March 28, 2024, 02:46:24 AM

Author Topic: Gold Cup was proof that we cannot handle group play  (Read 5270 times)

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Gold Cup was proof that we cannot handle group play
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2005, 11:23:24 AM »

I think you have it twisted...the truth is if I make a comment about T&T football that is not a popular comment, men get all riled up. One kid even started a post yesterday about banning me for the messsage board A 14 year old kid. talk about being sensitive.

ok man. I have it twisted........
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline pioneertrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2005, 11:25:42 AM »
I dont understand this post, what does the gold cup group have to do with our world cup group besides the fact that its 3 games u have to play. football is football u play to win and when the situation come where a draw is good enuff u adjust. i think the fact that we have never been in a world cup before will hurt us more than our performance at a 3rd rate cup which really people dont care about. and the team playing in the world cup wont exactly be the same team running out v england will it? Concacaf just play the ass anyway, our gold cup is a joke. friggin 12 teams 3rd places goin tru, japanese and south africans takin part where else in di world u does see dat shit.

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2005, 11:27:17 AM »
Dred in the Gold CUp we play against shitty teams and look like mess.
We didn't have half of our side for the gold cup. So the gold cup really gives no indication of what we can produce in the cup
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline pioneertrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2005, 11:32:34 AM »
exactly so men does act like they aint kno football yet, game by game, win loose draw anyting happends trinidad could play brazil 1000 times and win 1 but that 1 might come in the world cup, and i think paraguay is the hardest game for us not england and probly more important, if hopefully england beat sweden and paraguay

Offline OutsideMan

• Many bad things. *Sips Scotch*
  • Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2005, 12:14:39 PM »
As far as I see it, the Gold Cup was Beenie's first true tournament to really evaluate the talent, skill level, and mindset of the players that were available.  The tournament, although we were there to win it, served as a good barometer of where we were at that time. 

What we also need to remember, is that to a lesser extent in the end we realized that our group in the Gold Cup was trully the group of death.  Hondurus threatened to make the finals, and lowly Panama, played like giants, and actually made the finals...and threatened to beat the US until the very end.

And lastly, under Don Leo, where we were in some tournament in June of 2005, would be nothing compared where we would be in a tournament in June 2006 --- we will improve, because we have nowhere else to go but up.
And that's my 2 cents.   
The dumbest people on earth are generally located in comment sections of websites all over the world.

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2005, 12:50:22 PM »
As the topic of DEFENCE come up ah had to jump in....Mih contacts close to the team was saying that the Beenieman first mission when he took over was to straighten out the defence.  As a matter of fact he was saying that the defence was in a mess and the rest of the team was not gelling.

His first order of business was to play with a defensive tactic, just in order to stem the set of cheap goals we were conceding.  That is why he would always just use Stern alone in the front.  That is why when Stern wasn't scoring and everybody calling for his head, de Beenie didn't drop him.  As a matter of fact Beenie big him up in an interview and said he had remarkable qualities as a striker...he knew that it would have been difficult for Stern to score goals under those conditions.  That is also why Cornell Glenn was off the team as well...too much strikers for the strategy.

As the strategy started to work and the team began to gel, Stern's scoring touch came back.  That was also in direct conjunction with Latapy and Carlos coming back into the side (the latter from injury).  There was now providers for Stern and also someone to take some of the attention from the opposing defenders.  That is when we get some good runs against Guatemala, Panama and Mexico.

The strategy had to change when we went to Bahrain because we HAD to score goals, hence two strikers...Stern and Jones...starting the game.  Latas had a major role in organsing the team on the the field as well.  As a matter of fact Beenie gave him the authority to use the energy on the field accordingly for we to get the win.

Apparently the Beenie big on training as well.  He like a very intense training session, and the players who show good attitude and high intensity during training sessions are usually the ones who start the games.  That is one reason why Jack is the first string keeper.  When Beenie just took over the team he was heard telling one of the local trainers that the players intensity in training was very low for a national team.  He said usually when training a national side he would have to tell the players to go easy, for fear of damaging their teammates, but with this bunch he have to keep shouting to them  "pick it up, pick it up !".  Yorke made some similiar comments before the Bahrain game as well.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2005, 01:08:23 PM »

KND started the initial topic, I made a follow up comment, sunndenly, everyone is atacking RF. And I'm th eone who is sensitive?
Regarding defence....you strat out each and every tournament game with one point. You can only lose that one point if your defence is breached. The opposing team CANNOT get more than one point if they cant beat your defence. They could have a million Thiery Henrys, they cannot win teh points if your defense plays true to form. Any coach worth his keeps will tell you that!

Nobody was attacking you. If someone says something in response to you that is not in full support of your idea, you take it as an attack. There will always be some tongue and cheek in a contradictory response, but that is all in the spirit of argument..stop being so sensitive. It's like it's always that time of the month for you man........the same way you disagree with someone's point of view, someone will disagree with yours....stop being so paranoid.

I think you have it twisted...the truth is if I make a comment about T&T football that is not a popular comment, men get all riled up. One kid even started a post yesterday about banning me for the messsage board A 14 year old kid. talk about being sensitive. And by teh way, has anyone here ever agreed with my point of view? surely not you!

RF, u are coming off like an idiot....go back and read the posts and see you were the first to cry when someone responded to your posts. it was not even argumentative or derogatory and you started a hissy fit. calm down RF. not everyone is out to get you. just calm down man...you are a big man...so relax and talk football. don't use nstances in the past when men cry you down to think every response to your posts that doh agree fully is a verbal attack.
KND is staing the obvious...but I have to agree with Kicker about the elimination aspect of the WC, even during the group stages.

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
  • "Hands that help are holier than lips that pray"
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2005, 02:15:05 PM »
As the topic of DEFENCE come up ah had to jump in....Mih contacts close to the team was saying that the Beenieman first mission when he took over was to straighten out the defence.  As a matter of fact he was saying that the defence was in a mess and the rest of the team was not gelling.

His first order of business was to play with a defensive tactic, just in order to stem the set of cheap goals we were conceding. 

That does not mean that defense is more important than attack.

That says two things:

1. either it means in Beenhakker's opinion defense is more important than attack

or

2. relative to our attacking play or defensive play was lacking more and hence needed more immediate attention

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2005, 02:19:20 PM »
As the topic of DEFENCE come up ah had to jump in....Mih contacts close to the team was saying that the Beenieman first mission when he took over was to straighten out the defence.  As a matter of fact he was saying that the defence was in a mess and the rest of the team was not gelling.

His first order of business was to play with a defensive tactic, just in order to stem the set of cheap goals we were conceding. 

That says two things:

1. either it means in Beenhakker's opinion defense is more important than attack

or

2. relative to our attacking play or defensive play was lacking more and hence needed more immediate attention

I don't think he was trying to say that defense is the more important than offense. I think he was just giving us the low down of how things went in the Gold Cup, from someone who was close to the team.

Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
  • "Hands that help are holier than lips that pray"
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2005, 02:30:04 PM »

That says two things:

or

I don't think he was trying to say that defense is the more important than offense. I think he was just giving us the low down of how things went in the Gold Cup, from someone who was close to the team.

Seen
« Last Edit: December 20, 2005, 02:32:35 PM by dwn »

Offline Warrior till death

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIOR NATION MEMBER #4
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2005, 02:53:16 PM »
OUR PERFORMANCE WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER IF:
1.DWIGHT WAS DERE
2.LATAS WAS DERE
TWO VERY IMPORTANT FACTORS

TYHAT GOLD CUP WAS JUST AN EXPERIMENTATION OF OUR NON-REGULAR PLAYERS TO GET A CHANCE TO SHOW THAT THEY DESERVED TO BE IN THE STARTING LINE UP

Offline dumpalewie

• Lewie
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2005, 04:49:42 PM »
KND's reasoning about the approach to the first round is good.

The problem is the title of the thread.

The Gold Cup was an experimental tournament for us. The team was not our best and appeared disjointed at times.

I do agree that our team defense was our achilles heel. So far the team has been doing a better job of increasing the pressure on teams and we still have some ways to go improving that aspect of our game.

Having said that, I would vehemently agree with a complete defensive approach to the games. Jamaica tried that and got nowhere. In fact all of the African teams that got anywhere, plus S. Korea, did not use this approach. What we need is discipline, a la the US approach. We need to attack and defend as a team.

The disciplined team approach is Beenie's best lesson to our team.
TnT Patriot

Offline BigToe

• Hero Warrior
  • Laaaaard, ah cyan take it no more
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2005, 01:09:17 AM »
Playing to come out of a group is an art in it of itself

It is a lot different than playing Head to head or playing in the hex.

Our performance in the Gold Cup was poor and we could not recover to come out of the group even though we had great expectations.

Our limited experience in group type play will hurt us.

Unless we are able to start strong and beat sweeden we will have problems because chasing the game will not help our defensive situation against paraguary or England.

Our Entire focus must be to find a way to pick up points against Sweeden and paraguary.

for group play you have to play from in front
We cannot come on strong like we did in the Hex

if we dont start strong it will be impossible to recover.

:bs:   :puking: :yapping: :banginghead:...these pretty much sum-up my thoughts on this thread

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2005, 02:30:03 AM »
this thread is
 B S[/size]
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 02:32:16 AM by Themanfriday »
Born in SanDo