April 19, 2024, 04:02:43 PM

Author Topic: Better late than never...  (Read 5558 times)

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
Better late than never...
« on: December 13, 2005, 11:13:04 AM »
Justice is served, finally.....

Trinidad and Tobago was doubly served today when the CAS (Court of arbitration for Sport) handed down this decision

4x100m relay moves up to 2nd, I move up to 3rd in the 100m from the 2001 World Championships in Edmonton, 2001  ;D

Montgomery suspended two years

Former world 100 metres record holder Tim Montgomery was banned for two years on Tuesday for doping offences. The ban announced by the Lausanne-based Court of Arbitration for Sport follows a U.S. federal investigation into the BALCO laboratory in California.

The Lausanne-based Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) said its three-man panel unanimously accepted evidence presented by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) that Montgomery had taken banned substances provided by BALCO.

Montgomery, 30, the estranged partner of triple Olympic champion Marion Jones, is the highest-profile track and field athlete to be banned as a result of the BALCO scandal.

Chryste Gaines, a member of the U.S. women's 4x100 metres gold medal-winning team at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics, was also banned for two years. Both suspensions start from June 6 this year, the opening day of the CAS hearings.

The bans are the result of a new USADA rule which allow doping suspensions even if there is no positive test.

Three other U.S. sprinters -- double world sprint champion Kelli White, Alvin Harrison and Michelle Collins -- have already been suspended for so-called non-analytical positives.

CAS also ruled that all Montgomery's results from March 31, 2001, the date from which he admitted taking drugs, should be annulled and his earnings confiscated.

Montgomery won $100,000 alone for finishing as the overall grand prix champion after he set his then world record of 9.78 seconds at the 2002 Paris grand prix final.

DOPING CONSPIRACY

In its introduction to the report, CAS said USADA had sought a four-year ban for Montgomery for taking part in a world-wide doping conspiracy initiated by BALCO. The standard ban for serious doping offences by first time offenders is two years.

"According to USADA, BALCO was involved in a conspiracy, the purpose of which was the distribution and use of doping substances and techniques that were either undetectable or difficult to detect in routine drug testing.

"BALCO is alleged to have distributed several types of doping agents to professional athletes in track and field, baseball and football.

"Among these were tetrahydrogestrinone (THG), otherwise known as 'the clear' that could not be identified by routine anti-doping testing until 2003."

BALCO head Victor Conte was sentenced to four months in prison in October after pleading guilty to distributing steroids.

CAS said Montgomery had told White at an international meeting in Portugal in March 2001 that he was using THG.

"According to Ms White there was not the slightest doubt as to the substance about which she and Mr Montgomery were speaking," it said.

"Having seen Ms White and heard her testimony...the members of the panel do not doubt the veracity of her evidence."

White was suspended for two years last year after admitting using banned drugs, including THG and the blood booster EPO (erythropoietin). She expressed remorse and promised to co-operate with USADA to help clean up her sport.

The CAS statement on Gaines said she had also told White that she was using THG.

Montgomery, who has denied ever taking drugs, did not give evidence before the panel.

International Association of Athletics Federations spokesman Nick Davies said the decision was final and binding on all parties.

"There can be no appeal," he said. "We will now examine all the results from the relevant period."

http://www.eurosport.com/home/pages/v4/l0/s6/sport_lng0_spo6_sto802207.shtml
« Last Edit: December 28, 2005, 05:36:59 AM by Flex »
BORN TO DO IT

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Better late than never...
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 12:19:06 PM »
dis is good news.  too bad it will probably fly under the radar outside the track community coming so long after the fact.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 12:22:04 PM by daryn »

MickeyRat

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 12:50:49 PM »
Ah just read it, congrats Ato.

MickeyRat

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 12:56:02 PM »
Ato, what would say to a 12 yr. old who is now taking up track & field for the first time (50 yard dash), as far as training?
His school team seems to just do laps around the track and no specific drills.  What can he do on his off time to improve his speed?

Thanks

Offline TnTVillan

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Congrats ATO
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 08:53:02 PM »
His world record is erased for good, along with every result, every medal and all the prize money from the past five years.

It's as if Tim Montgomery never ran the 100 meters. And whatever else he did - it doesn't matter now.

Montgomery, 30, will also lose the 100-meter silver medal from the 2001 World Championships, a race won by former record holder Maurice Greene. The silver will now go to American Bernard Williams, with Ato Boldon of Trinidad and Tobago going from fourth to bronze.

Ato congrats take dem anyway they come.

Offline Solo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Congrats ATO
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 09:00:24 PM »
aint nutten wrong wid dat ::) mo medals fuh we ;D

Offline Brej

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 09:02:11 PM »
well done
choppa boy tim

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2005, 10:08:01 PM »
 I int want to make confusion but I find they should take the medal from that Greek beat Ato in 200 metres olympics

Offline Rymizx

• Full Warrior
  • It's a small world ! - No Really...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2005, 10:11:30 PM »
Yes, Ato

Justice is served. The British Press is not bigging this up though....

Victor "Conte", interesting last name.

Should be more athletes and names to serve notice on no?

Offline Rymizx

• Full Warrior
  • It's a small world ! - No Really...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2005, 10:21:44 PM »
Question -... Chryste Gaines part of 4 x 100 team.. How come the whole team dosen't lose the gold medal?

Offline OutsideMan

• Many bad things. *Sips Scotch*
  • Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2005, 11:26:42 PM »
I int want to make confusion but I find they should take the medal from that Greek beat Ato in 200 metres olympics

good point, breds...ah almost forgot about dat'.
The dumbest people on earth are generally located in comment sections of websites all over the world.

truetrini

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2005, 11:47:51 PM »
is plenty medals ato and others who clean lorse tuh dem druggies

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2005, 01:38:58 AM »
Thanks, all ye brethren...doh worry Mr. Kenteris is up next....fyah bun all of them who was laughing at stupid me for not taking ting....imagine I win a medal and improve the color of another one jus so...at 3am this morning, sleeping, in bed. Kyah Kyah.  I love it.  4 Olympic Medals and 4 Worlds medals now.

Anything I say must rhyme wit a OHHHHH, big up Trinidad and TOBA-GOHHHHH!  8)

LOL. Race is not for the swiftest nuh....I only waiting for them to go and get MISS MARION JONES now, too.  :(

Yeah,  I said it!   >:(
BORN TO DO IT

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2005, 01:45:20 AM »
Of course the Brits not going to make a big deal of this...Dwain Chambers was busted long time ago, and I was the big "drug sprinter", according to the Guardian article in the UK, last weekend....

AS far as Chryste that is strange, but for some reason her retroactive removal of performances starts I tihink NOV 2003 which is shytt cuz she was on stuff in 2003 when she neck swell up and she was running fast all of a sudden.  But since they gave that date, the relay silver, behind France, stands...
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2005, 01:48:44 AM »
oh no not her!!!!!!! say it isn't soooo
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline ricky

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2005, 01:49:28 AM »
weyyy boy that mean i get to see you win a medal live
ah think you should come back edmonton and go on d podium
congrats
mind you ah was so high up in dat stadium i eh see nuttin  :-\

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2005, 01:56:22 AM »
LOL. Race is not for the swiftest nuh....I only waiting for them to go and get MISS MARION JONES now, too.  :(

yeah man Ato, de race is really not for the swiftest, it is for de ones who dont take drugs...ah love it!!

Ent u came second in the 200m at sydney or was is de Brittish guy cambell?

I remember You and Oba leaning at de tape was dat for the silver or the bronze?

maybe u could get ah Olympic title in de 200m just so!!

ps:wat bout de DVD? like yuh sticking or what? remember andre samuel wants one for sure!!

ah love it!!

Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2005, 07:58:39 AM »
All a unno cracking me up for sure.

Trini is hell. Unno funny nuh rhatid.

LoL

Congrats Ato and TnT.

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2005, 03:17:36 PM »
DVD will happen. Carnival 2006
BORN TO DO IT

1]; } ?>