April 20, 2024, 01:51:28 AM

Author Topic: Kevin Austin left out in the cold.  (Read 2078 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Kevin Austin left out in the cold.
« on: December 05, 2005, 08:21:25 AM »
Kevin Austin left out in the cold.
By Phil Blanche (Western Mail).

As Trinidad and Tobago's World Cup heroes returned to their sun-kissed homeland and basked in the warm glow of a national holiday, Kevin Austin was wrapped up in chilly South Wales.
Which was pretty apt when you think of the Swansea City defender and how his international aspirations for the tiny Caribbean nation have been put on ice.
Austin has been out in the international cold since winning his solitary cap for Trinidad and Tobago in a World Cup qualifier in November 2000.
As Dennis Lawrence's play-off winner - which secured the island's place at their first-ever World Cup finals in Germany next summer - was replayed over and over again, the Soca Warriors became instant national heroes and celebrated like never before.
But Austin was back in Swansea dreaming of what might have been and still clinging on to the faint hope he could be testing himself against the likes of Ronaldo, Rooney and Ronaldinho this summer.
"If you'd told me a year or so ago that Trinidad and Tobago would qualify for the World Cup I wouldn't have believed you," admitted the 32-year-old Hackney-born defender, who qualifies for the country 51st in the Fifa rankings through his Trinidadian mother.
"It's a small country and they're not renowned for being a football nation, even though football's been big over there for the last 10 to 15 years. The resources are not great and it's hard to find players, so to qualify for the World Cup is a tremendous achievement."
Guided by the former Real Madrid manager Leo Beenhaker, Trinidad and Tobago progressed to the final stage of the North and Central America and Caribbean section.
Familiar names such as Dwight Yorke, Stern John and Shaka Hislop form the core of the side and fourth place behind the United States, Mexico and Costa Rica was enough to secure a two-legged play-off with Bahrain.
Lawrence's headed goal after a 1-1 home draw was enough for Trinidad and Tobago to become the fourth Caribbean nation to qualify for the World Cup finals.
"The boys have done well right through the qualifying round and up to the Bahrain play-off game," said Austin. "Everyone's ecstatic about it and the atmosphere over there is unbelievable.
"But I think they can do well in Germany. They've got good players and a settled side. I'm sure they can rise to the occasion and do well.
"People might think they're just going there to make up the numbers, but I don't think they will."
But will Austin be there in Germany with his countrymen? The odds would seem stacked against the personable Londoner, but his experience and versatility might yet prove useful in a tournament situation.
"I can honestly say I've not given it much thought," said Austin, who made his only appearance in a 1-0 home victory over Panama in a 2002 World Cup qualifier.
"It's five years since I've played and the longer the time goes on you just learn to live with it.
"The boys have done all the hard work and deserve their chance. As a pro footballer the World Cup is the ultimate, but I suppose it would be an injustice now to come in after the boys have done so well.
"Of course, I wouldn't say no if they asked me, but I haven't pushed the matter of trying to get to the World Cup.
"I can't do that. I've got no grounds because I haven't been involved and the only way I can look at it is that if I'm good enough they'll pick me."
Even so, is Austin surprised he continues to be overlooked while play-off hero Lawrence plies his trade at a lower level with League Two Wrexham?
"Not really," he said. "Dennis has been playing international football for many years now and, no matter what level he's playing at, he's always done well for Trinidad. "Most of my family live on that island but the only thing I concentrate on is doing well for Swansea. Whatever happens after that is a bonus."
« Last Edit: December 05, 2005, 09:06:55 AM by Flex »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Kevin Austin left out in the cold
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 09:02:34 AM »
Great post Tallman, Zamora and J. Samuel should read this one....
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
Re: Kevin Austin left out in the cold.
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 09:33:57 AM »
Somebody need to tell him swallow his pride, call the TTFF and see if he can come into camp and try out...doh wait for them to call you.

Offline Teflon Don

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 09:41:04 AM »
i think he should be given a second look...beenieman wasnt the coach when he played and may find him usefull for the tournament.....
someone needs to get on to kevin and tell him to call the ttff

TALLMAN anybody remembers what his performance was like in the game he played???

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005, 09:41:31 AM »
Yeah he should make a call. By the way how good is he?
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2005, 09:45:49 AM »
TALLMAN anybody remembers what his performance was like in the game he played???

Unfortunately, dis was a game where he did not even have tuh make ah tackle, so de jury is till out.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2005, 09:48:16 AM »
His first game for T&T he was just recovering from a long injury and didn't look to fast at times with the ball and chasing opponents down, but you could tell he could play just by the way he was passing and touching the ball, like Birchall, simple and one touch. His passing was good and he loves ro overlap. He scored for T&T vs Millwall and has greatly improve since he joined Swamsea City. I say give him a trial, we have nothing to lose, he's committed, experienced and left footed, we not sure to get Samuel and Austin might come in handy.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2005, 02:18:17 PM »
yea man he certainly seems to deserve it
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2005, 02:48:57 PM »
too late too late shall be the cry
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2005, 05:18:15 PM »
Guys we are short of left footed players , so Leo should give him a look.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2005, 05:44:11 PM »
"If you'd told me a year or so ago that Trinidad and Tobago would qualify for the World Cup I wouldn't have believed you," admitted the 32-year-old Hackney-born defender, who qualifies for the country 51st in the Fifa rankings through his Trinidadian mother.
"It's a small country and they're not renowned for being a football nation, even though football's been big over there for the last 10 to 15 years. The resources are not great and it's hard to find players, so to qualify for the World Cup is a tremendous achievement."

No disrespeck to Kevin Austin...but he eh know he ass from he elbow where T&T football concerned.

Football only big in the last 10 to 15 years?  Man.....he shoulda jes keep he blasted mout shut.  Based on dat comment alone, he ass should stay right dey in "chilly South Wales".

By de way...if it chilly in South Wales...wha de ass de temperature mus be like in flikkin North Wales?  Lawd!!!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2005, 07:41:13 PM by Tallman »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

truetrini

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2005, 05:57:51 PM »

No disrespeck to Kevin Austin...but he eh know he ass from he elbow where T&T football concerned.

Football only big in the last 10 to 15 years?  Man.....he shoulda jes keep he blasted mout shut.  Based on dat comment alone, he ass should stay right dey in "chilly South Wales".

By de way...if it chilly in South Wales...wha de ass de temperature mus be like in flikkin North Wales?  Lawd!!!

hahahaha  Jack also said we wernt going to make it and we had better start making preps for 2010....!\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
« Last Edit: December 05, 2005, 07:41:30 PM by Tallman »

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2005, 05:58:48 PM »
hahahaha  Jack also said we wernt going to make it and we had better start making preps for 2010....!\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Which Jack?
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

truetrini

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2005, 05:59:21 PM »

Which Jack?
de ripper Warner

1]; } ?>