April 23, 2024, 01:36:40 PM

Author Topic: Fenwick is back  (Read 3197 times)

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Fenwick is back
« on: April 24, 2005, 09:42:25 AM »
Fenwick is back
23-Apr-2005
S Fuentes

English man Terry Fenwick returned to Trinidad on Friday to take up duties once again.

The 1986 England World Cup team member arrived here to take up position of head coach of CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh for the current Pro League season.

Jabloteh is currently in 5th spot after two games having lost their opener to Vibe CT 105 W Connection. Technical Director Michael Grayson with Angus Eve had been in charge of the team but Fenwich has been recalled to lift the team. Jabloteh previously enjoyed success under him including the 2002 Pro League title before he returned to England to take up duties with Northampton Town. Fenwick was also a popular television football announcer during his earlier stay in Trinidad.

Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Fenwick is back
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 10:16:14 AM »
what is so different in his style. that he had Jobloteh winning, and in England, could only get 2 draws and 5 losses, and the boot thereafter.
What is it about him that he has such communication with our guys, or beating our guys, and couldn't transfer this to beat his own, or motivate his own countrymen. Interesting.

Being away 2 years, does he still have it ? Can he do it again, time frame?
Will like to hear an interview with this guy, He obviously is very connected to Trini now.
 Local based, hook im up please, if possible, if we can understand how to beat ourselves, we can learn to fix those aspects.

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005, 12:06:54 PM »
what is so different in his style. that he had Jobloteh winning, and in England, could only get 2 draws and 5 losses, and the boot thereafter.
What is it about him that he has such communication with our guys, or beating our guys, and couldn't transfer this to beat his own, or motivate his own countrymen. Interesting.

If you look at it another way its a bad indictment of the ablities of many of our locally based coaches...if UK failures like Fenwick and Ricky Hill can get success so easily here. Or...maybe local players just have more respect for coaches that they know have achieved what they percieve as significant things in their career.  For English players, guys like Fenwick and Hill are 'a dime ah dozen'.  Most Trini's have seen video of or remember looking at these guys on TV, while you would struggle to find locals who have witnessed many of our local coaches (Brian Williams an exception) in action as players.  Sadly :-[ this especially relates to most of our greats that played in the NASL.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2005, 12:08:58 PM by Rodney »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005, 12:29:22 PM »
OH. THAT PART I know.

Look any Black man( not only the colour,the mind) including Pele did take over as T&T coach. It woulda be, wha he accomplish lately. Who he coach to win, he thiefin we money, wha he know bout coachin and we... BeenHakker come, well is ah new beginning, we stand a chance, is serious business now, some bawl Finally...If dey did keep Simoes, all kinda hope and chance.... If we lose, is TTFF, Warner, and St. Clair..
Yeah Rodney, ah know that part. I could face that.
Ah really want to hear, How Fenwick and these other guys see, not along the lines of easy kai and dunzai.but along the lines of game play What made his reading of the English game incorrect, and our game so very correct. Is it just motivation?speed? tenacity?mentality?skill?fitness?training?vision?

nb. yuh could be Black and not viewed as being Black, and yuh could be White and not viewed as being White..It is all a matter of Perception.

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2005, 02:21:15 PM »
Unfortunately I know little about the current crop of local players in the PFL but I do know Fenwick.  Its certainly not Tactical genius as that was never something Fenwick was noted for at pompey.  During the 3 full and 2 part seasons he was at Pompey the highest they finished was around 7th or 8th I think. Generally they battled against relegation during his time but the team was workmanlike, adequately organised and therefore hard to breakdown...they rarely got battered in games from what I can remember. Fenwick has always managed mediocre teams in the UK with little financial clout, but he is no Harry Redknapp...this is why he gets found out.   I think his main quality in T&T is the organisation (i.e. discipline, well structured training and preparation for games, players knowing what is expected of them) he brought to Jabloteh. Also, you cannot deny He has experience at a higher level than any local coach in T&T.  When he was first at Jabloteh he was at a club that was relatively well run and attracted the better local players(i.e. one of the Big Fish)....if either or both of these factors has changed this season, he will definitely not be as successfull as he was last time.  You make light of the point in my previous post but I genuinely think it gives him an advantage over local coaches....how many of our guys have ever played at a World Cup finals.  All of what I have outlined so far in this post plus the fact that he can get that much more effort out of his players than a local is what made him successful and others flounder.  Will he be as successful this time around.....we'll see eh! :-\

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2005, 02:42:18 PM »
thks for the info Rodney...
yes, I was a little guilty as charged, not because I think it is a non-factor, but I don't think it is a critical factor. thus yes, made lite of it. Every experience is valuable, for many the trick is application of that knowledge.

Questions.
 When Pele hit World Cup, was he a better player next World Cup due to last WC or due to natural devellopment, or Maradona ?
On coaches, does playing in a WC, make an individual a better coach ?
How many players who played in a World Cup, went on to be a successful coach ? then look at how many successful coaches, who never played in a WC.

truetrini

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2005, 03:56:23 PM »
Fenwick was de same shit hound day had Jab beating Chicago Fire 5-2 den lorsing to dem in Chicago.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2005, 04:33:56 PM »
no true trini that was hill and that was a lucky win fuh fire
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

truetrini

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2005, 04:58:21 PM »
thanks sweetie...fu de correction.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2005, 06:41:24 PM »
It seems that Jabloteh has lost quite a bit of ground and I would be surprised if Fenwick is as successful this time around.

Management is not an exact science and sometimes a manager and a club just mesh very well. Not all managers will be successful in all situations but I think that Fenwick is not a very good manager overall. If he has Jabloteh running away with the title then something is really wrong with our local coaches or he is just very lucky.

Last time around Jabloteh was a club on the rise before Fenwick took over since semi-pro days they were nearly-men, getting closer and closer each year until they finally won things.

Of course I would love to see them bounce back to form and I have nothing against bringing back a manager who had success with the club before.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2005, 07:09:04 PM »
Talking about our Local Coaches : How will they learn, and improve ?

W-connection Coach:Stuart Charles Fevrier - Technical Director.
                   Reynold Carrington - Senior Head Coach.

Defence Force -Head Coach:Kerry Jamerson

North East stars :Coach:James McLean - Guyana.

United Petrotrin: Coach: Brian Williams

Jabloteh - Head Coach:Terry Fenwick - England.
                Under-20 Coach.Holmer Klammer - Germany

Fire : Head Coach:Jamaal Shabazz - TD.Floyd Windsor.

Tobago :Coach: Peter Granville - Tobago.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2005, 07:15:39 PM »
Talking about our Local Coaches : How will they learn, and improve ?

W-connection Coach:Stuart Charles Fevrier - Technical Director.
 Reynold Carrington - Senior Head Coach.

Defence Force -Head Coach:Kerry Jamerson

North East stars :Coach:James McLean - Guyana.

United Petrotrin: Coach: Brian Williams

Jabloteh - Head Coach:Terry Fenwick - England.
 Under-20 Coach.Holmer Klammer - Germany

Fire : Head Coach:Jamaal Shabazz - TD.Floyd Windsor.

Tobago :Coach: Peter Granville - Tobago.

Max yuh trying to get Doc and dem vex or what?

Tobago is not a country   :)

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2005, 12:34:05 AM »
Oh no?
Is Trinidad one?

That came from this site. T&T Clubs

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2005, 06:48:44 AM »
Oh no?
Is Trinidad one?

OFF TOPIC

It's a pet peeve of mine that too often we say Trinidad or Tobago like they are two separate countries and not two separate locations within T&T.

In that list there to my mind if Granville is listed as Tobago then Jamers should be East or St. George's East.

I try my best whenever anyone asks where I'm from to say Trinidad and Tobago even though it might be more expedient to say Trinidad, same thing with Trini and Trinbago.

Looking at the list again though I see that it is a moot point since Stuart Charles doesn't have his country of origin listed either.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2005, 07:25:21 AM »
Oh no?
Is Trinidad one?

OFF TOPIC

It's a pet peeve of mine that too often we say Trinidad or Tobago like they are two separate countries and not two separate locations within T&T.

In that list there to my mind if Granville is listed as Tobago then Jamers should be East or St. George's East.

I try my best whenever anyone asks where I'm from to say Trinidad and Tobago even though it might be more expedient to say Trinidad, same thing with Trini and Trinbago.

Looking at the list again though I see that it is a moot point since Stuart Charles doesn't have his country of origin listed either.

Interestingly, I had a conversation with a VP of a major International Company, and he asked, my wife and I , "Why do you always say Trinidad & Tobago. Is it two seperate countries?" His point was , There are associated islands in close proximity with Italy, or France  for example. The whole is called France. Why T&T. So we said two Island, one nation. He didn't get it. "Why not one nation, one name?"

Anyway, for me, I have grown away from it. That is why I can't get into the division thing. North, South, East, West, Trinidad, Tobago, Indian, African. Living away for awhile, my experiences involve B&W. To the "below" avg. foreigner, Trinidad & Jamaica &Tobago, same khaki pants. :D 

Offline NC

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2005, 07:41:59 AM »

If you look at it another way its a bad indictment of the ablities of many of our locally based coaches...if UK failures like Fenwick and Ricky Hill can get success so easily here. Or...maybe local players just have more respect for coaches that they know have achieved what they percieve as significant things in their career. For English players, guys like Fenwick and Hill are 'a dime ah dozen'.  Most Trini's have seen video of or remember looking at these guys on TV, while you would struggle to find locals who have witnessed many of our local coaches (Brian Williams an exception) in action as players.  Sadly :-[ this especially relates to most of our greats that played in the NASL.

Colonialism!

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: April 25, 2005, 11:48:15 AM by maxg »

1]; } ?>