April 23, 2024, 11:50:46 PM

Author Topic: Drug News Thread  (Read 88419 times)

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
Drug News Thread
« on: December 06, 2005, 06:51:14 AM »
How about i decide to read the express online to day and see a picture of my cousin. She get locked upfor drugs?????

What de hell thewy doing I have a mind to come there ad whip her tail. Some body get me she number

No bail for drug accused

Richard Charan rcharan@trinidadexpress.com

Tuesday, December 6th 2005

Hairdresser Abigail Friday-Teller (right) leaves the San Fernando Magistrates' Court yesterday after being denied bail on the charge of cocaine trafficking.

HAIRDRESSER Abigale Friday-Teller was denied bail yesterday on the charge of having 1.2 kilogrammes of cocaine with the intention of trafficking the drug.

The drug which was sealed in 107 one-inch long capsules was found in a cereal box inside a duffel bag.

Friday-Teller, 36, appeared before San Fernando Second Court Magistrate Ameena Deonarinesingh.

With her hair dyed red and wearing a sweatsuit, Friday-Teller, of Corinth Village, San Fernando, was brought in handcuffs to the court.

She was represented by attorney Ian Gray.

Deonarinesingh read the charge to Friday-Teller, explaining that the prosecution intended to pursue the case indictably, which meant that she would face a High Court judge and jury if a prima facie case was made out against her.

The cocaine exhibit was displayed in court before, and prosecutor Sgt Joey Samaroo said police had also seized Friday-Teller's passport and a frosted flakes cereal box which formed part of the case against her.

Samaroo said that the woman, who was arrested at 4.30 a.m. on Sunday had not been traced by police.

The magistrate said it was reasonable to grant the State time to conduct the criminal background check and the police were given 24 hours.

Friday-Teller, who operates a hair salon from her home, was remanded in custody to reappear in court today when bail will be considered.

10 to 1 is murder[/size]
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 12:50:20 PM by Flex »
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline cm103

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Trinidad Express what De???
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 07:41:21 PM »
Boy dat sour is yuh family but d drugs scene real killing d country now....need some stiffer penalties for dem running d powder.

Hard luck it so close to home fuh yuh

Offline *~*steph*~*

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 08:11:39 PM »
hard luck dey fadda.but all ah dat in life.dont worry jus stay with ur family as one .pCe :)
NaPaRiMa FoR lYfE !!bUn DeM pReZ mEn

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 01:53:40 AM »
yuh do de crime yuh do de time
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline Lil Jodie P

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 08:12:39 AM »

well i guess she know what she was getting herself into...so she really have nobody to blame. hard luck tho Friday...sorry too hear that its your cousin.
FOREVER AND ALWAYS "Little Jodie P" :)

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2005, 09:05:39 AM »
easy money is a temptation.

tempation is a bitch.

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2005, 09:08:16 AM »
 Is South American drugs flooding our country

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2005, 12:01:01 AM »
and ya know dey thing about this is...dey does only find dey 'small' fry and not the 'big' fish

this is never change

Offline trinidad badboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2005, 10:53:26 PM »

yeah man thats exactly how it is. no matter who u is....

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Drugs Thread
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 11:18:08 PM »
BBC

Australia's High Court has overturned the convictions of two alleged drug traffickers, because the judge in their original trial repeatedly fell asleep.

The court heard that the judge slept for up to 20 minutes at a time and sometimes snored, distracting the jury.

At the end of the 2004 trial, Rafael Cesan and Ruben Mas Rivadavia were convicted of importing ecstasy, but now face a retrial.

Judge Ian Dodd has since been diagnosed with a condition known as sleep apnoea.

"Where the judge is noticeably and repeatedly asleep or inattentive during the trial, there can be a miscarriage of justice," said Chief Justice Robert French.

The High Court heard that members of the jury were visibly distracted and sometimes amused, while court officials resorted to dropping documents loudly in a bid to wake the napping judge.

The 11 to 13-year sentences given to the two men have been cancelled, along with their convictions.

It would be interesting to see in the retrial if these 2 guys get shorter sentences... ;D
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline ChipChipSilver

• 'Let the Good Times Roll'
  • Sr. Warrior
  • Do you feel like working today?
    • View Profile
Drugs Thread
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2008, 09:38:58 PM »
No more Guyana hot sauce   Cocaine in Toronto

Big drug bust nets $40M in cocaine

Map: GTA homicides Crime Stoppers Dec 23, 2008 03:33 PM
Adrian Morrow
Staff reporter

Police have seized $40 million worth of cocaine and arrested one suspect in one of the largest busts in Ontario history.

The cocaine was smuggled inside boxes of hot sauce on a boat from Guyana and destined for an Etobicoke food importer. The drug was inserted into the cardboard dividers inside the boxes, police said today.

"Cocaine is everyone's enemy," Durham Chief Mike Ewles told reporters when he announced the bust. "This arrest will have an impact on the availability of the drug in the GTA."

Border guards uncovered the cocaine during an inspection of a freighter arriving in St. John, N.B. on Dec. 8. Agents found the cocaine in 551 of the 1,250 boxes of sauce on board.

In total, they found 276 kilograms of cocaine which, when cut and resold by street-level drug dealers, could amount to as much as 400 kilograms of the drug.

They removed most of the cocaine, but allowed 2 kilograms to be delivered to Caribbean International Food Distributors in Etobicoke. When the boxes were loaded into a storage facility on Dec. 19, a male suspect was arrested.

"We believe the drugs we seized were destined for Durham Region and other communities in the Golden Horseshoe," Inspector Tom Cameron of the Durham Regional Police said at a press conference.

The bust is the first big break for police involved in Project Falcon, an investigation started in November 2007 by Durham police with the goal of identifying the source of drugs being sold in the region.

The investigation helped police first identify the man who was ultimately arrested in the bust.

The cocaine has been tested by Health Canada and found to be 80 per cent pure, Cameron said. He said the cocaine bust is the largest in Durham Region and might also be the biggest ever in Ontario.

Mahendrapaul Doodnauth, 45, of Toronto, is charged with importing cocaine, conspiracy to import cocaine and possession of cocaine for the purpose of trafficking.

He was scheduled to appear in court today.

With files from Jeff Mitchell

« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 11:17:07 AM by Flex »
In Everything, Give Thanks

AirMan

Prison Drug Trafficking: $25,000 fine
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 02:27:10 PM »
Drug trafficking now punishable in prisons; $25,000 fine
Wednesday 17th March, 2010

A bill to punish trafficking inside the prisons was passed on Tuesday night in the Senate with the support of the Opposition. For prisons officers and others caught trafficking, the fine will now be twenty five thousand dollars.

The bill is meant to improve the ability of the Prisons Service to keep cell phones, drugs and guns out of the prisons.

All of the Opposition and Independent Senators who were in the Parliament Chamber when the bill was called to a vote last night supported the measure. Read the rest http://ctntworld.com/LocalArticles.aspx?id=19104

AirMan

Re: Prison Drug Trafficking: $25,000 fine
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 09:40:09 PM »
Interesting read here..Senator Greaves slams Govt on prison horrors..http://guardian.co.tt/news/politics/2010/03/17/new-unc-senator-slams-govt-prison-horrors

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/a7Qz7B5iZ-I" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/a7Qz7B5iZ-I</a>

AirMan

Re: Prison Drug Trafficking: $25,000 fine
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2010, 10:12:39 AM »
Prisoner hangs himself in cell
Friday 19th March, 2010

Homicide detectives are investigating the death of a 46-year-old prisoner who was found hanging in his cell early this morning at the Sangre Grande Police Station.

Investigators told C News that Lester Lucien from Riley Street, Sangre Grande was arrested by police for disorderly behaviour and the possession of cocaine near his home close to one this morning. Read the rest http://www.ctntworld.com/LocalArticles.aspx?id=19170

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Strip search leads to cocaine
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2010, 12:32:52 AM »
Strip search leads to cocaine
Published: 28 Aug 2010

Chaguanas Municipal police searched a woman yesterday and found ten grammes of cocaine hidden in her rectum. The woman was held around 3 pm, after PCs Vilafana, James, Ramdahal and WPC James got a tip-off. The 20-year-old woman, of Chaguanas, was standing at the Chaguanas/Couva maxi-taxi stand when the officers approached her.

According to reports, the policewoman told the suspect of their suspicion and made her strip. Upon searching her, the officer found a black plastic bag, containing the cocaine. The woman and the exhibits were taken to the Chaguanas Police Station.

She is expected to appear before a Chaguanas magistrate on Monday, charged with possession of cocaine for the purpose of trafficking. The officers, who were conducting an exercise headed by Insp Lewis, also issued tickets for various traffic offences, including breach of traffic lights and illegal overtaking.
Ah say it, how ah see it

truetrini

Drug trafficker water bottle....!
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2010, 12:01:26 PM »

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Drug trafficker water bottle....!
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2010, 02:46:56 PM »
nuttin really new there..have nuff friends who have those in coke, sprite, even bug spray cans..
Go in any good smoke shop in NY or Toronto and they have them for sale.
some of them really amazing
Back in Trini...

truetrini

Civil Rights, Judicial Bias Surround Texas Drug Case
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2010, 12:31:19 AM »
by Wade Goodwyn

November 23, 2010
November 23, 2010 A legal drama has been playing out for almost three years in the Texas town of Clarksville of Red River County.

During that time, two black brothers have seen their lives turned upside down, and a white judge was recused from the case after allegations of judicial bias and criticism for pushing a drug case that just about everyone urged him to drop.

Enlarge
Dreanna Belden/UNT Libraries
A large statue of a Confederate soldier, Col. John C. Burks, stands in the town square of Clarksville, Texas, where brothers Vergil and Mark Richardson grew up.

Clarksville was one of the first places settled in the state of Texas. After 190 years since its founding, the town of 3,200 retains a slightly dilapidated Southern charm.

In the town square stands a large statue of a Confederate soldier, Col. John C. Burks. What's strange is that the statue is not facing east toward Murfreesboro, Tenn., where Burks and many other locals lost their lives charging a Union battery. Nor is it facing south in honor of Burks' beloved Confederacy.

The Confederate colonel faces northwest, as if looking toward Idaho. But the way Vergil Richardson sees it, the statue is actually keeping an eye on the town's black neighborhood.

Richardson grew up in Clarksville. He led the local high school's basketball team to two state championship games and eventually came back to coach the team. He says that since the days of Reconstruction, the Confederate officer has been sending a quiet message from Clarksville's white community to its black community.

"The message is whatever you do I'm watching and they are," Richardson says.

'Cops Everywhere'

Three blocks south from Clarksville's town square on South Columbia Street is Richardson's two-bedroom house. As Thanksgiving approached in 2007, six members of the Richardson family, including two brothers — Vergil, now 40, and Mark, 38 — had gathered to celebrate. They did not know it, but the Richardsons were being watched — not by Col. Burks but by Clarksville law enforcement.

Reporter's Notebook
The Sidewalks Of Clarksville, Texas
NPR's Wade Goodwyn reflects on an interview with the Richardson brothers on the sidewalk behind their former high school in Clarksville, Texas, and the lasting legacy of racial tension in East Texas.

As 10:30 p.m. approached, a few family members were playing dominoes and watching TV, while others had already gone to bed. Suddenly, the police burst through the door without knocking.

"They [were] screaming, yelling, telling [us to] get on the floor, cursing us out," Vergil says.

Courtesy of Lesher & Associates
Mark Richardson sits on the steps of a courthouse in Texas. Richardson and his brother Vergil were charged in a 2007 drug case and have since filed a civil rights lawsuit against the local district attorney, sheriff and police chief.
The high school coach had never been in trouble, hadn't even had a traffic ticket.

"I was very scared, didn't know what to do. I looked up because I know some of them. The prosecutor, he was there with a gun in his hand," Vergil recalls.

Meanwhile, Vergil's brother Mark was sitting in a car outside the house talking to a friend.

"And I looked [and said], 'Oh my God! Look, it's cops everywhere!' And they did not see us. And I was like, 'We better get out.' She was like, 'No, let's stay in here,' " Mark says.

Mark and his friend did get out of the car and were immediately handcuffed. He says law enforcement officers screamed at his friend as she stood there bewildered. "You know where the drugs are! We're going to put you up under the jailhouse," Mark recalls the officers yelling at his friend.

The Sale

Earlier in the day, 25-year-old Kevin Calloway, Vergil and Mark's half-brother, had sold a bag of marijuana to a police informant. Calloway was a student at nearby Paris Junior College, and Vergil was letting him stay in his Clarksville house. As Vergil stood handcuffed in the kitchen, the sheriff explained the situation.

"[The sheriff] said, '[Calloway's] been selling drugs out of your house.' And I said, 'Well, if you [had] told me that, I would have kicked him out,' " Vergil recounts.

Vergil asked to see the search warrant. The question seemed to take the sheriff by surprise.

Bias On The Bench

Courtesy of Bowie County Website/co.bowie.tx.us
Judge John Miller of the 102nd District Court, Texas

"Every turn has suggested that [Judge Miller] refuses to consider [their innocence] a possibility." — Clyde Lee, an attorney for the Richardsons

Read This And Other Excerpts of Judge John Miller's recusal hearing.

"He said, 'Yeah, [I'm going] to let you see it.' And I asked him again, you know, right after that, and he said, '[I'm going] to let you see it.' And I said, 'Well, OK. Please let me see it,' " Vergil says.

According to Vergil, the sheriff finally pulled out of his front pocket a white piece of paper about the size of a receipt, flashed it in his direction and quickly stuffed it back in his pocket. He then yelled at the officers, "Get these guys out of here!"

In a police interrogation room a few hours later, Kevin Calloway confessed to the sheriff that he kept a stash of marijuana, cocaine and methamphetamine locked in the garden shed in the backyard. There was just one key to the lock, and Calloway kept it in his pocket.

On the interrogation room videotape, Calloway sits, elbows on his knees, dejectedly looking at the floor. The sheriff asks him again and again, "Did the others know what you were doing?" Calloway says eight different times during the interview that the drugs belonged to him, and his brothers did not know he was dealing.

Hiring Lawyers

Despite Calloway's confession, the other five members of the Richardson family present that night were charged with manufacture of a controlled substance, intent to distribute and organized crime. They all faced life in prison and suffered the consequence of being suspected drug dealers.

High school head basketball coach Vergil Richardson was fired immediately. Although the family was stunned, the Richardsons were not penniless. They hired well-known East Texas trial attorney Mark Lesher, whose first order of business was to get District Attorney Val Varley off the case. Varley was with the police when they broke down the door.

"Not only is he dressed up — he's got a flak jacket on and an assault rifle. He's part of the raid," Lesher says.

Val Varley declined to speak to NPR about the case. But his decision to participate in the raid ended up having far-reaching consequences. By making himself a witness to the arrests and the gathering of evidence, Varley eventually had to step aside from prosecuting the case. So the judge in Clarksville, John Miller, asked the state attorney general's office to prosecute it.

Questions About The Case

The state prosecutors quickly became wary of the Clarksville case. One problem was that it appeared the search warrant had been issued after the raid — after Vergil Richardson had repeatedly asked the sheriff if he could see it.

"[In] three different sections in the discovery, [it] stated that the search started at approximately 10:30 [p.m.]. And the search warrant was signed at 10:49 [p.m.]. And the search was conducted before the search warrant was signed. It's just illegal, period," Lesher says.

The search warrant issue potentially compromised the drug evidence found in the shed.

Shock Waves Through The Courthouse

Lesher, the trail lawyer, sent a shock wave through the small Red River County courthouse when, on behalf of the Richardson brothers, he filed a $2 million civil rights lawsuit against the district attorney, the sheriff and the Clarksville police chief, all of whom participated in the raid.

Then the news got even worse for Red River County. The attorney general's office told Miller that the prosecutors were going to dismiss the charges against the Richardson family, with the exception of Kevin Calloway, who had already confessed. Prosecutors wrote the judge that they were dismissing the charges "in the interest of justice."

But the judge in the case made it clear to both the prosecutors and the defense lawyers that he had no intention of backing off.

"A judge can sit a case, but the judge can't force that case to trial. I've never seen a motion to dismiss signed and executed by the [district attorney] that's never been signed by the judge. It's always just pro forma," Lesher says.

State Judge John Miller refused to accept the attorney general's decision to drop the case. The ruling was so unusual that it lifted legal heads around the state.

But the judge was just getting started. He told defense lawyers that he intended to replace the attorney general's office and appoint a new special prosecutor, someone who would agree to prosecute all of the members of the Richardson family, not just their half-brother Calloway.

Outside The Courtroom

The judge approached one of Vergil Richardson's defense lawyers and asked him to step into a deserted jury room. As Clyde Lee recalls, Miller told him that he wanted to cut a deal.

According to Lee, Miller offered a quid pro quo: If Vergil would dismiss his civil rights lawsuit, then the judge, in return, would dismiss the criminal charges.

But Vergil refused, and a few weeks later, the judge offered a different deal.

"[Miller] then got real specific in saying that my client should testify against the other co-defendants with respect to their drug activity and what he knew had to be true," Lee says.

While it is standard for prosecutors and defense lawyers to negotiate plea deals, that is not usually the judge's role. Miller did not respond to repeated requests by NPR for comment.

Courtesy of Vergil Richardson
Head coach Vergil Richardson (center) poses with his high school basketball team in Texarkana, Texas. After being charged in a drug case in 2007, Richardson lost his job

A History Of Not Following The Book

The question remains: Why would a judge insert himself so provocatively into a case?

Bill Hankins, a reporter for The Paris News in nearby Paris, Texas, who has been covering the story closely, thinks this case is about more than just race.

"You know, [Red River County] is a poor county ... and I think ... [Miller is] concerned about the lawsuit eating up funds that they don't have," he says.

As for the repeated overtures from the judge to defense lawyer Lee outside of court, Hankins says it has to be understood in the context of a small town.

"I'm going to say that it has been done many times before, but it is not the proper way to do it. And I'm going to say that Red River County has a history of doing things probably in ways that don't follow the book," Hankins says.

The Nightmare Ends

In Hankins' view, the Richardsons are actually bit players in their own drama. The leading roles go to the two powerful political interests in the white community — the district attorney and judge on one side, and the trial lawyers on the other.

If Hankins' theory is true, the trial lawyers began to gain the upper hand after Lesher filed a motion to remove Miller from the case, alleging bias. And in a case of unlikely allies, state prosecutors supported the defendants' request to recuse the judge.

No dismissal hearing was held after a new judge was appointed. Instead, the new judge told the Texas attorney general's office to mail him the motions to dismiss, which he signed recently.

The Richardson's three-year nightmare was finally over. But scars still remain.

I'm going to say that Red River County has a history of doing things probably in ways that don't follow the book.

- Bill Hankins, reporter for The Paris News
"I told my wife that I might need to go see a psychiatrist," Mark says, "because every time a cop gets behind me, they'll run my license plate. They [are] going to stop me, because those charges will show up."

Picking Up The Pieces

Like his brother Vergil, Mark Richardson had never been in trouble with the law. He had always thought African-Americans in East Texas exaggerated when they told stories about local law enforcement. He's a different man now.

Asked if he thinks what happened to him and his brother is related to their being black, Mark says yes, he thinks so.

"And that's so sad, because I didn't really believe that at first," Mark says. "That's why it's so hard for me to say that, but it's true: They don't like blacks."

It will take time for the Richardsons to get their lives back. Vergil hopes to once again coach high school basketball. Two years after he was fired, his team went on to win the state championship without him. As for Mark, he would like to sell the house in Clarksville and put his hometown in his rearview mirror.

The Richardsons' civil rights lawsuit against the Red River County district attorney, the sheriff and the chief of police begins early next year.

truetrini

Re: Famous Texas Law Enforcement Discrimination Cases
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2010, 12:32:20 AM »
Tulia, Texas: In the summer of 1999, 46 people were arrested in a drug sting in the tiny town of Tulia, population 5,000. Most of those arrested were African-American. All of the arrests were based entirely on the word of a single undercover deputy police officer, Tom Coleman, who had been charged with stealing thousands of dollars of merchandise at his previous job in another Texas county. When Tulia authorities discovered Coleman's criminal charges, they hid the fact so as not to jeopardize the drug prosecutions. The defendants were sentenced to as long as 99-year prison terms for selling cocaine. Coleman's lies about the drug deals were eventually exposed and discredited, and the convicted Tulians were pardoned and released from Texas prisons. But the town remains scarred by the experience.

Hearne, Texas: The story of Regina Kelly, a young black mother of four in Hearne, Texas, inspired an award-winning Hollywood movie called American Violet. Kelly was among 27 residents — all but one of whom were black — arrested for selling cocaine in the fall of 2000. The charges were based upon the testimony of a single informant, who framed the victims by scraping bits of his own stash of crack cocaine into white chalk so that it would test positive. Still, several defendants pleaded guilty in return for probation to avoid the possibility of a long prison sentence. The ACLU filed suit against the local district attorney and the South Central Texas Narcotics Task Force for conducting repeated racially motivated raids. The suit was eventually settled and the criminal charges dismissed against those who had not already pleaded guilty.

Dallas Fake Drug Scandal: Initially celebrated as the largest drug bust in Dallas County history, the case ultimately led to the dismissal of more than 80 drug cases after a story broken by WFAA-TV. Like the Hearne case, these drug cases were based on the testimony of police informants. But in Dallas, the targets were Mexican immigrants, many of whom were working as auto mechanics or day laborers. Despite their modest jobs, these defendants were accused of dealing huge amounts of cocaine. One man was charged with having more than 176 pounds of the high-priced drug. But the cocaine found was actually powdered sheet rock that had been planted by police informants who were conspiring with Dallas narcotics officers to frame the defendants. Drug-buy money went missing. Six police officers were implicated; three informants and two officers were eventually convicted in the scandal; and the Dallas district attorney’s office was accused of prosecuting drug cases it knew were bad.

— Wade Goodwyn

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Civil Rights, Judicial Bias Surround Texas Drug Case
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2010, 12:11:30 PM »
This does not matter any more, the USA elected a black man as President.   :(
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Civil Rights, Judicial Bias Surround Texas Drug Case
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2010, 04:02:20 PM »
I have read about the Tulia case before. That was gross miscarriage of justice.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
New Govt may hurt war on narcotics
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2011, 05:56:15 AM »
New Govt may hurt war on narcotics
US State Dept:
Story Created: Mar 6, 2011 at 10:46 PM ECT

(Story Updated: Mar 6, 2011 at 10:46 PM ECT )

Actions taken by the People's Partnership Government since it was elected last year could hurt the Caribbean's ongoing battle against illegal drugs, a new narcotics report by the US State Department has said.

Released last Friday, the report featured Trinidad and Tobago and suggested that actions by the new Government elected in May last year may hurt the regional drug fight.

The 2011 International Narcotics Control Strategy Report (INCSR) said that even though counter-narcotics efforts remain a priority for the Kamla Persad-Bissessar administration, "the new Government has de-emphasised regional efforts and assistance programmes, including some security-related projects that would impact counter-narcotics efforts, in order to focus greater attention on domestic issues".

Locally, the report pointed out that the Government struggles to effectively coordinate and implement its drug-control assets, and maintenance issues, corruption, and gaps in the legislative framework remain challenges.

"While Trinidad and Tobago has dedicated resources and political will to drug control efforts, overall, there does not appear to be a marked change in its drug-control performance in 2010. Some initiatives, including demand reduction programmes for school children and at-risk youth, may take years to show results. Other strategies, like the deployment of new fast patrol vessels and helicopters, and improved recruitment and training of law enforcement personnel, could yield positive changes more quickly" the report stated.

It suggested that border control could be improved through better surveillance coordination and increased marine interdictions.

Increasing border patrols on the western side of Trinidad would make trafficking more difficult for smugglers arriving from Venezuela, it added. Furthermore, it noted, improving the level of passenger and cargo screening at the air and sea ports, including better targeting, profiling and automation of inspections, could increase seizure rates and act as a greater deterrent.

The US said that effective use of technology could also improve Trinidad and Tobago's narcotics control efforts, noting that the use of communications tracking tools yielded direct results in 2010. 

"Automated processing systems would allow for better tracking of shipments through the air and sea ports, people entering and leaving the country, and of prisoners entering and moving through the penal system," it said.

Previous article
Police officers probe three weekend murders
Next
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

truetrini

Time to disclose anti-drug trade plans
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2011, 08:01:55 AM »
Time to disclose anti-drug trade plans
Story Created: Mar 8, 2011 at 10:47 PM ECT

(Story Updated: Mar 8, 2011 at 10:47 PM ECT )

THE 2011 International Narcotics Control Strategy Report (INCSR) by the US State Department is sure to renew the debate in Trinidad and Tobago over the People's Partnership's cancellation of the contract for Offshore Patrol Vessels (OPVs). The OPVs, specially ordered under the previous PNM administration at a $5 billion price tag, were supposed to be a key weapon in the fight against drug-trafficking. The Partnership, however, did not consider the OPVs effective, or at least not cost-effective.

The language of the US report is cautious and tentative, but its reference to deployment of OPVs as part of what "could yield positive changes more quickly" is liable to be interpreted as disapproval from the US government. Indeed, the Partnership has vowed to retain the order for helicopters, if not for fast-patrol vessels, and the INSCR also acknowledges other anti-crime and anti-drug initiatives.

However, Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar must be discomfited that the American government has echoed, albeit diplomatically, the same criticism made by her local political opponents. PNM leader Keith Rowley claimed that the cancellation of the OPV contract would lead to T&T becoming the guns and drugs capital of the Caribbean.

Such hyperbole gives too much weight to technology which, although necessary, must be ineffectual when the political will to eradicate drug trafficking is weak. Dr Rowley, after all, was part of an administration which made deals with "community leaders", who were leaders in large part because of the profits they made from trafficking in illegal narcotics. And Mrs Persad-Bissessar herself, as a Minister in the Basdeo Panday administration, also saw some of these same individuals elevated to influential posts through the URP.

In tackling crime, therefore, the Partnership cannot sing a one-chord tune about resuming the executions of convicted murderers. The Government has to demonstrate that it is rejecting the approach of past regimes, and that it is not willing to compromise with individuals who are part and parcel of the drug trade in this country. The Prime Minister will surely respond, publicly or at a diplomatic level, to the concerns raised by the Americans. In respect to the OPVs, the country's financial constraints alone are a good enough reason for the cancellation – indeed, the US itself, with its own economic slowdown, has reduced the resources given to other countries to combat drug trafficking.

However, the report, released at a time when T&T is taking part with other Caribbean and US forces in regional security exercises, would put pressure on the Partnership to make clear, not only for Washington's benefit, but also for the T&T public, exactly what its own credible, anti-drug and anti-crime strategies comprise. That is information which citizens are also anxious to get.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: New Govt may hurt war on narcotics
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2011, 10:45:35 PM »
Ganja worth $18m found in container
By Akile Simon

Story Created: Mar 10, 2011 at 11:49 PM ECT

(Story Updated: Mar 10, 2011 at 11:49 PM ECT )

Police recovered over $18 million worth of compressed marijuana concealed in a 40-foot shipping container at the port of Point Lisas on Wednesday.

And they are now trying to find the people responsible for bringing in the container and its contents.

However, officers complained about a lack of co-operation from Customs and Excise officers at the port saying they were forced to wait close to five hours before the container was opened.

Police said the original seal on the container had been replaced with a Trinidad and Tobago Customs and Excise seal and they were told by Customs officers that the container had been tampered with.

It was only after the intervention of Deputy Police Commissioners Stephen Williams and Raymond Craig that senior Customs officers sent a team from the Customs Marine Interdiction Unit (MIU) to the port and the container was opened.

A total of ten large luggage bags were found containing 118 packets of the illegal drug, which weighed close to 300 kilogrammes.

The original seal of the container was found in a black plastic bag tied to one of the bags containing the drugs, police said.

Police said the container arrived at the port of Port of Spain on March 1, onboard cargo ship Stadt Renbsburg which came from Jamaica. The container was then transferred to the Point Lisas port on March 4.

Officers said they have not been furnished—even though they made repeated requests to Customs officers—with any documentation regarding the importer. Apart from the marijuana, the shipment consisted of power washers and hoses.

Attempts to contact Comptroller of Customs and Excise Fitzroy John for comment yesterday proved futile as calls to his office phones went unanswered.

Over the past two months, police have made several seizures and arrests in connection with the importation and trafficking of the Arizona marijuana and seedlings which appeared to be in high demand in the country.

The drug bust involved officers from the North Eastern Division Task Force, which included Sgt Roger Alexander, Cpl Sunil Bharath, and PCs Lorenzo Lezama, Jerome Gordon and Andell Celestine.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
Re: Time to disclose anti-drug trade plans
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2011, 01:02:21 AM »
Curtail the rise and flow of the influence of Jamaican culture in TnT. Maintain a steady patrol of the coastal waters. Major internal cleansing of those who have to serve and protect.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2011, 06:17:41 AM »
$30m drug bust in Point Lisas
Story Created: Mar 12, 2011 at 11:50 PM ECT

(Story Updated: Mar 12, 2011 at 11:50 PM ECT )

DAYS after officers of the North Eastern Division Task Force found more than $18 million worth of compressed Arizona high grade marijuana in a container at the Point Lisas Port, another multi-million dollar seizure was made on Friday.

This time, the narcotics, which is estimated to be in excess of $30 million, was discovered by officers of the Customs and Excise Division on Friday afternoon.

In a press release issued yesterday, the Customs and Excise Division stated that the seizure was made after ongoing intelligence operations at Port conducted by the Customs and Excise Preventive Branch and the Marine Interdiction Unit.

"With the co-operation of Point Lisas Port, officials were able to identify containers intransit from Jamaica containing approximately 800 kilogrammes of compressed marijuana. The marijuana was enclosed in several containers. Investigations are continuing at the Port as it is believed that more contaminated containers exist," the release added.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2011, 12:06:45 PM »
Good lord... Marijuana is not "narcotics".

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2011, 12:20:19 PM »
I remember in David Rudder's "Mad Man Rant"

"Somebody clean out de weed REAL FASS! But SOMEBODY letting de cocaine pass!"
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2011, 01:41:11 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/SYqLeYJoaBc&amp;feature=related" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/SYqLeYJoaBc&amp;feature=related</a>

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2011, 03:47:21 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/SYqLeYJoaBc&amp;feature=related" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/SYqLeYJoaBc&amp;feature=related</a>

Amazing how pertinent it still could be.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

1]; } ?>