June 04, 2024, 09:26:41 AM

Author Topic: which WC group is the group of death ?  (Read 4578 times)

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
which WC group is the group of death ?
« on: February 10, 2006, 07:13:09 PM »
nmany experts have concluded that argentina´s group is the group of death but if argentina are aspiring to win the competion I dont see them fearing Ivory coast or the serbians or even perennial WC chockers holland.

TrinInfinite

Re: which WC group is the group of death ?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 07:18:03 PM »
argentina, holland, ivory coast and serbia and montenegro  :devil:

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 07:27:40 PM »
Why ?

TrinInfinite

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2006, 07:29:02 PM »
Why ?

bess team in europe at de moment on current results is holland, bess team in s.america argentina, bess team in africa, ivory coast and serbia is a very tought team, full of surprises

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2006, 07:34:29 PM »
Why ?

bess team in europe at de moment on current results is holland, bess team in s.america argentina, bess team in africa, ivory coast and serbia is a very tought team, full of surprises

Ha,  but you know WC is about history and pedigree. what is the pedigree of Ivory coast, Serbia ? Just a few teams win the WC and win it over and over ! last new team was France after how many years ??
an upset is possible in any football game as we all know and we have to wait to see but the quality of players on Argentina and holland separate the teams into top and bottom 2 in my view.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2006, 10:15:06 PM »

Ha,  but you know WC is about history and pedigree.

a group of death is about evenly matched teams where it would be difficult to predict who would progress to the next round....regardless of history and "pedigree"....

It might be about "pedigree" to people who don't follow the game closely, and make predictions in ignorance based on pure name
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2006, 10:21:19 PM »

a group of death is about evenly matched teams where it would be difficult to predict who would progress to the next round....regardless of history and "pedigree"....

It might be about "pedigree" to people who don't follow the game closely, and make predictions in ignorance based on pure name

pedigree?

yea tell that to France nuh.

kicker yuh hit de nail right on de head
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2006, 10:30:17 PM »

So the teams in this group are evenly matched ??  is that because they all have world class players or have met world class opposition ? I´m sorry the confederation cup must have gotten their entries wrong forgetting to include ivory coast, holland and serbia montenegro. The european championship should be scrapped too as a form guide i suppose ?

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2006, 10:36:57 PM »
and who won de euro last time eh?

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2006, 10:37:08 PM »
Mexico, Iran, Angola, Portugal

Angola in a group of death also I would say, Mexico best in CONCACAF, a team that have Brazil's number, Iran best in Asia (with Korea) and Portugal will be a dread squad this year, with Scolari as dey coach

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2006, 10:43:01 PM »

Angola in a group of death also I would say, Mexico best in CONCACAF, a team that have Brazil's number, Iran best in Asia (with Korea) and Portugal will be a dread squad this year, with Scolari as dey coach

grande dred please read dis and answer dis one fuh me cuz like dis man on drugs dred.

"The european championship should be scrapped too as a form guide i suppose ?"

which team won euros last time eh?

tell meh is dem in de world cup?

dred dis man head gone awa?

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2006, 10:45:19 PM »

GOOD POINT
I think when we examine the other groups we might find that quite a few are more evenly matched than the group with Ivory coast.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2006, 10:51:31 PM »

grande dred please read dis and answer dis one fuh me cuz like dis man on drugs dred.

Euro Cup doh really prove nuttin
Greece win the Euro Cup yeah but they get burn in de Confed Cup and didn't even come close to qualifying fuh Germany, even in friendlies dey struggling

Is only for so long that kinda cheap style of play will work for

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2006, 10:54:04 PM »

Greece win the Euro Cup yeah but they get burn in de Confed Cup and didn't even come close to qualifying fuh Germany, even in friendlies dey struggling

exactly and jai john want tuh say da is all about pedigree.

What about Senegal vs France.

France proceeding to get knokced out

and de man was trying to use Euro as an example of why pedigree counts.

::)

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2006, 10:54:42 PM »
Paragiuay in de dey own group of death.  ;D ;D ;D
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2006, 10:55:05 PM »
Paragiuay in de dey own group of death.  ;D ;D ;D

:devil: ;D ent

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2006, 11:00:33 PM »
nmany experts have concluded that argentina´s group is the group of death but if argentina are aspiring to win the competion I dont see them fearing Ivory coast or the serbians or even perennial WC chockers holland.

Since you start the thread....which group yuh think is the group of death ???

Italy, Ghana, US, Czech Rep

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2006, 11:00:48 PM »

So the teams in this group are evenly matched ??  is that because they all have world class players or have met world class opposition ? I´m sorry the confederation cup must have gotten their entries wrong forgetting to include ivory coast, holland and serbia montenegro. The european championship should be scrapped too as a form guide i suppose ?

I wasn't commenting on the group. It's a difficult group....goup of death ? who knows.....

I was commenting on you saying that a group of death is based on history and pedigree........I don't necessarily agree....Imagine a hypothetical group in a tournament with Mexico-USA-Denmark & Japan..... could be considered a group of death, because it's tough to guess who would progress......even though none of the teams "historical pedigree".......see what I'm saying ?
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2006, 11:01:10 PM »
Why ?

Ha,  but you know WC is about history and pedigree. what is the pedigree of Ivory coast, Serbia ? Just a few teams win the WC and win it over and over ! last new team was France after how many years ??
an upset is possible in any football game as we all know and we have to wait to see but the quality of players on Argentina and holland separate the teams into top and bottom 2 in my view.

Cameroon beat Argentina in the WC.  Just because Ivory Coast and S&M don't have a glorious WC history don't mean they are not going to be competitive.  Senegal was ah nobody and they did well.  Spain is considered to be a "big" team and they always play de ass.  I doubt Iran and Angola are on the same level as Serbia and Angola.  The other tough(extremely close) group is USA group.  However, the gap has narrowed between the "big guns" and the small countries so I would not underestimate nay team on any given day.  Gone are the days when Brazil will beat someone 8-0 in a WC game.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2006, 11:07:04 PM »

exactly and jai john want tuh say da is all about pedigree.

What about Senegal vs France.

France proceeding to get knokced out

and de man was trying to use Euro as an example of why pedigree counts.

::)
Well based on your argument there is no group of death since upsets can and will happen. If we are to decide however which teams are likely to make the second round dont you think past records are a good indication of that ? I mean does Brazil go into the WC as an unknown or as Brazil...you get my point.
upsets are just that, occurances that go against the predicted scoreline and cant be used as a basis for anything.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2006, 11:16:53 PM »

I wasn't commenting on the group. It's a difficult group....goup of death ? who knows.....

I was commenting on you saying that a group of death is based on history and pedigree........I don't necessarily agree....Imagine a hypothetical group in a tournament with Mexico-USA-Denmark & Japan..... could be considered a group of death, because it's tough to guess who would progress......even though none of the teams "historical pedigree".......see what I'm saying ?

Dont get me wrong i am not predicting scores . Maybe to make my point clearer I can refer to the odds of teams winning the world cup. Dont you think they use head to heads, number of times a team has qualified etc. to arrive at that. How do you think they arrived at groupings ?...that is what i mean by pedigree.

Offline Strip

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2006, 05:13:09 AM »
group of death is the arg, holland, ivory coast & serbia group

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2006, 06:07:35 AM »

I would say that that group has two teams that should be in the 2nd round and 2 outside bets.

The US, Czech, Italy, Ghana group on the other hand has three teams that should be there and then Ghana who are a good outside bet for the 2nd round.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2006, 06:44:21 AM »

I would say that that group has two teams that should be in the 2nd round and 2 outside bets.

The US, Czech, Italy, Ghana group on the other hand has three teams that should be there and then Ghana who are a good outside bet for the 2nd round.
this is the point I was making ... even the odds makers hold this point of view. the results may prove entirely different but it do not change predictions based on ¨pedigree ¨or history .

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2006, 06:44:58 AM »

this is the point I was making ... even the odds makers hold this point of view. the results may prove entirely different but it do not change predictions based on ¨pedigree ¨or history .

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2006, 10:07:51 AM »
Holland Argentina Ivory Coast and Serbia

Offline Brej

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2006, 10:53:55 AM »
Why ?
Because Two great teams in argentina and holland both world cup contendors
ivory coast the african champions are definitley a team to be weary of and  Serbia aint no slouches either they can be quite outstanding on their day

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2006, 11:01:26 AM »
Why ?
Because Two great teams in argentina and holland both world cup contendors
ivory coast the african champions are definitley a team to be weary of and  Serbia aint no slouches either they can be quite outstanding on their day

I though Egypt were the African Champions.

In any case you could make the case that Italy and Czech republic are also favourites and then you have the US, who are IMO better than Ivory coast and Ghana who are as good as if not better than Serbia.

Both groups are tough but I would give the Czech, Italy, US, Ghana group the edge.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2006, 11:26:09 AM »
Man callin Serbia a team without pedigree.  Allyuh know who Serbia Montengro is?  Allyuh know they history?  

Serbia Montenegro is de majority part of de former Yugoslavia, another being Croatia, others being Macedonia, Slovenia, and Bosnia & Herzegovina.  Croatia got created just before de 98 world cup because of de war at de time.  Croatia in it's first WC appearance went on to finish 3rd in France 98.  Slovenia made it to WC 2002.  Yugoslavia, which at dat time (1998) had kept it's name and made it to the quarter finals where they were knocked out by Holland in an epic game.

Serbia Montengro eventually became a "country"in 2003 and this "country" is the one that qualified for the WC this time around.

But Serbia Montengro, just like Crotia and Slovenia before it, eh no jes come to World Cup.  They have PEDIGREE through YUGOSLAVIA, a country that hasbeen in the WC Finals 9 times previously, getting to the semis twice, quarter finals 4 times, and round of 16 once.  That's 7 times out of 9 appearnaces they have made it past the 1st round.

If allyuh could claim Spain, England, Portugal, etc have "pedigree" in WC....dem have AT LEAST as much and more.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 11:29:20 AM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline TriniItalian

• Sr. Warrior
  • Never Wait to Procrastinate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2006, 01:34:12 PM »
Man callin Serbia a team without pedigree.  Allyuh know who Serbia Montengro is?  Allyuh know they history?  

Serbia Montenegro is de majority part of de former Yugoslavia, another being Croatia, others being Macedonia, Slovenia, and Bosnia & Herzegovina.  Croatia got created just before de 98 world cup because of de war at de time.  Croatia in it's first WC appearance went on to finish 3rd in France 98.  Slovenia made it to WC 2002.  Yugoslavia, which at dat time (1998) had kept it's name and made it to the quarter finals where they were knocked out by Holland in an epic game.

Serbia Montengro eventually became a "country"in 2003 and this "country" is the one that qualified for the WC this time around.

But Serbia Montengro, just like Crotia and Slovenia before it, eh no jes come to World Cup.  They have PEDIGREE through YUGOSLAVIA, a country that hasbeen in the WC Finals 9 times previously, getting to the semis twice, quarter finals 4 times, and round of 16 once.  That's 7 times out of 9 appearnaces they have made it past the 1st round.

If allyuh could claim Spain, England, Portugal, etc have "pedigree" in WC....dem have AT LEAST as much and more.
Yea palos them men need to go to school and learn some geography, like real men does forget bout croatia in 98 and S&M made up of mostly Yugo players, besides which in qualification they only let in 1 fliccking goal ONE (1) how much teams allyuh know cud do that? Everybody in this grp top perform in qualification so save for the fact that Agentina have a lil weak spot playing European teams it will be an all out battle
A.W.A.T.T. INFORMANT

1]; } ?>