April 30, 2024, 02:24:49 AM

Author Topic: How come Trini women doh know much bout football?  (Read 4098 times)

Offline vibetrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
How come Trini women doh know much bout football?
« on: December 22, 2005, 12:26:33 PM »
I can only name a handfull for Trini women wo I can say could name more dan 3 active players in the squad and does follow d team like a non-waggonist. Whereas in other countries like brazil and even in England, the women there are much more into football than we ladies... i wanna hear allyuh thoughts.... whyy iz dis so?

Offline RGarcia

• Forward To Mid-Field to Defense
  • Hero Warrior
  • Who Jah bless, no man curse!
    • View Profile
Re: How come Trini women doh know much bout football?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 12:31:37 PM »
cause when de game goin on they talking bout deh hair and deh nails :rotfl: :rotfl:
All American

Offline slates

• Sr. Warrior
  • Big-up L'Anse Mitan Carenage
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 12:35:27 PM »
Vibe, drop de "wo" and it still remains a valid question.  :rotfl:
Toujour Pret!

Offline cm103

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 12:38:42 PM »
Boy..it have one Trini gyul dat working with me for a couple years though dat ask me when I come back from watching d Bahrain match who we was playing and if we win  :-[ she used to live in Germany and going for d lime so at least she might come in useful as a guide

Another girl that just start a couple months ago know she ting dough, she was too young for Nov 19th but know she football and cricket like a boss so it ent all women.

A couple of meh aunts could talk football from back since North-South classic and 73 qualifiers

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 12:48:29 PM »
Not all women interested in football maybe yuh go get about 25% that know something,listen me and wife always arguing why she doh follow football and the national team,but she always quick to say how she used to go to all them fete match an ting just for the lime,meet the girls and talk about who man on the field looking good ha the nicest legs,wah car he driving all sorts ah shit.But when yuh look at the stadium anywhere in the world when brazil playing there's as much women watching and cheering on the team and they know all there players and fuhther more all ah them sexy.     

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2005, 12:57:17 PM »
I think Women Footballers are the most misunderstood Footballers in the World,T&T public pays no attention to them,they have been fighting an uphill battle for the longest while,i just sympatize with who ever coaching them.

I talk about Women Football on this forum and nobody takes me on,no one wants to coach the Womens team that's why Jamal has to coach all of them,nobody talks about getting better coaches for them,a better development program but as usual we want results.

It's not that T&T women don't know much Football,is just that T&T women don't stay in the game as long as the men,for different reasons,so you find the turnover is to quick for sufficient development to take place,it's a matter of our teams don't have experience,all who have the experience moving on with their lives.

I remember way back in the 70's we had Women teams (club) it had a girl called Shirley May every one used to talk about.I just think need some attention ppl look at them to much as a bunch of jokers.  

Offline lihalquay

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2005, 01:04:33 PM »
Well seeing that I am a Trini woman,I will answer for myself.  I am not much into sports,especially football. I don't understand the technicalities of the game. Forget asking a man questions when he is looking at  the game....BAD TIMING!!!!
 I think it has to do with how football on the whole is marketed in Trinidad, you have to admit you can NOT compare Trinidad to Brazil and England.
 I now know who some of the guys are because they talk about them all the time in  the media and they have sponsored segments explaining what are their posistions (I hope I am using the right term) on the side.
Why are they now only doing that, because we have qualified.
I have no idea who are the people on the Under 17 and Under21 side. If you do a survery I am sure  the average Trini man does not know either.
Brazil and England  live,sleep,eat football WE DO NOT don't blame the women for that

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2005, 01:06:54 PM »
Football and most other contact sports worldwide are male dominated

Culturally, avid love for football and other contact sports is therefore generally a masculine characteristic of society. I think it goes way way way back when more defined lines were drawn to distinguish what is socially acceptable for a man and what is socially acceptable for a woman.

Sports where you might find a more intense female following might be for eg. Tennis, badminton,  Gymnastics, Swimming, Volleyball, netball, field-hockey etc,......they aren't not as male dominated, and historically, female participation in such was perhaps considered more socially acceptable than female participation in football........my perception

As for the difference in "followership" and knowledge between women in Trinidad and women in other countries, I can't comment too much because I don't know much about female love for football in other countries other than the U.S............but it probably be a result of how the different societies have progressed and evolved with respect to what I mentioned above.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 01:13:09 PM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

TrinInfinite

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2005, 01:07:52 PM »
Well seeing that I am a Trini woman,I will answer for myself.  I am not much into sports,especially football. I don't understand the technicalities of the game. Forget asking a man questions when he is looking at  the game....BAD TIMING!!!!
 I think it has to do with how football on the whole is marketed in Trinidad, you have to admit you can NOT compare Trinidad to Brazil and England.
 I now know who some of the guys are because they talk about them all the time in  the media and they have sponsored segments explaining what are their posistions (I hope I am using the right term) on the side.
Why are they now only doing that, because we have qualified.
I have no idea who are the people on the Under 17 and Under21 side. If you do a survery I am sure  the average Trini man does not know either.
Brazil and England  live,sleep,eat football WE DO NOT don't blame the women for that

diz aight, if dey ent know we go teach de ladies how tuh play, we go show u how tuh tackle and score  ;D  :beermug:

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2005, 01:24:14 PM »
If you really look at the game "Football" the perception was always it was a man's game,women never used to participate may be check out a game sometimes,when women played Football they were looked at differently(Tom boys).

America must be given a lot of credit for breaking some barriers and helping to make Women Football what it is today.
If you look at the top countries the level is pretty good for women,is just that T&T has to step up their level.

It have a woman called Janet Ifill from St James she never used to miss Football any where in T&T and i talking about way back,i don't think any of you guys would like to get into a Football conversation with her.   

Offline Trini_fan

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2005, 01:26:23 PM »
I can only name a handfull for Trini women wo I can say could name more dan 3 active players in the squad and does follow d team like a non-waggonist. Whereas in other countries like brazil and even in England, the women there are much more into football than we ladies... i wanna hear allyuh thoughts.... whyy iz dis so?

For your information I know plenty men who know just as little about football. What is their excuse?

Offline slates

• Sr. Warrior
  • Big-up L'Anse Mitan Carenage
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2005, 01:41:31 PM »

For your information I know plenty men who know just as little about football. What is their excuse?

Dat is why I say, drop de "wo" and it still ah valid question.

Men home in Trini not even supporting de local leagues. PFL attendance is poor (I understand because I don't live in Trini), and I understand even the SSFL games aren't attended like they used to be. I remember when schools used to come from South or East to play a North team, they used to pull up in PTSC busses and used to be as much girls as boys.

When de teams were community based, they used to have the local following, men and women. Girls I grew up with knew bout ball because they used to come watch we play, whether it was for de village team or school. Them girls used to storm Fatima grounds, etc. to watch games.

I used to go to games at PSA with nuff girls. But now, only when T&T on de verge of making de WC, people filling up de Stadium.
Toujour Pret!

Offline Trini_fan

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2005, 01:45:52 PM »

Dat is why I say, drop de "wo" and it still ah valid question.

Yuh lucky too. When I first read it I was ready to email a cuss for supporting such dotish talk

Offline trinidre

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2005, 01:46:58 PM »
Men in Trini doh know about football? buh wha de a** is this. if dem men doh know about football wha is them real scene then

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2005, 01:59:16 PM »
reasons:

1. trini league small time. harly on TV. small following.
2. most of we players in relatively small club. no exposure unless you is a die-hard football fan.
3. loss of interest due to lack of success of nat'l team between 1989 and 2005.
4. they more concern with fete and man with nice car and plenty money.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2005, 02:04:42 PM »
Vibetrini your argument is subjective.....there are a lot of women who know about the sport they're just not as vociferous as men tend to be (unless they name Barbara and Joyce...some ah allyuh know who ah mean). Besides how often do people go out to get a woman's opinion...how much press does the female game get?

Offline trinidre

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2005, 02:17:32 PM »
ah cyar answer that question on why Trini women dont know about football but if someone thought enough about it to post about it then ah guess it might have some truth to it for whatever reason. What I can say is that over here

Offline Cowen

• Hero Warrior
  • Conquer without risk is to triumph without Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2005, 02:35:47 PM »
Now there are exceptions ....there are quite a bit of women knowledgeable about the game and all aspects of it.

On the flip side however ...for women a game is much more of a lime that to watch the actual sport itself. You can see it back in the intercol days ... the girls willgenerally go the game because it will be a big lime ... where they can interact and just "lime".

Attended Mad Mad University
Studied Madology
Obtained a Mad Mad Degree

Offline vibetrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2005, 02:50:41 PM »
I know some women does follow football and sports plenty, and that some men doh know much about any sport but wha i sayin is that if u in a gathering with other fellas, sports is almost always on the discussion agenda. However if you liming with a group of females, which of us go start talking football tactics and who play who last week and ting like dat in that kinda setting?

among men its a norm to have sports discussion in alomst every corner of the globe... who saying that when women together they does talk bout sports to any great extent or even mention some sports related topic?
 Generally speaking that is ... i have a couple lady friends as i say before that like sports, buh i saying that a minority of women like sports, majority doh pay attention to it.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 02:52:21 PM by vibetrini »

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2005, 03:07:28 PM »
Its just de society... plain and simple.... we feel we have ah football culture but we really don't!!

I spend some time in Spain and meh senora who I live by could ah talk bout football from right back... ah talking Di Stefano... come right up to Michel, Butragueno, Schuster ... up to Raul and Morientes...
Its all about de culture... she grow up with ah football culture!

We don't even ram out our national team games on ah regular basis unless we close to World Cup... 89 and now 2005...

When yuh have ppl planning they whole week round club games and when the table talk at lunch and dinner is about the Caledonia - Petrotrin clash on de weekend .... then we reach.....
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline bill

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2005, 03:15:16 PM »
I can't answer de question but what I know is that trini women does look real good in dey pum pum shorts at the games!!!  :devil: :devil:
But I does ketch real kicks to see dem facing the wrong direction during de game to see who watching dem :rotfl:

Offline trinidre

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2005, 03:15:49 PM »
I apologize for not finishing meh last post but what ah wanted to say is that here in the US alot of women follow there american sports and could tell yuh everything yuh need to know

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2005, 03:53:18 PM »
Not all women interested in football maybe yuh go get about 25% that know something,listen me and wife always arguing why she doh follow football and the national team,but she always quick to say how she used to go to all them fete match an ting just for the lime,meet the girls and talk about who man on the field looking good ha the nicest legs,wah car he driving all sorts ah shit.But when yuh look at the stadium anywhere in the world when brazil playing there's as much women watching and cheering on the team and they know all there players and fuhther more all ah them sexy.     

Aye Saga we was givin yuh real kicks earlier this week when yuh was talking bout men lookin sexy in tight shorts and which footballer does dress nice and thing but then I read this and ah say whew.

Then ah read about that last part about all ah dem lookin sexy and I really wasn't sure if yuh meant the men on the field or the women in the stands ???

Buh do study the scenes yuh cool man....does the wifey come on the forum?

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2005, 04:00:08 PM »
We ( men and women of T&T) don't love and support football as much as we think generally. Its no secret that men participate in and support sports in general more than women, globally. The extent to which this may attributed to culture and natural predisposition is debatable.The NCAA did a study on this a few years ago. Those two factors would explain why trini women wouldn't know as much about football than trini men.

However we shouldn't ignore the fact that we have dedicated women SW fans. When I go to stadium I see many of the same ladies watching the game. I've met a lot of men who are just as dense when it comes to football.

This qualification came as a surprise to a lot of people and I'm sure we had a lot more male waggonists than female ones. For the Bahrain game there were two men sitting behind me who pointing out how well the no9 for T&T was playing. It was disgraceful to learn that after several months of qualification there were people who didn't even know the players' names. Next to these two gentleman was a lady who just as bad is those two idiots.

So I would like to say that is not fair to say Trini women don't know football because most trini men don't know either.

Offline nobody_s angel

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2005, 06:02:44 PM »
I was going to jump into this topic real hot and sweaty but I decided to cool my self a lil bit. Besides I see some of the fellas actually picking up for we women.

And some actually seem to forget that there are alot of knowledgeable women on this site. Women that have been here since before the first upgrade. So there are alot of trini women that know a great deal about football.

bUt to answer your question properly I guess from my own experience and what I could tell from my friends a guy would learn from small how to head or kick a ball their dads will take them to the savannah and take them to the games. I was a fortunate one my dad taught both my brother and I to do these things from the time I could walk. But to say that he was serious about me playing for a team well that really never happened, until he realised that there was a future for women in the sport.

Reasons being:

1. Alot of the women out there grew up in a generation when football "wasn't for girls" it was tooo rough. So girls really were not encouraged to play the sport at PE or other wise. Thank God times have changed.

2. Some fathers do not take the time to pass on their knowledge of the sport to their girl children. To the fathers out there do not have your girl  child growing up asking "why they does call hiam a goal keeper"in public it wrong and embarassing.

3. I guess some fathers underestimate the skill of women footballers and their market value now.

4. Some of them really just go intercol for the lime and be cause there boy friend playing.

What u could do to each his/ her own but u have to master the skill of gaping, being gaped at and knowing the sport.  ;)

Not so fellas :D

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
  • "Hands that help are holier than lips that pray"
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2005, 07:43:46 PM »
America must be given a lot of credit for breaking some barriers and helping to make Women Football what it is today.
If you look at the top countries the level is pretty good for women,is just that T&T has to step up their level.

A funny thing though - although alot of women and girls in the US play football, and understand the game as far as playing is concerned, alot still dont have any interest in watching. To me its surprising how so many players up here in the states (men and women) who can real play dont follow the national team or any pro leagues and dont know of that many players.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2005, 10:09:20 PM »
As a 36 yr old female who grew up with a Single Mother let me inform you that I am into sports. I do not miss cricket in the Oval. I have bbeen to the Oval since 1981 when WI vs England.

In terms of football since Latapy playing under 16 I going to football. It was my mother who taught me the love of sport. The only sad thing about Nov 16th is that my mother is not here to enjoy it with me.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline rasajoy

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2005, 03:37:06 AM »
It is women who invented football  ;D Think about it ???

rasajoy

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2005, 03:52:16 AM »
ahhhhhhhggg that ................
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline Lil Jodie P

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2005, 06:21:32 AM »
it is true that not all women into football or sports on a whole for that matter...but most if not all the women in my family...including me are avid football fanatics! i was born into the game...my dad is a football coach, my uncle is a refree, my cousins(both girls and guys) play it, i play it, we all have gone to every single qualifier the warriors played at home. and i am also a follower of the SSFL(FATIMA for life!!!). football is part of our life....a big part! so it may be an unfair statement to say that all trini women dont know much about the game. i for one can tell you that some women are just as passionate if not more passionate aboutfootball that some guys out there!
FOREVER AND ALWAYS "Little Jodie P" :)

1]; } ?>