March 28, 2024, 01:01:30 PM

Author Topic: Aurtis Whitley vs Wayne Rooney  (Read 5401 times)

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Aurtis Whitley vs Wayne Rooney
« on: December 31, 2005, 01:15:07 AM »
I think that Aurtis Whitley can bring a Roy Keane sensation to the midfield against england. I think that Roy Keane has done well as a strong-arm midfielder in de EPL and has earned a degree of respect from the world's finest. I see Whitley as this type of player. Whitley will be one of our players to watch in the upcoming WC. I say if Whitley in form and have been briefed, Rooney aint going nowhere. Not to mention Rooney only need to problems to lose he head anyway. wha allyuh say on that match up?
Warren N. Boucaud

truetrini

Re: Aurtis Whitley vs Wayne Rooney
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 01:24:54 AM »
I think that Aurtis Whitley can bring a Roy Keane sensation to the midfield against england. I think that Roy Keane has done well as a strong-arm midfielder in de EPL and has earned a degree of respect from the world's finest. I see Whitley as this type of player. Whitley will be one of our players to watch in the upcoming WC. I say if Whitley in form and have been briefed, Rooney aint going nowhere. Not to mention Rooney only need to problems to lose he head anyway. wha allyuh say on that match up?

eh-heh?  Yuh really feel so?

based on what?

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 02:20:56 AM »
now if yuh did say Rooney vs Dennis Lawrence or Rooney vs Marvin Andrews yuh might ah sound like yuh know what yuh talking bout

Més que un club.

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005, 02:22:42 AM »
lol............ :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:......
nah breds...d only way to deal with Rooney is tuh get him sent off. ;D
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2005, 07:44:35 AM »

That's a really pathetic way to suggest how you deal with rooney it shows what you're advocating is defenders or midfielders are beaten before the game even starts and there only recourse is to committ mischief or lure him into a fight on the field is that what you're saying.

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2005, 07:51:44 AM »
Rooney has been shut down in the past, though it doesn't happen often. I think Dog would be the best one to man-mark Shrek. It's a HUGE undertaking though...

What worries me even more than Rooney is men like Peter Crouch and Zlatan Ibrahimovich. Regardless of what you think of Crouch, have we ever faced any big imposing centre-forwards like that? I'm sure Beenie will be ready for them, but it's just food for thought...

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2005, 09:13:37 AM »
Saga Pinto easy with the conspiracy theories, its not that serious. Keep yuh soccer cleets on. I agree that Rooney is pretty dangerous but the comparison that got me thinking was Whitley & Roy Keane. I think that obviously de jury is still out on Whitley because he really only start to shine at the end of de campaign but when he did he did so not in the fashion that I thought. I had de fella down for a more flamboyant midfielder and he prpbably has this capacity as well but he is right now impressing as a Defensive Midfielder along the lines of Roy and Barry Ferguson. There is no doubt in my mind that Whitley potential is immense Ithink even more so than Dog or Lawrence.

Rooney will leave Dog in de dust most times except for the couple time that Dog put it on him and slow him down. Whitley however I feel can take a kid like Rooney out of de game through man-marking. Man marking frustrates Rooney and any defender that doesn't recognize his God-like qualities and actually stays with him also is frustrating to him.  I guess the Gods will tell...
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2005, 09:16:52 AM »
Keep it comin... so far we have Lawrence marking Crouch, Dog markin Ibromavich and Whitley on Rooney. we go get all the matchups soon enough...
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2005, 10:02:14 AM »
Whitley does not play the type of game that keene does.  They are two completely different players.

Whitley is not a hard tackler and midfield hassler that keene is,  he is more of a creative mould.  The closest thing that we have to keene is birchall.  He is a hard tackler, an ever present midfielder, and has a powerfull shot.

I cannot believe that a man who see ever see whitley and keene play could ever think about comparing them!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2005, 10:31:13 AM »
I think Dog would be the best one to man-mark Shrek.

I think you talking tata..Dog is way too slow to handle Rooney.
If we do decide to try that stupid/waste of time tactic of trying to mark out Rooney or any other 'star' player..the only viable person we have to do that might be Sancho.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2005, 10:38:19 AM by Feliziano »
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2005, 10:33:40 AM »
Andre making sense.  It's all about positions fellas.  Teams rarely man mark anymore b/c of the position structures.  Closest man to the man does mark him tight. 

Although the man that may be able to do the job might be me mum...

England is going to be an ultra tough oponent and we have to be realistic as to what we can and can't do against them.
Arimian to meh heart

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2005, 10:45:09 AM »
Yeah Whitley is a creative player. He has added hard tackling to his game because we needed it. Also compared to Yorke, Birchall, Latas and Edwards he is our most powerful midfileder.

It is good for us because at the WC all them men powerful (which is why a man like Dwarika really has no chance at that level).

Look at Rooney, real skilful but one of the things that sets him apart is his physical aggression and willingness to fight lost causes that results in goals.

We got the same thing with Whitley against Mexico. Hopefully we will see it in the WC too.

THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline RGarcia

• Forward To Mid-Field to Defense
  • Hero Warrior
  • Who Jah bless, no man curse!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2005, 10:59:26 AM »
IN THE MIDDLE OF THE PITCH WHITLEY IS THE BEST MATCH UP FOR ROONEY THAT WE HAVE SHOULD BE FUN TO SEE.
All American

Offline dumpalewie

• Lewie
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2005, 11:12:16 AM »
Rooney has been shut down in the past, though it doesn't happen often. I think Dog would be the best one to man-mark Shrek. It's a HUGE undertaking though...

What worries me even more than Rooney is men like Peter Crouch and Zlatan Ibrahimovich. Regardless of what you think of Crouch, have we ever faced any big imposing centre-forwards like that? I'm sure Beenie will be ready for them, but it's just food for thought...

Crouch???

He is not really imposing, just tall and slow. He and Lawrence will cancel each other out. I would be happy to see him on the field. One less player to think about.
TnT Patriot

Offline dumpalewie

• Lewie
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2005, 11:18:14 AM »
Whitley is more of a Viera type player than a Keane type player. He is more likely to match up against Lampard for us. Using him as a manmarker would be wasting one of our best players.

Rooney is a forward so his matchup should be with someone like Sancho who has good pace. He just has to stay on his feet more.
TnT Patriot

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2005, 11:28:18 AM »

That's a really pathetic way to suggest how you deal with rooney it shows what you're advocating is defenders or midfielders are beaten before the game even starts and there only recourse is to committ mischief or lure him into a fight on the field is that what you're saying.

not exactly yuh doh have to come on SO strong he may just be implieing that Rooney is one of the best players in the world. Yuh doh have to be so judgmental of wa de man say. He jes makin a lil joke. However i do understand that your trying to set a correct approach as supporters to this match. Doh worry saga we go have the right mentalilty come start uh de match.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2005, 11:30:21 AM »

Crouch???

He is not really imposing, just tall and slow. He and Lawrence will cancel each other out. I would be happy to see him on the field. One less player to think about.

i dont kno he hasnt seemed so penatrating with Liverpool so far however when he was wit Southampton he was lookin dangerous.

And Defoe.

If he gets picked i think we'll have to keep a close eye on his pace. 

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2005, 11:30:53 AM »
I doh think Whitley and Rooney will clash as much. Whitley is a creative, attacking midfielder, and will more likely come up against Gerrard, Lampard or John Terry.

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2005, 11:31:55 AM »
I doh think Whitley and Rooney will clash as much. Whitley is a creative, attacking midfielder, and will more likely come up against Gerrard, Lampard or John Terry.

yea agreed.

Offline Cowen

• Hero Warrior
  • Conquer without risk is to triumph without Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2005, 12:41:45 PM »
I think Dog would be the best one to man-mark Shrek.

I think you talking tata..Dog is way too slow to handle Rooney.
If we do decide to try that stupid/waste of time tactic of trying to mark out Rooney or any other 'star' player..the only viable person we have to do that might be Sancho.

Not to mention Rooney has a tendency to drop deep to collect the ball when things not going his team's way. Man marking is a waste of time. Try best as piossible to look down the middle and Rooney tries to play hero.

The closest thing we had to a Roy Keane other than Birchall was Tiger Fitzpatrick ....... but he just faded .
Attended Mad Mad University
Studied Madology
Obtained a Mad Mad Degree

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2005, 04:12:37 PM »
no coach uses a midfielder to man-mark a forward. they may come in contact quite a bit becasue rooney likes to drop deep and as a midfielder Whitley will ahve defensive responsibilities, but it will not be a case of man marking. this is not a realistic thread.

also, stop jumping the gun. If Whitley gets a Premiership contract and does well, then cool. But it is ridiculous to compare him to to proven players at the highest level. Whitley has not shone at that level yet...he very well maybe able to...but until then we real jumping the gun.

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2005, 05:33:54 PM »
Whitley does not play the type of game that keene does.  They are two completely different players.

Whitley is not a hard tackler and midfield hassler that keene is,  he is more of a creative mould.  The closest thing that we have to keene is birchall.  He is a hard tackler, an ever present midfielder, and has a powerfull shot.

I cannot believe that a man who see ever see whitley and keene play could ever think about comparing them!!

I could'nt disagree with that more about birchall being the hardest tackler on the team,I agree birchall is ah hustler and he tackles as well,but spann happens to be the most consistent tackler and winner of the ball,whitley is also a winner of the ball in the middle,the concept that yuh have to be a bruiser in the middle in order to win ball is not necessarily true,I respect that birchall has a shot,but the difference is birchall shots are all bullets with accuracy and emphasis on control and placement while whitley,spann have raw aimless power that still needs to be nutured.       

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2005, 09:36:32 PM »
I stand corrected. I did mean more of a matchup vs man-marking. And I think that Spaan probably is 1sty and Whitley second in terms of de Rooney Matchup. A Pardner a mine tell meh today that de man that go put it on Rooney is Cyd Gray... he must be know what he talkin bout. and I was not comparing the players but rather the matchup...
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline Solo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2006, 01:30:47 PM »
A couple of points here, just my opinion dred

Regardless of how well he looked, Whitley is at his best when he plays as an attacking midfielder supoorting the forwards by holding up the ball and making incisive final passes plays or taking the shots like he did against Mexico in POS.

What Whitley did in the first match against Bahrain is not the norm for him it was because ( up until he scored) Birchie was not playing his position well and Whitley was playing deep to provide some defensive support in the middle. Whitley is more the finesse attacker than the kick-em-down hard tackling men like Keane.

Against England Whitley will probably see more of Lampard or John Terry etc instead of Rooney if he plays attacking.  Nobody from our team will be able to man-mark Rooney in a world cup game to any great effect. We do not have an Essien in the squad so forget it. Rooney is not only too athletic but also capable of taking shots from anywhere. The best thing to do is try to cut off the supply to him than man mark him.

We have a better chance playing a 4-5-1 against England than a more attacking formation and concentrating on one or two players. England has too many proven scorers so you have to frustrate them by keeping the ball, taking away their outside crossing game ( Beckham etc) and keeping the ball on the ground. They will try to play their defence very high so we can use a speedy striker to try some counter-attacks late in the game.We need some divine intervention ( like Ronaldinho's free kick) to score against them. They have temperamental players whose buttons can be pushed - Rooney, Beckham, Ferdinand - and yes pushing other players buttons is part of the game.

Cyd is more likely to be dealing with Joe Cole and Ashley Cole than Rooney, as Rooney is neither played nor does not attack much down the left.

Ah might be wrong but is just my two cents dred.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2006, 02:29:34 PM »
In my opinion I believe Whitley should take responsibility for Lampard. If you shut off englands supply and force the strikers to drop deep to get service, we could cause things to happen. Rooney to me is overated, but then again it isnt like he is total mess either.Dog and Lawrence definately too slow to handle him, best bet is cyd gray or spann. Once you keep rooney quiet, shut down englands midfield especially lampard and gerrard and beckham with the cross ball, we should be able to at least get points from it.Also employing some quick strikers like Jones and Glenn, could have Rio dancing.Jones especially cause he big and could match up to Rio physically.england, especially if eriksson stick with the general team he picks can be beaten by us. Personally i fraid sweden a lot more especially zlatan.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2006, 04:06:29 PM »
Jones is over rated and if he dont step up he will lose more. For a man with his size, height, strength and speed he should be doing much better, he strugles to control the ball and he is not clinical with his finishing, he also fights with the ball to much, he does make de ball control him instead of him controling de ball.

Solo is right, them English players does get donkey courage fast, so we need to work on that and throw them off.

4-5-1 vs England and Sweden might be best, we play Paraguay last so we might have to go all out and attack, them eh no shit side, we are in a hard group, it not bad, but it eh no walk in de park.

Rooney is a good striker, trust me, he have talent, he fast and dont fraid to shoot, he strong on de ball also, his weakness is his mentality, he does lose it fast.

Owen will be back I am sure for the world cup, and if not we still have to worry about Defoe, Crouch and Vassell. Forget about they midfield, England have a boss midfield, Phillips faster than light, Beckham good with crosses and free kicks, something Jack cant handle, Lampard and Gerrard is just bosses. Downing and Joe Cole good on de left wing also. England just better than us, man for man, we will have to come up BIG even for a tie..

Out of all de foreign players, I wish we get Samuel, Rocastle and Ellington and we good to go. If only de PNM could help we here with Rocastle and Ellington..
« Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 04:11:41 PM by Flex »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Solo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2006, 08:28:59 PM »
Rooney to me is overated, but then again it isnt like he is total mess either.

Rooney...overrrated? I cant agree with you on that at all Trinibourbon.  I would agree with Sam about Jones being a bit overrated, a bit too excitable and hence hurries his shots. He could learn a lot from men like Hasselbaink and Jason Roberts about how to use his size and touch better and how to be patient yet deadly in the box with the ball at his feet.

For Rooney. this is his first World Cup we talking about dred. Playing for England turns him into an animal. Did you see him in his first international competition in Euro 2005? The boy was in devastating form then and I expect that he will be a much bigger menace in de WC.

Offline naps_girl_7

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2006, 09:27:43 PM »

Crouch???

aye nah, doh be underestimating Crouch fuh meh please. he definitely IS a threat, whether we realize it or not.
and Rooney is overrated in some respects, it depends on how you look at it really.
T&T... WE WANT AH GOAL!!!

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2006, 09:35:39 PM »

Crouch???

aye nah, doh be underestimating Crouch fuh meh please. he definitely IS a threat, whether we realize it or not.
and Rooney is overrated in some respects, it depends on how you look at it really.

crouch has his days. when he has his stuff he can be dangerous.
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline naps_girl_7

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2006, 09:58:05 PM »

crouch has his days. when he has his stuff he can be dangerous.

exactly.
T&T... WE WANT AH GOAL!!!

1]; } ?>