March 28, 2024, 10:17:14 AM

Author Topic: U-20 Women's Team Thread.  (Read 103393 times)

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
Re: U-20 Women's Team Thread.
« Reply #810 on: March 04, 2020, 04:46:54 PM »
Defenders fall asleep
I pity the fool....

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: March 04, 2020, 04:50:45 PM »
Ah vex. That lil bit of time on the clock and we conceded the center of the park instead of forcing them to play in the wide areas.  The least we could have done is consolidated bodies in the central attacking path and adjusted who stepped depending on which Mexican player was in possession. Telegraphed goal and ENTIRELY avoidable. ENTIRELY.

The assignment of which of our players would rotate to challenge possession was wrong.  I was watching it like a bad movie.  Mexico wasn't playing between the lines so our rotation of challenging player should have been targeted to the position of the ball and recuperating possession in MF.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 05:04:06 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: March 04, 2020, 04:54:19 PM »
I pity the fool....

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: March 04, 2020, 05:10:20 PM »
We will learn a lot about Richard Hood by how he views what's  necessary to recover from the setback he and his team worked hard to avoid at half-time I feel his pain.

HT score: MEXICO 1 TTO 0
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 05:11:55 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #814 on: March 04, 2020, 05:14:53 PM »
We will learn a lot about Richard Hood by how he views what's  necessary to recover from the setback he and his team worked hard to avoid at half-time I feel his pain.

I'm surprised that Cayla McFarlane and Tori Paul are on the bench, I thought they did well thus far. Seems like Hood went for Mexico's throat starting 3 strikers (Prince, Ali & Cornwall)....

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: March 04, 2020, 05:16:38 PM »
2-o wing play goal mex favorite go to we need to press higher, d mexicans more technical than PR though so a big risk, but we have nutten to lose at this stage

I'm surprised that Cayla McFarlane and Tori Paul are on the bench, I thought they did well thus far. Seems like Hood went for Mexico's throat starting 3 strikers (Prince, Ali & Cornwall)....

if dat is d case we should have been trying to press dey backline not sitting deep
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 05:22:03 PM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: March 04, 2020, 05:23:29 PM »
Mexicon doing exact what we failing to do, blocking d passing lanes between our defenders
I pity the fool....

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: March 04, 2020, 05:24:34 PM »
dat was no penalty
I pity the fool....

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: March 04, 2020, 05:26:46 PM »
steups....dem girls meet dey ceiling.....say what they probably overachieve if I were to be honest
I pity the fool....

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: March 04, 2020, 05:27:01 PM »

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: March 04, 2020, 05:31:32 PM »
Whey FF, number 10 remind me of you  ;D
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: March 04, 2020, 05:31:54 PM »
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: March 04, 2020, 05:40:14 PM »
I pity the fool....

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: March 04, 2020, 06:26:53 PM »
dat was no penalty

Why not?

it was, but perhaps a little soft
d contact was minimal at best

Well,  at least  you're acknowledging that there was contact.  :) Definitely a foul doh.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #824 on: March 04, 2020, 06:27:03 PM »
Mexico ends T&T U20 Women's World Cup dream with 4-0 win.
By Inshan Mohammed.

Trinidad and Tobago National Under 20 Women's team suffered a 4-0 lost to Mexico at the Estadio Olímpico Félix Sánchez Stadium in Santo Domingo this afternoon and as a result, they were sent crashing out of the 2020 CONCACAF Championship with no hopes of qualifying for the FIFA U-20 Women's World Cup hosted in Costa Rica and Panama.

However, the young Soca Princesses could very well hold their heads high as they've accomplished more than any other T&T teams did in the past couple of years. The young ladies made it to the quarterfinals and earned the right to be there by beating St Kitts & Nevis, Cayman Islands and Puerto Rico.

Judging from coach Richard Hood's selection it seemed as though he was going to take the fight to Mexico as regular starters Cayla McFarlane and Tori Paul were both on the bench, opting for more attack-minded players in Aaliyah Prince and Alexcia Ali.

Mexico, meanwhile, has been a force throughout the tournament and topped their group to get to the quarterfinals by beating Puerto Rico (2-1), Nicaragua (4-0) and Guyana (3-0).

The Mexicans, led by captain Nicole Pérez had to turn it up in the second half as T&T held their own and just when it looked as though the first-half was going to end goalless, Anette Vázquez came up big for her side and scored a 45 minute goal to send Mexico into their locker room with a 1-goal lead.

Gabriela Juárez was next to get on the scoresheet with a 56 minute item before Mexico's top-scorer Alison González plugged in her's from the penalty spot after T&T's custodian Klil Keshwar committed a foul on González herself, for her troubles, Keshwar was awarded a yellow card and Mexico had a 3-goal cushion lead.

Second-half substitute Destinee Manzo added to Mexico's tally and got her goal in the 71st minute that would seal the 4-0 win for them as they now move on to face Haiti on March 6.

Carapichaima East striker and T&T's captain Afyiah Cornwall finished the tournament with a whopping 7-goals to her name, while, second highest scorer Maria-Frances Serrant got three. Not bad for two locally based school players.

Results

Mexico 4 (Anette Vázquez 45, Gabriela Juárez 56, Alison González 67-Pen, Destinee Manzo 71) v Trinidad & Tobago 0  -  Full Match  /  Game Highlights

Dominican Republic 2 v Jamaica 1

United States 4 v Canada 0

Haiti 3 v Guyana 0

Teams

Mexico: 12.Wendy Toledo; 16.Reyna Reyes, 3.Tanna Sánchez, 4.Nicole Soto, 5.Ximena Ríos, 8.Nicole Pérez (capt), 20.Maricarmen Reyes, 11.Anette Vázquez, 13.Joseline Montoya (2.Destinee Manzo 68), 10.Alison González (14.Mariel Román 82), 9.Gabriela Juárez (7.Nayeli Díaz 57).

Unused Substitutes: 1.Zoe Aguirre; 6.Laura Parra, 19.Karla Zempoalteca, 15.Julieta Peralta, 17.Yanin Madrid, 18.Silvana Flores.

Coach: Mónica Vergara Rubio (MEX).

Trinidad & Tobago: 1.Klil Keshwar (Yellow - 67); 15.Arnelle Douglas, 4.Latifha Pascall, 5.Tsai-Anne Fernández, 11.Chrissy Mitchell, 3.Nathifa Hackshaw (12.Cayla McFarlane 60), 7.Sarah De Gannes, 9.Afiyah Cornwall (capt), 8.Maria-Frances Serrant (13.Megan Rampersad 75), 10.Alexcia Alí, 19.Aaliyah Prince.

Unused Substitutes: 18.Chelsea Ramnauth; 20.Tori Paul, 2.Roshun Williams, 6.Aaliyah Pascall, 14.Moenesa Mejias, 16.Sydni Greaves, 17.Cecile Loraine.

Coach: Richard Hood (TRI).

Referee: Sandra Benítez (SLV).

RELATED NEWS

Mexico ends dream for U-20 Women.
TTFA Media.

The dream is over but not without this country’s Under 20 Women’s footballers showing that they possessed the courage, fight and determination to pursue that dream. Perennial powerhouse Mexico pulled off a 4-0 victory over Trinidad and Tobago in their quarter final fixture at Estadio Olympic Félix Sánchez in Santo Domingo at the CONCACAF Under 20 women’s championship on Wednesday evening.

T&T were able to hold off the Mexicans in the first half as they adopted a more defensive approach, switching from a usual 4-2-3-1 to a back five including three central defenders But Mexico pounced when T&T were found napping as Anette Vasquez met a pass from Gabriela Juarez to hit home just before the break. The game seemed to break T&T’s focus. Goalkeeper Kill Keshwar had two good stops in the first half as Mexico pressed for the opener.

Mexico doubled their lead in the 55th minute when Juárez made it 2-0 with a free header at the back post following an early save from the side.

Alison González was fouled by Keshwar who made a late tackle on the player, resulting in a penalty which Gonzalez converted on 67 minutes for a 3-0 lead. Substitute Destinee Manzo then made it 4-0 in the 70th on a counter attack play which punished a jaded T&T back line at that stage.

T&T’s prolific forward Afiyah Cornwall was closely marked throughout the contest and struggled to find enough room to make an impact while her teammates fought valiantly but had to little to show for it at the final whistle in terms of the scoreline. But credit they deserved for maintaining a die-hard approach and attitude through the campaign to advance to the quarter finals.

Head Coach Richard Hood, though disappointed with the exit had some encouraging words to share about his ladies.

“It was a tough game. I thought the girls gave their all and they tried their best. We attempted to frustrate the Mexicans as much as possible… defending deep. We reorganised our defence, playing three central defenders and I think that the plan worked to a point. I think conceding that goal just before the half was a bit deflating,” Hood told TTFA Media.

“But I compliment the girls on their efforts tonight and throughout the tournament. I don’t think they had anything left in them tonight following their efforts. I am pleased with the overall performance and where these girls came from in a very short time and the maturity and determination they showed to try and work towards the plan we devised for them.”

Hood said there were promising signs from this bunch indicating that there were a few senior team potentials in it.

“I think that some of these girl are definitely future national senior women players. I would say certainly Sarah De Gannes and Afiyah Cornwall are two standout players that can go on to represent our senior women’s team in the future and there are others. Of course they need to develop their skills, fitness levels and their tactical awareness and this is very much dependent on what the TTFA does from now on.

“It is up to the TTFA develop these players. The clubs can’t do it, the schools definitely can’t do it. We need to have a continuous programme with the players training at a high level and playing international games on a regular basis as well.”

The head coach said he is maintaining hopes that a programme will be implemented to continue the development of the Women’s pool.

“I am hopeful we can continue to build because we have seen what these girls were able to accomplish over a short time with the opportunities presented such as a training camp before the tournament. It is very much dependent on investment. Of course it cannot be done without a substantial investment into the programme for instance to get the foreign-based players on a more regular basis, to get international games and to have local and foreign camps,” he said.

Soca Princesses fall 4-0 to Mexico.
By Walter Alibey (Guardian).

A bat­tling T&T Un­der-20 Women team bowed out of the CON­CA­CAF World Cup qual­i­fiers when Mex­i­co fired four goals past them in a 4-0 vic­to­ry of their quar­ter­fi­nal con­test on Wednes­day at the Sta­di­um Olympi­co Fe­lix Sanchez in the Do­mini­can Re­pub­lic.

Goals by Anette Vazquez, Gabriela Juarez, Al­i­son Gon­za­lez and Des­ti­nee Man­zo con­fined the So­ca Princess­es to their sec­ond de­feat of the tour­na­ment.

The Mex­i­cans, who have an un­blem­ished record against their T&T coun­ter­parts, were off to a quick start, on­ly to be pre­vent­ed by dogged T&T de­fend­ing. How­ev­er, they were pre­sent­ed with a glim­mer of hope when speedy winger cap­tain Nicole Perez de­liv­ered a cross from the right side, and af­ter a weak de­fen­sive clear­ance that fell to the feet of Rey­na Reyes, she hit it wide of the post.

Six min­utes lat­er, the Mex­i­cans with an­oth­er clear-cut op­por­tu­ni­ty when Al­i­son Gon­za­lez thread­ed the ball through to Mari­car­men Reyes but with the goal at her mer­cy, she hit straight to the out­stretched arms of T&T goal­keep­er Klil Kesh­war.

T&T, play­ing a counter-at­tack­ing game, strug­gled to cre­ate chances at goal with their lone strik­er Afiyah Corn­wall fac­ing greater num­bers any­time the ball was played to her.

In­stead, the Mex­i­cans were re­ward­ed for their per­sis­tence on the stroke of half time. Anette Vazquez, play­ing a give-and-go with Gabriela Juarez, calm­ly placed the ball wide of ad­vanc­ing Kesh­war for a 1-0 half-time lead.

At the re­sump­tion, coach Richard Hood's So­ca Princess­es con­tin­ued their strug­gle against the re­lent­less Mex­i­cans, de­fend­ing stout­ly.

How­ev­er, they were bro­ken for a sec­ond time when poor mark­ing on the right-side al­lowed Reyes (Rey­na) to de­liv­er a pin-point cross to the un­marked Juarez in­side the T&T area, and she rose high to head past Kesh­war for her team's sec­ond goal in the 56th minute.

Ten min­utes lat­er the Mex­i­cans in­creased their ad­van­tage. Gon­za­lez on a break­through was hacked down by Kesh­war on her way to goal, caus­ing the ref­er­ee to point to the penal­ty spot. Gon­za­lez then picked her­self up and drilled the ball un­der the dive of the T&T cus­to­di­an for a 3-0 lead.

And de­spite the changes in struc­ture, made to the T&T de­fence for the match, it did lit­tle to pre­vent them from go­ing down by the four-goal mar­gin in the 71st minute. This time Mex­i­co with a sweep­ing counter-at­tack down the cen­tre, saw Vazquez quick­ly re­leased to the over-lap­ping Manoz on the left side. Manoz, who came on as a sec­ond-half sub­sti­tute, calm­ly beat Kesh­war with a low dri­ve in­to the far post for a 4-0 vic­to­ry.

The win for the Mex­i­cans means they will next face Haiti in the semi­fi­nals. The Haitians de­feat­ed Guyana 3-0 in their quar­ter­fi­nal con­test, while the USA thrashed Cana­da 4-0 for their semi­fi­nal berth, and the host Do­mini­can Re­pub­lic edged Ja­maica 2-1 for their place among the fi­nal four teams.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 06:07:38 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #825 on: March 04, 2020, 06:34:21 PM »
steups....dem girls meet dey ceiling....say what they probably overachieve if I were to be honest

They have talent and will grow. They just need to accumulate varied match experiences/opponents, refine technical ability and enhance fitness and these same players will work for us. Keshwar?  Far from her ceiling. Cornwall? Far from her ceiling. (Would like to see her develop an aerial game and complement her mobility). And so on. Broadly, I'm encouraged by what was on display. The philosophical critique is really about how the juice should be extracted, not about whether there is juice.  There is definitely juice, but not yet pasteurized.

Congrats to them for getting to the Q-finals and to the federation for seeing through a tournament without drama that impacts performances and the image of the federation.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 06:42:12 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Toussaint

• Hero Warrior
  • ...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.
    • View Profile
    • Haiti Spors
« Reply #826 on: March 04, 2020, 06:51:40 PM »
I was quite impressed with Keshwar. I think she has a great game despite the defeat.
...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: March 04, 2020, 07:16:19 PM »

The 2nd goal happened so fast/early I still eh see it. I was hoping for a different restart that would have allowed us to build a foundation to an equalizer. Wanted to see what our game plan could produce offensively.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: March 04, 2020, 07:32:48 PM »
steups....dem girls meet dey ceiling....say what they probably overachieve if I were to be honest

They have talent and will grow. They just need to accumulate varied match experiences/opponents, refine technical ability and enhance fitness and these same players will work for us. Keshwar?  Far from her ceiling. Cornwall? Far from her ceiling. (Would like to see her develop an aerial game and complement her mobility). And so on. Broadly, I'm encouraged by what was on display. The philosophical critique is really about how the juice should be extracted, not about whether there is juice.  There is definitely juice, but not yet pasteurized.

Congrats to them for getting to the Q-finals and to the federation for seeing through a tournament without drama that impacts performances and the image of the federation.

I know given time and investment, they have far to go, but given the constraints re this tourney they met their ceiling, didn' mean to come off as disparaging d effort, but at THIS stage of their program all things considered, yeah, ceiling but plenty to work with in terms of raising and even breaking said ceiling
I pity the fool....

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: March 04, 2020, 07:35:12 PM »
I was quite impressed with Keshwar. I think she has a great game despite the defeat.

Fully agree.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: March 04, 2020, 08:34:44 PM »
Whey FF, number 10 remind me of you  ;D

Boy I miss everything. Had a session and then parent meetings
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: March 06, 2020, 04:13:07 PM »
Ah know we interest in this gone eh but ah few minutes in and d speed and press of the Haitians givin Mexico beans at times but d technical quality of mexico starting to shine through
I pity the fool....

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: March 06, 2020, 06:38:10 PM »
save and a miss in penalties Haiti are out Mex qualify
I pity the fool....

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: March 06, 2020, 08:23:10 PM »
WATCH: Head Coach Richard Hood, Team Manager Maylee Attin-Johnson and Captain Afiyah Cornwall talk about the performance of the Trinidad and Tobago Women's U-20 team at the the 2020 Concacaf Women's U-20 Championship in the Dominican Republic

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/u667eL2Y8SE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/u667eL2Y8SE</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: March 06, 2020, 09:02:19 PM »
Enjoyable match between Haiti and Mexico. I want to recognize the Haitian posters and salute the calibre of performances that were delivered. Takeaways for us? Multiple. Big up, Haiti! 

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #835 on: March 07, 2020, 08:45:18 AM »
Hood urges further development for T&T U-20 women.
T&T Guardian Reports.

RICHARD HOOD, coach of the T&T Under-20 women’s football team, expressed his disappointment after the squad were beaten 4-0 on Wednesday by Mexico in the CONCACAF Under-20 Women’s Championships, in the Dominican Republic.

“It was a tough game,” said Hood. “I thought the girls gave their all and they tried their best. We attempted to frustrate the Mexicans as much as possible… defending deep. We reorganised our defence, playing three central defenders and I think that the plan worked to a point. I think conceding that goal just before the half was a bit deflating.

“But I compliment the girls on their efforts tonight and throughout the tournament. I don’t think they had anything left in them tonight following their efforts. I am pleased with the overall performance and where these girls came from in a very short time and the maturity and determination they showed to try and work towards the plan we devised for them.”

Hood said there were promising signs from this bunch indicating that there were a few women’s team potentials in it.

“I think that some of these girl are definitely future national women players. I would say certainly Sarah De Gannes and Afiyah Cornwall are two standout players that can go on to represent our women’s team in the future and there are others. Of course they need to develop their skills, fitness levels and their tactical awareness and this is very much dependent on what the TTFA (TT Football Association) does from now on.

“It is up to the TTFA develop these players. The clubs can’t do it, the schools definitely can’t do it. We need to have a continuous programme with the players training at a high level and playing international games on a regular basis as well.”

The coach said he is maintaining hopes that a programme will be implemented to continue the development of the Women’s pool.

“I am hopeful we can continue to build because we have seen what these girls were able to accomplish over a short time with the opportunities presented such as a training camp before the tournament. It is very much dependent on investment. Of course it cannot be done without a substantial investment into the programme for instance to get the foreign-based players on a more regular basis, to get international games and to have local and foreign camps,” he said.

U-20 Women's Team return from CONCACAF Championship

Offline Toussaint

• Hero Warrior
  • ...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.
    • View Profile
    • Haiti Spors
« Reply #836 on: March 07, 2020, 12:31:24 PM »
Enjoyable match between Haiti and Mexico. I want to recognize the Haitian posters and salute the calibre of performances that were delivered. Takeaways for us? Multiple. Big up, Haiti! 

Thank you. I am very proud of them. This is the second time our women's u20 lost to Mexico at this stage of the competition.
...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #837 on: March 09, 2020, 04:26:14 PM »
No a bad pass from Alexcia Ali....

Clip here

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Afiyah continues to kick during COVID-19 break
« Reply #838 on: March 16, 2020, 03:43:41 PM »
Afiyah continues to kick during COVID-19 break
TTFA Media

All official training sessions may be off but that isn’t stopping National Women’s Team forward Afiyah Cornwall from pushing on in her efforts to becoming the best she can be.

The Carapichaima East Secondary player scored seven goals in the recent CONCACAF U-20 Women’s Championship in Dominican Republic, scoring in every match before T&T’s quarter-final loss to Mexico.

Currently back home, Cornwall is not letting the COVID-19 restrictions get in the way of her workouts.

“I am from Waterloo Road, Carapichaima. I’m 17 years old. When I was seven years old I joined a club called Waterloo Institute with coach Edna. I fell in love with the game. Behind my house is a savannah where I spent most of my time sweating with boys so it was really easy to start playing against girls. I love competing against others and I love to be challenged.

Who has been a source of inspiration for you?

“Throughout my journey my family always inspired me and pushed me to do better. My mother is my number one supporter and fan. She never misses a training session or game. She gives me the confidence and drive to reach far in football.

Do you enjoy any other sporting activities?

“I also play cricket and track and field for my school and I spend most of my time outside of that with my friends.

What was it like in camp trying to get the chemistry going prior to the tournament and maintaining it in Dominican Republic?

“Most of the players I already played with them since we were 15 so it was really easy communicating with them and getting things done during the tour. We all know what we wanted to achieve and it was about putting in the work and believing in our abilities.

You were dominant with seven goals during the tournament and also during the pre-tournament warm-up games while wearing the captain’s armband. Tell is about your style and approach.

It wasn’t really about being the captain of the team that made me play the way I played. I play football all the time with confidence. I enjoy putting out my best all the time especially when I represent my country. I love football and I love to win. I hate losing.

And while we’re on a break during COVID-19, what have you been up to?

During this Corona Virus period, I am spending a lot of my time doing personal training at home and watching lots of football on TV like old matches on replay. I think time is precious and we have to make the best of it. I have no problems being able to do the work on my own. Of course I also enjoy spending some time with my friends when I am able to.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

1]; } ?>