April 29, 2024, 10:06:06 AM

Author Topic: Stern John Skills Programme Thread.  (Read 10675 times)

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Stern John Skills Programme Thread.
« on: April 23, 2005, 02:38:24 AM »
Arima Boys RC among winners in Stern John Skills Programme.
By: Trevor Burnett.

Arima Boys RC School, six times National Primary Schools Football champions, collected the Stern John National Primary School Football Skills title last Wednesday.
The competition catered for school boys and girls under the age of 11.
The zonal winners were Scarborough RC-Tobago; Newtown Boys RC-Port of Spain; Arima Boys RC-St George; Cunapo RC-North Eastern; Carapaichima RC-Caroni; Holy Trinity AC-South Eastern; Vos Government-Victoria; Point Fortin Government and Palo Seco Government-St Patrick.
Among the Girls, the Most Valuable Player was Tanya Harris of Maria Regina Grade School, Port of Spain and in the Boys category Nigel John of Holy Trinity AC copped the MVP award.
The prize for the Most Valuable Goalkeeper went to Dwight Quintero of Arima Boys Government School.
Danny Ruiz of Arima Boys RC took the award for the top Teacher, while coach Cax Paul, also of Arima Boys RC, won the Coach award.
Arima Boys RC for their success, apart from their cash award, medals and trophies, were presented with a computer, with second place Holy Trinity AC receiving a television and third place Maria Regina Grade School collecting a DVD set.
Presenters of the Stern John National Primary School Football Skills Award Programme are Judy Joseph McSween and Mary Siu Butt and special invitees were Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation technical director Lincoln "Tiger" Phillips, Ashwin Creed of the Ministry of Education, Andrew Pritchard of the Ministry of Sport and Youth Affairs, and Leslie Welch of IBM World Trade Corporation.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 05:32:30 AM by Flex »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I remember back in d day
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2005, 09:18:09 AM »
it was always Arima RC vs my school, Tunapuna RC in the East Finals.
Them 2 school was a notch above everything in the East, most of the times arima would win out totally though,
The orphanage with them big huge 'primary school' fellas used to to give we a lill fight, and a couple of the EC school too, but even back then, the rivalry i always remember was to play Arima RC in the final.
Looks like it aint it really change so much up to now.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Birmingham Academy Director here for training stint.
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 03:04:04 PM »
Birmingham Academy Director here for training stint.
Issued By: Shaun Fuentes.

Stuart John Hall, director of the Birmingham City Academy is currently in Trinidad for a two-week period to work with local Secondary School League coaches and at the same time scout for local talent.
This is the second year of Hall’s involvement in the Stern John Skills Award Programme which started two years ago with the aim to assist in youth development and the upgrading of local coaches. According to Hall, despite John no longer being attached to the Premier League club, it was still felt that Birmingham could continue to make a contribution to the game in Trinidad and Tobago and at the same time look for the benefits of spotting local talent which they could then turn into  seasoned Birmingham City professionals.
“Last year I came because of my relationship with Stern John and the fact that he played for Birmingham for a couple seasons and I got to know him very well. He invited me to work in the programme and look at the talent over here. It was a two sided initiative. I would coach the coaches to work on the programme and in return I get to see the talented players who could then get  a chance to go to my club,” Hall explained to TTFF Media.
Skills Award coaches Muhammad Isa and Dion La Foucade have been on training stints at Birmingham through the ongoing relationship.
“It was really a wonderful learning experience and what you realize is that the organization and the systems they have in place is the main difference between them and us. I had a chance to have a look at the entire facilitie which is top class and to work with their teams and coaches. This sort of experience is definitely a plus for us because someone like myself can now come back home and pass it on,” Isa said.
Hall intends to make use of his time in Trinidad.
“This year the invitation has been extended to the Secondary School coaches with the same idea behind it. I’m also coaching players at the same time. If anybody says to me I know where there is a good player, I tell them bring him to the clinic and let’s see what he has to offer,” he said.
Dwight Yorke was the latest T&T player at Birmingham up to last week and while John is now at Coventry City, Hall added that the influence John has had at Birmingham is one of the reasons they have decided to maintain ties.
“Stern’s heart will always be with Birmingham. That’s where he had the best years of his career in England and he helped us gain promotion to the Premiership which is something we will never forget. He’s totally committed to this project and he’s really happy for Birmingham to still be involved even though he’s not there and we are extremely happy to still have ties with him and Trinidad and Tobago,” Hall ended.
Meantime, Coventry boss Mickey Adams paid tribute to John on Wednesday but hinted that the club may have to let him go for next season due to financial difficulties.
“He is a 20-goal a season man without a shadow of a doubt," he said of the player who has scored crucial goals in successive games to take his tally to 10 from 32 appearances.
"There are other aspects of Stern's game that I would like to see improve but there is no doubt that he is the best finisher at the club, given the chances.
But as to whether Adams can build a decent team around John, that remains to be seen.
"I will never get the team I want at this club and I won't even get it anywhere near," he said. "The finances at this club dictate what sort of team I put out next season. I have to try to get the best out of a group of players. Whether it is the team I want or the team I can possibly get, only time will tell."
« Last Edit: April 30, 2005, 06:22:39 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
Spalk - Birmingham Coaching Academy
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 07:44:31 AM »
Taken from Spalk Online
www.spalkonline.com

TRADING PUNCHES

Director of Birmingham City Academy Mr. Stuart John Hall

Anil: I have a guest who has just landed straight from England. I drag him off the plane kicking and screaming he wanted to have dinner, he wanted to go and relax. I tell him no boy too important. We have with us non other than the Director of Birmingham City Academy Mr. Stuart John Hall who just landed about an hour ago. Good evening sir.
Stuart: Good evening.

Anil: And thank you very much, I know you tired, you little jet lag and thanks for coming on Spalk. Alright, tell me a little bit about Stuart John Hall. I read your resume but tell the people about you.
Stuart: Alright, I am in charge of the Birmingham’s City Football Academy. I look at all the boys from the ages 7 – 21 okay. In that we have international players, players who played in the beginning, players who we sold for money also.

Anil: And how did you get into football, you look kind of young to reach up to that high level I mean.
Stuart: I’ll take that as a compliment. (Laughing)

Anil: How did they recognize your ability to coach. Where did you start? You know become to reach so high you know.
Stuart: I played football professionally and then after someone decided that I was not good enough, so I went and played in England. We call it the semi-pro league. And the pay wasn’t enough so I had to go and get another job. So I did that and I worked in construction for a short time and played football. But I decided very, very, very, early that I wanted to be a coach. I coached the game from a very early age.

Anil: So now you are at the Academy. The Premiership League went through a period back like in the late eighties like the Italian and the Spanish were obligating it. Now in the Champions League you have two of the four semi finalists and the quality of players just keep increasing. Is that how much of that is from The Academy System and how much is that from the International Players?
Stuart: I think its about everything. But the Academy has been going in England for about seven years. And in seven years its been an improvement. Long ago people said English players weren’t as good as they were and that was true. But I think now we have crossed that bridge. I think now young English players are now better.

Anil: Now one thing with the English players, in World Cup 2002 England in favour had the fastest team. Now I disagree of course I was supporting England in the game against Brazil although they lost they were the faster team.
Stuart: English football is the fastest league in the world. Some people would say perhaps the Italian league is technically as good as and people would say the Spanish league is technically as good as. But no one could agree that the English League is the hardest league to play in. You have to be able to do all the things that are required of you to do. And that’s why we get sometimes Argentineans players or Brazilian players and they are very good players. You can’t say they are not. We get the same with Spanish players and Italian players but it takes them a long time to settle into English football.

Anil: And so in order to mention that style into the future what do you focus on? Let us say at the beginning of the young age. What’s the earliest age you take them in?
Stuart: Seven

Anil: Seven? And what are you looking for at seven?
Stuart: Athletic ability and something in a seven or eight year old that makes them stand out from the crowd. We only pick about ten boys and to pick those ten boys we see about two and three thousand boys.

Anil: Two or three thousand boys?! To pick ten!!
Stuart: Now to do that you look for something in them because they got a little bit of a devil in them. They got something that makes them stand out. Almost an arrogant even at seven or eight an arrogant. But they have to be good athlete even at seven and eight we are looking for the boys that are nice and lean, athletic looking, they move well. Because at seven and eight if they are in our system for five or six years you can improve their technique but you can’t make them better athletes because that’s what God gives.

Anil: And how many people are you in charge of ? I mean do you are you a director who is hands on? Or do you just allow….
Stuart: No I coach every day. My special responsibility is from sixteen to twenty one. The boys come in full time with us from the age of sixteen. When they leave the education. And the better ones stay right the way through to twenty twenty one and then we pass them on to the senior team or we sell them or release them or whatever. I actually coach every day from the boys from sixteen to twenty.

Anil: And then what is your auxiliary staff like?
Stuart: We have a full time staff. We have an educational facility who looks after the college work of the boys. We have a Fitness Instructor, Fitness Coach, A Nutritionist, we have a Psychologist we have an auxiliary staff of coaches who have a particular responsibilities. One Coach is in charge of twelve to sixteen year olds. One Coach is in charge of seven to eleven year olds and then there are lots of part time Coaches that come in to work around.

Anil: Why are you in Trinidad Mr. Hall? I mean not that we don’t we like have you why you here?
Stuart: To drink the Carib. (Laughing) And eat the chicken.

Anil: The chicken?!! What about doubles and thing. You know about roti and ting?
Stuart: Yeah.

Anil: Alright ya better be careful. So yeah what……
Stuart: Last year I was invited by the Stern John Foundation because Stern is a friend of mine and he was playing at Birmingham last year, so he invited me to come over and I was really well looked after. And I coached the Coaches on the Stern John Project. Yeah the Programme. And this year I am back to coach the Coaches on the Secondary School’s Program.

Anil: Yeah. Well my boy you going to need a lot of help. Good luck to you….
Stuart: And I am looking for talent.

Anil: And ya looking for talent?!
Stuart: And I’m looking for talent.

Anil: Alright so last year. Talk me a little bit about last year first. What was your impression about the Coaches, where they absorbing the information?
Stuart: Yeah very good very good.

Anil: And did they keep in contact with you to as in email asking questions and so on….
Stuart: Yes a couple of them have actually been up to Birmingham.

Anil: Oh okay.
Stuart: And visited our Academy and had a look around at what we do.

Anil: Oh okay well that’s great news. And well when they saw it I mean, how can you compare. We are ways away from getting a good Academy but, in the mean time there are ways that this coaches can sort of institute an Academy atmosphere without actually having it. Have you seen improvements in what they have been doing? And what were the weaknesses that you noticed last year?
Stuart: First of all I think that, I thought that the players over here and the coaches would be very poor on discipline. I thought it would be time keeping would be poor, the attitude would be probably too relax. In England we had a culture of discipline, if the practice starts at ten o’clock and you are not there you don’t practice. You go. Same with Coaches, if your session starts at ten o’clock and you are not there at nine o’clock and you have set up and organize then you get fired. So we have a massive culture of discipline. I’ve been surprised with the discipline in Trinidad is quite good. It’s a lot than I thought. I sent two coaches here at Easter to be at Camp and they came back and said that they thought the discipline with the boys was absolutely phenomenal. You know three hundred boys can be chaos. They said the boys were fantastic their discipline. And I think it’s the same with the Coaches they want to learn so badly they want so much knowledge that it makes their discipline and concentration and focus very very good.

Anil: Yes two of your Coaches were down here they names skipped me.
Stuart: Adam and Jerry.

Anil: Adam and Jerry and they were very impressed with the kids technical ability. I think that they said that they were a little bit behind in the physical ability the agility and the speed…..
Stuart: And the understanding of the game.

Anil: So is that what you are going to focus on? Mainly while you are here. Especially with the Secondary Schools Coaches.
Stuart: Yes we are going to do some game coaching. So what happens you know in the big pitch about tactics and strategy, you know that sort of thing. The reason I think your boys technically are very good and I think the reason for that is you’ve got the same learning cultures as the Brazilians and Argentineans. You play on uneven bumpy hard pitches and you play in the street. You play on pieces of waste ground and because the surfaces are very very poor you have to learn at an early age to master the ball. In England we have gone the other way. The facilities in England are now perfect, but it really doesn’t help technique. I think a great way like in Ajax in Holland they always made sure at Ajax when they had great youth teams and they produced great players. They always made sure that they had one pitch that was really really bad. Really bad. And they made every player practice for so many hours a week on that pitch. Now, the more you play on bad pitches the quicker your technique improves because you have to master the ball and you’ve got that the same way the Brazilians learn, the Argentineans learn you know. They are brought up on bad un-even pitches, bumpy bubbly pitches and so that is a big advantage I think.

Anil: So you see stop complaining about the pitches. It’s an advantage. But I agree with that, because when you come on that nice pitch now
Stuart: Yeah you do everything quicker. Every things quicker you know.

Anil: Okay what’s the schedule like, how long do we have you here?
Stuart: I am doing a coaching clinic every day from one o’clock to six o’clock.

Anil: From one till six.
Stuart: Now it’s all at the Main Stadium.

Anil: Hasley Crawford Stadium.
Stuart: We have some guest speakers on as well as myself. You know people doing things on management, fitness and things like that.

Anil: So it’s a comprehensive course for the Secondary School coaches.
Stuart: Yeah and they are all hand picked. Invitational

Anil: Okay you start at seven. What sort of skills when you move on now to eleven do you take in more every year how do you or do you just go with those ten kids at seven?
Stuart: Yeah. We keep we pick ten or twelve we keep them together till they are nine, when they are nine then they start do extra training. By the time they get to nine they will be doing four training sessions a week probably eight hours a week technical work plus a game. In the game they would play Arsenal, Manchester United.

Anil: And you made an interesting point that you have a specific education officer, or education director to take care of their school work and so on. How important is that, because a lot of people feel hey you play football, you play soccer you feel they good they are going to make lots of money and then they don’t worry with the school.
Stuart: It doesn’t happen we have to tell them all the time that only a small percentage actually make it through. So if we have a boy who is misbehaving at school, the education officer goes into the school sorts it out with the school. We get the parents together, the boy together they have a meeting and they say to the boy if you don’t perform at school you won’t be able to train.

Anil: No matter how good he is?!
Stuart: No matter how good he is!

Anil: Well we kind of do the opposite thing. We say well if you good do what you have to do. So that’s how serious it is?! If they not performing as best as they could at school no football.
Stuart: Yes. You have to have a culture discipline. Without discipline you got nothing.

Anil: How do you teach these boys who are very good and their parents putting pressure on them and expect them to earn large huge amounts of money. How do you teach them what we call ball peong. Which is just love the game or how do you keep them focused on the game rather than what they can get out of the game?
Stuart: I think you have to educate the parents to do that. We do that with the kids but the problem is when you are working with……, when the boys come in at sixteen if you’ve got them all the time, you are a mother or father to them.

Anil: When they have to go home….
Stuart: When they go home the parents are the biggest influence on the kids. They would decide what they eat, when they eat. How they think. So, to get into the kid’s mind you have to get into the parents first. So we do what we call parents education, where we get the parents in, we teach them about how difficult it is to be a professional footballer, how the roads is shortly dangered not many survived. How to keep them focused on their education teach them to enjoy the football but to make sure that the football is never the only thing in their life. We encourage them to do another sport because that helps with all round coordination and you know we see the skills with hand to eye coordination so we like them swim a lot. We like them to play basketball we like them to play cricket or something. They are very good at cricket.

Anil: Well right now you all are very good. Don’t talk to me about cricket.
Stuart: So yeah we try to keep them focused like that. And then when they get to sixteen and they come in and they notches up the ladder. They nearly to it. But we have a saying at Birmingham, we don’t want the boys to have a BMW before they have the Ford Focus. We don’t want them to have big flash end product before you a little one that breaks down every time you get out. Because there you go pushing that car around the block.

Anil: Teaches you to keep ground. I mean we need a lot of that down here. Because you see in this small country it’s easy to be noticed so young players believe that they are better than they are everybody is telling them how good they are and then they not willing to do the work to get to that level. Do you have that problem or has it become engrave in culture through the Academy?
Stuart: It’s engraved in the culture because that’s where people like Sports Psychologist come in. We have a really good Sports Psychologist who will continually sit the boy down and them targeting programs. And he will continually try to refocus the boy and he would say to them one time okay you achieved this well done. Now how are going to get to the next level.

Anil: Right now we need the power of football. Right now no need to hide it the crime rate in Trinidad and Tobago is moving up a little bit too high and we don’t have enough structure. Now with these programs that are starting, the Stern John Skills Program and so on but we need it to go across the country. Birmingham had a problem fifteen years ago with high crime rates and it has come down has football been apart of that?
Stuart: Yes. And also cricket as well. I think Rugby has played its’ part as well. So you’ve got three big sports all trying to get into the big city area all trying to get into the bad areas, breakup the gangs break up the kids give them something to work towards and you know focus give them some practice time so quality time you know. Get them away from the negativity that exists in their environment.

Anil: And expose them to positive things.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
Re: Spalk - Birmingham Coaching Academy
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 09:50:25 AM »
Our Secondary School coaches need to implement this philosophy if they haven't already.

Anil: And you made an interesting point that you have a specific education officer, or education director to take care of their school work and so on. How important is that, because a lot of people feel hey you play football, you play soccer you feel they good they are going to make lots of money and then they don’t worry with the school.
Stuart: It doesn’t happen we have to tell them all the time that only a small percentage actually make it through. So if we have a boy who is misbehaving at school, the education officer goes into the school sorts it out with the school. We get the parents together, the boy together they have a meeting and they say to the boy if you don’t perform at school you won’t be able to train.

Anil: No matter how good he is?!
Stuart: No matter how good he is!

Anil: Well we kind of do the opposite thing. We say well if you good do what you have to do. So that’s how serious it is?! If they not performing as best as they could at school no football.
Stuart: Yes. You have to have a culture discipline. Without discipline you got nothing.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Zonal finals start in Stern John Skills
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006, 08:52:37 AM »
Zonal finals start in Stern John Skills
Trinidad Guardian

The zonal finals of the Stern John Football Skills Award Programme began last Thursday with the North Eastern Educational District finals at the Sangre Grande Recreation Ground.

The event officially started the countdown to the national finals on February 10, at the Ato Boldon Stadium, Couva.

Now in its third year, the programme has attracted 109 primary schools and 130 boys’ teams and ten girls’ teams

Muhammad Isa is technical director, ensuring sound administration and guidance of the young players.

There is an improved prize structure this year, which includes prizes for the “Most Outstanding Goalkeeper,” “Most Skillful Player” and the “Most Outstanding Female Player.”

The national champion will get a trophy, gold medals, an IBM computer, RBTT Future Fortune Savings account, football kits and Media Sales stationery hampers.

The runners-up receive silver medals, a 25- inch colour TV, Media Sales stationery hampers, football kits and company products.

And the third-placed team takes home bronze medals, a dvd player, Media Sales stationery hampers, football kits and company products.

All zonal winners will receive a trophy and football kits, while their coach gets $1,000, the “Most Skilful,” “Most Outstanding Female” and “Most Outstanding Goalkeeper” receive gift vouchers for $3,000, $1,500, and $1,000 respectively.

The coach of the “Most Outstanding Goalkeeper” will receive $750 and the winners of individual and team drills at the finals will take home gift vouchers for $200 and $300, respectively.

Action continues today with the Victoria Education district finals at the Mannie Ramjohn Stadium, Marabella.

Tomorrow will be the South Eastern Education district finals at the Mayaro Resource Centre and next Tuesday, the action will be in the St Patrick Education district at the Mahaica Oval, Point Fortin.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Game time for Stern John skills programme.
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 04:55:22 AM »
Game time for Stern John skills programme.
By: Lasana Liburd (Express).
[/size]

Primary schools converge at Couva.

Ten years from today, the name "Stern John" may be just as applicable in discussions about the national football team and their future.
John, Trinidad and Tobago's record scorer with 61 goals, will be 40 and, almost certainly, retired from the international game. It is quite likely, though, that at least a handful of graduates from today's football showcase will be wearing red, black and white colours by then.
From 9 a.m. today at the Ato Boldon Stadium, Couva, the Stern John Skills Award Programme starts the second phase of its plan to transform the landscape of local football and, according to its chairperson Mary Siu Butt, things are progressing well so far.
"We are seeking to develop players with the talent and the ability to play at a high level," said Siu Butt. "We are also trying to create a different attitude and personality for our players for the future...from the mental to the physical."
Hundreds of primary school children from throughout the twin-island republic are willing participants in the long-term project that was initiated, four years ago, by the Sunderland FC striker.
The first three years of the Skills Programme were spent tutoring children on basic skills of the game like ball control, juggling, heading and utilising space. Today, the Programme is expanded to include game situations and, by early evening, a champion will emerge from the 16 boys' and four girls' teams that got this far.
One hundred and two boy and 21 girl schools participated this year, which is a significant rise from the 70 boys and one girl school at its inaugural season in 2003.
Siu Butt, the RBTT manager of shareholder relations, ex-national hockey goalkeeper and mother of gifted women's player Stacey Siu Butt, explained the benefit of the workshop, which is sanctioned by the ministries of Education and Sport, as well as the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (T&TFF).
"Stern saw it as very necessary to have a developmental programme for our football," she said, "and we encouraged him to have it at national level involving as many primary schools as possible in Trinidad and Tobago.
"Also, very importantly, it is free, unlike many of the other football camps for children."
For three to four months every year, the organisation's technical director Mohammed Isa sends a bevy of coaches into the schools to train the students and teachers. The schools are also supplied with balls.
At present, the Ministry of Sport is the most generous sponsor with an annual donation of $140,000 while John and the Sport Company of Trinidad and Tobago (SPORTT) give $100,000 each. But the figure falls short of Siu Butt's projected $500,000 budget.
"We want to create a consistent and uniformed way of grooming young talent," said Siu Butt. "But when we train those children and develop them to that point, where are they going?
"There is a national under-17 team but there is nothing going between 12 and 15 to continue their development."
Brendon Creed of Newtown Boys RC is one player who, hopefully, will not fall through the cracks. Creed juggled the ball 335 times with his left foot alone and 3,164 times with both feet in the skills competition, while Justin Goolcharan of VOS GPS kept the ball up 338 times with his right boot.
Jonelle Warrick of Dinsley Trincity GPS led the girls' category with 91 on the right foot and 39 on the left, although she lost her nerve when both feet were applied and lost to seven from Carapichaima RC's Tonietta Phillip. Today, these players will use their skills in game situations. There might be a future Stern John in their midst.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline rippin

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Game time for Stern John skills programme.
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 11:12:18 AM »
Progress is being made without the TTFF.  Can't we just ignore them totally? Make Jab the unofficial national team and organize matches.  :devil: :rotfl: (I am a Connection supporter but I recognise what Jab is doing for the country)

Great job Stern. Maybe the Warrior Nation can raise funds to assist with these types of programs. We all claim to want the best for our country but yet when the opportunity arise to take charge we sit back and look to others.
Genius is one per cent inspiration, ninety-nine per cent perspiration. (Thomas A. Edison )

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
Re: Game time for Stern John skills programme.
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2007, 11:20:41 AM »
Nice :applause: I see the min of sports in de mix too quietly doing their thing while de TTFF still saying dey doh care about football. Good going Stern. WN ah willing to help in dis regard..jus organise and I will do what I can.  :beermug:

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
1,500 students take part in Stern Johns skills event.
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 05:50:32 AM »
1,500 students take part in Stern Johns skills event.
T&T Guardian Reports.
[/size]

Over 1,500 children from the eight education districts across T&T will be taking part in the fourth Stern John Primary Schools Skills Programme, which kicks off today, from 9 am. The Caroni District will get the month-long programme underway today at Ato Boldon Stadium in Couva.

The Ministry of Sport and Youth Affairs and the Ministry of Education have joined forces with John to conduct the skills programme for students between the ages of eight and 11 years (boys and girls).

The programme has gained recognition among primary schools, and is now used by many in its preparation for the Primary Schools Football League.

This year, the football festival will be launched to test the skills learnt, and to view how successful the players are able to transfer these skills into a game scenario.

Finals will be held on Friday, June 20 when John, who only this week was voted Player of the Year at Southampton, will be present to share his time with the young footballers and to present the awards to the winners.

The schedule

Today: Caroni - Ato Boldon Stadium, Couva.

April 30: Victoria - Mannie Ramjohn Stadium, Marabella.

May 1: St Patrick - Coronation Park.

May 6: North Eastern - Ojoe Road Recreation Ground.

May 8: Port of Spain - St Marys College ground, Serpentine Road.

May 16: St George East - Larry Gomes Stadium, Malabar.

May 21: South Eastern - Mayaro Resource Centre.

May 29: Tobago - Shaw Park.

June 20: Finals - Mannie Ramjohn

Stadium.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Stern John football festival gains ministry support
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2009, 09:41:22 PM »
Stern John football festival gains ministry support
T&T Guardian reports.

The 2009 edition of the Stern John One Day Football Festival for Primary Schools, will take place on Wednesday at the Ato Boldon Stadium in Couva from 9 am.

The programme which was established since 2003, with a focus on the development of football skills at the primary school level. This allows both boys and girls the opportunity to learn, develop and play football, while at the same time have fun.Over the years there has been a steady increase in the number of schools joining the programme, and to date there are 108 boys and 33 girls teams.

The programme has been accepted by the schools throughout the country, and now forms part of the pre season training for the Primary school football league games. The event is funded by Stern John together with financial support from the Ministry of Sport, via the Sport Company, and has received the approval of the Ministry of Education and the T&T Football Federation.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 10:47:56 PM by E-man »
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
Re: Stern John football festival gains ministry support
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2009, 01:17:42 AM »
Excellent legacy, Stern John. Good job. Glad to see the ministry lending their support.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Stern John football festival gains ministry support
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2009, 12:23:26 PM »
Excellent legacy, Stern John. Good job. Glad to see the ministry lending their support.

Ministries Sport and Education. D same Ministries that doh do squat
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
$214,000 for Stern John Skills Award.
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 04:27:52 AM »
$214,000 for Stern John Skills Award.
T&T Newsday Reports.

The Sport Company of Trinidad and Tobago (SPORTT) has come on board as the main sponsor of the Stern John Football Skills Award Programme.

SPORTT has contributed $214,000 to cover the operational costs of the three-month programme whose main objective is to provide fundamental and intermediate football skills training to over 140 primary schools in the eight educational districts throughout Trinidad and Tobago.

Approximately 2,500 primary school children between the ages 8-12 will benefit from the programme, which is aimed at developing football as well as social skills. It also seeks to provide participants with positive mentors and experiences through participation in sport.

Jenelle Warick, who plays for the national Under-15 womens football team and has recently been called for training with the U-17 team, and Brandon Creed, who plays for the U-14s of Tobago United Professional football club, are two former participants.

Both of these positive young people laud the efforts of the Stern John Skills Awards Programme and credit the programme with making them better footballers and citizens.

They were on hand to witness the ceremonial handover of the cheque which was presented by SPORTTs Senior Sports Officer Fitzroy Daniel to Mary Sui Butt, the chief co-ordinator of the programme.

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: $214,000 for Stern John Skills Award.
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 06:08:20 AM »
$214,000 Stern John Skills?

What dotishness I reading?

Ms que un club.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2010, 07:03:00 AM »

why alyuh so boy ;D.......................hearing lone ranger theme as horse gallops in the distince as we speak :-X
I pity the fool....

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2010, 09:32:10 AM »

why alyuh so boy ;D.......................hearing lone ranger theme as horse gallops in the distince as we speak :-X

I eh know boy...like berris gehin too old to come on and defend he family

de ground doh rumble wit cuss no more
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2010, 09:51:25 AM »

I eh know boy...like berris gehin too old to come on and defend he family

de ground doh rumble wit cuss no more

lol ;D
I pity the fool....

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2010, 01:24:15 PM »

Putrid reply.  :puking:
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2010, 09:25:14 PM »
have a question?
how this is work...Stern John skills program gettin all that money from SPORTT??
when they have other programs that out there longer but like they dont get much at all
or is it we jus dont hear of it??

Lafoucaude, Clint Marcelles school...

not the same concept??
jus curious...not stirring up nothing

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
  • TnT ALL TIME GREATEST GOAL SCORER chase dem Jesse
    • View Profile
    • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/graphics/gallery/football/facup2006/fourthround/upixcup9.jpg
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2010, 09:38:34 PM »

He make you ..it eh take much skill to bring ah kakahole in dis world ...just look dong yuh family chain n yuh go understand wey ah coming from.

p.s    Dutty ..... f**k you  :devil:
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 09:48:42 PM by berris »
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2010, 06:56:36 AM »
have a question?
how this is work...Stern John skills program gettin all that money from SPORTT??
when they have other programs that out there longer but like they dont get much at all

not the same concept??

Good question maybe dey eh apply?

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2010, 09:04:03 AM »
have a question?

not the same concept??
      Interesting question,i'm not too sure what determines a coaching school in T&T,who funds them or is it anybody can get a group of kids and say they have a school,i'm just guessing parents pay for their kids to attend these schools so the people that run them makes money eg La Foucade,Alcons,are these schools registered with SPORTT ?from what i know you have to submit a proposal to get money from them,they don't just say you have a school look money.
     I'm not against Coaching schools in T&T but it must be done right,this is the first introduction a young Footballer gets to what it take to be good player,how qualified are the guys that run these schools?and i'm not talking about one or two individuals because from what i hear it have Coaching schools all over the country.
     Again i'm not sure but i don't think Stern John's organization makes money from what ever they do,it's the reason he uses his own money or gets sponsorships,grants etc etc
      Just my two cents,i stand to be corrected.     

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2010, 09:09:00 AM »
have a question?

not the same concept??
      Interesting question,i'm not too sure what determines a coaching school in T&T,who funds them or is it anybody can get a group of kids and say they have a school,i'm just guessing parents pay for their kids to attend these schools so the people that run them makes money eg La Foucade,Alcons,are these schools registered with SPORTT ?from what i know you have to submit a proposal to get money from them,they don't just say you have a school look money.
     I'm not against Coaching schools in T&T but it must be done right,this is the first introduction a young Footballer gets to what it take to be good player,how qualified are the guys that run these schools?and i'm not talking about one or two individuals because from what i hear it have Coaching schools all over the country.
     Again i'm not sure but i don't think Stern John's organization makes money from what ever they do,it's the reason he uses his own money or gets sponsorships,grants etc etc
      Just my two cents,i stand to be corrected.     

I think this is correct...his might be a non-profit organisation, whereas the others may not be.  :beermug:

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline soccerlover

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2010, 01:48:16 PM »

Stern John Skills Award is not a coaching school.It is a programme that targets primary school boys and girls . It is funded by Stern John and the Government and coordinated by Mary Siu butt , Neville Chance and Muhammad Isa .
 Schools all over the country are invited to participate.The programme involves paid coaches working in selected schools ,preparing the kids to compete in ball juggling, dribbling , passing and receiving ,  attacking and defending , 4 v 1 and small sided games .Prizes are given out to individual as well as overall school winners.The programme has been around for about 7 years now and every year new schools enter .Brendon Creed and Jonelle Warrick are the two most outstanding youngsters to have passed through the programme.Creed set records in the ball juggling (3000+) while Warrick won all the categories (including goalkeeping ) in back to back years . It is the only programme where coaches actually go out to schools and and help to develop fundamental skills In football .Big up to Stern!!! :) :) :)

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2010, 11:44:55 AM »
200,000tt small price for another future stern john, imo

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Stern John skills programme today
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2010, 06:05:01 AM »
Stern John skills programme today
T&T Newsday

THE SEVENTH Annual Stern John Football Skills Programme kicks off today at the Fatima College Ground, Mucurapo at noon.

Todays session is the opening segment of a programme that will take part in eight regions for both Boys and Girls in the Under-12 Division. Over 140 teams will compete for a place in the National Championship in football skills, carded for June 25.

Soon after the top teams from each category will take part in a one- day tournament on July 1 at a venue to be announced.

However outstanding players from the football skills programme will be given the opportunity to be selected on an All-Star team.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2012, 05:31:18 AM »
Questioned about the Stern John Clinic, John admitted that the programme has been put on hold.

It was going on for five years and it gotten too big for me, he related. We had an agreement with the Government that they were supposed to come on board and help, but it didnt work out the way we wanted it to.

The Stern John Skills Program had to stop for a bit. But I think were going to start it back. Through the Legacy Foundation, were going to bring it back and hopefully we can get the support of the Government and the local businessmen, like we had before, and the community and stuff.
- T&T NEWSDAY

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Stern John Skills Programme Thread.
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2015, 06:31:55 AM »
Stern prepares to enter as Academy coach.
By Shaun Fuentes (Guardian).

Away from international football for just over two years, all-time T&T leading goalscorer Stern John is getting ready to re-enter the game from in a different capacity. John will join a list of former national football stars who have entered coaching as he now looks ahead to being the featured head coach of the T&T Football 7s Academy.

The T&T football 7s academy is affiliated to the Miami Soccer 7s Academy which is based in Soccer Town, Pembroke Pines and founded by Trinidadian Sham Mohammed. It will cater for children six to 17 years old as well as adults and will stage training sessions three times per week.

John and current Minister of Sport Brent Sancho were on hand in Miami last October to play in an exhibition game at the launch of the Soccer 7s Academy at which Brazilian Alexandre Soares is the head coach.

Now John will spearhead the T&T Academy which will open its first branch at the Henry St Recreation Ground in Trincity next month. That is the same ground where John grew up playing both football and cricket.

Its an amazing opportunity for me and it couldnt have come at a better time, John said.

Obviously Ive been out of international football for a while but Ive kept in touch with the game and Ive always wanted the opportunity to give back, especially in T&T. Im really excited to be working with the kids. Well be teaching them the basics of the game but also showing them more about life skills off the field and creating opportunities for them to learn about living healthy lifestyles and adapting to face every day life situations.

We are working around the clock to see this come off the ground as we want to really make it attractive and worth the while, especially for the youngsters and our ambition to drive football 7s locally, said the former Birmingham City and Crystal Palace striker.

There will be provision also for underprivileged kids at the academy which will eventually branch out in other areas of the country.

The Football 7s Academy, through its Miami outlet, hosted an eight-team tournament last month for adults which saw the winning team walk away with a US$4,000 first prize. And there are plans to stage similar tournaments in Trinidad with more attractive cash prizes, according to Mohammed, the founder of the academy. Opportunities for football scholarships and international participation in tournaments will also be at stake.

Football 7 is growing and has aroused the interest of major stars of world football. The Brazilian League brings together great idols enshrined in the teams participating in the competition. The same happens in other parts of South America and Europe.

Former Argentina captain Juan Pablo Sorin and ex- Real Madrid and Vasco da Gama defender Dejan Petkovic are just two of the former stars who are now involved in Football 7s.

Additional information on registration and the launch for the T&T Academy will be presented in the coming weeks.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
Re: Stern John Skills Programme Thread.
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2015, 07:50:17 AM »
Proud of you Stern. May your endeavours bear plentiful fruit.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

1]; } ?>