June 04, 2024, 06:35:22 PM

Author Topic: Roger Milla to Soca Warriors: Give a good show.  (Read 6317 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Roger Milla to Soca Warriors: Give a good show.
« on: February 10, 2006, 02:30:58 PM »
Roger Milla to Soca Warriors: Give a good show.
By: Shaun Fuentes.
[/size]

Former Cameroon World Cup star Roger Milla believes that Trinidad and Tobago could well turn out to be one of the telling stories of the 2006 World Cup.
“Don’t just go there and play. Go there and play with pride and show your ambitions,” Miller told TTFF Media during a recent interview in which he was in the company of other top FIFA dignataries and players.
Miller rose to stardom when scored four goals in Italy 1990, two against Romania in his country’s second game and two more in extra time against Colombia to carry Cameroon to the quarter finals  the furthest any team has ever reached at the World Cup along with Senegal which did the same in 2002. He returned to the 1994 World Cup at the age of 42 and scored against Russia, breaking his own record as the oldest goalscorer in a World Cup.
Milla, who changed his name spelling from Miller because he felt it was now be more African, said while he was disappointed that Cameroon did not make it to Germany 2006, he was pleased to see the likes of newcomers as T&T and the other Africa qualifiers – Côte d'Ivoire, Togo, Ghana and Angola.
“You are just like the other newcomers. Many, many people will be watching the World Cup and they will see you as a new nation on this big stage. Your country has worked very hard for this. I know what this is like. I did it two times before. When we went to Italy we were the small team. I know Trinidad (and Tobago) has very good skills and even if you don’t get many monies for this or many good results, at least you can feel good about going there and giving a good show,” added Milla as he tried to put his best English vocabulary together.
He recalled the name Jack Warner and also described his feelings on South Africa’s hosting of the 2010 World Cup.
“I think it’s great. It’s not South Africa’s World Cup. It’s Africa’s World Cup. We are very excited about this. This will change a lot of lives. I know not a lot of the Caribbean but I think the football there can develop and we can see you more times in the World Cup.”
Milla is now an itinerant ambassador for African causes. In 2004  he was named to the FIFA 100 - a list of the 125 greatest living footballers selected by Pele in conjunction with FIFA’s centenary celebrations.
“I saw the match against Bahrain and I saw you fight for the win and I want to tell all of Trinidad good luck and enjoy this World Cup,” Milla ended.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 03:23:46 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Roger Milla to Soca Warriors: Give a good show.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 02:34:11 PM »
i'll never forget being in standard 5 and seeing him wine up on the goal post when he scored against argentina.

TrinInfinite

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 02:35:52 PM »
very nice sentiments by milla, great player, always lived cameroon  :beermug:

MickeyRat

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2006, 02:36:02 PM »
i'll never forget being in standard 5 and seeing him wine up on the goal post when he scored against argentina.

Yuh like that?

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2006, 02:38:08 PM »
no dred, was just so strange to see a man wine on the corner flag (thats what i meant...not goal post)

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2006, 02:39:19 PM »
 :salute: :salute:

T&T welcomes back...the King

TrinInfinite

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2006, 02:52:33 PM »
:salute: :salute:

grande check yuh personal messges, sent u dat info breds  :beermug:

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2006, 03:02:26 PM »
A great big-up, from a great footballer.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2006, 06:48:09 PM »
Ah know TI will like this;

Correct me if I'm wrong, I could be mistaken but wasn't Roger Milla left out of the WC squad and admist public outrage, some King or official in Cameroon had to pull rank and demand that he be selected?

TI, maybe if yuh give Manning ah call, he might put in a good word for yuh boy. ;D ;D

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2006, 07:08:03 PM »
Ah know TI will like this;

Correct me if I'm wrong, I could be mistaken but wasn't Roger Milla left out of the WC squad and admist public outrage, some King or official in Cameroon had to pull rank and demand that he be selected?

TI, maybe if yuh give Manning ah call, he might put in a good word for yuh boy. ;D ;D

And allyuh does complain dat TI wont give his favourite toipc ah rest !
Asan aside carlos Valderrama also gave some good encourgement to the T&T team. he last was supposed to be be taking up a job in Mexico. He is the kind of high profile manager  we should be looking to attract to mold our youth . No disrespect to our locals but these big name players can open doors the locals cannot.
argentina is the most successful country in youth football. They are the only country to win every world football tournament yet we have never seen it fit to get an argentinian in T&T. we get the experts from Exon. BP, atlantic Lng in the energy sector because these are the world leaders but for football the approach is different ...is corneal, La forest, etc every year !

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2006, 07:15:56 PM »
Interesting way to look at it. ah see yuh point.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2006, 09:09:26 PM »

argentina is the most successful country in youth football. They are the only country to win every world football tournament yet we have never seen it fit to get an argentinian in T&T.

Because dey racist.  Let dem stay dey.

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2006, 09:23:49 PM »
Hey

for all the TRUE roger milla fans.

lets see if you can answer this..........

Has roger milla ever changed his name?

and if so...

to what

and give de reason why.

and doh go lookin dis up answer it on de spot nuh.

since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline cm103

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2006, 10:24:09 PM »

Milla, who changed his name spelling from Miller because he felt it was now be more African,

Jefferz...dat was what yuh was looking for?

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2006, 11:05:21 PM »

Well iz best yuh forget it fast,  because Roger Milla didn't score against Argentina...... ;D...It was Omam Biyik (spelling ?)

Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2006, 11:51:11 PM »

Milla, who changed his name spelling from Miller because he felt it was now be more African,

Jefferz...dat was what yuh was looking for?

ha.

i was wonderin if anybody would come up wit it of common knowledge.

:rotfl:

nah i know that from a 1998 world football book a got in England sum years back.

Just thought yuh hadda be a rel boss tuh jes change yuh name so.

and not only tuh change it but have aquired the respect to have people take that request seriously by actually refering to you as that.

thats a bossman dey.

Offline behind-de-bridge

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2006, 03:45:28 AM »

argentina is the most successful country in youth football. They are the only country to win every world football tournament yet we have never seen it fit to get an argentinian in T&T.

Because dey racist. Let dem stay dey.
Couldn't agree more.

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2006, 05:21:57 AM »
I remember Colombia's GK Rene Higuita coming out of his goal and playin de ass in midfield, and Milla take the ball from him, scored de goal and run up to de corner flag. That Cameroon team was wonderful.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2006, 06:14:52 AM »

Because dey racist.  Let dem stay dey.

And de scots and  British where most of our pros play aren´t ? In fact they are racist against their own countryman as well and i dont see anyone saying our boys shouldn´t play there !

Offline behind-de-bridge

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2006, 07:29:49 AM »

And de scots and British where most of our pros play aren´t ? In fact they are racist against their own countryman as well and i dont see anyone saying our boys shouldn´t play there !

Breds take it from me who living in Britain, this country not in de same racist league as Argentina. Have you ever seen a black Argentinian? Which country welcomed the nazis from WW11 with open arms?

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2006, 11:22:23 AM »
Breds take it from me who living in Britain, this country not in de same racist league as Argentina. Have you ever seen a black Argentinian? Which country welcomed the nazis from WW11 with open arms?

Great pt., there jewish/italian mix makes that nation more european than latin american, many an argentine would tell you that as well actually (based on my limited interaction with a few of them in NY).

To ans your qu, Juan Sebastian Veron is black....
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline behind-de-bridge

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2006, 11:29:40 AM »

OK apart from Veron ;D

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2006, 01:21:37 PM »

ha.

nah i know that from a 1998 world football book a got in England sum years back.

and not only tuh change it but have aquired the respect to have people take that request seriously by actually refering to you as that.

thats a bossman dey.

Jermaine Jenas surname is really Genas - his dad's name is Dennis, and he changed his surname because he thought it would be cool to have d initials DJ.

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2006, 01:25:31 PM »

OK apart from Veron ;D

How about David Trezeguet....plays for France, but grew up in Argentina.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2006, 01:44:22 PM »

OK apart from Veron ;D

Trezeguet - Born in argentina plays for France. There aren´t many bllacks living in Argentina as evidenced by the national leagues. I dont see you complaining that Poland does not have blacks or that Germany has so few. I am not a politician and every country has its own demons ..even TRINIDAD ANS TOBAGO. I dont see you saying we are racist as no indians are on the team ?? do youi know that bazil can also be considered racist ???
Come on man we are talking football ... make your comments on that !

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2006, 01:46:18 PM »

OK apart from Veron ;D

Sorry ryan that comment was for behind the bridge !!

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2006, 01:49:42 PM »

And de scots and British where most of our pros play aren´t ? In fact they are racist against their own countryman as well and i dont see anyone saying our boys shouldn´t play there !

you are a politician now ?? Every country in latin america welcomed the germans with open arms that´s why up to today you will find german villages in latin america ! But you live in britain and there are no racists there .....tell that to shaka hislop, Dwight yorke and john barnes !

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2006, 01:50:22 PM »

ha.

thats a bossman dey.

Jermaine Jenas surname is really Genas - his dad's name is Dennis, and he changed his surname because he thought it would be cool to have d initials DJ.

thats pretty gay.

Offline behind-de-bridge

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2006, 03:21:38 PM »

you are a politician now ?? Every country in latin america welcomed the germans with open arms that´s why up to today you will find german villages in latin america ! But you live in britain and there are no racists there .....tell that to shaka hislop, Dwight yorke and john barnes !
I never said there are no racists in Britain. Everywhere have them, even Trini. My point is in terms of scale.

For example if I said Shaq is taller than Kobe, that does not mean that Kobe is short does it???

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2006, 03:36:05 PM »
behind de bridge brazil also let de nazis into their country.one notorious one was josef mengele.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

1]; } ?>