June 10, 2024, 02:37:18 AM

Author Topic: Scotish Premier League - Celtic vs Falkirk  (Read 1555 times)

Offline Lower St. John

• It's All About Unity, Togetherness..........
  • Hero Warrior
  • Don't cry as it's over, continue to enjoy it.
    • View Profile
Scotish Premier League - Celtic vs Falkirk
« on: October 04, 2006, 07:14:05 PM »
I would like to get some forumites opinion on the Scottish Premier League.  I am looking at the Falkirk vs. Celtic game from last Sunday with our boy Latapy on Setanta, and I am so unimpressed with the brand of football that I am seriously considering switching to a baseball game.  Imagine that.  (The Falkirk ground looking like Skinner Park with one big stand and some cow sheds.)  This is the second game with Falkirk and Latapy that I am watching and it is boring.  Worst sentiments were felt when I watched Samuel playing a game for Dundee United (that look like wild man football).  The quality of play is hard to stomach.

Surprisingly, Latapy is playing in a position a little above the defense (truly a defensive mid) with little movement forward into the Celtic half.  To be honest Latpay walk for almost 35 minutes of the first half of this Celtics game.  The game with Falkirk versus Rangers, he played a similar role with very little attacking running.  To be honest, the commentators are truly in love with Latapy and will point out how fearful the opposition are of him.  But he is not doing anything in attack.  To watch Latas try to close down men, not really tackling and simply moving around in front of the defense.  In this Celtic game, the only time Latas has truly entered the attacking third of the field is to take the corners or set pieces.  The funny thing is that this Falkirk team desperately needs a midfield player with vision and to me the coach wasting Latas ability in Falkirk's defensive third of the pitch.  Damn Latas hardly crossing half line.

Whenever Latas touches the ball you can't miss his class.  There was one turn early in the game that was so smooth, they replayed it.  He is truly class in tight spaces but his work rate is not there.

I going and check the final score in this game to consider if it worth watching to the end.

Blessings
Germany 2006 Was A Lifetime Experience Not To Be Forgotten!!!!!!!!!

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Scotish Premier League - Celtic vs Falkirk
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 07:35:26 PM »
And theoblad ketch he skin to break into this league the coach say he not ready fuh the first team when he arrived? boy what yuh saying
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Lower St. John

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 07:42:21 PM »
And theoblad ketch he skin to break into this league the coach say he not ready fuh the first team when he arrived? boy what yuh saying

You have to be talking tongue in cheek or never see this Falkirk side play.  Well it is what it is.  Maybe Theobald was right when he said that he did not think he was getting a fair chance.  But at the end of the day that side aint special with Lats playing in defense.  Or maybe Theobald aint good enough.  Who knows.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 07:44:48 PM »
Now I didn't watch this game but read a few match reports on it. To be fair that was a real low-key performance by Celtic and we all know they could play real ball. Add to that Falkirk are basically SPL minnows...Falkirk is a small town so doh expect them to have a flashy stadium.

De game ended 1-0 to a late winner by Celtic...basically the reports confirm Falkirk played more neatly and intelligently and did not deserve to lose. They have been improving over the past months from what I notice...they get good results against teams like Rangers, Celtic, Motherwell etc. However, they would be nothing much without Latapy. This ain't bias talking here. They frequently buckle under pressure though.

Also

Latapy doh play for Falkirk the way he played for us in games like Guatemala, Mexico and Paraguay. For Falkirk he barely runs...he more so saunters around the field...looking to give a defense-splitting pass, or set a sweet play. Even when he have the ball to net he won't run, instead kinda twist and turn, find a hole and curl it goalwards. It works. He scores sweet goals when he does score, and he prob has most amount of assists since joining that club.

That is one of the reasons I real admire Latas. He not as fast or agile as he used to be, but he adapted to his body's changes and is just as effective. That is class for you.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 07:46:38 PM by Grande man »

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 07:45:53 PM »
the way you describe it, it sounds like he's kind of a deep mid - like andrea pirlo. well, creative players can play from deep too.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 07:49:16 PM »
the way you describe it, it sounds like he's kind of a deep mid - like andrea pirlo. well, creative players can play from deep too.

I think for this Celtic game in particular Hughes prob put Latas in the back to gather possession, retain time and maybe set some plays (sort of de way Beenie sub him in 2nd leg Bahrain), since Celtic known for their attacking nature.

Doh know if that worked cause I didn't see Latas mentioned in the match reports at all.

Otherwise he does definitely be in the front half of de field.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 10:05:12 PM by Grande man »

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Lower St. John

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 08:03:25 PM »

Agreed, I always remember Poland's Zbigniew Boniek playing a similar role in the 1986 World Cup.  The only problem with Latas and Falkirk was that he was never in the play or having any big deal of possession.  Up until he was substituted in the 85th minute, Latas must have touched the ball less than 20 times (including corners), I might be exaggerating a bit but only a bit.  The play never started or went thru him.  I was frustrated looking at it.

Blessings

1]; } ?>