY POLICE" fuh allyuh...watch nah......

ee oo eay....check de danger...ooh latapy inna de area...fuh 90 mins...

LATAPY

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2005, 01:59:35 PM »
despite the complete outatimingness of that ill still sing dat at d top of my lungs if ever it was made a song

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2005, 02:30:56 PM »
Latas is still a boss.

He can start or come on as a sub. What ever is best for the team on that day.

I saw his full games vs. Panama and Mex. and he didn't seem winded at the end.

However, next year June, Latas will be 38 and there could be a marked differnece.

Stoichkov and Haggi at 34 couldn't do what he's doing. However, when u hit ur 30s, it could start going at any moment.

Peace,
VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2005, 02:44:53 PM »
y some men does have all de luck

y i couldnt be hot like he

half he talent and i woulda marry ah brasil thing and win ah world cup next year
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2005, 02:45:28 PM »
 :rotfl:

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2005, 03:32:03 PM »
I am the biggest Whitley fan out here.
I have been singing his praises long before everyone jumped on his bandwagon (See: Whitley could be the X-factor posted months ago)
Having said that, I have seen all the games and can't conclude that he marshalls the middle like Latapy. No way, no how.
His touch and vision, while outstanding, aren't up to Latapy's today.
Trust me, having Latapy on that field makes a HUGE difference to the way the ball moves around the field.

In that Mexico game in Mexico we did NOT give them a run for their money. We were always on the backfoot and our best result from that game would have been a draw. While we played with great determination, we never truly threatened to win the game. You have to be honest with yourself and accept that.

In the second Bahrain game we looked terrible. Although we won, we should have completely dominated that side and scored at least 3 if not 4. To think that the team is better off without Latapy in the line-up is ludicrous.
You would have never been making this bold a statement just after the Guatemala and Mexico games.
It's sad how quickly we forget and our sense of reality gets lost in the euphoria of qualifying for the cup.
This is why ppl believe we beating Brazil and Argentina now....without Latapy in their lineup

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2005, 03:42:48 PM »
Marcos... I respectfully disagree with your entire post from the beginning to the end....

well not exactly.... I eh no Whitley waggonist.... I remember when I was one of the only men defending whitley saying that he was playing ah role for Beenie....
Second.... de 2 Bahrain playoffs... Latapy was invisible in de first and played minimal minutes in de second... it was all de whitley show... now if only de other players had bother to show up...
Third... while we were on de backfoot against Mexico... we were de away team.. it was beenie second game in charge alone.. and we were at altitude (not Mex City but still)... and I still maintain we lorse dat game by de bounce of de ball.... we were unlucky.... Right before Mex first goal... if Yorke header goes in we 1-0 up with roughly 25 mins to play....
The fellas game mighta raise instead of losing concentration when allowing Mex to score... It would have been a classic underdog playing away victory...

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2005, 03:47:50 PM »
Marcos... I respectfully disagree with your entire post from the beginning to the end....

well not exactly.... I eh no Whitley waggonist.... I remember when I was one of the only men defending whitley saying that he was playing ah role for Beenie....
Second.... de 2 Bahrain playoffs... Latapy was invisible in de first and played minimal minutes in de second... it was all de whitley show... now if only de other players had bother to show up...
Third... while we were on de backfoot against Mexico... we were de away team.. it was beenie second game in charge alone.. and we were at altitude (not Mex City but still)... and I still maintain we lorse dat game by de bounce of de ball.... we were unlucky.... Right before Mex first goal... if Yorke header goes in we 1-0 up with roughly 25 mins to play....
The fellas game mighta raise instead of losing concentration when allowing Mex to score... It would have been a classic underdog playing away victory...

yep i agree wit FF

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2005, 04:16:39 PM »
You really think we lost that Mexico game by the bounce of the ball???
Seriously???
If you think that then I really a can't get through with you.
Look at how man just shittin on Latapy now dred
sad sad sad
I wanna hear what Fihlo has to say about this. He's always come with an objective opinion even if I disagree with him.
Everybody can't think that we look just as good or better without Latapy as we do with him.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2005, 04:21:27 PM by Marcos »

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2005, 04:38:11 PM »
You really think we lost that Mexico game by the bounce of the ball???
Seriously???
If you think that then I really a can't get through with you.
sad sad sad
I wanna hear what Fihlo has to say about this. He's always come with an objective opinion even if I disagree with him.
Everybody can't think that we look just as good or better without Latapy as we do with him.

Nah nah nah me eh shitting on Latapy.... where in my post I say anything of de sort.... (Latapy was invisible in de first Bahrain game-FACT)

I post everything what I disagree with you on...

I said back then that we lorse by de bounce of de ball and I standing by it today... We was unlucky that Yorke header didnt go in.... instead them come and score first when we players lorse ah lil concentration....

But I eh no dunce... if we did get anything outta that game it would be hijack points.... the better team had won on de day!!
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

jusme

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2005, 04:40:20 PM »
In the second Bahrain game we looked terrible. Although we won, we should have completely dominated that side and scored at least 3 if not 4. To think that the team is better off without Latapy in the line-up is ludicrous.

Just curious, how would you say we looked for the first Bahrain game while Latas was on the field?  Or the away game against Costa Rica?

sad sad sad

nobody eh shittin on Latas.  the man is my favorite player of all time.  All I am saying is that we have to be careful how we utilize him at this point in his career.   It's still a team sport and the aim of the game is still to score more goals than you concede, and it is very conceivable that against certain opposition, especially the higher quality ones we will probably face in at least 2 of our 3 group games, his weaknesses could hurt us if he is not used correctly.

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2005, 04:44:04 PM »
I like how after one bad game (Bahrain) ppl ready to make the man warm the bench
Iz really shocking to me how fickle the Trini community is
after that Guatemala game ppl were singing his praises
Look what we have come to now

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2005, 04:50:57 PM »
well said Marcos and others, in the words of Sancho and Bunji re-benchin Latas, "yuh mad a wha!"

Latas as an established genius draws attention to himself when on de pitch, creating room for other creative midfielders (a la Whitley) to function and be effective.  At the end of the day Beenie is the coach and has the resume to decide on the 22 and starting 11, but IMHO, Latas and Whitley are needed as creative midfielders TOGETHER on the field of play, once he (Latas) can maintain his fitness, he will be mroe than ready to rumble wid de best of de best.....
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

jusme

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2005, 04:52:34 PM »
I am the biggest Whitley fan out here.
I have been singing his praises long before everyone jumped on his bandwagon (See: Whitley could be the X-factor posted months ago)
Having said that, I have seen all the games and can't conclude that he marshalls the middle like Latapy. No way, no how.
His touch and vision, while outstanding, aren't up to Latapy's today.

Of course there are things that Latas at 37 that Whitley can't do at 28.   It have tings Latas could do that Lampard, Gerrard, Joe Cole and Beckham can't do between them.   Latas is a genius.   However, the fact is when we was down against Mexico Whitley was the man who say he was going to take things into his own hands and created the goal.  and is whitley hustle that set up the 2nd goal for stern too. 
All I am saying is that Whitley is up to the task offensively, with a lil help from his friends Carlos, Dwight, Stern, Birchall, Spann etc,  even if he eh have that special Latas magic.  Not only that but you could reasonably count on him being able to do it for the full 90 minutes and help out more defensively.

I like how after one bad game (Bahrain) ppl ready to make the man warm the bench
Iz really shocking to me how fickle the Trini community is
after that Guatemala game ppl were singing his praises
Look what we have come to now

I not talking bout one bad game.  Fact is fact.  9 times outta 10 yuh read a Falkirk match report they does say his performance fade over the last half hour.   Occasionally it does say that he never quite got into the game and Falkirk loss.  that is to be expected.  the man is 37.  Falkirk have to live and die with him, we have the luxury of not having to make him the focal point of our team. 

Looking at our current team right now, Stern is not known for his high work rate, Yorke is known for his workrate but he is a step slow.  Dog is a real hero but he is also a step slow when it come to matching up with high level strikers.  Birchall might also prove to be a little on the slow side amongst higher level competition.  This world cup is going to be a serious step up in the quality and athleticism of the opposition (the best team we play recently was a good Mexico team that you have to admit was missing some of their best players).   We have to be very careful about putting the correct combination of players on the field, or else we will end up trying to compensate for too many players' weaknesses simultaneously.  All the skill and vision in the world wouldn't count for anything if we getting beat to every ball. 

Anyhow, we go agree to disagree.  at least I will.   I trust beenie more than anybody on the forum to make the decision.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2005, 07:38:50 PM by Tallman »

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2005, 05:11:09 PM »
There really isn't anything I can say about this nah. Y'all wanna leave Latas ooutta you starting 11, daz cool with me.
Iz man like allyuh daz say WI better without Lara. We beat Bangladesh without him and y'all feel we better without him
allyuh cah see past the tip of allyuh nose nah
« Last Edit: December 05, 2005, 05:20:08 PM by Marcos »

Offline Trini Simply Better

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2005, 04:00:02 AM »
Latapy is great and if put in a team with players of his calibre, you will see him as one of the top players in the world.  If he was in a team like Barcelona, he would shine very bright.

1]; } ?>