April 25, 2024, 04:24:41 PM

Author Topic: Bring back Ansil Elcock  (Read 8636 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bring back Ansil Elcock
« on: August 25, 2005, 07:17:25 AM »
Bring back Ansil Elcock
By Walter Alibey (Trinidad Newsday)

Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF) president Oliver Camps has welcomed the return of midfielder Russell Latapy back into the national football team, but feels other players must lift their games if we are to qualify for the 2006 World Cup in Germany.

And ex-national footballer, coach, now administrator Alvin Corneal says while he agrees Latapy’s recall to the national team was a fairly easy decision, consideration must also be given to defender Ansil Elcock.

Camps pointed out that with Latapy, who has been dubbed "The Little Magician" back into the fold, it will increase our chances of qualification.

He said, "it is quite clear we have been experiencing problems in the midfield and the combination of ‘Latas’ and Dwight Yorke in the middle may be a huge threat to the opposing teams."

Trinidad and Tobago have struggled to score goals in previous matches and Camps is blaming this on the absence of a creative midfielder for such a statistic. According to Camps, "the reason Yorke and Stern John are not scoring is because they are not getting the service/passes from the midfielders."

He feels Latas will fit in perfectly and solve this problem in the Trinidad and Tobago team.

But he was quick to point out that although Latapy may be back, it would make no sense if the other players do not pull their weight.

He said Latapy has played with Yorke for quite a while and it would be easier for the duo to link up when he returns.

Meanwhile, Corneal expressed the view that with the performances of the midfielders in recent matches, he assumed that Latapy was taken in because of the need for points in the remaining matches.

He said Latapy will definitely bring something to the table and it will not be difficult because of the fact that he has been playing in Scotland.

He made it clear, however, that he was unsure of how much he (Latapy) can give at this level. He told Newsday he was unsure of the terms and conditions of Latapy’s selection, but he could only assume that it will be for the short term.

Corneal who is a member on the FIFA Technical Committee feels Elcock should also be given a recall to the national team.

He said the defenders are not playing too well and the former Columbus Crew man can well strengthen the unit. He noted however that his selection should also be for a short term, but it is important we get the points needed for us to go to the world cup.

Latapy, who is considered as one of the better local footballers ever to grace the Trinidad and Tobago football uniform, answered the call for his return following persistent pleas by Concacaf president and TTFF Special Advisor Jack Warner, as well as his former teammate and good friend Dwight Yorke.

Camps told Newsday he felt had Latapy been back into the team earlier, the Warriors may not have been in the position they are in now.

Trinidad and Tobago are now second from bottom on the standings with four points from some six matches thus far.

Meanwhile, Director of Development at CONCACAF Richard Braithwaite, has expressed the view that the return of Latapy is a good one since the team is lacking a touch of class in the midfield. He noted that one of the problems in the team is the lack of confidence among the players, which is crucial if we want to possess the ball.

Braithwaite feels that Yorke cannot only play in midfield, but added that his presence in the team is very important. It is one which gives players a boost, he said.

He added that Latapy’s presence will add even more confidence among the players and therefore he expects a solid victory over the Guatemalans next week.

He feels that both Yorke and Latapy will put TT right back into the picture.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
Re: Bring back Ansil Elcock
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 07:44:37 AM »
Im sorry but I thought that was going to be an aritcle about bringing back Elcock, guess I misunderstood the title. ???

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005, 07:58:03 AM »
Im sorry but I thought that was going to be an aritcle about bringing back Elcock, guess I misunderstood the title. ???

Corneal calling for Elcock to come back.
Anyone see Ancil in action in the PFL can back up or counter that statement?

And what position he playing.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bring back de ole time days
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005, 07:59:24 AM »
I hope dis WCQ campaign is de last one dat is devoid of planning. I hope Lincoln Phillips and his associates get de necessary funding and support to help develop football in dis nation. I really tired :frustrated: of dis "bring back" mentality . Bring back Yorke, bring back Latas, bring back Nakhid, bring back Rougier, bring back Wise, bring back Dwarika, bring back Nixon, bring back Stokely Mason, now bring back Elcock. Whether those calls are justified or not, it illustrates de fact dat we have remained stagnant over de years. If we always having tuh be looking back, den either we current crop of players lame no ass, or we have and continue to do a poor job of spotting, developing and nurturing our talent. While our competitors are fielding talent fuh de future, we constantly recycling. No wonder when Bertille came back in charge, he immediately bring back men from yesteryear. Me eh hearing de US saying bring back Tab Ramos, bring back Marcelo Balboa, bring back Cobi Jones etc. Mexico eh saying bring back Luis Fernandez, bring back Carlos Hermosillo. We have tuh wait fuh foreign clubs tuh discover our players' potential. We have tuh wait for players tuh strike in order tuh discover new players. We too blasted reactive and not proactive. Come nah man, leh we move forward.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2005, 08:05:44 AM »

Agreed.
I was just looking at the 2001 squad and it starting to look too similar to the current one if u putting Elcock in there.

What about those young players Sam always talking about like Josh Johnson....why they not at least getting called to training?
We hardly have any players under 23 being kept around the squad.
True is crunch time now but are they not worthy of at least getting a chance to fight for a spot before the team gets trimmed to 18?

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2005, 08:13:25 AM »
Tallest, I understand yuh frustration but the next two games will drive where Trinidad & Tobago football will go over the next 10 years.  Seeing us do well next month and God-willing qualify for the World Cup will be a tremendous lift to our country and our game.  As we have seen over the campaign, these local youth men not ready.  They are just not ready.  If Theobald and Whitley could be tearing up in the PFL and barely making the National seletion starting 11, how we could realistically expect younger players from the same league to contribute?

This is no joke here.  This next month is a crossroads in Trinidad football.  If we have older, more experienced warriors that could life us in the short term, bring them.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Bring back de ole time days
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2005, 08:33:37 AM »
I hope dis WCQ campaign is de last one dat is devoid of planning. I hope Lincoln Phillips and his associates get de necessary funding and support to help develop football in dis nation. I really tired :frustrated: of dis "bring back" mentality . Bring back Yorke, bring back Latas, bring back Nakhid, bring back Rougier, bring back Wise, bring back Dwarika, bring back Nixon, bring back Stokely Mason, now bring back Elcock. Whether those calls are justified or not, it illustrates de fact dat we have remained stagnant over de years. If we always having tuh be looking back, den either we current crop of players lame no ass, or we have and continue to do a poor job of spotting, developing and nurturing our talent. While our competitors are fielding talent fuh de future, we constantly recycling. No wonder when Bertille came back in charge, he immediately bring back men from yesteryear. Me eh hearing de US saying bring back Tab Ramos, bring back Marcelo Balboa, bring back Cobi Jones etc. Mexico eh saying bring back Luis Fernandez, bring back Carlos Hermosillo. We have tuh wait fuh foreign clubs tuh discover our players' potential. We have tuh wait for players tuh strike in order tuh discover new players. We too blasted reactive and not proactive. Come nah man, leh we move forward.
Good work Tallman,here goes another exellent post,can't these posts be made public?what's good about these pots is that they make so much sense,i also know i'm not alone when there are ppl that share the same thoughts as i do.

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2005, 09:49:03 AM »
Well, just publish a monthly news letter......with one main story...and a combination of good posts from the previous month.  I'm sure flex have a big big...data bank...and TTFA and Gaurdian and Express could be on it......Then the site could be a good source of ideas for the TT media....
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2005, 10:02:03 AM »
Well, just publish a monthly news letter......with one main story...and a combination of good posts from the previous month.  I'm sure flex have a big big...data bank...and TTFA and Gaurdian and Express could be on it......Then the site could be a good source of ideas for the TT media....
This should be seriously looked into,you guys are incredible,anywhere else in the world it would be done,why for once can't we be starters than followers.

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2005, 10:11:10 AM »
Well said Tallman- We always looking in the rear view mirror. I heard a reportabout Modern day Footballand Bruce Arena said that it is youth with speed and running into space( Intelligence ) who will make it in todays Football world.

Case in point- The USA kill us with speed, our defence is too slow and our forwards are not shooting to goal

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2005, 11:56:28 AM »
Corneal know everything eh, yuh swear he is some big time coach.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2005, 12:05:12 PM »
wait nah is dis de same Elcock who was helpin the US U-20 assistant coach scout we u-20 team  before we play dem fuh de qualifiers >:( >:(
look...leh Elcock haul he arse yes... dat get no respect....

The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

jusme

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2005, 12:55:50 PM »
we are not the only people that like to look back.  Brazil brought back Romario, Italy bring back Baggio more than once, and if I am not mistaken Matthaeus play for Germany into his late 30s and for Bayern Munich into his early 40s.  Even Maradona get brought back a few times.  And now Portugal bringing back Figo, and he and Yorke play in the same youth world championships in '91.

It is natural for fans and administration to want to have their best players on the field, it doh have anything backward about that. 

I will probably be attacked for saying this but an objective look at the age distribution of our squad will probably prove to line up with that of most international teams.  Our squad for the last qualifier had Atiba(28), Whitley(28), Birchall(21), Spann(24), Samuel(24), Jones(21), Sealy(24), Wolfe, Sancho(28), Theobald(23) all aged 28 or under, with some of them in their early 20s.  That's in addition to Carlos Edwards(26) and Hector Sam(27) and Rahim(27) who are also in the player pool. 

So yeah we call back Yorke and Latas, they are still our best and consequently we will look to them for inspiration but it's not as if we sending out a whole geriatic squad.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 01:13:13 PM by jusme »

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2005, 01:09:50 PM »
i agree with tallman comments. trini football continually grasps for the glories of the past in an attempt to postpone the inevitables i.e. mediorcrity due to poor infrastructure from the youth level up. perhaps they should take a cue from holland's current strategy of using a young team from the WCQ stage.

that said, please note that greece won euro 2004 with a squad that consisted of mainly over 30 starters.

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2005, 02:27:45 PM »
wait nah is dis de same Elcock who was helpin the US U-20 assistant coach scout we u-20 team  before we play dem fuh de qualifiers >:( >:(

futbalfan.. you serious about that man.. if that is true, he can reall haul he backside!!!
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Cowen

• Hero Warrior
  • Conquer without risk is to triumph without Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2005, 04:58:35 PM »

that is the same man. Patriot and Andre stop meh from hitting him a bottle ...now they calling for the man to come back. Haul he ass.
Attended Mad Mad University
Studied Madology
Obtained a Mad Mad Degree

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2005, 05:16:24 PM »
 While all is not lost as yet, and we are lingering on the cusp of hope for Germany,l it's the same old refrain every WQC:

Everytime  it's WCQ we scrambling
Everytime we scambling
somebody tell them tuh start planning 2010

"My bonnie lies over the ocean;
my bonnie lies over the sea;
 my bonnie  plays in the PFL
so bring back my bonnie to me 
bring back oh bring back
 bring back my bonnie to me to me"

Time tuh change the tune!!!!!! nuff back in time ; What, the team going retro? People talking about THE PLAN? well it appears that, the PLAN was to resurrect the STRIKE SQUAD!!!! if the all calls continue soon we'll have them all back.

Are we hinging our success on fading stars who are in the twilight of thier careers? If they are better than what we presently have then, what does all this convey?
A. we had no plan to begin with
B. the plan we had backfire in we face
C. We desparate
D. Somebody eh doing dey job
E. We hit a panic button
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 08:19:10 PM by AlbertaTrini »

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2005, 05:47:12 PM »
Everybody talkin bout how de team goin retro and I understand and to a certain extent agree.

However....some goin overboard wit de ting.

When Cameroon did bring back 40 sumting year old Roger Milla it did wuk fuh dem.

Breitner & Mattheus did play fuh Germany till dem was ole man...certainly older dan Latas & Yorke

Argentina bring back Maradona in 94 even doh by den he was pretty much past he prime.  He had to resort to usin "cocktail of drugs" to be MARADONA and he get ketch.

Italy did keep Zoff till he 40's.  People was callin fuh Baggio las WC

Columbia was playin Valderrama at 38

Closer to home, Panama jes bring back de Dely Valdes brothers and VAPS...dem mek Gold Cup Final.

Yes....is a young man's game fuh de most part but yuh cyah teach experience.

Now de difference is.....ALL of dese players were superior footballers.  Dey superior abilities and experience could offset some of the deficiences of lack of speed and fitness of dey youth.

In addition....dem countries ALL have way more player resources dan we do yet dem still callin back dem legends, so who is we?

But man callin fuh Evans Wise, Rougier, & Elcock among others?  No disrespeck to dem fellas but what part of superior footballers dem fellas was in dey PRIME?  When dem was ever we LEGENDS unless yuh countin Ancil as a legend fuh brukkin a Mexican foot?

Like alllyuh jes want sumting to talk about without givin it any thought.  And de ting is....fuh a allegedly big time football expert like Alvin Corneal to actually come out in public and call fuh a Ancil Elcock AT DIS TIME showin de level of dotishness dat takin place. 

And dem fellas claim to have T&T football best interests at heart.

STEUPES!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 05:51:54 PM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2005, 05:55:48 PM »
Everybody talkin bout how de team goin retro and I understand and to a certain extent agree.

However....some goin overboard wit de ting.

When Cameroon did bring back 40 sumting year old Roger Milla it did wuk fuh dem.

Breitner & Mattheus did play fuh Germany till dem was ole man...certainly older dan Latas & Yorke

Argentina bring back Maradona in 94 even doh by den he was pretty much past he prime.  He had to resort to usin "cocktail of drugs" to be MARADONA and he get ketch.

Italy did keep Zoff till he 40's.  People was callin fuh Baggio las WC

Columbia was playin Valderrama at 38

Closer to home, Panama jes bring back de Dely Valdes brothers and VAPS...dem mek Gold Cup Final.

Yes....is a young man's game fuh de most part but yuh cyah teach experience.

Now de difference is.....ALL of dese players were superior footballers.  Dey superior abilities and experience could offset some of the deficiences of lack of speed and fitness of dey youth.

In addition....dem countries ALL have way more player resources dan we do yet dem still callin back dem legends, so who is we?

But man callin fuh Evans Wise, Rougier, & Elcock among others?  No disrespeck to dem fellas but what part of superior footballers dem fellas was in dey PRIME?  When dem was ever we LEGENDS unless yuh countin Ancil as a legend fuh brukkin a Mexican foot?

Like alllyuh jes want sumting to talk about without givin it any thought.  And de ting is....fuh a allegedly big time football expert like Alvin Corneal to actually come out in public and call fuh a Ancil Elcock AT DIS TIME showin de level of dotishness dat takin place. 

And dem fellas claim to have T&T football best interests at heart.

STEUPES!

Lard like dem posters who calling for fete match players from Panama and Guatemala :D :D hahahhahahhah nuff said lets move on
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2005, 06:50:46 PM »

Like nobody see Elcock in action in PFL or wha?
Dat might be a bad sign that he eh making a note.

All I remember is an interview he had with Total Football with Look Loy I think where he was saying he want to be back in the National Team.

I just want to know what Corneal basing his call on....it have to be on how Elcock playing (even in farse if he have another motive)

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2005, 06:59:52 PM »
Didn't Elcock get a brief call back last year under BSC where the general opinion was that he was too slow.

Elcock is not the type of player to get better with age because he was an energy man. I find it was an admirable style of play but unless he change to a more cerebral kind of game he cannot play that run, hustle and wild tackle ball with them youths.

THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2005, 10:58:11 PM »
ah dont believe calling back players at this stage is bad because it is very important we win the next couple of games. tallman...fully understand yuh grief...we need ah youth structure in trinidad football...not intercol...something before and after intercol. as someone said earlier...yuh cant teach experience and its experience thats going to carry us to the world cup. the youths should play in tournaments like the caribbean cup and even the gold cup, but not in ah WCQ that can put our country into the tournament.
football...the one true life experience!!!

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2005, 05:43:57 AM »

Like nobody see Elcock in action in PFL or wha?
Dat might be a bad sign that he eh making a note.

All I remember is an interview he had with Total Football with Look Loy I think where he was saying he want to be back in the National Team.

I just want to know what Corneal basing his call on....it have to be on how Elcock playing (even in farse if he have another motive)

Elcock is not playing in de PFL.  De last ting i hear bout elcock is that he was released by Jabloteh by Fenwick.  Fenwick say he was surplus to requirements and didnt tink that he could add value to the team he was trying to build.  Right now i think that he is one of de assistants to de Jabloteh's under20 team. 

Dat ting about him in de under20 match dat cowen and futbolfan refering to is true.  Me cowen and patriot was right behind de man.  I put what he was doin in meh match report.
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2005, 07:48:33 AM »
Dat scouting ting is Elcock trying to move his coaching career along even if scouting against your own country is kinda dumb.

Jus wondering if anyone advised him against it....who knows, maybe Corneal tell him is a good opportunity.

How de ass he calling back for a man that get drop from Jabloteh   ???

Sometime is best to play deaf.

Offline Benjie

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2005, 10:51:27 AM »
Tallman,

D only problem with your statement is that all the players from Trinidad you mentioned are playing either at the same level as or higher than those selected for the team and performing at a high level. The other foreign players have retired. if it was a case of them saying bring back Dexter Francis or Brian Williams or Clayton Morris then I would agree with you unfortunately I have to say your statements are misspoken.

truetrini

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2005, 11:35:18 AM »
I say bring back Brass-O-Rama

Offline Marky NYC

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Ansil ElCock World Cup 2006 ???
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2005, 11:20:35 AM »
Anyone know if Ansil Elcock will be part of the team for 2006 World Cup, or will he even be trying out for the team.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
Re: Ansil ElCock World Cup 2006 ???
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2005, 11:23:28 AM »
nope no sweat fuh he
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

truetrini

Re: Ansil ElCock World Cup 2006 ???
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2005, 11:28:38 AM »