May 23, 2024, 12:27:36 AM

Author Topic: Cafu won't quit Brazil team  (Read 8679 times)

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Cafu won't quit Brazil team
« on: July 17, 2006, 12:40:51 AM »
Skysports.com

Brazil captain Cafu insists he will resist calls for him to retire from international football.

The 36-year-old was unable to lead his country to back-to-back World Cup titles after Brazil lost to France in the quarter finals.

The team's exit has sparked calls for the old guard to make way for the younger generation in order to prepare fully for the 2010 tournament in South Africa.

Roberto Carlos has already quit playing for his country, but Cafu, despite his advancing years, is not planning to follow suit.

The Milan full back is aware of the clamour for him to retire from representing Brazil, but he feels Germany was merely a blip for the national team.

"I am not a thief," affirmed Cafu. "I feel that everyone looks at me as if I would have stolen something.

"I am not the person they think I am. Cafu is a normal person that, unfortunately, has lost the World Cup.

"I want to say to the supporters that the image that they should keep from me is the one they had in 2002, but the press is being very unfair with me and only shows the defeat we had this year.

"My career shows that I had more victories than defeats. What happened in Germany is only an accident.

"I can't resign from the national team after my first defeat, despite the fact many people are doing all that is possible to make me go.

"I am going to keep on playing for Brazil each time I am recalled to the team."

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Cafu won't quit Brazil team
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 04:49:50 AM »
Not sure why it is such a big deal for footballers to quit international football if they don't want to. When they are no longer good enough, they should no longer be selected. But nothing is wrong with making yourself available until that time. I think it's cool when players make that call themselves, but i have no problem with Cafu's attitude..if you are good enough to play for a club, then you have the right to keep yourself open for your country...country comes first. You may no longer be good enough to actually make the national team, so you don't get selected and that is a 'natural' form of international retirement. Now, the problem arises when you have a coach that refuses to pick youth over experience, and plays a declining veteran over a better youngster, wasting the talent of the new generation and hurting the team. Unfortunately, this happens pretty regularly. But so long as that is not the case, then let selection take its course and cafu will 'retire' soon, when he can no longer make the grade....some would say that is right now  ;) But in all fairness, he shouldn't have to make an official statement. I don't think Rivaldo has retired yet. Just let nature take its course..and who knows..they may hit a season of deadly form and get a last couple of games to bow out in the style that great champions like them deserve...weirder things have happened

Offline dumpalewie

• Lewie
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 07:08:55 AM »
I kinda agree. It is his right to continue to make himself available for selection. It is also the coach's right not to pick him.

In my opinion, he has no place on the team. Cicinho is clearly much better than him right now. That takes nothing away from his stellar career. 
TnT Patriot

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 07:15:05 AM »
I kinda agree. It is his right to continue to make himself available for selection. It is also the coach's right not to pick him.

In my opinion, he has no place on the team. Cicinho is clearly much better than him right now. That takes nothing away from his stellar career. 
I still feel that Cicinho have to lean to defend before he take cafu spot totally...He aint quite there yet.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 07:29:22 AM »

I still feel that Cicinho have to lean to defend before he take cafu spot totally...He aint quite there yet.

You couldn't be talking about Cafu this world Cup. The man was a near-embarassment.......He was coming off  a long injury too and it showed....slow, stiff & unable to command the right side. The one game that Cicinho played, he covered more ground than Cafu did in the four other games put together.......Despite his defensive short-comings Cicinho is more than ready to take Cafu's spot.....

I do agree that Cafu has the right to declare himself available for games as long as he feels he is good enough.....it's up to the coach not to pick him.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 07:34:40 AM »
it have a next youthman who real impress me...daniel alves i think is his name (the right back from sevilla).   i heard them bandy about his name as a possible contender for the right back slot.    cafu needs to ride off into the sunset.

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 09:36:32 AM »
Horse why Brazil eh run d confed cup squad dred?
dat side was fire
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006, 10:11:54 AM »
it have a next youthman who real impress me...daniel alves i think is his name (the right back from sevilla).   i heard them bandy about his name as a possible contender for the right back slot.    cafu needs to ride off into the sunset.

yeah danny alves is a real boss player.. IMHO better than cicinho because...

- he can defend (he put de black hole on downing in de uefa cup final)
- he can cross
- he can shoot
- he have more brains

liverpool trying hard to get him....

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006, 10:19:45 AM »
I don't think Rivaldo has retired yet. Just let nature take its course..and who knows..they may hit a season of deadly form and get a last couple of games to bow out in the style that great champions like them deserve...weirder things have happened

Yeah, Rivaldo never retired. He always lamented not being picked fuh the squad after 2002, where I thought he was a better overall player than Ronaldo.
Rivaldo was in ripping club form before the world cup, highest scorer and saving Olympiacos' Champions League hopes, but no matter what yuh do for Brazil, they not going to pick you if you playing yuh football in Greece. Not to mention Kaka was rippin up Serie A.

Offline superoli

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2006, 10:22:04 AM »
wasnt Rivaldo permanently injured after he got that ball in his face from the turkish player ?
Superoli for President of TTFF
I have one promise...........
A professional organization for professional players

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2006, 11:08:18 AM »
wasnt Rivaldo permanently injured after he got that ball in his face from the turkish player ?

;) sarcasm at its best

i think his WC winner's medal got rid of the excruciating pain

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2006, 11:09:57 AM »

yeah that ball-to-face gave him a permanent thigh strain....or maybe it was the other way around  ;D

Offline takenoprisoners

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Rivaldo to retire at end of season.
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2006, 11:10:28 AM »
Rivaldo to call time on career
By Fotis Voinikas -  Created on 17 Jul 2006

Brazilian playmaker Rivaldo has announced he will retire at the end of the coming season.

The 34-year-old attacking midfielder won the World Cup in 2002, but has been playing for the last two seasons in the Greek Alpha Ethniki for Olympiakos.

He has added to his already glittering trophy cabinet over the last two terms with two Greek cups and two championships domestically, but has now told a sports paper in the country that he is ready to hang up his boots.

"I have already made up my mind. This is going to be my last season as a footballer. I want to finish my career with Olympiakos' shirt," he told Potathlitis.

"I want to do something great next season and then I will go to Brazil to get some rest, but I assure everyone that this doesn't mean that I am not going to try my best in my last season as a footballer of Olympiakos.

"I want to achieve something more with Olympiakos and I hope that the other players and I can make it. This is how I want to leave Olympiakos and the football fields."

Rivaldo started out as a professional at the age of 16 in 1989 with Santa Cruz, and he moved around Brazil before winning a transfer to Deportivo La Coruna in 1996.

He was named the World and European Footballer of the Year in 1999 when at Barcelona, and then won the UEFA Champions League with Milan in 2003 and make an impact on the European stage again last season.

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Rivaldo to retire at end of season.
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2006, 11:26:25 AM »
sigh.   i guess i will not see any more of his trademark bicycle kick goals...that bandy leg man is a player sah...skill for days.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2006, 11:32:03 AM »
Boy...first Lara, then Ato...now to find out even Rivaldo from the Cruz

big up Santa Cruz!

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2006, 11:41:55 AM »
put a smiley face on that, men might think yuh serious, and call yuh a yankee for being geographically ignorant....  ;D

Santa Cruz run tings !!

For those of you who forgot about the boss:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS8b8Q5bs2s&search=rivaldo

Enjoy !!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 11:59:46 AM by kicker »

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2006, 12:04:37 PM »
One of my favourite players hanging up his boots. One of de best the world ever saw.  :beermug:

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2006, 12:21:38 PM »
put a smiley face on that, men might think yuh serious, and call yuh a yankee for being geographically ignorant....  ;D

Santa Cruz run tings !!

Enjoy !!

Real nice video, Brazil coulda use some of that skills in this WC ;D
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline takenoprisoners

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2006, 12:22:24 PM »
Thanks for that video Kicker  :beermug:
One of the great pure left-footed players  . Maradona of course and Puskas
come to mind also.
Any other great left footers? Rivelino maybe?

Offline big dawg

• Hero Warrior
  • smallest country to ever play in a world cup final
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2006, 12:22:47 PM »
I wished he had made the squad in Germany.. that woulda be nice to see him off...He had us well entertained in WC 2002...

All great players has to retire some time...
:applause:
Re-Group, Re-Energize, Return
We'll be back...
I don't know when

Offline thane

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2006, 12:38:06 PM »
rivaldo.......................wat a boss!!!

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2006, 01:26:50 PM »

Santa Cruz run tings !!

Enjoy !!

hahaha

I leaving it just so. Leh somebody feel I really tink Rivaldo from Santa Cruz, Trinidad...
and Santa Cruz really run things

Rivaldo is the man!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 01:32:06 PM by Filho »

Offline Brej

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2006, 02:14:55 PM »
De man is a legend
talk done

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
Rivaldo tries to influence Ze Roberto
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2006, 03:56:00 PM »
Rivaldo woos Ze Roberto
By Fotis Voinikas

Brazilian Rivaldo has been trying to use his influence to lure countryman Ze Roberto to join him at Olympiakos.

Thirty-four-year-old Rivaldo has already announced he will retire at the end of the season, but he has also been trying to secure the longer-term future of the Greek champions by wooing the 32-year-old World Cup midfielder to the Georgios Karaiskakis.

Ze Roberto is available on a Bosman free transfer after declining the offer of a new deal from Bayern Munich at the end of last season.

He has been linked with Bordeaux and a number of other European giants, but Rivaldo has revealed a few home truths to the player as well.

"I spoke with Ze Roberto two days ago and said a lot about Olympiakos," Rivaldo admitted.

"He asked me information about the club and everything regarding Olympiakos.

"I said to him that everything is fantastic, not because I wanted to convince him to come here, but because this is the truth.

"I play for a club that every player dreams of playing for. I told Ze Roberto that I have felt like a king for these two years in Greece with Olympiakos. I don't miss anything here. I have everything.

"I asked him what is his decision about his future and he told me that he has offers from Milan, Real Madrid and a club from Japan but he hasn't decided yet. We agreed to speak again by phone."

The Greeks will be anxious to sign any new players sooner rather than later, with the new Greek season scheduled to kick-off on the weekend of August 20-21.

Kingman

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2006, 01:29:23 AM »
i just watched the rivaldo video and i see theplay between him and ronaldinho in 2002.

Tell me something. when Ronaldinho 'graduate' from number 11 to number 10? Anybody know?
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2006, 07:15:06 AM »
Cafu need to retire gracefully and start playing with Bebeto and them in charity games

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2006, 10:35:38 AM »
i just watched the rivaldo video and i see theplay between him and ronaldinho in 2002.

Tell me something. when Ronaldinho 'graduate' from number 11 to number 10? Anybody know?

Usually they give the number 10 to the one that stands out in de team...this is universal...Pele, Maradona, Latapy, Baggio, Owen, Totti etc...Rivaldo was #10 since before 1998...now that he is off the national team Ronaldinho seems the most natural heir.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2006, 11:29:34 AM »

Usually they give the number 10 to the one that stands out in de team...this is universal...Pele, Maradona, Latapy, Baggio, Owen, Totti etc...Rivaldo was #10 since before 1998...now that he is off the national team Ronaldinho seems the most natural heir.

Baggio was #10 ?

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2006, 11:32:52 AM »

Baggio was #10 ?

yeah, at least in the '94 world cup

edit: according to match reports he wore 15 in Italia 90 and 18 in France 98
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 11:39:15 AM by daryn »

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2006, 12:11:43 PM »

Baggio was #10 ?

yeah, at least in the '94 world cup

edit: according to match reports he wore 15 in Italia 90 and 18 in France 98

kewl....I just didn't remember, but I always thought of him as other than #10.....

1]; } ?>