Thu, Jul


DEFENCE FORCE booked a September 18 First Citizens Cup quarter-final meeting with Caledonia AIA after edging Tobago United 2-1 in a preliminary round play-off on Friday at the Ato Boldon Stadium, Couva.

First half goals by Devon Jorsling and Kerry Joseph gave Defence Force victory in the first match of the doubleheader, while St Ann's Rangers also reached the quarters, after beating South End United 2-0 on spot-kicks after they played out a 2-2 tie earlier.

Defence Force looked the better team early on, and Tobago goalkeeper Ronny Aloema was called into action early to push over Kevon Carter's shot from inside the penalty area. The "Army" finally broke the deadlock in the 21st minute when Jorsling finished off a low cross from Carter from inside the penalty area.

At one stage, it was all Defence Force but they were unable to put away their chances. Finally, the soldiers broke through again in the 38th when Kerry Joseph curled the rebound inside the far corner after an initial shot from Jorsling crashed off the Tobago crossbar.

Tobago worked to cut the lead and had a few chances. Guyanese Collie Hercules' pass picked out Jamal Jack approaching the penalty area, but the striker blasted wide of goal. And striker Tichard Joseph also hammered just wide after meeting Benjamin Dottino's right-side cross early in the second half.

Tobago had their keeper Aloema to thank for keeping them in the match after he stopped Carter from getting to a through ball in the 68th, because in the 74th, utility player Dwayne Jack was able to score to reduce the lead to just one goal. Jack, a former Trinidad & Tobago central defender, chested down Joseph's left cross and drilled the ball past Army keeper Kevin Graham. Tobago tried unsuccessfully to pull level and ended the match with ten men after Jamal Jack picked up a second yellow card in injury time.

Tobago United 1-2 Defence Force
Dwayne Jack 74' ; Devorn Jorsling 21', Kerry Joseph 38'

Tobago United--Ronny Aleoma, Kayode McKinnon (capt), Collie Hercules,  Javin Crawford, Carey Harris, Jamal Jack, Durwin Ross, Tichard Joseph, Jamal Spencer, Dwayne Jack (Yellow), Benjamin Dottino.

Technical Director--Peter Granville.

Defence Force--Kevin Graham, Corey Rivers (capt), Rawle Fletcher (Yellow), Devin Jordan, Devon Jorsling (Richard Roy 84th), Kerry Joseph (Yellow), Kevon Carter (Balindumo Julius 78th), Anton Joseph, Sean Narcis, Dexter Pacheco, Ronald St Louis (Keston Williams 78th).

Coach--Ross Russell.

Rangers defeat South End on penalties for First Citizens quarters spot.
By: Randy Bando (ttproleague).

St Ann's Rangers registered a 2-0 penalty win over FC South End to book its place against Bmobile Joe Public in the quarterfinals of the 2009 First Citizens Cup next Friday.

Rangers' players Josimar Belgrave and Jovica Bristol were the only two scorers from the spot after goalkeepers Aquelius Sylvester and Fortunato Valcourt both made brilliant saves on penalties.

Rangers had rallied from a goal down to a 2-1 agvantage against  9-man FC SouthEnd 2-1 in the second qualifier at the Ato Boldon Stadium on Friday night.

But second half substitute Kenrick Ettienne levelled the scores 2-2 in the 86th minute guiding an Anthony Rougier corner past Valcourt and in the end sending the match into penalties.

Anthony Rougier had South End up 1-0 eleven minutes into the match, but second half goals by Rangers' Keston Hamilton and Devon Modeste paved the way for an interesting finish after two SouthEnd players picked up yellow cards.

Eight minutes into the match and Rangers' goalkeeper Fortunato Valcourt was in action tipping over an Anthony Haynes effort.

But in the 11th minute the Haitian goalie allowed Anthony Rougier's shot from just inside the area to slip beneath him as South End enjoyed a 1-0 advantage.

Rougier tested Valcourt again in the 15th minute, this time from above the area and directly at the Rangers goalie.

Rangers' captain Devon Modeste had decent diving header attempt in the 26th minute after meeting Christon Thomas' cross from the right.

South End then struck themselves a blow in the 29th minute falling a man short after Sadiki Stewart picked up his second yellow card for kicking away the ball after referee Gorgon Maloney stopped play.

But that didn't down South End. In the 41st Eddison Smart made a bursting run down the right and unleashed a shot on goal which was match by Fortunato's blockout.

And seconds later after a good buildup forced a yellow card on Fortunato who pulled down a Rangers player just outside the area. The resulting free kick was chipped just over by Rougier.

South End maintained its 1-0 advantage at the break, thanks to the early strike by technical director/player Anthony Rougier however failed to do so in the second period.

Three minutes into the second period and Rangers failed to level the scores when Devon Modeste guided Christon Thomas' low cross just wide of Aquelius Sylvester's near upright.

But five minutes later was the turning point for Rangers.

Wingback Keston Hamilton directed a lose ball on the right towards goal and it took a deflection to beat Sylvester as Rangers levelled the scores 1-1.

Two minutes later Modeste had Rangers in drivers seat with a 2-1 score sliding in to direct Josimar Belgrave's cross into the South End net.

South End fell another man short on the hour mark when captain Anthony Haynes picked up a direct red card for what referee Maloney deemed a harsh challenge.

South End goalie Sylvester made a brilliant shutout eight minutes from time to deny Josimar Belgrave giving his side some hope of a comeback.

Second half substitute Kenrick Ettienne proved to be a super sub for coach Leroy De Leon when he equalized for the southeners four minutes from time guiding Anthony Rougiers' corner past Valcourt for a 2-2 score which later forced the match to be decided on kicks from the penalty spot.

Penalty kicks
St Ann's Rangers (2)         FC South End (0)
Josimar Belgrave (scored) Anthony Rougier (saved)
Adrian Narine (missed)     Kenrick Ettienne (saved)
Devon Modeste (saved)   Edison Smart (missed)
Coneal Thomas (saved)    Larry Bacchus (saved)
Jovica Bristol (scored)

Fulltime score
St Ann's Rangers (2) 2-2 (0) FC South End
Keston Hamilton 53', Devon Modeste 55' ; Anthony Rougier 11', Kenrick Ettiene 86'

St Ann's Rangers--Fortunato Valcourt (Yellow), Devon Modeste (capt) Husani Thomas (Jovica Bristol 75th), Coneal Thomas, Elijah Belgrave, Christon Thomas, Josimar Belgrave, Javon Wilson, Keston Hamilton (Yellow), Adrian Narine, Nicholas Valentine.

Coach--Anthony Streete.

FC South End--Aquelius Sylvester, Anthony Haynes (capt) (Red Card), Marlon Stoute, Larry Bacchus, Eddison Smart, Adarayll John, Sadiki Stewart (Y+Y=Red Card), Rondon James (Kenrick Ettienne), Dexter Alleyne, Kendell Eddie, Anthony Rougier.

Coach--Leroy De Leon.