Wed, Feb


MA PAU is currently in fourth spot in the Digicel Pro League after a convincing 3-1 win over St Ann’s Rangers at the Marvin Lee Stadium in Tunapuna on Saturday.

Trinidad and Tobago Under-20 midfielder Kevin Molino put Ma Pau ahead in the 51st minute before former national striker Errol McFarlane equalised, with a 61st minute penalty.

Sayid Freitas restored the lead for Ma Pau in the 82nd minute while another ex-TT striker, Anthony Wolfe, guaranteed full points for Ma Pau with a 90th minute penalty.

Caledonia AIA continued their impressive start to the season as they blanked FC South End 2-0 at the Ato Boldon Stadium in Couva, with Kerry Daniel (25th) and in-form striker Keyon Edwards (75th) getting their names on the scoresheet.

The United Petrotrin/Joe Public clash at the Palo Seco Recreation Ground, which ended in a goal-less draw, was an ill-tempered affair.

Tempers flared after the game, which saw three red cards, issued to Joe Public’s temperamental forward Gorean Highley and the evergreen Dale Saunders, in either half, as well as ex-national captain and Petrotrin midfielder Aurtis Whitley, in the first-half.

Petrotrin’s manager Larry Lalchan was ordered off the bench by the officials due to dissent. A double-header was staged at the Marvin Lee Stadium on Friday night.

In the first match, San Juan Jabloteh continued their unbeaten run courtesy of a 3-0 win over Police. The result was sealed when Jabloteh got a trio of goals within the first 11 minutes, from wing-backs Noel Williams, Sheldon Bateau and striker Jason Marcano.

There was little of note thereafter, but both teams finished the game with ten men, due to red cards for Police defender Devon Bristol in the 85th minute and Williams in stoppage time.

Defence Force was seeking to exact a measure of revenge on W Connection, who triumphed 3-0 over the Army-Coast Guard combination, in the Lucozade Goal Shield final a week earlier.

In fact, Defence Force looked more threatening in the first half, but Jerwyn Balthazar (19th minute), Kevon Carter (38th) and Sean Narcis (45th) failed to break the deadlock.

Connection got into their stride early in the second half, with Jonathan Frias (46th) and central defender Renato Pereira (52nd) forcing saves from D/Force’s goalkeeper Kevin Graham.

Devon Jorsling muffed a golden opportunity, hitting straight at Connection’s goalie Miguel Lloyd in the 66th minute, and that error proved costly as substitute Andrei Pacheco got Connection’s opener in the 70th, volleying home from the left after he got a deep cross from overlapping wing-back Kern Cupid.

Another reserve, Richard Roy, tied up the scores in the 90th minute, with a deflected 20-minute freekick, after fellow sub Owen Matthew was impeded by Nickcolson Thomas.

But Connection had the last laugh a minute later, as Andre Toussaint collected Thomas’ back-heel, went past defender Michael Edwards and the advancing Graham before picking out an unmarked Frias who finished in clinical fashion.

Action in Round One Match Day Nine is due to take place tomorrow.