April 27, 2024, 01:32:48 AM

Author Topic: Official World Cup Draw Thread  (Read 61279 times)

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Pot Speculation from Bild
« Reply #120 on: December 05, 2005, 01:42:16 PM »
According to Bild (German newspaper)

These will be the pots

Group A: Germany, Brazil, Argentina, Italy, Spain, France, England, Mexico

Group B: Netherlands, Czech, Switzerland, Ukraine, Serbia, Croatia, Sweden, Portugal, Poland

Group C: Ivory Coast, Ghana, Angola, Togo, Tunisia, Paraguay, Ecuador, Australia

Group D: South Korea, Japan, Iran, Saudi Arabia, USA, Costa Rica, T&T

They have grouped Concacaf with Asia to create a pot of 7..... Therefore the 9th unseeded Euro team must go here....

The apparent reasoning behind this is to avoid a Super Group of Death such as Brazil, Holland, Czech, USA...

In this way it is impossible for the US and a lesser extent Korea and/or Japan to be drawn with two strong Euros and Brazil/Argentina....

I think this makes sense... so we will find out tomorrow if this is indeed the case.....

This is great for TnT because we will also be protected from the Super Group of Death by Concacaf association  ;D

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Trini_fan

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Official World Cup Draw Thread
« Reply #121 on: December 05, 2005, 02:43:14 PM »
According to Reuters et al the groups will be:

Group A  - Brazil, Italy, France, Argentina, Spain, Mexico, England, Germany

Group B  - Netherlands, United States, Czech Republic, Croatia, South Korea, Japan, Paraguay

Group C - Ecuador, Switzerland, Tunisia, Saudi Arabia, Poland, Iran, Costa Rica, Portugal

Group D - Ukraine, Serbia & Montenegro, Ivory Coast, Australia, Ghana, Trinidad & Tobago, Togo, Angola

That's put a whole different spin on tings.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 05, 2005, 02:44:57 PM »

Group B  - Netherlands, United States, Czech Republic, Croatia, South Korea, Japan, Paraguay

Group C - Ecuador, Switzerland, Tunisia, Saudi Arabia, Poland, Iran, Costa Rica, Portugal

Group D - Ukraine, Serbia & Montenegro, Ivory Coast, Australia, Ghana, Trinidad & Tobago, Togo, Angola

Oh Gawwddd ... Trini_fan.... of all ppl !!! yuh read de thread?

Many of dese news agencies making up dey own procedures which make no sense......

Fifa has EXPLICITLY stated that only the top 8 will be seeded the other pots will be separated by geography!!!

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 05, 2005, 03:08:28 PM »
FIFA to announce seeds for World Cup finals
FIFA to announce seeds for World Cup finals

By Mike Collett

LEIPZIG, Germany (Reuters) - FIFA's World Cup Organising Committee will decide on Tuesday the seedings for the 32 finalists involved in next year's tournament in Germany.

The only thing known for certain is that the hosts will be seeded in slot A1 in the match schedule and play the tournament's opening match in Munich on June 9, Dortmund on June 14 and Berlin on June 20.

ADVERTISEMENT

Seven other countries will also be placed in the top pool and kept apart in the draw for the first round which takes place in Leipzig's Neue Messe exhibition center.

Friday's draw will be broadcast live to around 150 countries in the world with an estimated record audience of around 320 million people expected to tune in.

FIFA have not confirmed how the seedings will be decided but hinted that the same method used in 2002 will be used again.

That involved taking the performances from the two previous World Cup finals, combined with an average position based on the FIFA world rankings from the past three years to establish a coefficient for each team.

On that basis, Brazil, Italy, France, Argentina, Spain, Mexico and England could all join Germany in the top group of seeds, with the Netherlands, the United States, Czech Republic, Croatia, South Korea, Japan and Paraguay in the second group.

TOUGHER ZONE

Ecuador, Switzerland, Tunisia, Saudi Arabia, Poland, Iran, Costa Rica and Portugal are contenders for Pool Three while Ukraine, Serbia & Montenegro, Ivory Coast, Australia, Ghana, Trinidad & Tobago, Togo and Angola -- the lowest ranked side in the competition with a FIFA ranking of 62nd in the world -- making up Pool Four.

The system, though, is a flawed one because the FIFA rankings unfairly reward countries like Mexico and the United States who win most of their matches against weaker regional opposition.

European nations like the Netherlands and Portugal are penalised because, from a far tougher qualifying zone, they have missed out on recent World Cups.

Lobbying for position has already started with the likes of U.S. coach Bruce Arena and Portugal coach Luiz Felipe Scolari, who won the World Cup with his native Brazil in 2002, saying their teams deserve to be among the top seeds.

The Organising Committee will have the final say although FIFA president Sepp Blatter hinted recently that there could be some surprises in the seedings when he said: "I think the national teams of Holland and England have reason to be worried. Even Italy might not get a place."

Friday's draw will be in stark contrast to the one made for the 1974 finals when the World Cup was held in West Germany.

Then, 200 guests were present in Hessian radio's main broadcast studio in Frankfurt to see 16 teams placed in four groups in a short ceremony that lasted about 15 minutes.

On Friday around 3,700 people including 1,000 media will be in the auditorium at the huge trade fair hall which is being transformed into a football stadium for the occasion.

Adidas will be unveiling the official World Cup match ball in a ceremony presented by talkshow host and sports journalist Reinhold Beckmann and assisted by German model Heidi Klum.

Next year's finals begin on June 9 and end on July 9 with the final at the Olympic Stadium in Berlin.

Updated on Mo

Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 05, 2005, 03:13:54 PM »
Oh jeezan Bally...

Dat story post about 5 times arready in this thread alone

Offline Trini_fan

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 05, 2005, 03:17:48 PM »

Oh Gawwddd ... Trini_fan.... of all ppl !!! yuh read de thread?

Many of dese news agencies making up dey own procedures which make no sense......

Fifa has EXPLICITLY stated that only the top 8 will be seeded the other pots will be separated by geography!!!

:rotfl: Sorry boss. I stand corrected

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 05, 2005, 07:25:31 PM »
 i hurting my head trying to find out how them pools could make sense since all the concacaf teams could end up in 1 group never to know ppl just making up thing steupssssssssss ah waiting for friday all guessing done
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline MATADOR

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 05, 2005, 10:23:41 PM »
watch meh, I like the thread but I see no mention of Sweden in the grouping.. they did qualify..

Offline skins

• Barca4ever
  • Hero Warrior
  • orginally from san do
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 05, 2005, 11:31:49 PM »
watch meh, I like the thread but I see no mention of Sweden in the grouping.. they did qualify..

Yeah they did qualify. Since it have seven teams in Pot 2. I suppose that sweeden in missing from there

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 06, 2005, 02:59:14 AM »
So technically, since you could have two european teams in a group, there could be a group of Brazil, Netherlands, Portugal, T&T? Oh gooosh, that isn't a group of death...that is group of torture, THEN death!

Nah nah...hold on...what de hell I tlakin about...we fear NOBODY! Bring dem!!

I cyah wait for this draw....hell, I cyah wait for them to announce the seeds....and Chelsea v Liverpool tonight....oh gooooosh....

OFFICIAL: The seeds are Brazil, Italy, France, Argentina, Spain, Mexico, England, Germany

Still waiting to hear about the other pots
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 06:12:17 AM by Tallman »

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 06, 2005, 06:28:59 AM »
From Uefa.com

Five of the 14 European teams due to compete at the 2006 FIFA World Cup have been seeded for Friday's draw in Leipzig, Germany.

Élite eight
The host nation have been joined by fellow European nations Spain, England, Italy and France in the top eight seeds, along with holders Brazil, Argentina and Mexico. These were determined by using various criteria, including the FIFA world rankings and performance at recent finals.

Evening draw
Germany's presence among the top seeds was already confirmed and they will be placed in Group A when the draw takes place at 20.15CET. The 24 remaining teams will be allocated to pots 2, 3 and 4 in order to achieve the best possible geographical distribution between the groups.

2006 FIFA World Cup draw
Pot 1

Germany
Brazil
Italy
France
Argentina
Spain
Mexico
England

©uefa.com 1998-2005. All rights reserved.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
Wc 2006 seeds announced...
« Reply #131 on: December 06, 2005, 06:32:01 AM »
Germany, Brazil, Italy, France, Argentina, Spain, Mexico and England were named as the top eight seeds for next year's World Cup finals by FIFA on Tuesday.

Holland not seeded...oh dear...
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
Re: Wc 2006 seeds announced...
« Reply #132 on: December 06, 2005, 06:39:12 AM »
ESPNSoccernet

Dutch and USA unseeded for World Cup draw

England have been named as one of the seeds for next summer's World Cup finals in Germany.

World Cup organisers announced in Leipzig today that Sven-Goran Eriksson's side will be one of the eight top teams who will be kept apart for the group stage of the tournament.

The rest of the teams will be drawn on a geographical basis so that, for example, two African sides are not in the same group.

Hosts Germany, holders Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, Italy, Spain and France are also seeded meaning England will avoid playing any of those heavyweights in the group stage of the competition.

England actually came out second behind Brazil in the system used by FIFA to determine the seedings.

The system looked at teams' record in the 2002 and 1998 finals and their world ranking over the last three years.

The USA and Holland have both just missed out on being seeded.

Under the seedings system Brazil have 64 points followed by England (51), Spain (50), Germany (48), Mexico (47), France (46), Argentina (44) and Italy (44). The USA had 43 points and Holland 38.

FIFA's World Cup Organising Committee announced the following four groups of seedings for next year's finals on Tuesday:

Pool One: Germany (hosts), Brazil (champions), Italy, France, Argentina, Spain, Mexico, England

Pool Two: Australia, Angola, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Togo, Tunisia, Ecuador, Paraguay

Pool Three: Croatia, Czech Republic, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Sweden, Switzerland, Ukraine

Pool Four: Iran, Japan, Saudi Arabia, South Korea, Costa Rica, Trinidad & Tobago, United States

Special pot: Serbia & Montenegro

The full draw for the finals takes place in Leipzig on Friday. The finals start on June 9 and end on July 9, 2006. 

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Wc 2006 seeds announced...
« Reply #133 on: December 06, 2005, 06:40:21 AM »
Good so we know at lesat one of teams getting LEVELED by T&T.... We have to start putting them on notice.!
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 06, 2005, 06:48:57 AM »
hmm dis draw is very intersetin now   

pot 3 is dangerous   we hadda draw teams like poland swiss ukraine croatia   d rest  hmmm..very hard  but we isTnT

Offline freakazoid

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: December 06, 2005, 06:50:27 AM »
ok so name 1 team from each pot  allyuh prefer to play

special pot.....hmmm that means u playing brazil ,argentina or mexico
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 06:58:12 AM by freakazoid »
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #136 on: December 06, 2005, 06:52:08 AM »
any team in pot 2
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 06, 2005, 06:53:08 AM »
I going for a Spain, Angola, Switzerland....we good for even 1st in that group if Spain choke as usual.
Or even Italy, instead of Spain...Italy is a guaranteed draw if we play them first game, they never get out of the blocks early.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 06, 2005, 06:54:49 AM »
Spain  Togo  Croatia  TnT

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 06, 2005, 06:55:38 AM »
Togo, Switzerland...and I can't choose any from the first pot...they all damn good...Maybe France will choke like they did last time?

...Italy is a guaranteed draw if we play them first game, they never get out of the blocks early

That's a valid point...I remember they only beat the USA 1-0 in 1990 in the first round, then went on reach the semis...
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 06:58:36 AM by boss »

Offline freakazoid

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 06, 2005, 07:04:46 AM »
ah feeling uneasy yes pressure ah car wait fact is there are easy and hard groups thats d gospel thruth

Offline BigToe

• Hero Warrior
  • Laaaaard, ah cyan take it no more
    • View Profile
World Cup seeds released!
« Reply #141 on: December 06, 2005, 07:09:29 AM »
Not sure if this was posted already...

England have been named as one of the seeds for next summer's World Cup finals in Germany.

World Cup organisers announced in Leipzig on Monday that Sven-Goran Eriksson's side will be one of the eight top teams who will be kept apart for the group stage of the tournament.

The rest of the teams will be drawn on a geographical basis so that, for example, two African sides are not in the same group.

Hosts Germany, holders Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, Italy, Spain and France are also seeded meaning England will avoid playing any of those heavyweights in the group stage of the competition.

England actually came out second behind Brazil in the system used by FIFA to determine the seedings.

The system looked at teams' record in the 2002 and 1998 finals and their world ranking over the last three years.

The USA and Holland have both just missed out on being seeded.

Under the new seeding system, performances at the 2002 World Cup were given twice as much weight as at 1998, and the only surprise was that FIFA decided against using performances at the 1994 finals.

That greatly helped England who did not qualify for 1994 but made the quarter-finals in Japan and Korea for years ago.

World Cup organising committee official Jim Brown told a news conference: "We decided just to use the past two World Cups because they are the only ones that have had 32 teams participating. In 1994, there were only 24 teams so using just the last two tournaments seemed to make sense."

Germany will be in Group A and Brazil in Group F, but the other sides will not know their groups until the actual draw on Friday.

Brown added: "Those two teams have been allocated to those groups as hosts and holders because we can guarantee them the larger facilities and the larger stadiums in the competition."

Friday's draw will work in the following way:

The eight seeded teams will be drawn into eight different groups. Germany have already been allocated Group A and Brazil Group F.

Eight unseeded European sides will be drawn into the eight different groups.

The lowest-ranked European side Serbia and Montenegro will be allocated to one of the groups containing either Brazil, Argentina or Mexico to ensure there is no more than two European sides in any group.

A pot of the five African countries, Australia and the two remaining South American sides drawn into eight different groups.

A pot containing the four Asian countries, the USA, Costa Rica and Trinidad drawn into seven different groups.

FIFA confirmed the 23-man squads for the World Cup must be submitted by May 15 and no player will be allowed to appear for their clubs afterwards.

The only exception is the Champions League final on May 17. It means World Cup players will not be allowed to take part in the Football League play-off matches if their clubs are involved in those games after May 15.

FIFA general secretary Urs Linsi said: "We do not want burntout players coming to the World Cup. They have to have sufficient time to recover and to prepare with their national team.

"The 23 players on the list will not be available for any other competition after May 15, apart from the Champions League final on May 17."

Under the seedings system Brazil have 64 points followed by England (51), Spain (50), Germany (48), Mexico (47), France (46), Argentina (44) and Italy (44). The USA had 43 points and Holland 38.

God smiled on us thus far, may he smile on us again come Friday.

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: World Cup seeds released!
« Reply #142 on: December 06, 2005, 07:33:33 AM »
 I think Serbia & Montenegro in a special pot by deyself :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #143 on: December 06, 2005, 07:34:45 AM »
Callalloo pot
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline freakazoid

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 06, 2005, 07:37:31 AM »
yeah it posted in the offical world cup draaw thread and d special pot mean u playing argentina brazil or mexico

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 06, 2005, 07:50:15 AM »
awe lawse....they have some serious death groups come friday....

one group could be Brazil, Holland, Serbia and Montenegro and USA...pressure!

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 06, 2005, 08:51:45 AM »
Ah cyah believe ppl surprise at de seeds i.e. Holland not ah seed.....

ah beating de whole forum over de head with the seeding formula results for about 3 weeks now....

Lawwdoyy!!!

Allyuh check this post here: (I feel Bild is de only publication get it right)

http://www.socawarriorssc.com/swonline/smf/index.php?topic=8774.msg74849#msg74849

This geographic grouping can prevent super groups of death... and also as a side effect protect TnT from being in a group like Brazil, Holland, Czech, TnT

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 06, 2005, 09:17:13 AM »
I called TV6 and Dey sed how d draw will be live at 3:30 pm friday   and how dey will show highlights of it 10 35 pm         i go keep calling dem 2 make sure     buh d woman on d phone didnt song confused  she just blurt it out

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
Dutch and USA unseeded for World Cup draw
« Reply #148 on: December 06, 2005, 09:58:31 AM »
LEIPZIG, Dec 6 (Reuters) - Hosts Germany and defending champions Brazil were named among the top eight seeds for the World Cup finals as expected on Tuesday, along with England, Spain, Mexico, France, Argentina and Italy.

FIFA decided the rest of the draw, which takes place on Friday, would group teams in pots according to their geographical locations rather than their current world ranking or previous World Cup performances. The USA and Holland have both just missed out on being seeded.

The second pot will contain Australia, the five African finalists: Ghana, Ivory Coast, Tunisia, Angola and Togo, plus the two lower ranked South American teams Ecuador and Paraguay.

The third pot will comprise eight European teams: Croatia, Czech Republic, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Sweden, Switzerland and Ukraine.

The fourth pot will comprise four Asian teams: Iran, Japan, Saudi Arabia, South Korea and the three remaining from CONCACAF Costa Rica, Trinidad & Tobago and the United States.

A special pot will contain only Serbia & Montenegro, the lowest ranked European team, who will be placed in a group including either Brazil, Argentina or Mexico.

FIFA created the special pot so they could avoid having any groups with more than two European teams.

Jim Brown, FIFA's Director of Competitions explained: 'The seedings were based on FIFA rankings for the last three years and the last two World Cup finals.

'Germany will be seeded in slot A1 in the draw and Brazil in F1, and there were economic factors involved in this decision as those teams are guaranteed to play in larger stadiums.'

One team from each pot will be drawn into the eight groups in the first stage of the finals in Germany which run from June 9 to July 9.

The seedings system looked at teams' record in the 2002 and 1998 finals and their world ranking over the last three years.

Under the new seeding system, performances at the 2002 World Cup were given twice as much weight as at 1998, and the only surprise was that FIFA decided against using performances at the 1994 finals.

FIFA also confirmed the 23-man squads for the World Cup must be submitted by May 15 and no player will be allowed to appear for their clubs afterwards.

The only exception is the Champions League final on May 17. It means World Cup players will not be allowed to take part in the Football League play-off matches if their clubs are involved in those games after May 15.

FIFA general secretary Urs Linsi said: 'We do not want burnt-out players coming to the World Cup. They have to have sufficient time to recover and to prepare with their national team.

'The 23 players on the list will not be available for any other competition after May 15, apart from the Champions League final on May 17.'

Friday's draw will work in the following way:

The eight seeded teams will be drawn into eight different groups. Germany have already been allocated Group A and Brazil Group F.

Eight unseeded European sides will be drawn into the eight different groups.

The lowest-ranked European side Serbia and Montenegro will be allocated to one of the groups containing either Brazil, Argentina or Mexico to ensure there is no more than two European sides in any group.

A pot of the five African countries, Australia and the two remaining South American sides drawn into eight different groups.

A pot containing the four Asian countries, the USA, Costa Rica and Trinidad drawn into seven different groups.

The full draw for the finals takes place in Leipzig on Friday. The finals start on June 9 and end on July 9, 2006.

Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 06, 2005, 10:12:07 AM »
So Bild was right..... they group Africa with Australia and Conmebol

and Concacaf with Asia....

Serbia and Montenegro in a special pot but they ESSENTIALLY in Pot D... because no team from Pot D can be drawn with them

this was a surprise because I thought they woulda just bump the last drawn Euro team out instead of picking a specific team

So now Holland and Czech protected from being drawn against each other.... this is ah good move by FIFA

« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 12:38:42 PM by FF »

1]; } ?>