June 04, 2024, 09:43:42 AM

Author Topic: Wim Rijsbergen to take over as head coach.  (Read 40244 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Wim Rijsbergen to take over as head coach.
« on: July 11, 2006, 10:53:10 AM »
Foreign clubs eye local duo.
By: Shaun Fuentes.

Local-based midfielder Aurtis Whitley could be plying his trade overseas for the coming European season as it has been revealed that he along with CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh teammate Cyd Gray have generated interest following their appearances at the 2006 World Cup.
It is understood that English club Leeds United are in talks with the club about acquiring the services of Whitley but Queen's Park Rangers and Gillingham are also after the rock solid midfielder. Gillingham and Swedish club IFK Gothenberg have also expressed interest in Gray. Whitley was also on trial at Portsmouth before the World Cup.
"Everyone is delighted with the way T&T came through at the World Cup. We didn't progress to the second round but we didn't disgrace and we earned respect there. We are left a lasting impression and now is the time to reap the benefits to come from this," Jabloteh head coach Terry Fenwick said.
"I am getting a lot interest from UK clubs and we are in discussions over transfers for both players. That in itself tells you how highly thought about we are after the Finals. It definitely has brought greater exposure for the local game and people are now starting to ask more questions about the league here and the football in general."
Regarding young Anthony Wolfe, who was also part of the Soca Warriors in Germany, Fenwick added: "He has gained a lot of experience being with the team and he is still younger than the other two and  we are looking for him to spearhead our future campaign."
Rijsbergen looking forward to 2010 challenge.
[/size]

Newly appointed National Team senior coach Wim Rijsbergen says he's relishing the challenge of leading the national team towards South Africa 2010 but moreso helping this country to maintain the momentum it picked up following its qualification and subsequent performance at the 2006 World Cup Finals in Germany.
Just one day following the announcement of his new position Rijsbergen said he was already drawing up plans to assist in the development of the youth system and the senior team.
"I am delighted to be able to take up the position as head coach of Trinidad and Tobago. One of the good things about this is that while I also had to look past some of the other offers which came my way for jobs after the World Cup, the fact that I already had some involvement with Trinidad and that we had already worked towards something and I know what it's like there now, and after discussing with Mr Warner, I said the decision to remain here was something I was looking forward to," Rijsbergen told TTFF Media on Wednesday.
On Leo Beenhakker's appointment in Poland and also his continued affiliation with T&T as technical adviser, Rijsbergen added : "I'm delighted based on the recommendations that Leo can maintain a relationship with us as technical adviser because we have worked here before. Now we have Anton and the other Dutch person who will be on board and also work with the youth teams. Right now there will be a lot of plans being made to start working with the senior team and looking ahead to the Gold Cup and other matches. We will also work towards forming the best team possible and we will continue to look for players as well. In this way too I felt it was right to have players like Russell and Dwight as role models for the other players and we will use them in the best way possible for football in Trinidad and Tobago from the youth system come up."
He mentioned that he was also aware of Jamaica's qualification for France 1998 and their aftermath, having touched base on the situation with former Jamaican World Cup team manager Horace Reid, who worked as chief operations manager of the T&T team.
"It's a challenge in itself for us to continue and move forward with what we already have following the World Cup. I know how it took place with Jamaica and their qualification for France and then it's task of keeping things going after that. For us it will be difficult too but that's what makes the whole situation special. I know the people involved are very anxious to get going and we will all sit down and review our World Cup appearance and we will put the necessary structures in place to move forward. These are the things I spoke to Mr Warner about and when I get back with Leo next week, we will of course sit down as a group with everyone who played a role in the last World Cup and we will sit with the Minister of Sport to review all these things. I am pleased now to hear that the Government is also willing to assist in the development of football and we must make this work," added the former 1974 and 1978 Dutch World Cup player. He is also a former player with Feyenoord during 1971-78 as well as New York Cosmos and FC Utrecht.
The 54-year-old Rijsbergen has been a former assistant coach at Dutch teams Ajax Amsterdam, FC Volendam, FC Groningen, NAC, Roodenburg, Al-Ittifaq of Qatar and Mexican club America.
He added that having been to the big stage now, it was crucial that the national team players look carefully at themselves if they want to compete with the best.
"One of the things we will work on is also developing players and getting them to the right level. We have been there now and they all know what it takes. One of the good things is I know the players and I know they are very keen to do well and to get improvement," he said.
"I can tell you now that we have been to the World Cup, things are different. We went back to Berlin afterward the team went home and the response showed this…. the way the people spoke to us and the way the press reacted to us… it all showed that they know now that Trinidad and Tobago is a country to take serious and that's something to make me and the rest of us want to work together for more success." Rijsbergen will return along with Beenhakker to Trinidad on July 22 before taking up duties later that week.
News from the 12th of July 2006.

Wim Rijsbergen to take over as head coach.
[/size]

The following is to confirm that Wim Rijsbergen has accepted the post of head coach of the Trinidad and Tobago Senior Team following meetings with now former head coach Leo Beenhakker, TTFF Special Advisor Jack Warner and General Secretary Richard Groden.
Rijsbergen, who served as assistant to Beenhakker during his tenure here, will take up the position as head coach of the team for the next four years with immediate effect and will have Anton Corneal and Dutchman Jan Van Deinsen as his assistants based on his request to which they have already agreed.
It is worthy to note that Beenhakker has accepted the position as head coach of the Poland National Team but has also agreed to be available as a technical advisor to the "Soca Warriors" during this period and will attend its matches and tournament on a "need to do basis".
The Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation remains highly appreciative towards Mr Beenhakker for his services towards the uplifting of the country's football and for his guiding of the team to the 2006 World Cup Finals in Germany. We also wish him the very best in his new role with the Polish FA.

Report of meetings held with coaches Leo Beenhakker and Wim Rijsbergen RE: The coaching of team Trinidad and Tobago from 2006 to 2010.

Two meetings were held with Coach Leo Beenhakker - one in Rotenburg on June 19, 2006 and the other in Munich on July 4, 2006. Two meetings were also held with Coach Wim Rijsbergen, both in Berlin, on July 7, 2006. Present at all of the meetings mentioned above was Richard Groden, General Secretary of the T&TFF.

There were extensive discussions and by the end, the following decisions were arrived at:

1. Leo Beenhakker

a. Leo Beenhakker will accept the position of Head Coach of the Polish National Team for a period of two years in the first instance, effective from Tuesday July 11, 2006.

b. During this period he will be available to work with Team Trinidad and Tobago as Technical Advisor and attend its matches and tournaments on a "need to do so basis."

c. Following 2008, Leo and the T&TFF will review his position relative to;

(i) a continuation of the present arrangement; or
(ii) a new contract relative to his full time and/or other services

It is informative to note that Leo did not accept several top offers which were made to him including the offer of Head Coach of the Australia Soccer Federation.

2. Wim Rijsbergen

a. Wim Rijsbergen, the former Assistant to Leo Beenhakker in Trinidad and Tobago has agreed to accept the offer of Head Coach of Team Trinidad and Tobago for a period of four years, with immediate effect.

b. He has asked to be assisted by Anton Corneal and Dutchman Jan Van Deinsen, both of whom he has already held discussions and obtained their acceptance.

c. He is to evaluate the work of the staff which worked with the Soca Warriors to determine whose services he shall need.  Notwithstanding this, he did inform that he needs Joseph Sam Phillip to play an effective role in the management of the National Senior Team.

d. Relative to Trinidad and Tobago's technical development, Wim made several proposals which were accepted by Richard Groden and me on behalf of the TTFF.

The proposals are as follows:

(i) Anton Corneal to be the Head Coach of Youth Development as well as to assist him in the coaching of the First Team.

(ii) Dutch Coach, Jan Deinsen to work with all the National Youth Teams as well as to assist in the coaching of the First Team.

(iii) After evaluation and by mutual agreement to use the majority of the members of the present technical staff of the Soca Warriors.

(iv) The role of the Technical Director, Lincoln Phillips, to be confined to the development of coaches and goal keepers using his knowledge in these areas. In this regard, the entire Technical Department of the T&TFF is to be reviewed as a matter of urgency.

(v) The Head Coach will be involved specifically in coaching a team for the Olympics as well as for World Cup 2010. He will also supervise the coaching of all National Teams.

(vi) After holding discussions with Russell Latapy and Dwight Yorke, the Head Coach will find the best way to use their knowledge as role models for the youth and for the future of Trinidad and Tobago football in the following areas:
  • Training camps
  • Training sessions
  • Any other

(vii) Immediately, the Head Coach will be developing a programme, in conjunction with others, for every Youth Team, as it relates to:
  • Training
  • Matches
  • Tournaments
  • Other
3. Tentative Plan 2006 - 2010

July 22 - 25, 2006

1. Meetings of Leo and Wim with.

(i) T&TFF, Jack Warner and T&TFF Technical and Managerial Staff
(ii) The Minister of Sport and Youth Affairs

2. Evaluation of the World Cup effort with players and officials who are present in T&T.

3. Creating a new staff for 2006 - 2010

4. Putting a team together for this country's first international match in August.

September 2, 2006 - Friendly match

September 6, 2006 - FIFA Date: 2nd International Match / Start preparation for the CONCACAF Gold Cup Tournament

October 7 - 11: Official matches

November 15, 2006 - Friendly match

2007 - Games Qualification

• Planning camps
  • Training / games
  • Players' availability
  • Other

Matches requested on the under-mentioned FIFA dates:

7 February - Friendly match
24-28 March - Official matches
2-6 June - Official matches
July - Gold Cup Tournament
22 August - Friendly match
8-12 September - Official matches
13-17 October - Official matches
17-21 November - Official matches

For the above-mentioned dates, teams must be sourced by mutual agreement.  Dates must also be found for organizing camps both home and abroad.

December 2007 - Draw for World Cup 2010

Schedule of matches required for 2008

6 February - Friendly match
26 March - Friendly match
20 August - Friendly match
6-10 September - Official matches
11-15 October - Official matches
19 November - Friendly match

2009 to 2010

Details to be determined.

The remuneration for Leo and the staff as well as a budget for the period under review shall form the basis of a separate document.

Respectfully submitted
Jack Warner.

Schedule of Arrival and Departure
July 22 - 26, 2006

22 July Arrival of Leo and Wim
23 July From 11:00 am
Meetings with the T&TFF; Jack Warner; GORTT/Min. of Sport
24 July Evaluation of WC 2006
Evaluation of Staff
Press Conference
25 July 9:00 am
Attendance of Book Launch - "From Zero to Hero" Departure of Leo Beenhakker

26 July Assumption of duty by Wim Rijsbergen and others.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 11:24:06 AM by Tallman »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Wim Rijsbergen to take over as head coach.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 10:57:27 AM »
Thanks Shaun and flex..

Like that dye was cast long time now.. Well we know the cast, now for the way forward.
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 11:01:21 AM »
It looks good on paper.  keeping Wim is good as there will be some continuity.  Although some ppl feel leo was too defensive, the main thing I saw was TnT playing disciplined structured football..true there was not much flair but you cant get apple juice from an orange.

The thing that stood out was the role of Lincoln..to be confined ti the development of coaches and goalkeepers.  It appears that Wim and Anton will responsible for all player development.

All in all, it looks like a good plan.  Only time will tell.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 11:05:23 AM by real madness »

Offline Source

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 11:02:49 AM »
I guess this is the original arrangement that was talked about. Wim as the caretaker coach until Beenhakker comes back. I hope Wim does such a great job That Beenhakker will not be needed. Time for the student to surpass the teacher. I believe this will work out real well. Wim  has something to prove.

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006, 11:03:01 AM »
Personally i am not member of the anton corneal fan club.  Hope i am proven wrong.
good luck to beenie in his new gig  :beermug:

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 11:04:07 AM »
Nice nice....Things seem to be moving forward. Ah love it .

Buh like wim running the programme not Lincoln.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 11:06:51 AM by pass(10trini) »
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline oconnorg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 11:06:58 AM »
http://www.socawarriorssc.com/swonline/smf/index.php?topic=18849.msg194027#msg194027

Full of facts and everything like this TTFF release from Shaun .. thanks for the info. :beermug:

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2006, 11:09:19 AM »
Sounds very serious.  Looks like Lincoln get confined to the side and the Dutchmen coming in to FINALLY implement a structure that is conducive to the farming and graduation of players through all levels of our team.  But it really looks like Lincoln's role has been narrowed. Ah like the sound of it though.  WHim sounding real serious.  Dem men look like they ain't coming to work under no shoddy conditions.  Is either their way or the highway.  GO Warriors!  

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006, 11:10:23 AM »
You notice Lincoln Phillips get fired in a technical way sad to see that because he was doing a good job   
Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2006, 11:13:18 AM »
Will Lincoln stay, is the question.  It's good to see some emphasis on coaching development and goalkeeping development.  Looks like the Dutch see Lincoln as an expert in goalkeeping (which is where he carved a niche internationally), but for whatever reason, not up to the task of putting some structure to our football teams. 
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 02:51:32 PM by Tenorsaw »

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2006, 11:13:27 AM »
I can really live with this. TTFF have made the most out of an unfortunate (but expected) decision, in terms of leo's departure. The plans that the TTFF have come out with for the future and youth lately have been a real step up from prior years.

Whim will be great and will have Don Leo to consult with whenever he needs it. Having Whim will also keep the continuity and style of play, which will be great for the players.

Would like to know more about Jan Van Deinsen and his history.

Plus theres a possibility Don Leo could come back after the two years.

Props to the TTFF for a professional compromise and logical handling of these affairs, and making the most of this situation. I am confident that we are still under good hands and guidance.
Hart for president

Offline oconnorg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2006, 11:15:28 AM »
You notice Lincoln Phillips get fired in a technical way sad to see that because he was doing a good job   

So it seems .. So it seems... Not very cool if you ask me  !

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline oconnorg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2006, 11:17:49 AM »
http://www.socawarriorssc.com/swonline/smf/index.php?topic=18849.msg194027#msg194027

Full of facts and everything like this TTFF release from Shaun .. thanks for the info. :beermug:

I am just a better a writer ... more concise and everything.  What else is really important to you in their article?

Come leh we kill this nah man .. It not that serious .  :beermug:

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline skins

• Barca4ever
  • Hero Warrior
  • orginally from san do
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2006, 11:18:27 AM »
Good news. Thanks Flex for the uddates.

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2006, 11:19:20 AM »
Lincoln wasnt fired. I didnt see that mentioned. His roles are slightly modified.
Hart for president

Offline ttcom

• Hero Warrior
  • us/trini/jamaican
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2006, 11:20:42 AM »
could someone showl me what anton coaching resume look like? I know about his father from back in the 80's at carib grounds but nothing about the son. Eman this is a job for you. :angel: :angel:
Stupidity is an elemental force for which no earthquake is a match."
-Karl Kraus

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2006, 11:25:14 AM »
Beenie make out like ah bandit

Colleckin cheques from two different countries...and none is de local currency  :applause:
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2006, 11:25:30 AM »
Lincoln wasnt fired. I didnt see that mentioned. His roles are slightly modified.

What you think isah tecnical directors job ??
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2006, 11:26:16 AM »
Can a man serve two masters?  Potential for  competing interest. How could one be   a coach and technical advisory for Poland and serve in some capacity  here?. Why not have Mr. Phillips serve as an assistant?. all I would add to this like I said there may be some merits to this but.......

I think we do need  more development and inclusion of local expertise so that  given the fact that our  coaches do not have the exposure to  the level of coaching as these fellows bring, at least people like Mr.Phillips should be an assistant working along side as oppose to being shuffled out.

I would like to see an increased role of future plans when Latas playing days are over for him to be on the coaching staff.

Fellas the only  minor query I have is: ah detecting a gentle pushing aside of our players who have served us so much in the past ( First Nahkid; Latas and now Phillips). What did Chaulkdust use tuh sing " AM I WRONG...?"

This hire should save us $$$$$ in terms of caoching $$$ we should now be able to deploy in development as noted. I would not think that  Wim would command  the salary as Beenie.

Offline Source

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2006, 11:26:38 AM »
If Gally didn't have an ulcer before i'm sure he has one now. Poor Gally no place for him.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2006, 11:27:25 AM »
The plans that the TTFF have come out with for the future and youth lately have been a real step up from prior years.

The TTFF has outlined plans before. The real question is if/how it will be executed.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2006, 11:30:53 AM »
true dat, tallman.

pass10, where you see it say his job is any different?
Hart for president

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2006, 11:33:28 AM »
Plans seem well laid out, hope they are effectively executed.
I too noticed the confinment of Lincoln's duties, interesting, I hope its more of Wim wanting to handle that himself and less a matter of phasing out Lincoln.
It have a wok for Gally somebody needed to run down balls around the practice field.
Maybe Wim is just a place holder till Beenie contract ends in two years, then he go come back and lead us in the next set of qualifiers, yes I know Wim contract is for 4 years, im just wishing.

Offline marcpurcell

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2006, 11:34:30 AM »
The TTFF has outlined plans before. The real question is if/how it will be executed.

But not this extensive Tallman
Born in Montreal
Living in Toronto
But still a Barataria boy at heart

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2006, 11:36:20 AM »
like corneal does suk sum serious dick?.. how come dem steady pushing this man to coach and help and all this bullshit ..this man wutless... this is about the 15 time I hear he in some big roll wid TTF and yet to actually see him doing somethin for the team..
warmonga...
Black Lives Matter..

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2006, 11:37:15 AM »
Can a man serve two masters?  Potential for  competing interest. How could one be   a coach and technical advisory for Poland and serve in some capacity  here?. Why not have Mr. Phillips serve as an assistant?. all I would add to this like I said there may be some merits to this but.......

I think we do need  more development and inclusion of local expertise so that  given the fact that our  coaches do not have the exposure to  the level of coaching as these fellows bring, at least people like Mr.Phillips should be an assistant working along side as oppose to being shuffled out.
I would like to see an increased role of future plans when Latas playing days are over for him to be on the coaching staff.
Fellas the only  minor query I have is: ah detecting a gentle pushing aside of our players who have served us so much in the past ( First Nahkid; Latas and now Phillips). What did Chaulkdust use tuh sing " AM I WRONG...?"

This hire should save us $$$$$ in terms of caoching $$$ we should now be able to deploy in development as noted. I would not think that  Wim would command  the salary as Beenie.

Alberta read the thing good nah man, before you make dem comments.  Yes, it looks like Lincoln has been confined, but there is mention of incorporating Latapy and Yorke into camps, etc.  Anton Corneal in the mix also.  The reason why no more of our local coaches are being included is because they just bad mouthing.  Yuh cyar have mutinous man on board.  Men must come with some humility to learn.  We not looking for yes men, cause Anton did speak his mind when Beenie named his squad a bit early, and he still has been retained.  Is about attitude, and our local coaches are not showing a willingness to learn; they acting like the done know it all.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 11:53:24 AM by Tenorsaw »

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2006, 11:37:50 AM »
I not to sure how leo cud be polands coach and help us out as well....that kinda strange to me..if it was a club side then that wud have been different...
But glad to see plans have been made and laid out and will have to see how things go now
Back in Trini...

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2006, 11:39:03 AM »

TrinInfinite

Wim Rijsbergen will be Hungry to Prove something Internationally!
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2006, 11:39:07 AM »
I think this is a good move also bc Whim is young and will be hungry to prove to the world he can do what his mentor has done, take us to another world cup and perform, Whim is hungry for success, after his mentor has become a commodity once more, Whim will be pushing to do the same thing, he wants to be on top, I doubt he took the trinidad job tuh do a mediocre job, he will be aiming for the stars to prove himself as a new coach and also to attract lucrative offers and attention from the world, like beenhakker has done. He sees the potential and telent in TT and will guide to victory I feel, also Whim played in the world cup which is a bonus as any coach, lets hope he adopts our trini ball and incorporates it into a dutch system, where trini attacks can be blended with dutch defense and counter attacking.

vibes it up

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2006, 11:39:44 AM »
iv) The role of the Technical Director, Lincoln Phillips, to be confined to the development of coaches and goal keepers using his knowledge in these areas. In this regard, the entire Technical Department of the T&TFF is to be reviewed as a matter of urgency.

I eh sure how to read dis. Use of the word confined implying it done in a way of saying....."do this....and only dis.....and keep quiet" Also the issue of coaches and goal keepers.......does this mean he go be the goal keeping coach and responsible for developing local coaches? And why does the technical department of the TTFF need to be reviewed???

I not to sure how leo cud be polands coach and help us out as well....that kinda strange to me..if it was a club side then that wud have been different...
But glad to see plans have been made and laid out and will have to see how things go now

My thoughts exactly.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

1]; } ?>