May 29, 2024, 04:39:22 AM

Author Topic: SI's Take on the Warriors  (Read 4181 times)

Offline biga84

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
SI's Take on the Warriors
« on: February 17, 2006, 01:22:00 PM »
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/soccer/02/15/profile.trinidad/index.html

By Ricardo Setyon, SI.com

Through late April, SI.com will profile two World Cup teams a week. We continue with Trinidad and Tobago. Click here for the full archive.

FIFA world ranking: No. 50.

How they qualified for Germany: Finished in fourth place in CONCACAF with a 4-1-5 record; won a two-leg playoff against Asia's third-place Group B team, Bahrain.

Previous World Cups: None.

Manager: Leo Beenhakker, second year with team.

Key players
At age 34, Trinidad's biggest star gets the prize of his entire career: Dwight Yorke will finally play in a World Cup. A veteran of three English Premiership clubs, the striker is still in good physical shape at his current club, Australia's Sydney FC. Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson once called Yorke a "natural killer." He's also his country's hero and its leader on the pitch.

Trinidad's other main forward, Stern John, is playing at his peak in England's second division for Coventry City. "Bravo" is also an MLS veteran and perhaps Trinidad's best player. He's dangerous in the penalty box, scoring 12 goals in World Cup qualifying, and may be the heir to Yorke's throne.

Russell Latapy is Trinidad's elder statesman at 37. A former star in Portugal's Superliga, he currently plies his trade for Scotland's Falkirk. He's still a player to watch, mostly because he's a player/coach. He's only on the national team because Yorke insisted Beenhakker include him. Even so, he's an influential leader and will be the only player/coach in Germany.

What to watch for
With the longest odds to win, this is considered the weakest team at the World Cup. But don't tell the 1.3 million Trinidadians that -- Beenhakker is a national hero for taking the Socca Warriors to their first big show. A coaching veteran who has made stops in Spain, Mexico, Turkey, Switzerland, Saudi Arabia and the Netherlands, he's known for his soft style and good communication skills with his players.

This team is far from Beenhakker's powerful Ajax of the 1970s or Real Madrid of the '80s, but it's no stranger to scoring goals. Yorke and Latapy in particular offer physical strength, experience and natural talent for finding the net. They are skilled beyond their years might surprise anyone who doesn't take them seriously.

This is a chance for Trinidad to write a golden page in Caribbean soccer history, which means that this team has nothing to lose and should play relaxed football. All the members of this incarnation of the Socca Warriors know that every goal they score will immortalize them forever in their tiny homeland. With that on their side -- and with a wise and seasoned coach -- they might be a huge surprise.

Group: B (England, Paraguay, Sweden).

Key match in group stage: June 10 vs. Sweden. The Socca Warriors will have a rough ride through a harsh group, but they're looking to make waves early. Their hope is to draw the Swedes, then face England without any pressure and go for the gold against Paraguay, trying to reap a victory there. Four points is the goal, which they figure should be enough to advance -- and shock and awe everyone.

Oddsmakers' line: 750-1.

Projected Starting Lineup
Pos. Player Club team
G Shaka Hislop West Ham United (England)
D Ian Gray CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh (Trinidad)
D Marvin Andrews Rangers (Scotland) 
D Avery John New England Revolution (MLS) 
D Dennis Lawrence Wrexham (England) 
M Christopher Birchall Port Vale (England)
M Densill Theobold Falkirk (Scotland)
M Russell Latapy Falkirk (Scotland)
F Carlos Edwards Wrexham (England)
F Dwight Yorke Sydney FC (Australia)
F Stern John Coventry City (England)

« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 01:26:01 PM by biga84 »

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: SI's Take on the Warriors
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 01:27:40 PM »
I agree with their profile for the most part...especially a draw against sweden, loss against England and a win against paraguay. 

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 01:31:27 PM »
Where did you see a loss against England? You smoking :rotfl:

Yorke and Latapy in particular offer physical strength, experience and natural talent for finding the net. They are skilled beyond their years might surprise anyone who doesn't take them seriously.

That was my favorite line :devil: :devil: :devil:
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 01:38:02 PM »
My only issue is dat we are the SOCA Warriors and not SOCCA Warriors...apart from that, nice to see we getting ah little bleigh.

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline biga84

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 01:40:07 PM »
My only issue is dat we are the SOCA Warriors and not SOCCA Warriors...apart from that, nice to see we getting ah little bleigh.

Big Up!

I agree    I sent an email we go see the turnout!!

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 02:03:40 PM »
thats a nice fair lil report
Go TnT
Back in Trini...

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 02:18:59 PM »
This article is ah typical North American generalization about we team....call out Yorke, Latas and Stern and dey feel dat is we team right there.

Not to take anything away from dem but they doh do their research in the players tuh look out for...Whitley, Spann, Me Mum, Samuel

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 04:35:20 PM »
I actually think this article was pretty good.  Thank you S.I.
Warrior For Life !!

Offline nutmegthruyuhleg

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
    • World Cup 2010
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2006, 04:51:02 PM »
This article is ah typical North American generalization about we team....call out Yorke, Latas and Stern and dey feel dat is we team right there.

Not to take anything away from dem but they doh do their research in the players tuh look out for...Whitley, Spann, Me Mum, Samuel

Well those boys havn't impacted the world football scene much as yet. They're just citing our more accomplished players.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2006, 06:14:16 PM »

Who else has made an impact on the global scene?  Who else is more accomplished on that team right now.

Some ah allyuh duz juss grumble fuh de sake ah grumble oui.

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2006, 06:35:23 PM »
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/soccer/02/15/profile.trinidad/index.html

Russell Latapy is Trinidad's elder statesman at 37. A former star in Portugal's Superliga, he c
urrently plies his trade for Scotland's Falkirk. He's still a player to watch, mostly because he's a player/coach. He's only on the national team because Yorke insisted Beenhakker include him. Even so, he's an influential leader and will be the only player/coach in Germany
.[/color]

what he talin bout the only reason latas on the team is because of yorke insisting he be on the team

Offline NUFF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2006, 08:11:23 PM »
I'll bet that Denzil Theobald doh even make de world cup roster much less de starting lineup.

Offline pioneertrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2006, 08:18:18 PM »
yeh Ian Gray is a good player

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2006, 08:40:32 PM »
That was a nice lil report, i actually expected more inaccuracies, but it ok man.

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2006, 10:46:29 PM »
It was Fair..... Big up the warriors, dey go surprise everybody even theyself.
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline R45

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2006, 10:52:14 PM »
I agree with the article mostly. Though I'd say, I don't think it's entirely possible to not get a point against England knowing their very erratic performances at big tournaments. I really think we have a good change against Paraguay. I suppose this friendly on carnival will show how our boys deal with scandanavian football.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 03:25:32 PM by R45 »

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2006, 09:06:01 AM »
3-4 points is what i expect. good writeup.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2006, 01:52:51 PM »
ah damn good article. :beermug:
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2006, 02:25:04 PM »
yawnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!! what so good about that article??? because he doesn't say anything too negative it's good?....that article seems to have been compiled from several articles......when people start to realize that this is a game of glorious uncertainties then maybe they'll stop their idiotic prognostications.

Offline trinidre

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2006, 02:43:39 PM »
dat is ah damn good article considering the fact that it coming from SI which is a north american news magazine.....it was more accurate than I would have thought...and fair enough too :)

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2006, 08:09:11 PM »
yawnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!! what so good about that article??? because he doesn't say anything too negative it's good?....that article seems to have been compiled from several articles......when people start to realize that this is a game of glorious uncertainties then maybe they'll stop their idiotic prognostications.
yuh see u and dem big words wuh yuh doh even understand should just keep ah cool head.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline gothic

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2006, 09:10:36 PM »
article i read today
http://service.spiegel.de/cache/international/0,1518,401572,00.html

Trinidad and Tobago Ready to Slay Giants

By Joseph E. Wolf in Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago

Most think that Trinidad and Tobago have no chance in the World Cup. But the Caribbean nation wasn't supposed to qualify either. They've imported both players and a trainer in preparation.

The Bahrain fans were unimpressed. The fans from Trinidad and Tobago just wouldn't stop with their incessant drumming during the World Cup qualifying match between the two counties' national teams last November. At first, the Bahrainis didn't even want to let the 50 musicians the "Trinis" brought along play. And during the match, a number of fans peppered the drummers with stones. It was, in short, a true clash of civilizations. Fans of the Trinidad and Tobago team often start beating their drums before the kick-off and continue right through the final whistle. They were shocked by their treatment at the hands of the Bahrainis. After all, they see themselves as quite entertaining and lively fans -- and never disagreeable.

Which is a to a large degree the same way national team players themselves treated the game until recently -- an attitude which quickly sent them to the bottom of their qualifying group and cost trainer Bertille St. Claire his job. The team was on the verge of failure and decided to bring in a foreign coach. Enter Leo Beenhakker, former Dutch national trainer and three-time Spanish champion at the helm of Real Madrid.

Upon arrival on the island, the 63-year-old could hardly believe the deficiencies of his new team. They were talented, but had virtually no discipline. Beenhakker's mission, as he saw it, was to provide them with a tactical framework. Indeed, one of his first successes was to encourage his players to pass to open team-mates instead of blindly forcing the ball in the direction of the goal. It may sound like the soccer equivalent of learning the alphabet, but the Dutchman was able to quickly turn things around. The first game of the new Beenhakker era was on March 30, 2005 -- and resulted in an important 2-0 victory over Panama.

One aging star

Contrary to a number of African and Asian teams, Trinidad doesn't currently have any big football names. Most on the national team play for meaningless lower-division teams in England or Scotland: Gillingham, Falkirk, Wrexham or St. Johnstone. Hardly any of them play in Trinidad and Tobago itself.

Their most famous player remains team captain Dwight Yorke, now 34 years old. In the 1990s, he played for Manchester United and was a major part of the team's success. In the 1998-1999 season, when ManU won the prestigious Champion's League tournament of Europe's best clubs, Yorke scored 29 goals. He now plays for FC Sydney and is a step or two slower. But he remains the heart of the team. Stern John, who plays for the English lower-division team Coventry City, is the team's second pillar.

In other words, more talent is needed, and the country's soccer federation has come up with a bizarre campaign to find it. Currently, Trinidad and Tobago is scouring the world for soccer players who have even a drop of Trinidadian or Tobagonian blood in their veins. A grandmother from Tobago or a cousin from Port of Spain can be enough to obtain citizenship. The first fruits of this strategy were harvested in mid-2005. Chris Birchall, 21-years-old, blond and British, has joined the team.

The imported hope

Birchall watched much of the last World Cup, played in Japan and South Korea in 2002, in a Staffordshire pub. But he had soccer skills and was soon playing for English minor leaguers Port Vale. But then someone discovered that his grandparents once worked in Trinidad and Tobago and gave birth to a child there -- Birchall's mother. They all eventually returned to England -- where Chris was born -- but the connection was there. Trinidad's soccer federation saw its chance, and the authorities played along.

Since May, Birchall has been playing for a country he couldn't even locate on a map before -- and he fired in the decisive goal in the team's World Cup qualification. Partially as a result Birchall, referred to as "De White Boy" or "Me Mom" -- a reference to the woman who made it all possible -- by the fans, has become a favorite. He himself is having trouble believing his own story -- and that on June 15, he will be playing against his own idols from the English Premier League.

But does Trinidad and Tobago have much of a chance against the mighty English? Paradoxically, it has been two losses -- close games against the US and Mexico -- that showed the team's potential. With a bit of discipline, Trinidad and Tobago can play with almost anybody. But still, a Cinderella story like that of Senegal in 2002 or Cameroon in 1990 and 1994 is hardly realistic. The defense is rather unsteady, the attack average: The team only managed 12 goals during its 12 qualification matches.

"Soca Warriors"

The decisive question will be whether Beenhakker can get his team to play as a cohesive group. Otherwise, there is a very real chance that the weaknesses of the team will be laid bare and ruthlessly exploited during its very first game against Sweden. Indeed, Trinidad and Tobago has very little experience with European squads. In its last 50 games, the national team has only played against one European team -- Northern Ireland -- and it lost 3-0.

But the dream of reaching the round of 16 has grown since November 19, the historical day that Trinidad and Tobago advanced to the World Cup tournament over Bahrain. Parliament interrupted a session and thousands crammed into bars, clubs and cinemas to watch the live broadcast -- the prime minister even declared the next day a holiday.

Whether or not the team is successful, it is likely to become something of a cult in Germany. Adidas boss Herbert Hainer was quick to recognize the potential and signed a €10 million contract with the "Soca Warriors" soon after their qualification. The Germans, so goes the calculation, are sure to love this team.

1]; } ?>