March 29, 2024, 12:32:31 AM

Author Topic: Let's Not Get Carried Away!!!  (Read 1901 times)

Offline truthseeker

• Sr. Warrior
  • Goal in yuh rucc**tunse
    • View Profile
Let's Not Get Carried Away!!!
« on: December 09, 2005, 09:11:21 PM »
As a long time soca warrior I a happy about the draw we received. It could have been worse, but that said, I have been reading all of the posts so far and I think that nuff men are getting carried away. All three teams that we will have to play have World Cup experience. They have been thru the circus of it before, the media and world exposure, while we are virtual newcomers. In case we forget, your off field obligations can often seriously derail a team's progress and means of preparation. And in this regard, we are far behind the others, who know what too expect and in essence, have been preparing for it since they qualified.

On the field is another matter. While we no doubt have the skill, the pressure of being on the world stage can prove to be daunting. The team suffered a slight case of stage fright during the home leg vs Bahrain and that episode can in no way compare t what we will face during the Cup. stage fright hjave a way of inhibiting a player's skills, they can become afraid to make a mistake, they could be starstruck or overwhelmed. It is not easy and any of you who have ever played any kind of sport in a highly competitive arena know that mental fortitude is crucial to one's success.

Paraguay may seem easy on paper but i am sure the Paraguayans are counting us as an easy 3 points. The Swedes may not possess an abundance of silky skills but their players are very professional in their approach, they are precise, possess a tremendous workrate and they will punish any team with their dead ball/set pieces skills.

England is arguably the class of the group and with the players at their disposal, I am sure that they expect to win the group.

I am not saying that we go in capitulating to anyone, but I think that we shouldn't get carried away either. The Cup will be a difficult journey for us but hopefully we can finally employ a top mental coach to work with the squad. Hopefully, the upcoming warm up games will help to prepare us to deal with playing away to hostile crowds...

Be happy but remember we are babies in this tournament!!! The World's grandest...

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Not Get Carried Away!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2005, 09:13:30 PM »
Well said!! here yee here yee!!!

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005, 09:26:14 PM »
 It is our first world cup, so you must expect men to get carried away.
After all  :wavetowel: :wavetowel: :wavetowel: and  :beermug: :beermug:
What do you expect :)

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 09:37:37 PM »
you kinda sublimely mentioned all that we do have going for us though -

a) nobody expect too much from us - never underestimate that, coming into a game with no pressure.  I feel thaiz exactly what going on with US and Mexico recently, the Mexican public demanding that they beat the US everytime, but the US team?  No pressure...and you could see it in their game...Mexico doesn't look like Mexico against teh US. - If we come out and go through a first half 0-0 vs england, and their fans starting to turn and time ticking and still no result...pressure...thaiz how small teams does beat big teams.

b) you also mention that something have to happen between now and then, in terms of depth of bench and preparation.  I really hope everybody get a look, from Mc farlane to wise to them us college youths to hardest, to Zamora to whoever... hope time and resources allow us to really go with teh best 23.

c) good thing the stadium we playing in kinda small, and hopefully we will be well represented in the stadium at least, to make the actual day seem less daunthing.  Hopefully beenie and the staff could get them fellas minds away from teh broarder meaning of everything and you right...the media circus and stuff...maybe Austrian base wasn't such a bad idea eh Jack?

otherwise I with you, I know is an outside shot we have, and them fellas going on that too, and we have to do everything perfect if we ever have to take an outside shot

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2005, 09:56:26 PM »
As a long time soca warrior I a happy about the draw we received. It could have been worse, but that said, I have been reading all of the posts so far and I think that nuff men are getting carried away. All three teams that we will have to play have World Cup experience. They have been thru the circus of it before, the media and world exposure, while we are virtual newcomers. In case we forget, your off field obligations can often seriously derail a team's progress and means of preparation. And in this regard, we are far behind the others, who know what too expect and in essence, have been preparing for it since they qualified.

On the field is another matter. While we no doubt have the skill, the pressure of being on the world stage can prove to be daunting. The team suffered a slight case of stage fright during the home leg vs Bahrain and that episode can in no way compare t what we will face during the Cup. stage fright hjave a way of inhibiting a player's skills, they can become afraid to make a mistake, they could be starstruck or overwhelmed. It is not easy and any of you who have ever played any kind of sport in a highly competitive arena know that mental fortitude is crucial to one's success.

Paraguay may seem easy on paper but i am sure the Paraguayans are counting us as an easy 3 points. The Swedes may not possess an abundance of silky skills but their players are very professional in their approach, they are precise, possess a tremendous workrate and they will punish any team with their dead ball/set pieces skills.

England is arguably the class of the group and with the players at their disposal, I am sure that they expect to win the group.

I am not saying that we go in capitulating to anyone, but I think that we shouldn't get carried away either. The Cup will be a difficult journey for us but hopefully we can finally employ a top mental coach to work with the squad. Hopefully, the upcoming warm up games will help to prepare us to deal with playing away to hostile crowds...

Be happy but remember we are babies in this tournament!!! The World's grandest...

Yuh tink is Man Boo yuh dealin wit here or wha?   ;D ;D

All joke aside...good post breddrin.  True talk dat.  Respeck  :salute:
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2005, 10:08:08 PM »

Truthseeker nice post but as yuh on the topic of the swedes strengths why not mention what you think are our strenghts that can counter theres.

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2005, 10:11:21 PM »
I think all teams go feel the pressure on the field come game time it's a matter of who handles it better.

Offline truthseeker

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2005, 10:26:11 PM »
Sags: You are right about all teams feeling pressure, but with all things being equal, we will feel arguably feel it more so than the others. Ask Ato about the pressure of being in an Olympic or World Championship event... Its no easy thing. I really hoping for TnT to shock the world, I would love nothing better, but we got away with playing Dog and Tallman at the back in Concacaf.. We cyah do that during the Cup.. They are too similar. we need a younger creative midfielder to do what Latas have been doing (Could Hardest be de answer). We need Jones and Glenn to step up and put pressure on Stern.. and we should also cast our nets wide and far for players who can bring something additionally to the table. I still cyah believe that there is no 16, 17, 18 year old in Tnt who can't bring something new to the table. They woould be understandly raw but that is where these warmup games come in...

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2005, 10:37:13 PM »
Great post Truthseeker, but this is ultimately where the coaching staff's job over the next 6 mths comes in, namely in getting players prepared for the big stage, finding additional talent that can blend well into the team's existing chemistry, and perhaps most importantly continuously grooming the various aspects of our collective game.

Lots of work to be done over the next 6 mths, with 100% effort on all our parts, we can perform better than creditably at our 1st WC.
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline truthseeker

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2005, 10:40:05 PM »
Having Beenie as head coach makes me feel optimistic though...

Offline tempo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2005, 10:41:02 PM »
Anybody hear of a player named Ade Reek. He use to play for Southern Illinois

1]; } ?>