April 26, 2024, 04:30:36 PM

Author Topic: Battle for "Soca Warriors"  (Read 7152 times)

Offline royalian

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Battle for "Soca Warriors"
« on: December 28, 2005, 07:52:36 AM »
Battle for "Soca Warriors"
By Zaid Mohammed (Trinidad Newsday)

ANOTHER major controversy is brewing following the qualification of the Trinidad and Tobago football team for the World Cup Finals in Germany next year. This time it involves the "Soca Warriors" brand name which the team has adopted leading up to their historic debut in the 32-team competition which starts on June 9. Well-known sports commentator and events co-ordinator Selwyn Melville yesterday claimed that he was the first to coin the name "Soca Warriors" and is urging the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation to acknowledge this. Melville, who has been broadcasting sports for more than two decades said he is upset that correspondence to the TTFF informing them of his right to the name "Soca Warriors" and seeking clarification on their use of it has gone unanswered.

As a result he has sought the advice of several legal luminaries who have suggested a course of action which he said he is not yet ready to reveal or embark upon. Meville said he has been prompted into action for no other reason but to earn the acknowledgement of the football authorities that he was the one who put out the "Soca Warriors" name into the public domain. It's all about respect and giving one his due. The name is an intellectual property and no one should have the authority to snatch it away and run with it. I am not allowing this to take place,said an indignant Melville yesterday. Melville produced a copy of a newspaper clipping dated September 10, 1999 when he said he first used the name "Soca Warriors" to describe the Trinidad and Tobago football team in a report of their match against Colombia in the Orange Bowl tournament in Miami.

"I dare anyone to bring some other proof of the use of the name "Soca Warriors." It was something that I had been thinking about and played around with before actually putting it out in public," said Melville. He said many people are unaware of the origin of the name and he is in the first instance seeking to be recognised as the person who came up with the name which he said "represents the colour and pageantry of the country." Melville said that following the failure of  the Strike Squad to qualify for the Italia 1990 World Cup Finals he started thinking up a new name for the national football team since he wanted to establish a clean break from the Everald "Gally" Cummings squad. "The name was to be used in my football commentary and in stories that I would write later on. I first thought about using "Calypso Warriors" but after discussion with a close friend who was working with Nestle I decided to use "Soca Warriors," Melville said.

"I even discussed it with calypsonian Ronnie McIntosh lyrics of a tune that would be used to hype up the team but that effort did not make much headway," said Melville. But in 1999 he first put it out in his report from Miami and since then he said "Soca Warriors" has been used to refer to the team without any acknowledgement of his involvement. Melville said he was also amused by a report two weeks ago that the Football Federation has registered the name internationally to protect its usage especially by pirates and counterfeiters looking to cash in on the team's success. He said the name gained acceptance leading up to the 2002 World Cup qualification campaign though the efforts of Peter Miller who was then a top official in the football administration.

At that time, Melville said, a cash offer was made to him as the originator of the brand name but nothing further came out of the negotiations. He said however he did get a grudging response from an influential figure close to the Football Federation that he deserved some kind of compensation for his intellectual property. Melville admits that he never registered the name "Soca Warriors" but he said that honesty and morality in public affairs should dictate the appropriate response from those in charge of football in Trinidad and Tobago. He said he was very happy that the "Soca Warriors" qualified for the World Cup Finals for the first time in history and was even more elated that they will be carrying the name across Europe. However he wants the Football Federation to officially admit that they are using someone else's property as their own.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 09:01:17 PM by Tallman »

truetrini

Re: Battle for ‘Soca Warriors’
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 08:12:24 AM »
oh boy!

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 08:26:53 AM »
hmmmph
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline marcpurcell

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 08:29:11 AM »
Not to discredit the journalist but Soca Warriors was being used on the boards here years before he wrote it in a newspaper.

The orignal use was in late 1997 early 1998 when Jamaica first qualified for the World Cup. We started to use Calypso Boyz then that became Soca Boyz but that was later droped when Soca Warriors started first to appear on my site. Unfortunately, my board and site no longer exist so it is hard to go back to those postings.

However, I am sure some of the other journalist will take credit for alot of things that we on the wweb started years ago. IE covering players in Europe, finding new talent.

Marc
Born in Montreal
Living in Toronto
But still a Barataria boy at heart

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2005, 08:45:43 AM »
What next the person who called Latatpy the Little Magician want to be credited for it. We becoming just like the US we suing for everything. Did Lancelot Layne get any credit for calling us Strike Squad?

Yes it is a different time now but the saying let sleeping dogs lie can be applicable to this situation. If we are paying out royalty money insure that Marj Blackman get something because Shorty invented Soca thus he she should get some part of the proceeds as they use the word soca.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2005, 08:49:56 AM »
I only remember the term "Soca Warriors," being used on the old TTFOl in late 1998.

And I was a regular since  1996.

Of course Calypso Boys was used..and maybe some other terms.

If any of the other odlsters remember differently, please say.

I know SH and I think Jumbie were there around the same time as me.

Peace,
VB

VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2005, 09:52:26 AM »
I remember Soca Warriors and Calypso boys from the days of MarcP site. Many of us did not like the boys aspect because it was too close to the Reggae Boyz and also I remember picong about them being boyz and we we were men..
Melville talking shite as usual.. Remember I call him and tell him on tv that it was head to head goal difference used, and he say no I wrong... Everybody  want to get notice now...

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2005, 10:23:03 AM »
Ever try looking on the waybackmachine to see if your web pages are archived there and show any reference to soca warriors? http://www.archive.org/ You need to have the URL of the original site to look it up.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2005, 11:12:50 AM »
I only remember the term "Soca Warriors," being used on the old TTFOl in late 1998.

And I was a regular since  1996.

Of course Calypso Boys was used..and maybe some other terms.

If any of the other odlsters remember differently, please say.

I know SH and I think Jumbie were there around the same time as me.

Peace,
VB

VB is correct.. I recall winning a t-shirt during the Gold Cup back in the late 90's when I called in to a program and mentioned that the teams nickname was "Soca Warriors" it was from one of those websites that carried the audio feeds for the Gold Cup games back then..I believe it was soccernet or something like that..and I got the name from the forum back in dem days to call in with.

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2005, 11:34:48 AM »
Coming to think of it I have Gold Cup games on tape from then, I will watch them again, because I am sure I heard it mentioned during that time.

Offline Gladman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2005, 11:43:59 AM »
If d man say is he create the name jus give d man some credit and leh we move on,nex year is WC  we cyar study trivial tings like this
Life Is Like Sugar Cane,It Hard But Sweet

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2005, 11:44:35 AM »
Remember I call him and tell him on tv that it was head to head goal difference used, and he say no I wrong.

I think that was Andre Baptiste on I95.5fm
If it wasn't then AB did the same thing.

I think there was a thread about this a little while ago.
Melville feel he smart.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2005, 11:50:48 AM »
I really doh understand we people nah.

De man frankomeh come out and say he never register or patent no name.  So wha de hell he lookin for?

Morally & Honesty?  Wha he tink it is at all?  How is he ever going to PROVE dat he come up with dat name?

Dem fellas good yes.  He happy Soca Warriors quailfy but he want people to know TTFF usin somebody else "property" and he cyah prove de "property" belong to he?

Dem fellas not only MAD....dey DOTISH!
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline royalian

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2005, 01:50:18 PM »
I don't know much about Trinidad patent /copyright law, if there is any, but in the USA the law is that whoever could prove 'first use' of the slogan/name, whether they register it or not, is the owner of the name, so iif u know u started to use a name and then see someone copyright it later on, you could challenge their ownership.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2005, 03:26:52 PM »
The name "Soca Warriors" was agressively marketed in 1999. As we geared up for WC qualification.

It was prob. used in the 2000 GC, but I doubt b4 it.

Peace,
VB

VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2005, 03:58:52 PM »
The name "Soca Warriors" was agressively marketed in 1999. As we geared up for WC qualification.

It was prob. used in the 2000 GC, but I doubt b4 it.

Here is an article from October 29th, 1999 when it was used. The article is from either de Guardian or Express:

T&T to play Mexico again

Like the old New York Yankee player Yogi Berra said once: "It seems like Deja Vu all over again." Trinidad and Tobago will face Mexico again in the Gold Cup. For sometime now the technical staff wanted to play Mexico and this time they will at what will seem like a home game to the Mexicans.

The game is scheduled for San Diego on February 13th. For those of you not familiar with US geography, San Diego lies directly across from the Mexican border town of Tijuana (the happiest place in all of Mexico). Two days later the Soca Warriors face Guatemala in Los Angeles. The top two teams advance to the quarter finals.

T&T has a very good shot of getting into the quarter-final and a good chance to advancing to the semi-final. Lets play the game of chances. If T&T finishes second in group C, they will face the winner of group D made up of Costa Rica, Canada and S. Korea. Right now Costa Rica looks the class of the group. On a good day and with conditions right, T&T can beat Costa Rica. A win in the quarter-finals will bring Mexico calling again. Keep your fingers crossed.

With the new schedule coming out, Guatemala canceled it's game scheduled for the 15th of this month. Trinidad and Tobago will instead face Honduras on the 17th. That game should feature several young players and the introduction of defender Ian Cox. It also will mark the return to the squad of German Bundesliga striker Evans Wise.

T&T will face Morocco and Tunisia next year. Also, on the menu is potential games versus Nigeria and Saudi Arabia.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2006, 09:46:29 AM »
Not to discredit the journalist but Soca Warriors was being used on the boards here years before he wrote it in a newspaper.
The orignal use was in late 1997 early 1998 when Jamaica first qualified for the World Cup. We started to use Calypso Boyz then that became Soca Boyz but that was later droped when Soca Warriors started first to appear on my site. Unfortunately, my board and site no longer exist so it is hard to go back to those postings.

However, I am sure some of the other journalist will take credit for alot of things that we on the wweb started years ago. IE covering players in Europe, finding new talent.

Marc

Is best you issue a press release or get a lawyer too oui.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2006, 09:47:46 AM »
Trinidad & Tobago Newsday
Monday, May 22 2006
Court to decide on ‘Warriors’ name

SPECIAL Advisor to the Trinidad and Tobago Football Fed-eration Jack Warner is again at the centre of another controversy involving the national football team which is currently in Europe preparing for the World Cup Finals in Germany.

This time it is a battle for ownership of the rights to the name Soca Warriors, the official moniker of the national football team which is being used to market the Trinidad and Tobago footballers internationally.

Well-known sports commentator Selwyn Melville has staked a claim to the name and has been trying unsuccessfully to get acknowledgement from the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation.

It is understood that Melville had sought legal advice on the intellectual property rights issues surrounding the name and was told that he had a good case having established that he was the first to coin “Soca Warriors” in a newspaper report six years ago.

And after correspondence to the TT Football Federation failed to elicit timely and satisfactory responses, Melville is expected to press for legal action shortly.

A source told Newsday that Melville was left disappointed since the Football Federation has gone ahead and signed several lucrative deals involving millions of dollars using the Soca Warriors name while the matter is left unresolved.

It was also pointed out that after Melville sumbitted to the Football Federation that he was the sole owner of the Soca Warriors name, an effort was made by two top officials of the organisation to register it and seek trademark rights.

However he is said to be anxious to have the matter settled before the start of the World Cup Finals in Germany on June 9 and avoid creating a distraction for the national footballers in their debut tournament.

Melville’s legal advisors are also reported to have written the Football Federation’s major benefactors informing them of the latest developments concerning the impending court action.

Among the major sponsors of the national football team are Carib Beer, TSTT, KFC, Blue Waters, Angostura and the Central Bank who recently released commemorative coins in the team’s honour.

Already merchandise using the Soca Warriors name is being sold with the rights for its production and distribution given to the Chaguanas company.

Melville is claiming that it is unfair that the Football Federation can trade the Soca Warriors name for profit while its originator is not being given any recognition and recompense.

He is said to be putting his confidence in the judicial system which will be asked shortly to determine who is the rightful owner of the name and whether the Football Federation has been selling a commodity that is not rightfully theirs. Apart from local companies contributing handsomely to the Soca Warriors campaign, it is also understood that exclusive internet rights have been brokered for the team as well as a deal involving Ebay the biggest internet shopping portal for the sale of merchandise and memorabilia.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2006, 10:17:45 AM »
In 1989 Swallow released an album called "The Soca Warrior"
If the reporter is claiming he made it up after that his case is weak. He claims he has an article he wrote in Sep 1999. If the term was out there 10 years prior he has no case.

http://www.calypsoarchives.co.uk/maindirectory/Swallow.html

« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 10:49:22 AM by e-man »

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2006, 01:57:24 PM »
In 1989 Swallow released an album called "The Soca Warrior"
If the reporter is claiming he made it up after that his case is weak. He claims he has an article he wrote in Sep 1999. If the term was out there 10 years prior he has no case.

http://www.calypsoarchives.co.uk/maindirectory/Swallow.html

That album reads 'Soca Warrior' & not 'Soca Warriors' so leave Swallow out of this as he ain't Trini anyway!   ;)

Btw who is going to pay Shorty's family for use of the word 'Soca'?

Melville's case is weak as we were calling the team 'Soca Warriors' before late 1999 on Marc's original T&T football site.

I recall the term 'Soca Warriors' being first posted by an old poster called Defender. Did Melville get permission from Defender to make such a claim?!  ::)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 02:01:17 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2006, 02:02:42 PM »
Cah believe this is such a big issue, everyone trying to make money or wah. Selwyn Melville is a very boring commentator and why he jumping up now to say something and not when the first game against the US was played last year!!

WAHHHTEEEVVER is what I say. All our energy is to support the team no matter what. I glad they not in Trini to have to deal with all this nonsense
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 09:28:03 AM by grskywalker »

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2006, 02:09:56 PM »
Cah believe this is such a big issue, everyone tring to make money or wah. Selwyn Melville is a very boring commentator and why he jumping up now to say something and not when the first game against the US was played last year!!

WAHHHTEEEVVER is what I say. All our energy is to support the team no matter what. I glad they not in Trini to have to deal with all this nonsense

Doh worry with Melville, he just trying ah thing! If he did his research he'll realise that we on these forums was calling our team 'Soca Warriors' before he used it in the newspapers!

If he wins that case he'll have to give us here who go back to posting on Marc football forum ah cut as well!

Defender whey yuh boy, like yuh making too much money or wha?! Here's a chance to increase the weight of yuh bank account! ;D 8)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 02:15:30 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2006, 05:39:01 PM »
royalian said the laws say the person who shows PROOF of first use.
Melville article was dated September 10, 1999 so untill somebody show PROOF  of earleir use he case ent week atall
The article Tallman show was dated October 29th, 1999 so Melville still in front.
Ethically he have the right to take them to court...if he want to....Morally is a different issue

We in Trini does take things too lightly.Ah sure if Jack put he name up somewhere in lights he go be happy. As that is we trini mentality!!!

Remember "Who let the dogs out"

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2006, 05:53:50 PM »
royalian said the laws say the person who shows PROOF of first use.
Melville article was dated September 10, 1999 so untill somebody show PROOF  of earleir use he case ent week atall
The article Tallman show was dated October 29th, 1999 so Melville still in front.
Ethically he have the right to take them to court...if he want to....Morally is a different issue

We in Trini does take things too lightly.Ah sure if Jack put he name up somewhere in lights he go be happy. As that is we trini mentality!!!

Remember "Who let the dogs out"

I recall we started refering to our team as the 'Soca Warriors' wayback in late 1998 just after the conclusion of the 1998 WC in which the Reggaeboyz took part. Various names were put forward but eventually the name 'Soca Warriors' became the popular choice. I believe a poster called Defender was the first to put forward the name 'Soca Warriors' on the forum on Marc's old T&T football site... and this is back in 1998 I am talking, about a year before Melville use the term in his newspaper report.

At any rate nothing wrong with him trying to make ah claim if he honestly believe that he was the first to use this name for our team.... as he may have been the first one to use the name 'Soca warriors' in the newspapers thus putting the name out to a wider audience than these forums had at the time.

Good luck to him.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 05:55:58 PM by Socapro »

1]; } ?>