April 29, 2024, 02:42:00 AM

Author Topic: Drug News Thread  (Read 88564 times)

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
Re: Cocaine in Trinidad Orange & Grapefruit Juice Cans
« Reply #270 on: January 27, 2014, 12:06:27 PM »
Trinidad and Tobago’s international trade reputation will not be negatively impacted despite the $644 million cocaine bust in the United States last month from a container originating in Port of Spain, Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar said yesterday.

“We were able through allies to bust this container of goods, unfortunately with a Trinidad and Tobago name on it. We still don’t know if it was something done here or elsewhere; that is under investigation. The shipment may have left T&T, but what transpired after that is still sensitive and still under investigation. Certainly there will be concerns, but I’m not sure we will be impacted so negatively that we will be branded everywhere and blocked everywhere and I’m fortified in that view that the manufacturer was able to show these labels were counterfeit, and that the shipment was not made by them.

“Every nation in the world has issues with narco-trafficking and therefore it’s (about) our response now. We learn every day,” the Prime Minister told reporters at the National Academy for the Performing Arts (NAPA), Port of Spain, before she delivered the feature address at the launch of the National Week of Prayer.

This was her first official statement since the story broke two weeks ago that Customs and Border Protection (CPB) officers at the Port of Norfolk in the US state of Virginia seized 732 pounds of cocaine concealed in cans bearing the labels of SM Jaleel product Trinidad Orange and Grapefruit juices on December 20 last year.

The wholesale value of the cocaine is about US$12 million and has a street value of as much as US$100 million, according to Customs officials.

The PM refrained from commenting further, but endorsed the “information lock down” advocated by National Security Minister Gary Griffith pertaining to news on the progress of investigations.

“The matter is under investigation. It is sensitive and it would be inappropriate to comment on it at this time... I think with this being such a sensitive matter, information should be shared on a need to know basis. Therefore, this blanket in terms of sharing information is on lock down; I think it’s a good strategy because we’ve seen in the past where leakages could lead to compromising of the investigation,” Persad-Bissessar said, adding she read an article earlier that the region was becoming the number one transshipment point for illegal drugs destined for Europe and North America.

“I don’t think it’s a new factor but certainly Trinidad is being used more and more; our geographic location, I suppose, may be a reason we are targeted,” she said.

Last week, Griffith said he was invoking a “gag order” on the media and officials from reporting any new information on investigations by local and US law enforcement.

He and Cabinet colleagues Trade Minister Vasant Bharath, Communications Minister Gerald Hadeed, Tourism Minister Chandresh Sharma and National Diversity Minister Rodger Samuel were also at NAPA.
Griffith said since the bust, current border security protocol had “most definitely” been reviewed.

“We have been ahead of the game but also it shows the importance to have a legitimate port of entry security which is what we have been putting in place through scanners, canine and other security initiatives at this point in time,” he said.

A $25 million scanner to examine import containers—purchased through a Chinese grant under the condition that the product purchased was made in China—is currently being installed at the Port of Port of Spain.

Bharath, who last Monday said export containers are not traditionally checked by Customs before leaving the country, added that the division is still examining the ways to “close all loopholes regarding that”.

He added that three scanners that were to be acquired through US aid last year were delayed because of regulatory issues that had to be approved by the US Senate, but that has been received and the scanners are expected in June.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/PM-Every-nation-has-narco-trafficking-issues-242154331.html

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise

Offline Michael-j

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: January 27, 2014, 01:57:49 PM »
Since this story broke the entire nation was wondering how long Kamla would remain silent on this issue....now that she finally spoke we're wishing she kept her mouth shut. What a buffoon  :clown:

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: January 27, 2014, 03:16:41 PM »
I'm sure the government won't have much trouble blocking leakages, they're as transparent as a Point Fortin oil spill

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 27, 2014, 04:24:10 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=582426238510840

Apologies if I missed this completely, but was it known (before this video above) that this container was headed for New York?

Edit: Disregard. It's in the original article. Apologies.

Although, I don't understand what SM Jaleel are saying here then:

“We have been reliably informed that the container in question was shipped from Port of Spain to Norfolk, Virginia. SM Jaleel & Co ltd ships to the USA with Seaboard Marine from the Point Lisas port to Brooklyn, New York.”
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 04:26:13 PM by boss »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: January 27, 2014, 08:43:26 PM »
So there was no investigation and no one was monitoring anyone. It's just the port security that made the find.

:-\
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: January 27, 2014, 10:08:31 PM »
Daurius Figueira - The Drug Trade in Trinidad & Tobago and The Caribbean.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/AHWUhLg1JFo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/AHWUhLg1JFo</a>

With the news of the US $100 Million cocaine bust at the Port of Norfolk in Virginia, and a visit by 50+ agents from the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) to Trinidad & Tobago, Lecturer of Sociology at the University of the West Indies, Daurius Figueira speaks with host of Morning Edition, Fazeer Mohammed, about the role of the Caribbean in the Illicit Drug Trade.

Date of Interview: Thursday 23rd January 2014.

Copyright: Morning Edition - Caribbean Communications Network.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: January 28, 2014, 12:49:50 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/AHWUhLg1JFo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/AHWUhLg1JFo</a>

This fella talk nuff shit.  Ah glad ah finally get to hear him fuh mihself because I was ready to give him all kinda pips just last week on the strenght of his book on the subject.  Now I see him as self-aggrandizing and passing himself off as some kinda expert, when in reality he playing loose with all kinda facts.

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: January 28, 2014, 10:10:25 AM »

This fella talk nuff shit.  Ah glad ah finally get to hear him fuh mihself because I was ready to give him all kinda pips just last week on the strenght of his book on the subject.  Now I see him as self-aggrandizing and passing himself off as some kinda expert, when in reality he playing loose with all kinda facts.

The man went to Steve rumshop and come up with this diatribe
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: January 28, 2014, 10:44:06 AM »

With the news of the US $100 Million cocaine bust at the Port of Norfolk in Virginia, and a visit by 50+ agents from the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) to Trinidad & Tobago, Lecturer of Sociology at the University of the West Indies, Daurius Figueira speaks with host of Morning Edition, Fazeer Mohammed, about the role of the Caribbean in the Illicit Drug Trade.

Date of Interview: Thursday 23rd January 2014.

Copyright: Morning Edition - Caribbean Communications Network.

It so scary that not only all kinda people have access to the media to spread their propaganda but they are also teaching in our institutions and calling themselves experts. This man is all kinda crazy. I sure he never talk to a mexican or colombian informant in his life. Trinis like too much small talk and small fame.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 10:49:26 AM by congo »

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: January 28, 2014, 10:47:46 AM »
Mexico cartel hadda move all that product down south just to get it back the US? All the while adding on costs of bribing officials and logistics throughout all those contracts they moving their product in? I call BS on that one. Colombia has enough cocaine and the last time I checked, they supplied 80 percent of the world's cocaine. Mexico has enough suppliers being so close to the US border. Mexican gangs wouldn't be allowed to gain influence all the way down south.

I think you massively underestimate the profits involved - Mexico is a mafiocracy, ruled by several prominent cartels funded by drug money. Their market is the US, and the Mexican-US boarder is increasingly militarised every day. When a single shipment can be worth millions of dollars, what's 10k to bribe an official and 15k in transport?

The incentive is to minimise the risk of the shipments being caught - being caught can lead back to you as well as lead to the loss of millions. In such a scenario, it's much safer to go through a number of intermediaries in different countries.

Steups....Mexico is the only cocaine producing country in Latin America or something? Do you know how difficult it is to move drugs across borders? Everyone taking part assumes some forms of risks. Risks result in an added cost at each point of the transaction. Count how many countries exists between Mexico and Trinidad and Tobago. Gangs in Latin america not letting any mexican move product in their own country. They have their own product to move. What sense does it make for mexicans to move product all the way to the caribbean just to get it to America?  It makes little sense. Our drugs come from Colombia and Venezuela.

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: January 28, 2014, 10:57:19 AM »
Trinidad and Tobago’s international trade reputation will not be negatively impacted despite the $644 million cocaine bust in the United States last month from a container originating in Port of Spain, Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar said yesterday.

“We were able through allies to bust this container of goods, unfortunately with a Trinidad and Tobago name on it. We still don’t know if it was something done here or elsewhere; that is under investigation. The shipment may have left T&T, but what transpired after that is still sensitive and still under investigation. Certainly there will be concerns, but I’m not sure we will be impacted so negatively that we will be branded everywhere and blocked everywhere and I’m fortified in that view that the manufacturer was able to show these labels were counterfeit, and that the shipment was not made by them.

“Every nation in the world has issues with narco-trafficking and therefore it’s (about) our response now. We learn every day,” the Prime Minister told reporters at the National Academy for the Performing Arts (NAPA), Port of Spain, before she delivered the feature address at the launch of the National Week of Prayer.

This was her first official statement since the story broke two weeks ago that Customs and Border Protection (CPB) officers at the Port of Norfolk in the US state of Virginia seized 732 pounds of cocaine concealed in cans bearing the labels of SM Jaleel product Trinidad Orange and Grapefruit juices on December 20 last year.

The wholesale value of the cocaine is about US$12 million and has a street value of as much as US$100 million, according to Customs officials.

The PM refrained from commenting further, but endorsed the “information lock down” advocated by National Security Minister Gary Griffith pertaining to news on the progress of investigations.

“The matter is under investigation. It is sensitive and it would be inappropriate to comment on it at this time... I think with this being such a sensitive matter, information should be shared on a need to know basis. Therefore, this blanket in terms of sharing information is on lock down; I think it’s a good strategy because we’ve seen in the past where leakages could lead to compromising of the investigation,” Persad-Bissessar said, adding she read an article earlier that the region was becoming the number one transshipment point for illegal drugs destined for Europe and North America.

“I don’t think it’s a new factor but certainly Trinidad is being used more and more; our geographic location, I suppose, may be a reason we are targeted,” she said.

Last week, Griffith said he was invoking a “gag order” on the media and officials from reporting any new information on investigations by local and US law enforcement.

He and Cabinet colleagues Trade Minister Vasant Bharath, Communications Minister Gerald Hadeed, Tourism Minister Chandresh Sharma and National Diversity Minister Rodger Samuel were also at NAPA.
Griffith said since the bust, current border security protocol had “most definitely” been reviewed.

“We have been ahead of the game but also it shows the importance to have a legitimate port of entry security which is what we have been putting in place through scanners, canine and other security initiatives at this point in time,” he said.

A $25 million scanner to examine import containers—purchased through a Chinese grant under the condition that the product purchased was made in China—is currently being installed at the Port of Port of Spain.

Bharath, who last Monday said export containers are not traditionally checked by Customs before leaving the country, added that the division is still examining the ways to “close all loopholes regarding that”.

He added that three scanners that were to be acquired through US aid last year were delayed because of regulatory issues that had to be approved by the US Senate, but that has been received and the scanners are expected in June.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/PM-Every-nation-has-narco-trafficking-issues-242154331.html

She's a dummy. I say that without any regard or regrets. If you all need any confirmation that Kamla is severely out of touch with reality just read the wiki leaks cable from Trinidad. This woman went to meeting with the Embassy officials with Panday etc a few years back and tell them that the drug of choice in Trinidad is crack cocaine. The people have to correct her and tell her that the drug of choice is high grade marijuana. How can you be a citizen of Trinidad and Tobago, former Attorney General and a member of parliament for 20 + years and you don't know what the drug of choice in your own country is? She can't be serious. The blind leading the dumb in this place.

Ps...I find she looking very sick and fragile. She also took a ridiculous amount of time to make a public statement and be even seen in public after this fiasco.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: January 28, 2014, 02:32:21 PM »
Mexico cartel hadda move all that product down south just to get it back the US? All the while adding on costs of bribing officials and logistics throughout all those contracts they moving their product in? I call BS on that one. Colombia has enough cocaine and the last time I checked, they supplied 80 percent of the world's cocaine. Mexico has enough suppliers being so close to the US border. Mexican gangs wouldn't be allowed to gain influence all the way down south.

I think you massively underestimate the profits involved - Mexico is a mafiocracy, ruled by several prominent cartels funded by drug money. Their market is the US, and the Mexican-US boarder is increasingly militarised every day. When a single shipment can be worth millions of dollars, what's 10k to bribe an official and 15k in transport?

The incentive is to minimise the risk of the shipments being caught - being caught can lead back to you as well as lead to the loss of millions. In such a scenario, it's much safer to go through a number of intermediaries in different countries.

Steups....Mexico is the only cocaine producing country in Latin America or something? Do you know how difficult it is to move drugs across borders? Everyone taking part assumes some forms of risks. Risks result in an added cost at each point of the transaction. Count how many countries exists between Mexico and Trinidad and Tobago. Gangs in Latin america not letting any mexican move product in their own country. They have their own product to move. What sense does it make for mexicans to move product all the way to the caribbean just to get it to America?  It makes little sense. Our drugs come from Colombia and Venezuela.

Erm 0 countries if you ship by sea? The youtube interviewee seems convinced that Mexican cartels currently control Peruvian cocain, the biggest producers in the region, so it all stands.

It makes complete sense if it's easier to get into America on ships flying a Trini flag than it is Mexican. I'm not sure why you think it's easier to go across the most heavily fortified boarder in the Americas than it is to ship it to Trinidad and Tobago, mould it into cans, and ship it into the US. You need only a cartel based on the Eastern Coast of Mexico really...

Also I'm not saying drugs don't come from Colombia or Venezuela either? I'm talking specifically on the point that you put - that it doesn't make sense to ship drugs via Trinidad to the US. My response was it makes perfect sense if it means they'll reach the Eastern seaboard of the US more reliably.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: January 28, 2014, 03:52:22 PM »
Re: Figueroa

Certainly, not the most polished TV presence, particularly in delivery. From a professional viewpoint he trafficked in sensationalism a bit (pun intended). By the same token, it wasn't as much a rigorous interview as it was a conversation. Nonetheless, it's up to Mr. Figueroa to deliver the intellectual rigor as this is a topic on his "ends".

Some sound factual assertions mixed in with diluted authority ... and a procedural faux pas here and there.

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: January 28, 2014, 04:17:35 PM »

Erm 0 countries if you ship by sea? The youtube interviewee seems convinced that Mexican cartels currently control Peruvian cocain, the biggest producers in the region, so it all stands.

It makes complete sense if it's easier to get into America on ships flying a Trini flag than it is Mexican. I'm not sure why you think it's easier to go across the most heavily fortified boarder in the Americas than it is to ship it to Trinidad and Tobago, mould it into cans, and ship it into the US. You need only a cartel based on the Eastern Coast of Mexico really...

Also I'm not saying drugs don't come from Colombia or Venezuela either? I'm talking specifically on the point that you put - that it doesn't make sense to ship drugs via Trinidad to the US. My response was it makes perfect sense if it means they'll reach the Eastern seaboard of the US more reliably.

Shipped directly? I'm pretty sure that any vessel leaving Mexico would be heavily searched and boarded on the open seas. Naval intelligence will quickly pick up on any Mexican group moving a lot of drugs over the open seas towards the caribbean. Drug smuggling is not as easy as it sounds. I am not saying that it's impossible but it's alot of work. A lot of work that basically results in additional costs and risks.

I don't think having a trini flag is better than having a Mexican would decrease the chances of being searched. We are a known major transshipment point. We are constantly being monitored and evaluated. Mexicans don't let anyone in. There is no joint venture to be made. You keep talking about the heavily fortified border between Us and Mexico. That is nothing to get around for the mexicans. They are heavily armed and ruthless as well. The amount of people and cargo that travel between the US and Mexico makes it easy to move product between the countries and makes it difficult to be detected.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 04:31:39 PM by congo »

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: January 28, 2014, 04:56:24 PM »

Shipped directly? I'm pretty sure that any vessel leaving Mexico would be heavily searched and boarded on the open seas. Naval intelligence will quickly pick up on any Mexican group moving a lot of drugs over the open seas towards the caribbean. Drug smuggling is not as easy as it sounds. I am not saying that it's impossible but it's alot of work. A lot of work that basically results in additional costs and risks.

I don't think having a trini flag is better than having a Mexican would decrease the chances of being searched. We are a known major transshipment point. We are constantly being monitored and evaluated. Mexicans don't let anyone in. There is no joint venture to be made. You keep talking about the heavily fortified border between Us and Mexico. That is nothing to get around for the mexicans. They are heavily armed and ruthless as well. The amount of people and cargo that travel between the US and Mexico makes it easy to move product between the countries and makes it difficult to be detected.

By UN Declaration the open seas are just that - they're safe when outside national maritime boarders in that regard, so the real issues are the port and relatively brief periods of being in national boarders. Flags can count a lot in terms of boarding - depending on the agreements and such. Other islands in the Caribbean are already known for their drug problem, so having a flag without that baggage could be the difference between a search and not, especially from one of the US's largest LNG suppliers.

I think your arguments on the armouries and ruthlessness of them can easily be applied to their methods outside of that region. The current political climate probably outweighs the potential advantage of travelling in a well-traversed boarder. Moreover, well-traversed boarders are more likely to have resources sustaining more thorough policies, such as sniffer dogs, under-car mirrors and other methods of detection. Conversely, small-time shipping ports or less-traveled routes are likely to have less eyes upon then.

In the end, I plead ignorance to the more complex issues surrounding it - got nothing but my opinion to back most of the above. But on the specific point of 'why would they use Trinidad', I think there are a number of good reasons, especially if you can cheaply bribe port officials and workers 

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: January 28, 2014, 07:55:45 PM »

Coming back to this... this is why I can't take this joker seriously:

UWI lecturer on $644m cocaine bust: Mexican cartels infiltrate T&T
By Charles Kong Soo (Guardian).

University of the West Indies (UWI) criminology lecturer Daurius Figueira says the $644 million cocaine bust hidden in juice cans intercepted by US Customs officers at Norfolk, Virginia, USA, is the wakeup call that T&T has been infiltrated by the Mexican drug cartel. Figueira is also the author of the book, Cocaine Trafficking in The Caribbean & West Africa in the Era of The Mexican cartels.

Speaking to the Sunday Guardian in a telephone interview last week, he said: “That shipment has all the hallmarks of a Mexican drug cartel operation, its fingerprints are all over it. “That is the wakeup call for T&T. The Mexican cartels have already infiltrated the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, the Eastern Caribbean, Belize, Bahamas, Turks and Caicos islands, US Virgin Islands. It’s T&T’s time now, and Jamaica’s turn is next.”

He says this, but in the interview stresses that the drug of choice of the Mexicans is Methamphetamines, not cocaine.  He did also say that the Mexicans control the Peruvian cocaine production, so in fairness to him maybe that was the implication.

2. "If the cocaine originates from a country or a group with known terrorist ties, then all of a sudden transporting the drugs to America becomes a terrorist act.  You could find yourself in Guantanamo Bay."  He then goes on to cite an example of some fellas getting caught on the high seas and being taken to Guantanamo Bay.

He throws out "Operation Martillo", but in his ignorance he fails to make the connection as to why the traffickers are taken to Guantanamo Bay.  Operation Martillo is a joint operation between European, American and Central American forces, but led by the US Military's Southern Command... an amalgam of Naval, Army, Marine, Air Force and Coast Guard units.  Guantanamo Bay is under the direction of the Southern Command, whose focus is on Central America, the Caribbean and South America.  It's only natural that they'd be the ones to get involved.  Guantanamo Bay is not only home to the infamous detention facility, but home to a thriving Naval base in existence for over a hundred years.  In fact, the detention camp is only 11 or 12 years old... and Fazeer shows his ignorance (and I use that in a benign way) for asking "weren't they supposed to be closing Guantanamo Bay"... no Fazeer, just the detention camp. Doh get the Cubans too excited for no reason.

3. "The American Methodology is simple- once the gentleman cracked open that bottle of "Pear D" and died in England... de alerts went out!"

Ponder that sentence for a minute.  See if you can parse from it the "American methodology".  And he's clear in describing it as "simple"... which means for an expert like him, it's clear as day to see how the Americans think and act.  Except we don't get the benefit of that insight... perhaps because it is lacking.

4. Similarly, he was asked about why the Mexican cartels would want to ship their meth from Mexico all the way down to Trinidad.  He never answered, instead he went on a Sunday drive about how the Mexican cartels operate and how they are different from the Colombians, and how they all in China.  One might be tempted to inquire about the price of tea there, in deciphering just what the hell this man talking about.

Perhaps he meant the Mexican cartels' cocaine coming up from Peru, but he never explained.  Another explanation might be Operation Martillo and the effect it has had on the shipment of drugs off the coast of Central America and in the Caribbean Sea.  This has ostensibly pushed shipment routes further east towards the Caribbean archipelago, as a conduit to the North.  But that wouldn't explain their presence in TnT... which would seem to discredit his theory.

5. "The DEA's main purpose in Trinidad is to prevent the fleeing of those persons of interest to them"

Undeniably one of the biggest crock of shite ever.  The DEA is here to investigate, they cannot prevent anybody from getting on a plane.  He even concedes as much when Fazeer challenged him on that ("can they do that?") by stating "well it depends on the local law enforcement".  He also made a very controversial statement right at the start that the "standard operating procedure for the DEA is that you on a 'need to know' basis." The implication is that they don't have to share info with local law enforcement if they don't want to.  That is a clear contravention of the agreement by which they could even enter into the country and begin joint investigations.  They are not here on their own.  Now of course if they suspect the info might be compromised by sharing it, they can withold it, and diplomatic channels would have to be employed to address any resulting impasse.  On that point he half got it right.

Bottom line de fella is a blowhard who trying to set himself up as not only AN expert on drug trafficking in the Caribbean, but as THE expert in Trinidad.  He stroking he own ego with every utterance, bout he "monitoring the situation 24 hours a day, 365 days a year."  Like we eh know is sit he siddung on de internet like anybody else reading stuff from here and there.

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: January 28, 2014, 08:27:03 PM »
The scary thing is that I wouldn't doubt for one second that national security policy is formed on the opinions from "experts" like him.

Trinis love to live in movie land. I read in the express recently where it was claimed that female assassins were on their way from Colombia to deal with the people who talking. Apparently they arrived on a yacht a couple days ago. What frightens me is the reporter who got told this info and actually decided to replicate it in written form for the world to read. Some pillow talk must be left at home.

Another thing I can't understand is the belief that ONE man could be controlling crime and all illicit activities. This never ending search for Mr Big. Even the former Prime Minister acknowledged his existence. It's time we joined the rest of the world and put down the remote. Too much movie life.

I like how he keeps talking about the mexican cartels like some major multicorporation that has a 20 year strategic plan. Most cartel bosses not thinking that far ahead. They just trying to remain alive and out of jail. The leaders are constantly either killed or arrested. They don't get chance to plan expansion when they trying to fight off inner power struggles and other cartels vying for their territory. Cartels are constantly splintering. Global domination isn't on their to-do list.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 08:33:45 PM by congo »

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: January 28, 2014, 10:10:44 PM »
The scary thing is that I wouldn't doubt for one second that national security policy is formed on the opinions from "experts" like him.

Trinis love to live in movie land. I read in the express recently where it was claimed that female assassins were on their way from Colombia to deal with the people who talking. Apparently they arrived on a yacht a couple days ago. What frightens me is the reporter who got told this info and actually decided to replicate it in written form for the world to read. Some pillow talk must be left at home.

Another thing I can't understand is the belief that ONE man could be controlling crime and all illicit activities. This never ending search for Mr Big. Even the former Prime Minister acknowledged his existence. It's time we joined the rest of the world and put down the remote. Too much movie life.

I like how he keeps talking about the mexican cartels like some major multicorporation that has a 20 year strategic plan. Most cartel bosses not thinking that far ahead. They just trying to remain alive and out of jail. The leaders are constantly either killed or arrested. They don't get chance to plan expansion when they trying to fight off inner power struggles and other cartels vying for their territory. Cartels are constantly splintering. Global domination isn't on their to-do list.

yup, look they hold "el tio" today

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jan/28/mexican-forces-catch-notorious-drugs-cartel-leader

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: January 29, 2014, 05:51:14 AM »
Bottom line de fella is a blowhard who trying to set himself up as not only AN expert on drug trafficking in the Caribbean, but as THE expert in Trinidad.  He stroking he own ego with every utterance, bout he "monitoring the situation 24 hours a day, 365 days a year."  Like we eh know is sit he siddung on de internet like anybody else reading stuff from here and there.

If yuh feel up tuh it, try and read one of his books, and see how far yuh get. I wasn't able. Clarity is not one of his gifts.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: January 29, 2014, 05:55:35 AM »
Academics aren't known for the quality of their interviews - the guy's current research is all in this field, so I wouldn't dismiss his arguments so casually.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: January 29, 2014, 07:50:13 AM »

If yuh feel up tuh it, try and read one of his books, and see how far yuh get. I wasn't able. Clarity is not one of his gifts.

LOL
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Conquering Lion

• Tell me how can a man who doh know his roots form his own ideology?
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: January 29, 2014, 08:08:50 AM »
Academics aren't known for the quality of their interviews - the guy's current research is all in this field, so I wouldn't dismiss his arguments so casually.

In the absence of better information or other expert opinion, this one line by Tiresais makes the most sense to me.

While I accept that expert opinion is the lowest form of evidence, some of Figueira's points might have some merit....
We fire de old set ah managers we had wukkin..and iz ah new group we went and we bring in. And if the goods we require de new managers not supplying, when election time come back round iz new ones we bringin. For iz one ting about my people I can guarantee..They will never ever vote party b4 country

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: January 29, 2014, 12:05:25 PM »

Coming into this week I was seriously about to go look fuh he "Drug Trafficking in the Caribbean" what-it-name book.  But nah, he doh need my money.  Tiresais, clearly his issues go deeper than an inability to give a "quality" interview.  I wouldn't even comment on the fact that he show up for a nationally-televised interview, dressed as if he just out on de verandah batting back some scotch with de boys.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: January 29, 2014, 02:10:53 PM »
Re: his attire

Maybe we not being fair. Admittedly, it was somewhat my initial reaction too, but I found that to be amplified by his demeanor. However, the offending causes might be the placement of the mic and the lack of application of an additional button.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: January 29, 2014, 03:48:44 PM »

Coming into this week I was seriously about to go look fuh he "Drug Trafficking in the Caribbean" what-it-name book.  But nah, he doh need my money.  Tiresais, clearly his issues go deeper than an inability to give a "quality" interview.  I wouldn't even comment on the fact that he show up for a nationally-televised interview, dressed as if he just out on de verandah batting back some scotch with de boys.

To be fair at 6:30am I'd rock up in whatever :p

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: January 29, 2014, 09:00:08 PM »
JUICE ATTACK?!!

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/JUICE-ATTACK-242503801.html

wtf?....wha kinda amateur night dis fiasco devolving into
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 03, 2014, 12:41:24 AM »

Ah hear ah chinee man who big in the local music and feteing industry is invovled.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 03, 2014, 01:33:42 AM »

Ah hear ah chinee man who big in the local music and feteing industry is invovled.

he didnt pack up and leave some time ago? everyone knows there were more to that shooting

1]; } ?>