June 04, 2024, 06:24:11 PM

Author Topic: Poor response to football coaches clinic in Tobago  (Read 10552 times)

Offline Richard G.

• Sr. Warrior
  • Ah en new...jus doh post as often as oda people
    • View Profile
Re: Poor response to football coaches clinic in Tobago
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2006, 12:42:38 PM »
Look. I will not defend Tobago coaches too much for not going to the clinic. In fact this is what keeps the level of coaching down not just in Tobago but in Trinidad, as well as in other developing football countries.

This is nuttin new. I remember back in the day Shaka Hislop came to Tobago to do a Goalkeeper clinic and I was the only GK that showed up. With the only other people there being my father, Shaka and one of the Officials with the TFA. I was stunned and dismayed but enjoyed every minute of it. You would have thought all the coaches on the island would at least try to send their keeper to the session. No. Instead one Young GK who wanted to learn showed up.

I personally don't think many people want to understand the basics of being a coach and how to develop those young talents they attempt to coach. Back home mentality, maybe but I also think it's more a case of...OK I got this piece of paper saying I attended and completed some coaching course. What the hell next? I cannot aford to leave my home/family/job/way of living to struggle one way or the other chasing some unattainable dream. What do I do?

Unfortunate, but maybe if we understand that the food chain begins somewhere and they (the coaches back home) are the beginning of that chain, then maybe we might get some of our local coaches actually taking a more serious look at further pursuing their talents as coaches.

The TFA full a shi...., They get a 50% turn out and they dissapointed, that is a significant improvement. They know that in Tobago a coaches license doh mean a thing. As far as Tobagonians concern, Tobago have 4 coaches (St. Clair, Granville, Terry Williams and Ralph "Arab" Nelson) , and 4 teams (Coaching School, Phoenix, Stokely Vale, and Tobago United).

Now I agree that Bago coaches should attend the clinics, but when I hear about a 50% turn out, it left a good feeling inside, because in the past it would have been less. Well done Bago boyz.  :beermug: 

Baygo Boy right. Back in de day it woulda be less, maybe 4 if so much. At least some other coaches are beginning to understand we need many more coaches home to do what's needed.

Lata and enjoy de day.
Richard G.

T&T first. Any other country comes a very distant 2nd.

www.soundcloud.com/dcoachg
www.soundcloud.com/dcoachg2
www.soundcloud.com/dcoachg3

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2006, 01:34:39 PM »
Trinbago, The d license course, Is designed to prepare a coach for youth (u-12) coaching, so revisiting is not something a coach like Granville or any senior coach needs to do. The course involves basic training etc. Now if you are saying he should have particpated as a show of support for the TFA etc, then I cannot argue, but to get a refresher, it's not necessary it will waste his time.
What if the established coaches just be given the opportunity to challenge the D licence and all other levels of licences. That way the FF can say YES all we coaches have the PAPER to go with their experience.
I know sometimes it does be HARD when the rules require a piece of paper and men have DONKEY years experience.

i working in ah hanger and it have men who fixing plane years now and schoolboys comming right out ah college and making more than them cause they have de required liscense
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline CK1

• Sr. Warrior
  • Man of Faith and Integrity
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2006, 01:49:20 PM »
Coops...I like your vibes on this one.
You cannot coach here in the US in certain environments unless you have a license. Education is education on any level...in the ever evolving modern game of football you have to keep up with new trends; ideas and technology.
There is so much more you learn about football once you go from playing to coaching, and so much more you learn about coaching once you go from course to course.
Remember...just because I pass my A' Levels doesn't mean I can be an effective teacher, I have to go to Teachers Training College to become a master of my skill and further expand my knowledge base of my subject area...in this case " football".
Jesus Christ...King of Kings and Lord of Lords!

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2006, 02:10:20 PM »
As somebody say, then dey go say we givin foreigners the wok !!!
Warrior For Life !!

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2006, 02:16:09 PM »
Trinbago, The d license course, Is designed to prepare a coach for youth (u-12) coaching, so revisiting is not something a coach like Granville or any senior coach needs to do. The course involves basic training etc. Now if you are saying he should have particpated as a show of support for the TFA etc, then I cannot argue, but to get a refresher, it's not necessary it will waste his time.
What if the established coaches just be given the opportunity to challenge the D licence and all other levels of licences. That way the FF can say YES all we coaches have the PAPER to go with their experience.
I know sometimes it does be HARD when the rules require a piece of paper and men have DONKEY years experience.
It's really hard because i used to think that way too,until i realize if i wanted to live and make money through Football i had to get the papers,one thing i can say is that i am lucky to have a boss who makes sure i go and take the courses,he even pays for them.

We are lucky that T&T don't have a lot of qualified Coaches so everybody coaches,but that's changing gradually the qualified ones going to get the best jobs and make the most money,at the moment a lot of Coaches coach for nothing because they are not qualified and they don't realize that,if our players are to improve our Coaches have to improve themselves.

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2006, 02:49:08 PM »
My thinking is that the course is ideal for players and elementary school coaches/teachers. Once you play at a certain level here in the USA, you get exempted from those state courses and proceed to the national level courses.
The structure of a lot of the clubs I know of in Tobago, is quite loose. When this information was transmitted to the clubs, what did it say? and when was it received? These are important questions as well. Was it in the daily papers also? Was it invitation only?
I'll be speaking to the coach of a club in country this weekend and hear from him what he knew of this situation. :-\ :-\
I attended a players training program that Pargy held for elementary school players in '69, and didn't encounter that level of technical detail until I did the C licence. What does that say or mean? ??? ???
« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 09:10:27 PM by doc »
Live large and prosper!

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2006, 08:42:00 PM »
Coops...I like your vibes on this one.
You cannot coach here in the US in certain environments unless you have a license. Education is education on any level...in the ever evolving modern game of football you have to keep up with new trends; ideas and technology.
There is so much more you learn about football once you go from playing to coaching, and so much more you learn about coaching once you go from course to course.
Remember...just because I pass my A' Levels doesn't mean I can be an effective teacher, I have to go to Teachers Training College to become a master of my skill and further expand my knowledge base of my subject area...in this case " football".

maybe the teacher was not a big drawing card ?? what if carlos perreira was giving that same course in Tobago ...I bet even some trinis would have given their adresses as store bay, bon accord ..mey fadder from deh !

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2006, 08:52:49 PM »
My thinking is that the course is ideal for players and elementary school coaches/teachers. Once you play at a certain level here in the USA, you get exempted from those state courses and proceed to the national level courses.
The structure of a lot of the clubs I know of in Tobago, is quite loose. When this information was transmitted to the clubs, what did it say? and when was it received? These are important questions as well. Was it in the daily papers also? Was it invitation only?
I'll be speaking to the coach of a club in country this weekend and hear from him what he knew of this situation. :-\ :-\
I attended a players training program that Pargy held for elementary school players in '69, and didn't encounter that leve of technical detail until I did the C licence. What does that say or mean? ??? ???

doc this is new are you currently coaching now
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2006, 09:07:00 PM »
I attended a players training program that Pargy held for elementary school players in '69, and didn't encounter that leve of technical detail until I did the C licence. What does that say or mean? ??? ???

doc this is new are you currently coaching now

Just a student of the game, sir
« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 09:09:12 PM by doc »
Live large and prosper!

truetrini

« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2006, 09:21:26 PM »
coaches in trinidad and tobago need to do everything possibe and take advantage of this chance.  Go and get that D then go through the next levels.  BE willing to learning.

Yeah i would assume Granville have at least something above a D license he spent time in the US   .I believe he did some in England playing pro so that alone should allow him to be exempt from that D level thing.
granville got his coaching qualification from england if u need 2 know and he finished top of his class.
 1 must be always willing to learn but  if u walking would u go to a clinic that teaches  u how to creep ?
and if i consider my self a serious coach and i am coaching for more than 5 yrs ( like most of the coaches in bago 1st divison) i think i am insulted by u hosting a 2 wkend course 4 me. nah man a 2wkend course? steupsssss is dat a "just add water" course.

so wait!  Yuh saying dat because ah man or woman wukking as a legal assistant and dey have some knowledge den dey could go tuh court and defend ah man who on charges?

steups.

If dem fellas feel dey too good fuh de D License because dey know too much already..dey is real assholes!

Afetr the D is C and den B and den A!

There is a natural progression in life.  Plenty man learn how to play football, but dey lacking de basics..same with coaching. 

Take de D course and den move up!

If yuh eh have de necessary number ah O levels, yuh cyar get de wuk.  So keep saying I living long time and I know more den some 17 year old with 6 O Levels..den apply fuh de wuk and see who get it!

Is toatal assness dat dem fellas eh take de course....!

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2006, 09:42:54 PM »
TEL DEM JACK....OOPS...AH MEAN TRUETRINI...yuh pic study makin meh laugh boy !!
Warrior For Life !!

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2006, 10:22:43 PM »
is richard G richard goddard former national youth goal keeper?
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2006, 06:20:35 AM »
TEL DEM JACK....OOPS...AH MEAN TRUETRINI...yuh pic study makin meh laugh boy !!
:rotfl:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline Baygo Boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2006, 12:25:43 PM »
Some have implied that the coaches that didn't attend the clinic were stupid for not taking the opportunity, I  have a problem with that assumption.  Let's not forget that a number of those gentlemen work, and several work in the tourism sector, the one sector that don't have holidays. I also know that most bosses would not give their employess time off to attend a footballl coaching clinic, and with life's reality facing them which part-time coach will sacrifice his bread and butter for a chance at a coaching license (let remember that coaches in Tobago top division are not paid).

Apart from that, I found out that of the 12 that didn't attend 2 already had their license, and we also know that several coaches in Tobago are only doing it because no one wants to do it, these coaches have no desire to became full time coaches, and see it only as an opportunity to assist a local team (we see that all the time in US youth soccer).

Apart from that, most Tobagonian players do not believe that they have a shot at playing pro ball even in Trinidad, simply because they have witnessed what some of our better players have gone through over the years, so a 22 year old baller in our B division knows that if he can't play for a Tobago 1st division side how he go play in Trinidad wher the $$$ is. If you know anything about Tobago football, our top players play for 4 sides (coaching school, stokely Vale, phoenix, and tobago united), these side already have licensed coaches, every other side is like your average rec team, in other words - if yuh not on those top teams, yuh ent on no team.

So don't dog the coaches, dog the system that fostered the mind-set. When the TFA start thinking outside the box, and implement an empowering  structure I assure you that Tobago football will change, and all that is being called for will be delivered. The problem is not the coaches or players it's the TFA, and their father the TTFF.   :devil: :beermug:

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2006, 12:32:31 PM »
is richard G richard goddard former national youth goal keeper?

yes
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2006, 03:32:14 PM »
baygo boy.....you and rest of tobago keep waiting for the system to empower you !!

God helps who , who helps themselves....

that attitude of blaming the system and instead of your self (if it makes you sleep better at night) will not get  you very far....like yuh want affirmative action for Tobago now !!
Warrior For Life !!

truetrini

« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2006, 03:53:51 PM »
Some have implied that the coaches that didn't attend the clinic were stupid for not taking the opportunity, I  have a problem with that assumption.  Let's not forget that a number of those gentlemen work, and several work in the tourism sector, the one sector that don't have holidays. I also know that most bosses would not give their employess time off to attend a footballl coaching clinic, and with life's reality facing them which part-time coach will sacrifice his bread and butter for a chance at a coaching license (let remember that coaches in Tobago top division are not paid).

Apart from that, I found out that of the 12 that didn't attend 2 already had their license, and we also know that several coaches in Tobago are only doing it because no one wants to do it, these coaches have no desire to became full time coaches, and see it only as an opportunity to assist a local team (we see that all the time in US youth soccer).

Apart from that, most Tobagonian players do not believe that they have a shot at playing pro ball even in Trinidad, simply because they have witnessed what some of our better players have gone through over the years, so a 22 year old baller in our B division knows that if he can't play for a Tobago 1st division side how he go play in Trinidad wher the $$$ is. If you know anything about Tobago football, our top players play for 4 sides (coaching school, stokely Vale, phoenix, and tobago united), these side already have licensed coaches, every other side is like your average rec team, in other words - if yuh not on those top teams, yuh ent on no team.

So don't dog the coaches, dog the system that fostered the mind-set. When the TFA start thinking outside the box, and implement an empowering  structure I assure you that Tobago football will change, and all that is being called for will be delivered. The problem is not the coaches or players it's the TFA, and their father the TTFF.   :devil: :beermug:

hear nah, dem tings is tings ah de past.

lincoln Phillips eh care if yuh frpom Bago breds.  He dey tuh give de best an equal opportunity.

If yuh not interested, dh cry when yuh get pass by.

De TD holding camps all over de islands for any and all who interested...doh cry...dey eh have no crying in football!

yuh on de pot...either yuh shit  or yuh get off.

Tings not de same so doh give de same excuses.......!

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2006, 03:54:02 PM »
baygo boy.....you and rest of tobago keep waiting for the system to empower you !!

that attitude of blaming the system and instead of your self (if it makes you sleep better at night) will not get  you very far....like yuh want affirmative action for Tobago now !!
Now where did you get that impression? ???
Live large and prosper!

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2006, 06:01:07 PM »

Dwight Yorke should be an example for all Footballers and Coaches in Tobago,it don't have any one in Tobago where Football is concerned went through as much as he did,all i'm hearing from you all is a bunch of excuses,you all have no one but yourselves to blame for where Football is in Tobago,you all produced the best college team,the so called best coach and the so called best player the nation ever produced so what's your problem,you all just have to grow up.

Offline StoreBayLimer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2006, 11:46:21 PM »

The TFA full a shi...., They get a 50% turn out and they dissapointed, that is a significant improvement. They know that in Tobago a coaches license doh mean a thing. As far as Tobagonians concern, Tobago have 4 coaches (St. Clair, Granville, Terry Williams and Ralph "Arab" Nelson) , and 4 teams (Coaching School, Phoenix, Stokely Vale, and Tobago United).

Now I agree that Bago coaches should attend the clinics, but when I hear about a 50% turn out, it left a good feeling inside, because in the past it would have been less. Well done Bago boyz.  :beermug: 

I was thinking the same thing: that 50% is an excellent turn out.  The comments by others of bad attitude etc simply do not make sense. 

Let's not forget that a number of those gentlemen work, and several work in the tourism sector, the one sector that don't have holidays. I also know that most bosses would not give their employess time off to attend a footballl coaching clinic, and with life's reality facing them which part-time coach will sacrifice his bread and butter for a chance at a coaching license (let remember that coaches in Tobago top division are not paid).

Well said.

Overall football in Tobago is on course. By that I mean that those who are really interested in playing, do get the opportunity to play.   And I don’t mean that the other outstanding issues are minor.

Offline Baygo Boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2006, 08:21:49 AM »

Yuh for real? A Trini telling ah Tobagonian not to blame the system - boss we learn that from all yuh - Besides I referred to the problems of the past and how it contributed to the prevailing mind-set - one coaching course doesn't represent change, it's just one course. Remember, this is not the first time Tobago was allowed to taste de appetizer, we waiting on the entree  :beermug: ;D

Offline Baygo Boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2006, 08:36:04 AM »

hear nah, dem tings is tings ah de past.

lincoln Phillips eh care if yuh frpom Bago breds.  He dey tuh give de best an equal opportunity.

If yuh not interested, dh cry when yuh get pass by.

De TD holding camps all over de islands for any and all who interested...doh cry...dey eh have no crying in football!

yuh on de pot...either yuh shit  or yuh get off.

Tings not de same so doh give de same excuses.......!

Trini, I happen to think that Phillips is one of the best things to happen to T&T football  in recent times, however, you and I both know that he is not the TTFF, and one argument with yuh boy Jack could mean the end of he. Again, I believe the idea of the course was a good thing, I am only stating reasons why we did not get a larger turn out. along with the mind-set of Tobagonian ballers. Why is it that you guys could state whatever you want about Tobago, but seem to get upset when we attempt to defend ourselves? You are well schooled man - with that said, I know for a fact that you have witnessed similiar situations with Black Americans - where they will be given a taste, and just a taste. Let's wait and see how this develops.

Offline Baygo Boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2006, 08:54:10 AM »

Dwight Yorke should be an example for all Footballers and Coaches in Tobago,it don't have any one in Tobago where Football is concerned went through as much as he did,all i'm hearing from you all is a bunch of excuses,you all have no one but yourselves to blame for where Football is in Tobago,you all produced the best college team,the so called best coach and the so called best player the nation ever produced so what's your problem,you all just have to grow up.

Coop's, "Anna" is indeed an example to Bago ballers, but it is very clear that you have no idea what bago ballers have endured over the years - simply because we don't publicize it - we just deal with it. You may have read about Dwight's dilemmas, but when you have the opportunity to speak with players like Ashley Mcmillian, and Kevin Nelson among others you would recognize that what Dwight went through is small to what those guys have been through.  You referred to the truth as excuses - your response is in keeping with what we expect from guys like yourself - denial. So i guess the forumites that feel compelled to blame the TTFF or the Government for what's wrong with Trinidad football and Trinidad are also providing excuses. Why is it that their reasons are legit, but ours aren't? - Am I witnessing a double standard?

The problems that Dwight had during his tenure with our youth teams (stranded at airport etc), is the same that a number of Tobagonian ballers have experienced over the years.

Offline ANC2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2006, 09:07:13 AM »
Coops let me ask you a question. You have your coaching papers, do you go back and take the entry level courses when they are offered? Not only that Coops but these courses benefit you simply because this is your profession. It pays you to take courses.
I do not understand what all this argument is about. Courses are conducted for people to get their various levels. Coaches advance through stages, D,C,B or what ever. I for one will not take time off from work to take a course I already have. TIt is quite a commitment to do this course and in most instances man eh getting paid, for time missed from work to take the course
After all I am a volunteer and already contribute to my community through my time. Now should their be a course offered where I can expand my knowledge then and only then will I seek ways and means to attend. After all man don't go back to form 5 after dem get University degree.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2006, 11:01:35 AM »
Coops let me ask you a question. You have your coaching papers, do you go back and take the entry level courses when they are offered? Not only that Coops but these courses benefit you simply because this is your profession. It pays you to take courses.
I do not understand what all this argument is about. Courses are conducted for people to get their various levels. Coaches advance through stages, D,C,B or what ever. I for one will not take time off from work to take a course I already have. TIt is quite a commitment to do this course and in most instances man eh getting paid, for time missed from work to take the course
After all I am a volunteer and already contribute to my community through my time. Now should their be a course offered where I can expand my knowledge then and only then will I seek ways and means to attend. After all man don't go back to form 5 after dem get University degree.

I sat in on the E license course this weekend to a certain extent it was all because i ran it through my club,i brought in the instructor and every thing,i was out there playing and kicking ball with all the students,i'm in real pain today but i think there were little things that i was updated and refreshed on for reference when Coaches,Players,Parents ask you questions.I not saying an advance Coach should retake any course but attending will not hurt.I was even asked to give my views and experience on certain Topics for the benefit of the students.

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2006, 01:17:07 PM »

I sat in on the E license course this weekend to a certain extent it was all because i ran it through my club,i brought in the instructor and every thing,i was out there playing and kicking ball with all the students,i'm in real pain today but i think there were little things that i was updated and refreshed on for reference when Coaches,Players,Parents ask you questions.I not saying an advance Coach should retake any course but attending will not hurt.I was even asked to give my views and experience on certain Topics for the benefit of the students.

Well said Coops!
Warrior For Life !!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Girls Score Goals Coaching Clinic a success
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2015, 07:56:24 PM »
Girls Score Goals Coaching Clinic a success
Tobago News

Movement Bago in conjunction with St Clair Coaching School hosted a coaching clinic for girls at the Signal Hill Secondary School Ground in Signal Hill, last Saturday.

Nicollette Leacock, who is the owner of Movement Bago, which is a clothing line she developed, is the  daughter of Radio Tambrin owners, Carol and George Leacock was the initiator for the clinic which was designed to assist with the development of women football on the island and the launch of her summer camp and tournament.

Leacock told the Tobago News that the objective of the clinic was to encourage more females to get involve with the beautiful game of football. She added that  tutoring in the basic fundamentals of the game which they were exposed to in this camp will be continued at the St Clair Coaching School which is based at Signal Hill Secondary School Ground and will be open to all females interested in playing the game. However, training at the School will commence in late February after carnival.

The former football and tennis player told the Tobago News that in addition to the continuous training at the School, they will be hosting a summer camp for females in August which will culminate with a tournament.

Among the facilitators at the clinic were Tobago’s National standout players, prolific goalscorer, Kenya ‘Ya Ya’ Cordner and goalkeeper, Kimicia Forbes and the Soca Warriors captain, Maylee Attin-Johnson in addition to coaches from Coaching School.

Technical director of the School, Bertille St Clair, Tobago’s most successful coach and who recently received the Eric Chapman Award at the Trinidad and Tobago Awards Ceremony was in charge of the clinic.

The status of women football in Trinidad and Tobago has been significantly enhanced following the Soca Warriors’ performance in the recently hosted CONCACAF Qualifier for the World Cup Finals where the Soca Warriors narrowly missed out on the last berth available when they lost to Ecuador in the second game of the Inter-Continental play-off in Trinidad.

Leacock who is presently completing her tertiary education in the USA told the Tobago News that she made a contribution to Happy Haven last year and wanted to do something different this year, hence the reason for the clinic.

She noted that the clinic was the launch for the summer camp and tournament which was designed  to get players interested in playing the game and begin training for the tournament.

She added that she was impressed with the response and the support of the national players for sharing their knowledge and inspiring the younger players because of their interaction with them.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

1]; } ?>