Tue, Jun


W. Connection escaped another rescheduled fixture yesterday evening as the late intervention of an electrician rescued their T&TFF FA Trophy clash with A to Z United, which was initially called off due to malfunctioning lights at the Ato Boldon Stadium, Couva.

It was the only scare Connection received yesterday evening as they cruised to a 5-1 win over the Central Football Association (CFA) team after being three goals clear by the halftime break.

The 2008 Pro League runners-up started a largely second string outfit but were still easily superior. Connection cruised to a three-goal lead within the opening 20 minutes as Teba McKnight, Ishmael Daniel and Kerron Smith all cashed in on the nerves-if not the poor technical skills-of A to Z custodian John Richardson.

After a half hour punctuated by dropped catches, Richardson was furiously rubbing the back of his head while looking imploringly at the near empty substitute's bench. A to Z, as it turned out, failed to walk with proper identification for six of their players and managed to register just 14 players for their biggest game this season.

There seemed to be a reprieve of sorts for Richardson at the halftime interval when lights went out at the Couva venue, the operational base for the Sports Company of Trinidad and Tobago, and several players had already showered when, after a 45-minute lapse, the lights flickered back on.

A to Z started the second half with gusto but were soon four goals behind as Connection substitute Ronaldo Viana scored with a well placed free kick in the 60th minute. And, finally, Richardson was replaced by his imperiously named deputy, Gadaffie Mohammed.

Mohammed actually held on to a cross, albeit on the second attempt, and fended out a Smith drive before another experienced Connection sub, Hughtun Hector, beat him with a fierce drive in the 77th minute.

But there was some consolation as, in a rare expedition in the opposing penalty area, Andy Garcia fell over while being embraced by Connection's Colombian defender Eder Gilmar Arias and a penalty was awarded.

Bobby Sookraj's spot kick was blocked by the legs of another Connection South American import, Brazilian goalkeeper Murilo Da Costa, but Sookraj followed up successfully with his head.

It was as good as it got for the vastly outplayed zonal outfit.