April 20, 2024, 07:07:41 AM

Author Topic: Does drinking alcohol & smoking really hurt your conditioning as an athlete?  (Read 2762 times)

The reason I'm asking is I remember Hristo Stoichkov use to smoke a cigarette before and after ah game for bulgaria and it never affected his game.There was also a boxer by the name of ricardo mayorga who use to do the same,drinking and smoking before ah fight an winning,so does it all depend on the individual or are they the minority and some people could just handle it better than others.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2005, 09:13:48 PM by saga pinto »

Re: Does drinking & smoking really hurt your conditioning as an athlete?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2005, 09:02:45 PM »
Socrates was a heavy smoker....
The German team reportedly took dozens of cases of beer and wine to the last world cup....
Personally I don't have a problem with drinking if done in moderation but I guess it's up to the individual and how it affects him or her

It is up to de individual how he takes care of himself in-between.

Look Latas does smoke still and he still atheltic as ever, justifiably regarded as one of de best in Scotland to this day.  :beermug:

if u know urself and your body then the responisbility is yours...

but i do think that everything in monderation wont have drastic effects on athletes

what smoking good for? In excess or in moderation?

Scientific fact.alcohol dehydrates the body.  smoking hard on the lungs...essential to breathing.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2005, 11:15:47 PM by truetrini »

I believe that i depends on the person cause some man cant party a play football. i play with alot of eropean player that do all sorts of crazy stuff that we from the caribbean will be bad for an athelete but it fine with them. may how long one have been doing it has alot to do with it.

Yea i'd think so man. Even if it would seem that it wouldnt effect their game. I'm sure without the drinking and smoking they'd be able to run faster, longer, harder. We're all born to die. It a fact that drinking and smoking kills you faster. brain cells. heart. kidney.       So why wouldnt it affect their game?

Ah feel when men say that drinking in moderation is fine, dey trying tuh justify themselves.  :rotfl:  :rotfl:

Jerson or Gerson, who played for Brazil in 1970, arguably the best team ever was a chain smoker and remember de bullet he scored in the finals.

The reason I'm asking is I remember Hristo Stoichkov use to smoke a cigarette before and after ah game for bulgaria and it never affected his game.There was also a boxer by the name of ricardo mayorga who use to do the same,drinking and smoking before ah fight an winning,so does it all depend on the individual or are they the minority and some people could just handle it better than others.

U seriously have to much time on ur hands

Is that a fact,now that you've made that comment explain,yuh no meh grandmother used to say monkey doh see they own tail.   

Well George Best is the prime example of a good baller who both drank and smoked.

Look at our Big three here in TT Latapy, Yorke and Lara who does drink more than dem and "perform" next day.

Now we have had pipers such as Cannigia and Maradonna who ride the white horse and still win World Cup.

But as fit as you are, if yuh body didnt have those pollutants in it you would function better.

There is no arguement here..........grog and cigarette doe do nuttin for a athlete.