March 18, 2024, 08:29:13 PM

Author Topic: U-20 Women's Team Thread.  (Read 102901 times)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: U-20 Women's Team Thread.
« Reply #780 on: March 01, 2020, 04:17:24 PM »
What stand out to me and absolutely peeves me is the number of times defenders kick the ball out of bounds under no pressure.  :frustrated:

We not valuing the ball at all

Another thing we might not value is the lead. Not liking the cumulation of negative passes when there is an alternative positive pass with a route to goal. 

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: March 01, 2020, 04:21:32 PM »
well finally.....goal!!

Since Serrant switched to the R she has had three shots, all of them on target and produced the goal. As opposed to no shots from her L. Prince on the other hand introduced service from the  L,  whereas she was merely attempting penetration or penetrating on the R. 

(Unfortunately at the same time,  Cornwall became seduced with dribbling to the neglect of a timely pass).

I may have missed other SOG while posting or glancing at Madrid v Barça. 

I will accept donations for a charity of my preference.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 04:27:08 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: March 01, 2020, 04:24:42 PM »
What stand out to me and absolutely peeves me is the number of times defenders kick the ball out of bounds under no pressure.  :frustrated:

Another thing we might not value is the lead. Not liking the cumulation of negative passes when there is an alternative positive pass with a route to goal. 

And then they equalized. Steups.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: March 01, 2020, 04:33:04 PM »
How is a keeper of Keshwar's quality not diving????

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: March 01, 2020, 04:37:26 PM »
And the one time she dives,  she saves.  We are fortunate to advance.  A lot of work to be done.  A LOT!

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: March 01, 2020, 04:37:50 PM »
 :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated: made that too hard :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
I pity the fool....

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: March 01, 2020, 04:39:55 PM »
they need to go out and push Mexico this team not good at parkin bus......even if we lose......best we have done in a while either way
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 04:42:14 PM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: March 01, 2020, 04:40:49 PM »
Painful to watch . . .I gave up before half time. Dais we bess coach?

Tempting Cocorite, but mission accomplished, nah. :)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: March 01, 2020, 04:42:28 PM »
they need to go out and push Mexico this team not good at bus parkin

What kinda bus was that? Yuh in a different depot?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: March 01, 2020, 04:47:55 PM »
Well,  as things turned out,  we ended up playing an additional 30+ minutes of football so the issue of rest that placed us in this position was pushed to its natural limit.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: March 01, 2020, 04:51:26 PM »

dais what ah mean above, is like only one instruction she using, no initiative or creative thought going on

Playing to one's limitations. Low risk. But definitely not ideal for this level of competition, although  pragmatic.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: March 01, 2020, 05:01:44 PM »

haiti
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 05:05:53 PM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: March 01, 2020, 05:04:21 PM »

haiti

That was a fake game.  ;D Kinda like when we played Anguilla.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: March 01, 2020, 05:08:25 PM »

haiti

That was a fake game.  ;D Kinda like when we played Anguilla.
noted lol

they look more assured defensively pushing opponents than sitting back
I pity the fool....

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: March 01, 2020, 05:17:19 PM »
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated: made that too hard :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Congratulations to the U-20 squad and technical/support staff!!! :applause:

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #795 on: March 01, 2020, 07:37:48 PM »
WATCH: Trinidad and Tobago Women's U-20 defeat Puerto Rico 5-4 on penalty kicks after drawing 3-3 at the end of extra-time. They will now face Mexico in the quarterfinals.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/o2JFNBeVq9Q" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/o2JFNBeVq9Q</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: March 01, 2020, 08:28:38 PM »

I appreciate your sensitivity to the perspective. After all we're just getting back--rebuilding. I should be more gracious and patient. Thanks for the gentle reminder.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 08:37:24 PM by Cocorite »
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: March 01, 2020, 09:51:18 PM »

I appreciate your sensitivity to the perspective. After all we're just getting back--rebuilding. I should be more gracious and patient. Thanks for the gentle reminder.  ;D

Despite the rebuilding, given the characteristics of the players on the field, my view is we underperformed. I noticed some things that do not require weeks to inculcate ... some of them concern transitions; others tactical indiscipline.

What concerns me is that if our approach was that loose v PR (who we played twice), what the heck is going to happen against Mexico. Today we played 30-40 minutes of additional football that we didn't need to play.

Other than that  ...

Collectively I don't think there was recognition on the field of what the substitutions were aimed at accomplishing and I definitely think we missed a trick when Prince was elaborating on the L.  She is a fluid player. Really a gem.  We failed to capitalize on the different proposition she presented during a 15-18 minute period of play that was the moment to kill the game and done. Instead we didn't get the occasion.

Anyway, mission accomplished albeit barely.  This could have ended in tears and they would have been avoidable.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: March 01, 2020, 10:27:35 PM »

Despite the rebuilding, given the characteristics of the players on the field, my view is we underperformed. I noticed some things that do not require weeks to inculcate ... some of them concern transitions; others tactical indiscipline.

What concerns me is that if our approach was that loose v PR (who we played twice), what the heck is going to happen against Mexico. Today we played 30-40 minutes of additional football that we didn't need to play.

Other than that  ...

Collectively I don't think there was recognition on the field of what the substitutions were aimed at accomplishing and I definitely think we missed a trick when Prince was elaborating on the L.  She is a fluid player. Really a gem.  We failed to capitalize on the different proposition she presented during a 15-18 minute period of play that was the moment to kill the game and done. Instead we didn't get the occasion.

Anyway, mission accomplished albeit barely.  This could have ended in tears and they would have been avoidable.

The team seemed at a loss for ideas. Their decision making, positional play, support of other players (I saw Cornwall fed ball in the box and had to fend off 2-t defenders and no one to pass to, etc.). I know they’re U20s but T&T seemed punching above their weight (In this game against PR!)

Yeah I wanted to observe Prince and Cayla and Cornwall. Didn’t see Cayla. Didn’t stay long. 

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: March 02, 2020, 03:57:29 AM »
D staff also didn't seem to pick up on PRs back-line being being very "pressable" at least until second half, they look arguable better when they are encouraged to come tight to markers and be aggressive as a team, this side don't have the organization or discipline to sit in and defend deep.  we will lose bad if we try dat with Mexico, not dat we win if we play more aggressive, but trying to actively break up d play may give us chance of sneaking something or at least being competitive, especially as Mexico may opt to "play out from the back"
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 04:08:50 AM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: March 02, 2020, 04:41:21 AM »
YEP we dead if we back off, we may still dead pushing dem, but option B is better, energy and fitness notwithstanding
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/SOHW7XkRIFE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/SOHW7XkRIFE</a>

individually we are way better than Grenada, but we showed similar issues against PR dat Grenada showed against Mexico. like difficulty dealing with crosses

« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 04:56:17 AM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #801 on: March 02, 2020, 05:20:47 AM »
T&T U20 women beat P/Rico 5-4 on penalties.
By Rachael Thompson-King (Guardian).

T&T out­last­ed Puer­to Ri­co in a thrilling round-of-16 match, on penal­ty kicks, 5-4, at the Es­ta­dio Panamer­i­cano, San Cristo­bal in San­to Domin­go in the Con­ca­caf Un­der-20 Women's Foot­ball Cham­pi­onships fol­low­ing a 3-3 draw in reg­u­la­tion and over­time on Sun­day.

Need­ing just one more stop, T&T goal-keep­er Klil Kesh­war pulled off the game-clinch­ing save of Puer­to Ri­can mid­field­er Pao­la Morales to give the "So­ca Princess­es" the win and punch the na­tion­al team's tick­et to the quar­ter­fi­nals.

The vic­to­ry sends the Group F sec­ond-placed fin­ish­er T&T (2-1), to tan­gle with Group B top-seed­ed Mex­i­co (3-0), a 12-1 win­ner against Grena­da ear­li­er yes­ter­day in their round-of-16 match-up.

The na­tion­al foot­ballers found them­selves need­ing a penal­ty kick save from Puer­to Ri­co af­ter Tsai-Ann Fer­nan­dez, Sarah De­gannes, Maria-Frances Ser­rant, Tori Paul and cap­tain Afiyah Corn­wall all hit the back of the net, re­spec­tive­ly. Corn­wall ri­fled her shot through the hands of Puer­to Ri­co's cus­to­di­an Cristi­na Roque to give the red, white and black team a 5-4 lead and that pro­vid­ing her team with the chance.

Fol­low­ing her fan­tas­tic ef­fort to de­ny Morales, Kesh­war was swarmed by her team­mates as they cel­e­brat­ed a hard-fought vic­to­ry.

Ear­li­er, Corn­wall got T&T off to a bril­liant start, giv­ing the twin-is­land re­pub­lic a 1-0 lead as ear­ly as the third minute af­ter be­ing ser­viced by Aaliyah Prince to put the ball in the back of the net.

How­ev­er, an un­marked Ma­li­na Par­do lev­elled in the 18th minute, scor­ing her first goal of the tour­na­ment for Puer­to Ri­co, who fin­ished in third place in Group D.

Her cap­tain Idelys Vazquez (24th) re­turned six min­utes lat­er to put the Puer­to Ri­cans ahead, plac­ing the ball past keep­er Kesh­war to push her team 2-1 ahead.

But T&T did not go away and kept at­tack­ing and was re­ward­ed with an equalis­er from Corn­wall (43rd) two min­utes from half-time. The scores re­mained tied at 2-2 at the halfway mark with fans from both teams cheer­ing their team on af­ter ever kick of the ball in an ex­cit­ing clash.

On the re­sump­tion, nei­ther side could find the back of the net and was forced to play 30 min­utes of ex­tra-time and still the team could not be sep­a­rat­ed.

The first 15 min­utes re­mained goal­less but in the sec­ond pe­ri­od of the ex­tra-time, Ser­rant gave T&T the lead com­plet­ing a flick-on by Alex­cia Ali, send­ing the ball high in­to the net.

Again, Puer­to Ri­co was for­tu­nate to equalise thanks to Cristi­na Tor­res in 111th minute of the sea-saw con­test which meant the match had to be de­cid­ed from the penal­ty spot and it was T&T who emerged vic­to­ri­ous.

Yes­ter­day's Re­sults - Round of 16

T&T 3 (Afiyah Corn­wall 3rd, 43rd Maria-Frances Ser­rant 106th) vs Puer­to Ri­co 3 (Ma­li­na Par­do 18th, Idelys Vazquez 24th, Cris­t­ian Tor­res 111th).

*—Trinidad and Tobago win 5-4 via kicks from the penalty spot.  -  View Match Highlights  /  View Full Match

Mexico 12 (Mariel Román 11, Alison Gonzáles 12, 26, Reyna Reyes 21, Treasher Valcin 36 Own-Goal, 56 Own-Goal, Karla Zempoalteca 58, Gabriela Juárez 72, Nicole Pérez 73, 83, Maricarmen Reyes 78, Nayeli Díaz 89), Grenada 1 (Sheranda Charles 49)

Haiti 12 (Estericove Joseph 2, Valentina Ornis 16, 38, 67, Dayana Pierre 20, Melchie Dumornay 24, 25, 33 pen, 52-Pen, Ruthny Mathurin 48, Mirlene Dorce 82, Flero Supris 88), Barbados 0

(Teams)

Trinidad and Tobago (4-2-3-1): 1.K’lil Keshwar (GK); 15.Arnelle Douglas, 5.Tsai-Anne Fernandez, 4.Latifha Pascall, 11.Chrissy Mitchell; 6.Aaliyah Pascall (13.Megan Rampersad 97), 7.Sarah De Gannes; 19.Aaliyah Prince (20.Tori Paul 105), 12.Cayla McFarlane (10.Alexcia Ali 61), 8.Maria-Frances Serrant; 9.Afiyah Cornwall (captain).

Unused substitutes: 18.Chelsea Ramnauth (GK), 2.Roshun Williams, 3.Nathifa Hackshaw, 14.Moenesa Mejias, 16.Sydni Greaves, 17.Cecile Loraine.

Coach: Richard Hood.

Puerto Rico (4-3-3): 1.Cristina Roque (GK); 3.Leilany Rivera, 2.Alondra Nieves, 15.Belerica Oquendo, 6.Julia Rodríguez; 9.Ana María Díaz (8.María Colón 64), 5.Gabrielle Cimino (19.Caileen Almeida 95), 4.Idelys Vázquez (captain); 16.Paola Morales, 7.Malina Pardo, 11.Cristina Torres.

Unused substitutes: 18.Cristina Nazario (GK), 10.Mariana Varela, 12.Andrea Santiago, 13.Mikaela Jennings, 14.Sofía Goytia, 17.Zoemi Cobián, 20.Valeria Pomales.

Coach: Elias Llabres.

Top Scorers

10—Melchie Dumornay [2 pen] (Haiti),

8—Jody Brown [1 pen] (Jamaica), Mia Fishel (USA),

7—Valentina Ornis (Haiti), Afiyah Cornwall (T&T),

5—Alison Gonzales [1 pen] (Mexico), Brianna Pinto (USA),

4—Tanya Boychuk (Canada), Dayana Pierre, Florsie Joseph (Haiti), Marlee Fray (Jamaica), Summer Yates, Trinity Rodman (USA),

3—Alissa Oviedo, Mía Asenjo (Dominican Republic), Aubrey Narine (Guyana), Lacey Murray (Jamaica), Maria-Frances Serrant (T&T).

RELATED NEWS

Klil keeps T&T in the hunt.
TTFA Media.

Trinidad and Tobago’s Under 20 Women’s team put on their biggest show of resilience at the CONCACAF Under 20 Women’s championship to pull off a 5-4 victory on penalty kicks over Puerto Rico at the Estadio Panamericano on Sunday to seal their spot int the quarter finals.

The win came when goalkeeper Kill Keshwar made a stop diving to her right to deny Puerto Rico on their fifth attempt by Paola Morales. Before that Afiyah Cornwall notched a double in regulation time and Maria Frances Serrant pushed T&T 3-2 ahead in extra time before the stubborn Puerto Ricans drew level to force the game into penalties.

Senior team forward Aaliyah Prince was a force throughout and caused problems for the Puerto Rican defence. She helped put T&T off on the right note when her ball from the right found Cornwall who made no mistake in the second minute.

The early goal did not break Puerto Rico as they persisted and eventually saw their efforts pay off as T&T appeared to have taken their feet off the gas once they went ahead. Puerto Rico tied it in the 18th minute through forward Malina Pardo on an assist by Cristina Torres. Six minutes passed and Puerto Rico were celebrating again. Morales was involved on the right, pulling the ball back for Idelys Vázquez to fire past Keshwar from inside the area.

T&T would keep their cool and found the equaliser moments before the break with Cornwall connected with a Chrissy Mitchell right side delivery to slot home for the equaliser on 43 minutes. The game was turning out to be a far different affair from the 3-0 win for T&T prior to the tournament.

Both teams appeared jaded as the second half progressed and T&T had only themselves to blame for not taking the lead. Cornwall received one behind the defence from Latifha Pascall and with only the ‘keeper to beat, she shot wide of right upright. Pascall was at it again four minutes from the end, this time playing one through for Serrant but her low effort was well saved by goalkeeper Cristina Roque.

Serrant went close again in the 104th minute on a Megan Rampersad delivery but she would make amends early in the second half of extra time. Substitute Alexcia Ali got a touch on Pascall’s free kick and Serrant found herself in position to shot home for a 4-3 lead. The game wasn’t over quite yet as Torres had other things in mind, rising to meet a free kick and head past Keshwar. Scores tied and onto penalties.

T&T never showed nerves as all five kickers converted including Cornwall’s whose fifth kick turned out to be the winner before Keshwar came up big with the save. T&T’s penalty scorers were Tsai Ann Fernandez, Sarah De Gannes, Serrant, Tori Paul and Cornwall convened T&T’s kicks in that order. Keshwar then made the play of the game to spark wild celebrations in the T&T camp.

Hood later commended his players on the win but didn’t appear too thrilled with the team’s inability to contain the opponent.

“Of course I’m happy with the result. We have crossed the hurdle to get into the quarter finals which was our main objective coming into he tournament,” Hood told TTFA Media.

“We achieved the main objective, the objective of the technical committee which was getting to the quarter finals, My main objective was to get into the semi finals and we are still on course for that. I was not happy with the performance because I felt we did not stick to the game plan particularly in the first half. We were allowing the opponent way too much time on the ball and of course giving them the opportunity to hurt us with quality passes and runs. Additionally our defence did not handle the movement of the opponent very well. I think we corrected it a bit in the second half but again allowing that goal in injury time was a bit of a heartbreaker for us.

“The girls work hard and I’m happy about that. I am proud of the resilience shown. But we really could have worked smarter and I would have liked to see us stick to what we were supposed to do throughout. But I’m happy with the result. We have achieved the goal of getting to the quarter finals. Now we look towards preparing well for that quarter final and look to see what we can do against who would be the favourites, the Mexicans. They are a quality team and of course we have our work cut out. I don’t think it is impossible. At this stage of the tournament anything is possible. And if we prepare well and we recover well, have our plan and stick to our plan then anything is possible in the quarter finals.

Hood also commended the five players for their manner in which they approached the penalty kicks.

“I think the five kickers showed tremendous confidence and poise after 120 minutes of football to rise above everything and compose themselves to finish in the manner that they did. We only practiced penalties on two occasions in the previous two sessions and it was really a tremendous feat or them to execute as professionally as they did. I was of course also proud of the brilliance displayed by Klil, ” he said.

“The girl have now earned much deserved day off to recuperate after a tough 120 minutes before we get back onto the training pitch on Tuesday.”

Team manager Maylee Attin-Johnson, a former Under 20 player herself right through to senior level, said the most pleasing aspect for her was the character displayed by skipper Cornwall and her teammates.

“As poorly as we played what I was most proud of about the young ladies was their resilience and determination to never give up and to fight through a gruelling 90 plus minutes to come out of and still have the lead and confidence to score all five kicks. For us and what I know about tournament football is not about how good you look or how good you perform but it’s just about getting the job done and we were able to do that today and now we look forward to the game on Wednesday.

T&T will meet Mexico who ran out 12-1 winners over Grenada in their Round of 16 clash.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 05:04:01 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: March 02, 2020, 07:43:34 AM »
Rachael Thompson-King, I doh know that "thrilling" accurately describes the match,  buh say wha ...

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: March 02, 2020, 07:56:45 AM »

Other than that  ...

The team seemed at a loss for ideas. Their decision making, positional play, support of other players (I saw Cornwall fed ball in the box and had to fend off 2-t defenders and no one to pass to, etc.). I know they’re U20s but T&T seemed punching above their weight (In this game against PR!)

Yeah I wanted to observe Prince and Cayla and Cornwall. Didn’t see Cayla. Didn’t stay long. 

I don't disagree with you.  I give them a slight pass on the ideas because it's common for players to get locked into routines until coaches unlock them from those mental prisons or grant them permission to leggo de dogs. I get the sense that the sideline was locked in a mental prison itself. I have a bigger beef with the positional play, support issues and some aspects of group defending. Also think the attackers need to be chastised for not taking earlier attempts on goal.  Extra touches in the penalty area are a luxury and not needed.  Read the movement of the GK and strike when the keeper isn't set.  Each additional touch works against you.  Look at Dumornay she doesn't linger on the ball.

Also,  I wasn't impressed with the quality of several of the penalties taken by both teams.  I thought several were poor (for this stage but maybe it's CONCACAF reality) although they ended up in the net.

Other thing: remember when CR7 was slated as the last player to kick a PK and he didn't receive the opportunity because the matter was decided before he could be influential? Let's say I wasn't a fan of Cornwall kicking down the order.  That decision may need to be revisited.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 08:06:50 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: March 02, 2020, 08:51:48 AM »

Other thing: remember when CR7 was slated as the last player to kick a PK and he didn't receive the opportunity because the matter was decided before he could be influential? Let's say I wasn't a fan of Cornwall kicking down the order.  That decision may need to be revisited.

agree with this d captain shoulda be first to middle given that she is d "Talisman" of sorts

as of d pens 1 or 2 were actually quite clever on both sides, risky, but clever IMO
I pity the fool....

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: March 02, 2020, 03:33:23 PM »

Other than that  ...

I don't disagree with you.  I give them a slight pass on the ideas because it's common for players to get locked into routines until coaches unlock them from those mental prisons or grant them permission to leggo de dogs. I get the sense that the sideline was locked in a mental prison itself. I have a bigger beef with the positional play, support issues and some aspects of group defending. Also think the attackers need to be chastised for not taking earlier attempts on goal.  Extra touches in the penalty area are a luxury and not needed.  Read the movement of the GK and strike when the keeper isn't set.  Each additional touch works against you.  Look at Dumornay she doesn't linger on the ball.

Also,  I wasn't impressed with the quality of several of the penalties taken by both teams. I thought several were poor (for this stage but maybe it's CONCACAF reality) although they ended up in the net.

Totally agree! Thankfully they pulled through this one.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #806 on: March 03, 2020, 07:38:44 AM »
Hood to make changes for Mexico.
By Walter Alibey (Guardian).

Na­tion­al Un­der-20 Women's coach Richard Hood is set to make a few changes to his de­fen­sive struc­ture ahead of Wednes­day's dif­fi­cult quar­ter­fi­nal en­counter with Mex­i­co at the Olympi­co Fe­lix Sanchez, from 6 pm in the Do­mini­can Re­pub­lic.

on Mon­day Hood, the Po­lice FC coach ad­mit­ted that his team is vul­ner­a­ble in de­fence and changes will be made. But he was re­luc­tant to say what the changes will be, for fear of not giv­ing any­thing away to his op­po­nents.

The So­ca Princess­es had a well-de­served day-off yes­ter­day af­ter a her­culean ef­fort en­abled them a quar­ter­fi­nal berth at the ex­pense of their Puer­to Ri­can coun­ter­parts 5-4 from the penal­ty spot on Sun­day.

Hood was yes­ter­day high in prais­es for his girls, say­ing they have achieved the ob­jec­tive set out for them by the T&T Foot­ball As­so­ci­a­tion, which was to qual­i­fy for the quar­ter­fi­nal phase. How­ev­er, he now wants the girls to take it a bit fur­ther by mov­ing on to the semi­fi­nal stage.

"We are con­fi­dent that we can make it to the semis. I know it's go­ing to be a mon­u­men­tal task against the Mex­i­cans be­cause the girls worked re­al­ly hard against the Puer­to Ri­cans and now they will have to pro­duce a sim­i­lar per­for­mance to get past the Mex­i­cans. It will be a test of their phys­i­cal and men­tal tough­ness if we are to progress," Hood ex­plained.

The Mex­i­cans have scored 21 goals in their four match­es to date; con­sist­ing of a 12-1 win against Grena­da: 3-0 against Guyana: 4-0 against Nicaragua and 2-1 against the Puer­to Ri­cans. And now they will fan­cy their chances against T&T, whom they have had more favourable re­sults against in the past.

Ac­cord­ing to Hood "We have a ba­sic idea of how the Mex­i­cans play, but to­day I will do a de­tailed study of the Mex­i­cans for our next prac­tice ses­sion, to de­ter­mine how we will pre­pare for Wednes­day's game. We know the Mex­i­cans like to work on cross balls, so this is an area we will have to work on."

The So­ca Princess­es whipped St Kitts/Nevis 6-0 in their open­ing match and shut-out the Cay­man Is­lands 2-0 in the sec­ond, be­fore be­ing crushed 0-7 by emerg­ing re­gion­al gi­ants Haiti last week. Hood, how­ev­er, said from their match­es he re­alis­es they have to work on their de­fence.

"I can­not say if the de­fence will be strength­ened in num­bers, but I know there will be changes in the de­fence. We will al­so have to work on mak­ing the tran­si­tion from de­fence in­to at­tack."

From the So­ca Princess­es' two group wins, they fin­ished sec­ond in the Group F be­hind the Haitians, who had an un­blem­ished record go­ing in­to the knock-out phase.

Al­so to­mor­row (Wednes­day), Ja­maica's Reg­gae Girlz will be up against the host (Do­mini­can Re­pub­lic) from 1 pm while CON­CA­CAF gi­ants USA will have a date with Cana­da at 3 pm, both match­es card­ed for the Es­ta­dio Panamer­i­cano.

In the oth­er match, Haiti will take on Guyana from 4 pm, while the T&T/Mex­i­co en­counter will be the last game on the day.

RELATED NEWS

Reaping the fruits we have planted.
By Joel Bailey (Newsday).

SUSAN JOSEPH- Warrick, president of the T&T Women’s League Football (WoLF), is pleased with the performances of the national team, who advanced to the CONCACAF Under-20 Women’s Championships quarterfinals.

On Sunday, at the Estadio Panamericano, San Cristobal, Dominican Republic, T&T defeated Puerto Rico 5-4, via kicks from the penalty spot, in their second-round contest, after the scores were locked at 3-3 at the end of 120 minutes of regulation and extra times.

The T&T team, coached by Richard Hood, will turn their attention towards Wednesday’s fixture against Mexico.

Hood, who began his reign as team coach in January, spent most of his time assessing players, and scouting at the North American-based ones, before finalising his team for this tournament in mid-February.

Joseph-Warrick, who is also a TT Football Association (TTFA) vice-president, commented on Monday, “I am very happy and pleased because we are moving forward, just exactly what we (TTFA) wanted to have happened.

“We went out of our way, made sure the girls had a camp where they could have synchronised with each other…. the international and the local girls,” she continued. “The coaches were able to see them, (also) blend the team, mix the girls and get things going. We are now reaping the fruits of what we have planted. I must say hats off to the technical team.”

With regards to the Puerto Rico encounter, Joseph-Warrick said, “(Sunday’s) game was totally intense, it was nice to see the girls hold their own. It shows that the girls have the grit to go forward. I’ve expressed my gratitude to them and we’re getting ready to face Mexico on Wednesday.”

The national women’s programme has been going through problems over the past five years.

Will this team now serve as an inspiration for the revival of women’s football in T&T?

“Yes,” Joseph-Warrick replied. “I will add that this is the planning-ahead that the current TTFA is now striving, because we have the (Under) 17s and (Under) 15s who are currently in training. All will be given the opportunity to produce the best teams moving forward.”

In an article on the TTFA website, Hood said, “Of course I’m happy with the result. We have crossed the hurdle to get into the quarter-finals which was our main objective coming into the tournament.

“We achieved the main objective, the objective of the technical committee which was getting to the quarter-finals. My main objective was to get into the semi finals and we are still on course for that.

“The girls work hard and I’m happy about that,” Hood continued. “I am proud of the resilience shown. But we really could have worked smarter and I would have liked to see us stick to what we were supposed to do throughout. But I’m happy with the result.

“We have achieved the goal of getting to the quarter-finals. Now we look towards preparing well for that quarter-final and look to see what we can do against who would be the favourites, the Mexicans. They are a quality team and of course we have our work cut out.

“I don’t think it is impossible. At this stage of the tournament anything is possible. And if we prepare well and we recover well, have our plan and stick to our plan then anything is possible in the quarter finals.”

Team manager Maylee Attin-Johnson, the former T&T women’s captain, was impressed by the character shown by the squad.

“As poorly as we played, what I was most proud of about the young ladies was their resilience and determination to never give up and to fight through a gruelling 90-plus minutes to come out of and still have the lead and confidence to score all five kicks.”

She continued, “For us and what I know about tournament football is not about how good you look or how good you perform, but it’s just about getting the job done and we were able to do that today and now we look forward to the game on Wednesday.”

« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 07:47:27 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #807 on: March 03, 2020, 03:50:33 PM »
Keshwar ready for quarter-final challenge.
TTFA Media.

Trinidad and Tobago Under 20 Women’s team goalkeeper Klil Keshwar will not forget last Sunday’s match winning performance against Puerto Rico for a long time to come. But tomorrow it’s a return to business as this country takes on Mexico in their quarter final fixture at 4:00pm.

Keshwar saved Puerto Rico’s final penalty attempt to send T&T through 5-4.

“I don’t know how to describe the feeling. It was shocking but joy at the same time. We did it and it was not me alone. The entire team made it happen,” Keshwar told TTFA Media.

Already with senior team experience, Keshwar said sheer will power to prove detractors wrong is what got T&T over the hurdle on Sunday after both teams battled through regulation time and an additional thirty minutes extra time.

“There are times when you will be like you are tired but just the will to want to go on and prove people wrong was what carried us through. I was just proud of the team that we were able to make it happen and show what we are made of. To be able to last so long in the game was great. It was tiring and it was a tough mental game for us. Thankfully we were able to pull through that part of it.

“Now we have to refocus and go into the next game with good intentions and give it our best,” she added.

Head Coach Richard Hood stated, “We have achieved the goal of getting to the quarter finals. Now we look towards preparing well for that quarter final and look to see what we can do against who would be the favourites, the Mexicans.

“They are a quality team and of course we have our work cut out. I don’t think it is impossible. At this stage of the tournament anything is possible. And if we prepare well and we recover well, have our plan and stick to our plan then anything is possible in the quarter finals.”

Afiyah Cornwall (3’, 44’) had the goals for the Soca Warriors in regular time, while Puerto Rico got scores from Malina Pardo (18’) and Idelys Vazquez (24’). The 2-2 draw meant another 30 minutes of extra time, with Maria-frances Serrant (107’) scoring for Trinidad and Tobago and Cristina Torres (112’) leveling for the Boricuas in the extra period.

Matters had to be settled from the penalty spot, with Trinidad and Tobago converting all five attempts to punch their ticket to the final eight.

The other two matches took place at the Estadio Olimpico Felix Sanchez in Santo Domingo, beginning with Mexico rolling past Grenada 12-1.

Alison Gonzalez (12’, 26’) and Dania Perez (73’, 83’) both had braces, while Mariel Roman Pacheco (11’), Reyna Reyes (21’), Karla Zempoalteca (58’), Venicia Juarez (71’), Maricarmen Reyes (77’), Nayeli Diaz (89’) and own goals from Grenada’s Treasher Valcin (36’) and Judy Mcintosh (56’) contributed to El Tricolor’s scoreline. Sheranda Charles (49’) scored the lone goal for Grenada.

The day was rounded out by Guyana’s 2-0 win over Cayman Islands in which a double from Audrey Narine (24’, 55’) did the trick for the Golden Jaguars.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: March 03, 2020, 07:46:19 PM »
How Brock University soccer player Arnelle Douglas ended up playing for Trinidad and Tobago Women’s U-20 national team
brockpress.com

Arnelle Douglas was struggling when she got the opportunity to play soccer for Trinidad and Tobago. The fears that often weigh heavy on the shoulders of a student athlete weighed on her, she found herself wondering if she was good enough.

The second year humanities major with aspirations of pursuing a master’s degree in Drama Therapy is representing Trinidad and Tobago at the CONCACAF Under-20 Women’s Soccer Championship.

Douglas plays for the Brock women’s team that went 7-3-4 this past season, Douglas herself scored a game winner in September against Windsor. It was after one of her games that she was approached about the tournament.

“[He] asked what my background was and said I should try contacting the national U20 team,” said Douglas.

Douglas, who is not one to shy away from an opportunity, sent out an e-mail that night. She found herself heading to Trinidad to participate in trial sessions less than a month later. She learned just a week later after returning home to Toronto that she’d been selected for the U-20 team.

“For me this opportunity was a reminder that I am not forgotten and there’s a plan for my life to be successful. Right away I knew this was something I couldn’t shy away from, I knew I wanted to do it,” said Douglas.

Family is an important factor for the midfielder. Though she is the first Canadian born in her family, her Trinidadian heritage will always hold a special place in her heart.

“That’s where all my family is,” she said.

Not only is Douglas representing Trinidad, she’s representing her family, the values and work ethic they have instilled in her. Her parents immigrated to Canada as a way to give their children more opportunities and Douglas has grasped hold of many.

Coming from an athletic family, some of her earliest memories are on the soccer field, cheering on her older brother as he played with the Pickering Soccer club. She did everything she could to be involved, wearing his jerseys and socks to his game, cheering from the stands and somehow finding herself standing amongst her brother and his teammates when halftime snacks were being handed out. Douglas wasn’t old enough for kindergarten, but she knew she wanted to be a soccer player.

“I started playing soccer when I was finally of age to enroll, I was 4 years old,” she said.

After that, her career progressed rapidly.

“I was playing and training at a semi-professional level with League 1 Ontario as well as Rep for my local town, Darlington Soccer club,” she said.

She still wanted more, though. She sought out personal training sessions in the summers and gained the skills that have brought her so much success with the Badgers. Douglas is fast and she has an eye for the game that comes with experience and dedication.

At 20 years old, she’s still finding ways to improve.

“The entire [Brock] staff has pushed me to better myself,” she said. “Without them, I would not be at the level I am at today.”

Douglas is currently in the Dominican Republic, playing for a team with aspirations of qualifying for the FIFA Women's U-20 World Cup for the first time in tournament history.

“My team has been doing quite well in the tournament so far, no complaints there,” she said.

Douglas has played on an international level before, representing Canada in the Gothia cup when she was just 13. At 20, she is now fully able to realize the responsibility that comes with playing for a national team.

“I can appreciate and understand the world of football and carry myself with more confidence, maturity, pride and dignity at the international level,” she said.

Douglas feels a sense of patriotism and pride being surrounded by a group of women with similar goals.

“Being on the team with such skillful young women is refreshing and inspiring especially when we have lots in common with each other. It feels more like a tight-knit family rather than friends,” said Douglas.

Soccer to her is more than just a sport. Positivity, unity and love are all things she says she’s seen sport bring to her family members and teammates, all things she holds in high regard.

It wasn’t always easy. The transition into university athletics was a difficult one. She had to learn how to balance all the responsibilities she’s taken on in her first year at Brock. In her second year, she’s managed to get into the swing of things.

Not only is Douglas an athlete who trains every day, she also makes time to dance twice a week while being in school and filming videos to post to her growing YouTube channel.

She tackles her projects one day at a time.

“When Friday comes I am relaxed and focused on my soccer games or have the time on the weekends to work and film for my YouTube channel,” said Douglas.

With so much of her life being planned around soccer, it’s important for Douglas to have a creative outlet where she can have fun and express herself.

“At first, it is hard and awkward but once you get the hang of it many ideas flow and creating starts becoming more enjoyable rather than a stressful and unsure time,” she said

Douglas uploads videos to the channel called “JustArnelle” whenever she has an idea. Sometimes she’s sitting in front of the camera, smiling and telling a story and sometimes her friends join her for a makeup challenge or a fast food taste test.

Similar to sports, it can become easy to lose yourself in the numbers. Douglas has uploaded videos that have received thousands of views and some that have received only a couple hundred. In the same way that her soccer team might go on a losing streak, her YouTube channel might lose views.

“A person’s viewings can be successful and high in numbers then dry and low. As a YouTuber, I constantly have to figure out what my viewers like while still trying to be authentic,” she said.

Not only is it something fun and creative, but it’s also an avenue she could see herself using to find opportunities as she learns and grows.

Douglas makes plans and sets goals for herself, but she does believe in a higher power that guides her. Her Christian faith was something that helped her in making the decision to play for Trinidad and Tobago. The opportunity wouldn’t have presented itself if it didn’t have a purpose, she believes.

She has a home in soccer, but as any athlete can attest, it’s precarious. An injury can derail a career in just a few moments. Because of that, Douglas is invested in becoming a well-rounded person with a plan outside of athletics. It starts at Brock with her undergraduate but she’s though far beyond that too.

“After my undergraduate degree, I have plans to pursue a master degree in Drama Therapy, only a few universities in the world are qualified under the [North American Drama Therapists Association] and I plan to apply and get into them.”

Drama Therapy is an experiential and therapeutic practice that aims to help participants tell stories, achieve goals and solve problems through Drama, among other things.

That doesn’t mean Arnelle Douglas is going to be done with soccer any time soon. She has a spot on the Badgers soccer team when she returns to the country in early March and she hopes to be able to stay with Trinidad and Tobago in future competitions.

“As for now, I do see myself playing soccer for a long time, it’s something I love and enjoy and I hope I can continue having it as a part of my life for as long as I can.”
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: March 04, 2020, 04:20:18 PM »
So far so good, Serrant decision making still frustrating, an opportunity to run at mexico backline and she choose to recycle play ???
I pity the fool....

1]; } ?>