March 28, 2024, 03:05:00 PM

Author Topic: How did Anton become Don Leo's understudy?  (Read 11080 times)

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
How did Anton become Don Leo's understudy?
« on: December 05, 2005, 02:40:14 PM »
Friends- How did Anton Corneal become Leo's understudy ?
1- Was it a TTFF recommendation
2- Was it a Jack Warner directive
3 Did Leo choose Anton.

Now I am not against a local understudying  LEO, actually it is great for T&T football. My Question is how Anton got that cherry.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2005, 02:45:31 PM by Tallman »

truetrini

Re: How did Anton become Don Leo's understudy?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 02:54:24 PM »
Breds..Anton was recommended by other dan he father

de man have real knowledge adn dis may just be what he needs to take him over de edge and make him a really good coach.

Anton has represented T&T at different levels including the Mens senior team.

He also distinguished himself in college.

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 03:23:45 PM »

de man have real knowledge adn dis may just be what he needs to take him over de edge and make him a really good coach.

Truetrini,

so that makes Anton Corneal as a good replacement for Leo Beenhakker when he leaves the Soca Warriors?  All you say there I eh hear nuttin yet to reccomend him as a National Senior Team coach.  And far less, as a National Senior Team coach for a country with an apperance at a World Cup Finals (which we will be come June 2006).

Yuh boy hadda cut he teeth somewhere else bossman.  Not with the Soca Warriors.  Take a St. Vincent, St. Kitts, Haiti or Barbados (or even Panama) to start off with, prove yourself, and then come and talk to us. 

Good coach in your opinion or not, we are not a practice team for him to learn on.  And by learn I mean as a National SENIOR TEAM Coach, not national youth level, club or otherwise.

Come again.

TrinInfinite

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 03:32:18 PM »
whappen tuh stephan hart? he shoulda been de man tuh get de nod 4 dis, he have more knowledge and expertise than corneal by far

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005, 03:33:30 PM »

Truetrini,

so that makes Anton Corneal as a good replacement for Leo Beenhakker when he leaves the Soca Warriors?  All you say there I eh hear nuttin yet to reccomend him as a National Senior Team coach.  And far less, as a National Senior Team coach for a country with an apperance at a World Cup Finals (which we will be come June 2006).

Yuh boy hadda cut he teeth somewhere else bossman.  Not with the Soca Warriors.  Take a St. Vincent, St. Kitts, Haiti or Barbados (or even Panama) to start off with, prove yourself, and then come and talk to us.  

Good coach in your opinion or not, we are not a practice team for him to learn on.  And by learn I mean as a National SENIOR TEAM Coach, not national youth level, club or otherwise.

Come again.

Ah want to agree that Anton might not be ready for the senior team job after the World Cup.  I think we should go with one of the asssitants first and allow him to serve as an apprentice for another campaign before we even considering turning the job over to a local coach.  Men ain't realize the organization Beenie bring to this campaign.  Logistics is just as important as coaching, and our local coaches lack that foresight to plan for matches, especially when we travel.  

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2005, 03:41:58 PM »

Truetrini,

so that makes Anton Corneal as a good replacement for Leo Beenhakker when he leaves the Soca Warriors?  All you say there I eh hear nuttin yet to reccomend him as a National Senior Team coach.  And far less, as a National Senior Team coach for a country with an apperance at a World Cup Finals (which we will be come June 2006).

Yuh boy hadda cut he teeth somewhere else bossman.  Not with the Soca Warriors.  Take a St. Vincent, St. Kitts, Haiti or Barbados (or even Panama) to start off with, prove yourself, and then come and talk to us. 

Good coach in your opinion or not, we are not a practice team for him to learn on.  And by learn I mean as a National SENIOR TEAM Coach, not national youth level, club or otherwise.

Come again.

ha to disagree wid yuh on this one jahyouth....yuh want anton to Take ah wuk wid St. Vincent, St. Kitts, Haiti or Barbados b4 he coach de warriors  ??? ??? yuh mad or what...we cryin dat we doe have nobody local who could coach we team... now dat a foreign coach groomin ah local coach for de wuk...yuh want to sen de local to ah nudder country fuh expeirience....dat doe make sense.... Me eh tink de US did sen arena to coach puerto rico or de virgin islands fuh no experience.....So basically yuh want we bring in ah nudder foreigner fuh de wuk....an when he contract up we go do de same ting....come nah boss yuh eh soundin like an QRC grad atall.. ;D ;D ;D
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

truetrini

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2005, 03:43:41 PM »

Truetrini,

Come again.

well I am not sure that the understudy will necessarily be the man taking over the Senior team.  And isn't he being the understudy to learn from beenie man? 

By the way, where did Bruce Arena cut his teeth again?

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2005, 03:49:51 PM »

Enlighten meh here.  He started off at Virginia, then went to DC United.  Is there a gap somewhere, truetrini?  If so, please fill me in.

Offline Hyperhot J

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2005, 03:51:18 PM »
    I myself was a little shocked when I read that Anton Corneal was supposed to be the Great Leo's little learner. I hope that he learns very well and he is able to contribute and keep our team at the level that it is at now, in the future, we may have to say some prayers for that, but then nothing is impossible. Stephen Hart was the coach of the Canadian National U-20 team up to 2 years ago and he was one of the good posters from back in the days and posted under the name "SH" if I remember correctly.

What going on with him, does he still post on this site? Stephen if you read this call or go down to T&T and links up with Beenie please.

J.  :D
"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power."

Cassius told Brutus in Julius Caesar by Shakespeare

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2005, 03:56:30 PM »
"...The Special Advisor to the TTFF, announced that following Beenhakker’s decisions, team training camps and clinics will take place in England and Trinidad between now and May 2006. Similar exercises will also take place in the United States once deemed necessary.
Warner said that Beenhakker also thanked assistant coach Theo de Jong for his services and he will now be replaced by another Dutch-born coach while the ex-Real Madrid boss has also requested that youth development officer and former national player Anton Corneal be brought on board to assist from January 2. “He wants him as his understudy so that he can leave a legacy afterwards and we were  quite pleased with that decision of his to have Mr Corneal on board. ” Warner said. ...."

Ah hope this answers the question. ;D ;D
Live large and prosper!

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2005, 04:01:41 PM »

Truetrini,

Come again.

ha to disagree wid yuh on this one jahyouth....yuh want anton to Take ah wuk wid St. Vincent, St. Kitts, Haiti or Barbados b4 he coach de warriors  ??? ??? yuh mad or what...we cryin dat we doe have nobody local who could coach we team... now dat a foreign coach groomin ah local coach for de wuk...yuh want to sen de local to ah nudder country fuh expeirience....dat doe make sense.... Me eh tink de US did sen arena to coach puerto rico or de virgin islands fuh no experience.....So basically yuh want we bring in ah nudder foreigner fuh de wuk....an when he contract up we go do de same ting....come nah boss yuh eh soundin like an QRC grad atall.. ;D ;D ;D

I not sounding like a QRC grad?  You sounding like a Stay Home Sec man yuhself with that argument yuh just bring.

Number 1: Who calling for a local coach for the Senior Team?  Mankind calling for the MOST QUALIFIED individual, as well as the person with the most EXPERIENCE, none of which Anton Corneal is.

Number 2: What Trinidad and Tobago owe Anton Corneal to appoint him Senior Team coach over a number of more qualified persons?

Number 3: The Bruce Arena argument is a valid one, but one that is very much NOT the norm in International Football.  There are various levels of National Teams as there are club teams.  In order to make it as a coach at the highest levels you have to work your way up the ladder (or have a famous father like allyuh boy Anton).  To be appointed a coach of a "big time" National team you have to have plenty pedigree.  For a mid level National team, a little less pedigree and experience would do, while low level National teams will tend to take the best person that they can find with the resources that they have.  

That is why I am saying, "Anton yuh want to coach the Soca Warriors?  Show us what you can do at the Senior international level first."  I am sure that as excellent and knowledgable a coach as you say he is, he would have no problem getting the gig at a regional team and honing his skills there.  Or is that too much of a challenge or too much hard work?

By the way, you guys also need to remember that when Arena started as US Coach The Kaiser was also appointed as the US Technical Director.  Not a bad person to learn from as a rookie coach eh?

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2005, 04:31:54 PM »
I doh like to diss man too much on dis board...but a high quantity of shit is being spoken here.

First of all Anton was one of the top strikers for TT inthe 80s and 90s.

He was a member of the Strike Squd. until one day he and Dexter Skeene buss a cuss on Gally ass in a training Camp in Puerto Rico....and he then experienced a hiatus from the team. :)

He has proven himself with youth team for TT , having to work with extrmely LIMITED  resources.
When we buss a 3-2 victory over Cuba away from home. I didn't hear anybody knocking the Coach.

He is the TD Youth Director for TT. And now has a chance to understudy with one of the best at home.

Go and Coach a shit team from the Caribbean? To do what? To watch dem catch ass and say Anton eh no good.

And who de Hell say dey want him.

Who did Gally Coach b4 the Strike Squad?

Dddn't Najar and Warner work with youth teams b4 the Sr. team.

The man is doing a logical apprenticeship to groom him for the future. It doesnt' mean he'll get the job.

Besides the nomination of SH, ah find man quick to criticise but not offer a nominee.

I think this man getting Thunder ONLY becz Alvin is he faddah.

Peace,
VB

VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2005, 04:45:59 PM »
Thanks VB ah was going to say the same thing..but let me still add meh 2 cents..like some ppl doh know wha understudy means...the man going to learn from the best...and hopefully carry on the legacy after his departure..but this is in no way a guarantee of getting the coaching job...but at least he will have the experience and knowledge..better fete for our local teams..give de man a chance..let him prove heself.then we could criticize...
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

truetrini

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2005, 04:48:40 PM »

Enlighten meh here.  He started off at Virginia, then went to DC United.  Is there a gap somewhere, truetrini?  If so, please fill me in.

so where is de gap in corneal's resume?

excuse me  and then enlighten me

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2005, 04:53:40 PM »
Not all coaches work their way up the ladder regarding national teams..scolari only coached club teams b4 taking over Brazil national team. As for Corneal, i was surprised that he was selected but so far beenie hasn't made a bad step yet..so i have no reason to doubt Beenie's choice of Corneal.

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2005, 04:57:49 PM »
Not all coaches work their way up the ladder regarding national teams..scolari only coached club teams b4 taking over Brazil national team. As for Corneal, i was surprised that he was selected but so far beenie hasn't made a bad step yet..so i have no reason to doubt Beenie's choice of Corneal.

What club teams Scolari coached?  tell me that?  BIG TEAMS BOSS.  Not no second and third division teams.  That there give him pedigree.  And ah sure he win some titles with them club teams too.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2005, 04:58:02 PM »
Anton's blessing & even bigger curse is that he is Alvin son.

I've heard good & bad things about Anton as coach but the good outweight the bad that I HAVE HEARD.

Alvin may very well be behind having his son as the understudy to Beenhakker.  Matter of fact, lest allyuh fuhget, Anton Corneal was one of the names tossed in the ring for the TD job that Lincoln Phillips now holds.  We all know the kinda politricikin dat does be goin on in we football with Alvin right up there as a chief politrickster.

We can only hope that Anton turns out to be the real deal.  His efforts with the youth team were encouraging with limited resources.  However....despite his father's public excuses for his son's failure, (a courtesy he does for no one else), our U 20's were totally outclassed in California during the qualifying for the U20 WC.  Yes, they were woefully short of preparation, but that alone cannot account for the almost grand canyonesque gulf in class that existed between T&T and the other teams in our group at that tournament.

Are there better local candidates?  Perhaps.  I'm sure there are many who can offer different, if not wortiher alternatives.  Let's wish him the best because until things RADICALLY change in T&T football....no amounta bumpin we gum on this board goin to change anyting.  
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

truetrini

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2005, 04:59:08 PM »
who should be the understudy if not Anton?

And which T^T national currently has the"pedigree" that you so desire?

I eh see nutten wrong with Corneal excpet that he fadder name Alvin!

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2005, 05:03:21 PM »

So why it hadda be a local coach? 

I like what Palos say.  The man could talk the talk...  what happen in California?  tell me that.  We didn't just lose.  We got outclassed and embarassed.  That is who allyuh calling for as the next Senior Team coach?

Just like we went worldwide and look for Beenie, same way when he go we could do that again.  This time around it should hopefully be easier to attract TOP coaching talent than before.

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2005, 05:04:33 PM »

What club teams Scolari coached?  tell me that?  BIG TEAMS BOSS.  Not no second and third division teams.  That there give him pedigree.  And ah sure he win some titles with them club teams too.

He coach clubs in Brazil that won but how many Brazilian coaches are respected for their successes in Brazil..i am not scolari is not good..he is very good but my point is he never coached any other international team prior to Brazil and your point is Corneal is not qualified to coach because he has never coached a senior national team.

Since corneal is not good enough according to u..suggest someone for the job.

truetrini

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2005, 05:08:47 PM »

I like what Palos say.  The man could talk the talk...  what happen in California?  tell me that.  We didn't just lose.  We got outclassed and embarassed.  That is who allyuh calling for as the next Senior Team coach?

Just like we went worldwide and look for Beenie, same way when he go we could do that again.  This time around it should hopefully be easier to attract TOP coaching talent than before.

Why must it be someone foreign?  If we ever want to change the culture at home we have to begin to train locals.  they in turn can train other locals.  Yuh will neer see Cuba getting a foreign coach and their sportsmen seem to do very well in most endeavours.

The current TD feels that we need to develop local coaches so they can do the job first at the grassroots level and then on teh world stage.

so who better than Corneal..give me the shortlist.

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2005, 05:10:12 PM »

He coach clubs in Brazil that won but how many Brazilian coaches are respected for their successes in Brazil..i am not scolari is not good..he is very good but my point is he never coached any other international team prior to Brazil and your point is Corneal is not qualified to coach because he has never coached a senior national team.

RealMadness, how many coaches in the world are better than Anton Corneal?  Ok.  Of that number, how many already have coaching jobs?  Ok.  Of those who do not (or will not when we ready for a new coach) who is willing to take the job as Head Coach of Trinidad and Tobago?

That is how you go about getting a coach.  Look at the best people available, who you can get with your resources, and approach them.

Why limit ourselves to this small fry?  You eh see Beenie Resume?  It long like Santa gift list.  That is why we is where we is right now.  Trust me on that one.

Offline Teflon Don

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2005, 05:14:19 PM »

Ok now for this to happen the Ministry of sports ttff and whoever else it may concern have to fork out money like EVERY other Big sporting nation in the world.
Now this is what i would of liked....if we had enough money to keep beenie man on for 2yrs after the WC i wudda like to see latas be his assistant....I know sum men goin to cuss meh for saying it...BUT i look at it this way...latas will be respected by the players, he is already gaining experience coaching as we speak so it not going to be new to him and finally he will be learning from beenhakker who has proven that he knows what he is doing. I doh have a problem with anton corneal as a person bcuz i doh know him....but i would prefer if he get guidance from beenieman to be YOUTH team coach...let latas handle d senior team. But i will stick by this belief only if all of the above can be put in place ie beenie staying longer, Money to pay latas and beenie etc etc.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2005, 05:15:34 PM »
Some people playin moutpiece fuh TD....

Tings dat mek yuh go......steeeeuuuppppeeeesss... ;D

truetrini

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2005, 05:20:41 PM »

i eh playing no mout piece and de smiley face doh make yuh post any less offensive.

The Td on this very forum amde those comments.

Thank you

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2005, 05:21:36 PM »

Why must it be someone foreign?  If we ever want to change the culture at home we have to begin to train locals.  they in turn can train other locals.  Yuh will neer see Cuba getting a foreign coach and their sportsmen seem to do very well in most endeavours.

The current TD feels that we need to develop local coaches so they can do the job first at the grassroots level and then on teh world stage.

so who better than Corneal..give me the shortlist.

You calling Cuba big big.  How much World Cup Cuba ever make?  eh?  

Look: plain talk, bad manners.  Trinidad and Tobago is in fledgling stage in football.  We have a small professional league with questionable quality, poor attendence and only a few years under its belt.  We have a Super League where the majority of men is still mason and carpenter and policeman and ting.  That is the height of our big man football.

Youth football look whey we is: again plain talk, bad manners.  We have a Secondary Schools Football league that producing prima donas with plenty raw talent but poor technical and tactical ability.  When we take the so-called All-Star team from this jokey league we good for 5, 6 and 7 from teams of similar age groups in CONCACAF.

Where from this mess are we getting a world class local coach at this time?  Tell me that.  Eh?

We need the foreign influence to coach our local coaches, just as Beenie is doing with Anton Corneal, but still I do not think that we will have a world class calibar local coach for many years to come.

I am not saying that we do not have good local coaches.  We actually have a few great local coaches.  But is we see Bertille shortcomings in the international arena and he is one of our best, where does that leave the rest?

Until we get there a foreign coach will be our best option for the National Senior Team.

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2005, 05:22:47 PM »
So Jahyouth...u believe we should only hire foreign coaches.  U think Jack and de government will spend that kinda money forever on football. U are right about endless coaches better than Anton Corneal but can we afford them.  Anton being an understudy appears as though Beenie trying to groom him to be a good coach..everybody have to start somewhere..most times u start at the bottom and work your way up..anton or no other coach will start great...Beenie wasn't always great.

I think it is agreat idea to have a local understudy..as for the choice of corneal..it looks shady to me but that is just my opinion...i am not in a position to judge who is qualified or not qualified to be the understudy..I will leave that for Leo Beenhakker.

U mention resources...are u planning to pay the salary of a big time coach....we couldn't do it in the past (i.e. rene simoes) and most likely we will not do it in future...Leo is ah one time thing..christmas came early this year but santa is no fool.  Do u think jack will fork out that amount of money again?

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2005, 05:23:38 PM »

i eh playing no mout piece and de smiley face doh make yuh post any less offensive.

The Td on this very forum amde those comments.

Thank you

So all of a sudden now u sensitive??.....STEEUUUPPPEEESSSS...and no f**kin smiley face wit dah one.

truetrini

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2005, 05:28:53 PM »
But jahyouth, if we never put a local in the position where he/she can learn from a great, then how do we ever produce a man of quality?

I asked for a shortlist of others you would rather see there than Anton, and all you say is why it ahs to be a local.

That question alone shows why it MUST be a local.

bertille was offered the position to act as Beenis understudy and he refused.

Cuba has produced sporting greats without the benefit of foreign coaches/assistance.

They may have made the world Cup only once, but remember they are a BaseBall loving country first and foremost as well as boxing.

You make mention of the plight of our locally based footballers...more reasons for increasing the standard of coaching in T&T, amybe more will find ways to earn a living overseas.

Who si to say that if the standard of ball increases in T&T that the crowds won't come back?

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2005, 05:51:30 PM »
Anton's problem..other than who his pops is.. I recall he make every excuse..even blame the players outright after they (youth team) got trashed in the US last year..not once did anyone, including that ass for ah father he has say.. maybe ..just maybe I was outcoached.

Kinda reminds me of "the fellas can't trap a ball"..then ah good coach came in and we in WC now...

1]; } ?>