Rangers dump Casino Boys in Lucozade Shield opener.

St Ann’s Rangers registered a 2-1 comeback victory against Ma Pau SC thanks to second half strikes by Errol Mc Farlane and Jerome Charles to secure their place in the quarterfinals of the Lucozade Sport Goal Shield.

Rangers are now seeded to face San Juan Jabloteh on June 12 in their quarterfinal match following their hard fought victory at the Marvin Lee Stadium on Friday.

Tobagonian Trevin Caesar had Ma Pau ahead in the 52nd minute through a brilliant strike however that was erased and overtaken by the Rangers’ strikes.

But it was Ma Pau who enjoyed the better chances of the match.

Seconds before the half Anthony Wolfe raced into the Rangers area leaving the defence in his pace, however he ended it with a shot directly at goalkeeper Javan Seegobin who collected thankfully in what was probably the best opening of the match.

A few minutes earlier, centre forward Trevin Caesar missed the mark from inside the area as both teams had to settle for a 0-0 score at the half.

Seven minutes into the second half Trevin Caesar struck goal, running onto a long ball forward by Lyndon Andrews past the rangers defence and finished brilliant into the roof of Seegbin’s net 1-0.

But two minutes later Errol Mc Farlane levelled the scores 1-1 heading past Curtis Granger from Josimar Belgrave right side free kick.

Coach Anthony Streete then introduced Devon Modeste—coming into his first match for the season following a four match suspension which he picked up in the 2008 Toyota Classic final against winners San Juan Jabloteh—replacing Kerron Cordner.

Trevin Caesar continued to be a threat on the Rangers’ defence and had a wonderful strike which whisked overbar from the right in the 69th minute.

However Rangers took the lead in the 71st minute 2-1 when Jerome Charles at far post met Josimar Jelgrave’s long cross and calmly knocked the ball past his former teammate, goalkeeper Shane Mattis.

Ma Pau’s Michael Mc Comie resorted to introduced striker Shandel Samuel later on in attack replacing Anthony Guppy in hopes of levelling the scores, but that never came.

Rashad Wint missed the equalizing moment in injury time when he completely missed a low cross above the six yard area as Rangers defence survived a late bombardment of attacks by Ma Pau.

Ma Pau SC 1—2 St Ann’s Rangers
Trevin Caesar 52’ ; Errol Mc Farlane 54’, Jerome Charles 71’

Ma Pau SC—Shane Mattis, Lyndon Andrews (capt), Anthony Wolfe, Curtis Gonzales, Kevin Molineau, Mikeil Williams, Anthony Guppy (Shandel Samuel), Akeem Benjamin, Dwane James, Trevin Caesar, Reshad Wint.

Coach—Michael Mc Comie.

St Ann’s Rangers—Javan Seegobin, Errol Mc Farlane (capt), Jerome Charles, Elijah Belgrave, Christon Thomas, Josimar Belgrave, Keeron Cordner (Devon Modeste), Stephon Morris (Jovica Bristol), Javon Wilson, Jevon Morris.

Coach—Anthony Streete.

Aloema saves Tobago for Lucozade quarterfinal spot.

Coach Peter Granville made a masterstroke on Friday night replacing goalkeeper Richard Reynolds seconds before the final whistle with a safe pair of gloves in Ronny Aloema to earn a penalty 5-3 win against Police FC in their Lucozade Sport Goal Shield qualifier.

Aloema, who saved the Tobagonians from the penalty spot against FC South End in a shootout, did the same coming on as sub for another shootout after their contest against Police ended goalless at the Marvin Lee Stadium.

Aloema made a brilliant shut-out on Kaaron Foster in Police’s fourth kick as the Tobagonians celebrated a 5-3 penalty win and their place in the quarterfinals against United Petrotrin on Friday 12.

It just wasn’t Kaaron Foster’s night, following misses inside the first 10 minutes of the match.

Foster struck just over bar from inside the area in the 4th minute and five minutes he hooked a low effort into the side netting.

On the other end Reginald Payne missed a golden opportunity in the 31st minute hitting over bar from inside the area after a neat cutback pass by Dwayne Jack.

Foster was the liveliest for Police but was denied again three minutes from the half after goalkeeper Richard Reynolds made a block-out to keep the scores levelled at 0-0 at the break.

Twenty minutes inside the second half Kayode McKinnon tried to lead as captain and had a go at goal from distance but his effort was well overbar failing to force a save out of Anthony Marshall.

Two minutes later Payne was again off target hitting over as the match looked destined for a goalless encounter.

The last best effort came two minutes from time when Jamal Jack punched the ground in dismay after his header on goal took a deflection on defender Devon Bristol and out of play only winning a corner after a neat cross Javin Crawford.

Tobago United head coach Peter Granville then made a decisive change in injury time replacing goalkeeper Richard Reynolds with the gloves of Ronny Aloema to save them on penalties just as he did in the shootout against FC SouthEnd.


Tobago United 5    -    Police FC 3
Kayode Mc Kinnon (scored)  -  Christopher Sam (scored)
Carrey Harris (scored)  -  Jason Eastman (scored)
Sean Cooper (scored)  -  Randy Harris (scored)
Keith James (scored)  -  Kaaron Foster (saved)
Reginald Payne (scored)

Tobago United—Richard Reynold, Kayode McKinnon, Reginald Payne, Kelvin Smith, Javin Crawford, Carrey Harris, Jamal Jack, Dwayne Jack (Keith James 80th), Tichard Joseph (Durwin Ross 68th), Akeno Morgan.

Coach—Peter Granville.

Police FC—Anthony Marshall, Devon Bristol, Keon Archie (capt), Terryl Elwin (Hayden Jones 74th), Kaaron Foster, Keion Wilson, Ricardo Peltier (Christopher Sam 74th), Randy Harris, Dwight Elliot, Todd Ryan (Anthony Cambell 84th ), Jason Eastman.

Coach—Ricahrd De Coteau.
Tobago beat South End in Lucozade penalty shootout.

Tobago United second choice goalkeeper Ronny Aloema proved the bigger man in goal when he helped his side beat FC SouthEnd 4-2 from the penalty shootout booking their spot in the Lucozade Sport Goal Shield qualifier against Police.

SouthEnd’s Sean Leoung-Tat failed to help his team on the fourth kick hitting well over bar after Aloema made a brilliant save to deny Brenton De Leon in the earlier kick.

By that time Tobago United were 4-2 up following Kayode McKinnon, Sean Cooper, Keith James and Reginald Payne strikes even through Carey Harris was denied by the upright in the second kick.

South End goalie Perry Martin got his glove Cooper’s strike however the ball still made its way to nestle at the back the net.

Tobago advanced to play Police in the first carded match of the Lucozade Sport Goal Shield qualifier at the Marvin Lee Stadium in which they went on to win on penalties 5-3 thanks again to the heroics of Aloema in post—this time coming on as a substitute goalie seconds from the final whistle.

Penalty kickers

Tobago United 4    -    FC South End 2
Kayode McKinnon (scored)  -  Sylvester Teesdale (scored)
Carey Harris (missed)  -  Kurt Williams (scored)
Sean Cooper (scored)  -  Brenton De Leon (saved)
Keith James (scored)  -  Sean Leoung-Tat (missed)
Reginald Payne (scored)