March 28, 2024, 12:34:55 PM

Author Topic: Andrews is gonna play for Rangers Today  (Read 3054 times)

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Andrews is gonna play for Rangers Today
« on: April 24, 2005, 04:55:09 AM »
Just watching the pre game show for the Rangers - Celtic game. The team sheets aren't in yet but the commentators say Mcleish has said Andrews will start.

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Andrews is gonna play for Rangers Today
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 05:17:04 AM »
Squads have been announced and Andrews is playing....much to the distress of the pundits who think it is a MASSIVE!! gamble.  After seeing how he got his injury (replayed about 50 times on TV) I have to agree.  If he lasts the game he might do the new Pope a big Favour.

Saw both Samuel and Scotland come on as Subs for Dundee Utd and both (especially Scotland) were guilty of missing match winning chances for the Tangerines.  Ah could'nt get over the sight of Scotland wearing gloves in Blazing sunshine, I know it is 'up north' but the man been there long enough to acclimatise by now.

Shaka is on the bench again for Pompey, who have scored a penalty after just 2 mins against southampton.

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
Quote from the commentator
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005, 06:55:44 AM »
"Marvin Andrews has had a great afternoon"

Too bad they are down 2-0 after 65 minutes...but you never know....

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Another quote
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005, 06:59:23 AM »
"Marvin Andrews should call his pastor because they need all the help they can get!"

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Andrews off...no sign of his injury at all
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2005, 07:14:31 AM »
Subbed off with mere minutes to go...commentators say they feel bad for him because he "hasn't put a foot wrong all day, and he hit the post, yet they are down 2-0"

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2005, 08:06:28 AM »
Rodney which team would get  relegated to the championship division .Jones might be playing there next season
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2005, 09:10:27 AM »
Guess he was wrong...

The Spalksman with Anil Roberts
Trinidad Guardian

Marvin “Dog” Andrews will get injured if his ‘Gaffer’ (manager) chooses to play him in the Old Firm Derby this weekend. (This column was written on Thursday).  Approximately five weeks ago on March 13, Marvin sustained a serious injury to his left knee. MRI scans revealed that he had a tear in the anterior cruciate ligament of his left knee. Club doctors advised immediate surgery and consequential rehabilitation.

The average time for full recovery from an injury of this type is eight months. Though some professional players, like Jerry Rice of the San Francisco 49ers, have returned to full competitive action in just over three months. Our own national hockey star, Stacy Siu Butt recovered, following surgery, in a startling four months.  However, this is extremely rare and can only be achieved by intensely motivated athletes with the time, expertise, available facilities, desire and ability to endure extreme amounts of pain.

Marvin Andrews was quoted on Fox Sports as saying that he would refuse surgery, in order to be available to play for his club until the end of the season.  Glasgow Rangers and Glasgow Celtic are in the middle of a heated battle for the league title in Scotland. At present, a mere point separates the two teams. Thus this weekend’s encounter will, in fact, more than likely determine the eventual champions.

Any athlete, former athlete or coach can understand Marvin’s anxiety to help his team. He should be applauded for his display of dedication to the cause. However, there is a point at which bravery becomes insanity. Marvin has long crossed this point.  A torn ligament cannot be restored, repaired or strengthened without surgery. The swelling can be controlled by ice treatment and damaged muscle fibers surrounding the joint can be strengthened through rigorous rehabilitation. However, the weakened ligament remains, just that, weak.  The anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) is arguably the most important ligament in the body for athletes involved in sporting activities, which involve immense amounts of lateral movements. Football is all about lateral movements.  As a defender, Marvin will have to respond quickly to very sharp, speedy changes in direction of high quality forwards of Glasgow Celtic. He will also have to jump, elevate, challenge for headers in the area and most importantly land on the ground with his entire bodyweight being supported by that weakened ligament of the left knee.

Keep in mind here that no amount of rehabilitation, or competitive situation simulation can compare to the reflexive nature of an actual game. To play at your best, a player moves into automatic mode. Years of training, practice and repetition allows the non-conscious area of the brain to takeover. Therefore, any attempts to consciously protect the injured area will inevitably fail at some point, leading to a worsening of the injury. In this case, unfortunately this means a complete tearing of the ACL and possible tearing of other stabilizing ligaments surrounding the left knee.

No ‘Goat mouth’ on Marvin

Please do not accuse me of putting “Goat Mouth” on Marvin. I truly hope that if he plays, he is able to complete his job unscathed. Yes, some people believe there is power in the spoken word and even the written word. I am not even going to attempt to challenge the voracity of these beliefs. However, science and in this case specifically, sports medicine, is not a guessing game. Sound theories have been confirmed by thorough testing, in depth analysis and most importantly empirical data. The facts speak for themselves.

Marvin is jeopardizing his career, his lifestyle, his family’s financial security and our nation’s chances to qualify for the World Cup in Germany, simply because he is a true ball peong. Coaches, managers and confidantes are needed in a situation like this, to prevent an athlete from self-destructing no matter how noble or courageous the motivation.  Yes, this is a huge game for Marvin, and his club. However, one thing that I have learnt in sport is that there will always be another huge game. Therefore, no matter how excruciatingly painful, it is for Marvin to sit in the stands for this game, and however many more ‘big’ games, until his knee has been surgically repaired. He simply has no choice.

Spalkspeople may be wondering how I seem to know so much about knee injuries. The truth of the matter is that I have done the same thing twice. Once in 1991, with my left knee, and more recently in 2004 with my right knee. On both occasions, I, just like Marvin, succumbed to the powerful forces of that round object, known as a football, only to pay a greater price.  Fortunately for me, my livelihood does not depend on my ability to move sideways. I cannot say the same for Marvin.  Marvin, please DO NOT PLAY. Take the surgery. For your sake, your family’s sake and our Warriors sake. Good

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2005, 09:13:03 AM »

He get sub just as a precaution hopefully.

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2005, 11:53:04 AM »
Rodney which team would get  relegated to the championship division .Jones might be playing there next season

Well Pompey safe after todays result....my picks are Southampton, Norwich and West Brom.  I would'nt have said Southampton until I saw their First half performance today, even though they have the easiest run in (on paper) of all the relegation battlers.  Palace have shown more fight and determination than all the other three combined....in my humble opinion of course ::)

This might be a good thing for Jones, as he will most likely get a good run in the side at a level most suited to his current experience.  Another season playing in The Championship aint that bad....Redknapp will get them straight back up as usual.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2005, 01:10:27 PM »

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2005, 04:55:59 PM »
from reading some rangers sites, i get the impression that he had to be taken out in the 2nd hf because he looked like he was in a bit of pain, but the fans seem to really appreciate his dedication and hard work. hes become a fan favorite up there. the overall consensus seems to be that he was one of the best players for rangers today, although that doesnt really say much considering how poor the other players did.

anyway heres a link to some of the fans commenting/praising big marv.

http://boards.footymad.net/mboard/fmb.php?tno=247&fid=123&sty=2&act=1&mid=2140318077
Hart for president

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2005, 05:45:31 PM »
It is really refreshing to see the praise that Marvin is getting.

Hopefully Rangers will rest him for the rest of the season and he will get a chance to strengthen his knee.

Does anyone know for certain whether the ligament is strained or torn?

Rodney how well did he actually play? The reports aren't clear.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2005, 05:55:14 PM »
from reading some rangers sites, i get the impression that he had to be taken out in the 2nd hf because he looked like he was in a bit of pain

McLeish said:

"We were worried about his legs in terms of fitness and that's why I took him off near the end because he was running on empty and you could see that."
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2005, 06:02:43 PM »
For all the praises they showering on him I hope he was insured.
If a man willing to put his career on the line for you I would hope you have his back.

I hope he does not play for the rest of the season.  And if playing for T&T is not good for him then I don't think we should play him either. 

He may just continue to prove most of us wrong but it take just one split moment for reality to step in.
Those Doctors better be reading their ethics books when deciding if to clear him for action cuz is not an easy decision.

Can't help but admire the man.  Making us proud not only with his play but with his show of character....a refreshing change.

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2005, 02:22:37 AM »
It is really refreshing to see the praise that Marvin is getting.

Rodney how well did he actually play? The reports aren't clear.

Quite well considering his preparation for the game was rushed by all accounts and his apparent severe injury.  He was beaten to the ball by Petrov for the first goal, looked like he did'nt expect the cross to be whipped in at such pace and got caught a bit 'flatfooted'. Played his normal game for Rangers, lots of commitment, determination, no pulling out of tackles and commanding in the air but I would'nt say it was an expectional performance if you ignore his injury.  He did get caught out of posistion on 2 or three occasions when he seems to ball watch and get dragged towards the sphere when others are already covering.  What I will say is unlike many players who play a bit scared after a major injury, there was nothing of that from Dog, but then...would you expect anything different from him!

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2005, 02:52:17 AM »
He was beaten to the ball by Petrov for the first goal, looked like he did'nt expect the cross to be whipped in at such pace and got caught a bit 'flatfooted'.

Petrov..aka Eddie Johnson.  For a man that so dominant in the air, he seems to have a hard time staying with his man on the whipped crosses.  But overall a good performance, and if it wasn't for the crossbar it would have been legendary.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2005, 05:08:58 AM »
Petrov..aka Eddie Johnson.  For a man that so dominant in the air, he seems to have a hard time staying with his man on the whipped crosses.  But overall a good performance, and if it wasn't for the crossbar it would have been legendary.

The thing is people only remember the ones that you miss, especially when an opponent capitalizes. Marking is not an easy job and even the best players lose their assignment or get caught out at crosses.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

1]; } ?>