April 18, 2024, 07:54:47 PM

Author Topic: Kenwyne Jones  (Read 12035 times)

Offline lil damo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Kenwyne Jones
« on: July 28, 2006, 10:11:20 AM »
You know guys, I have always been disappointed with what Kenwyne Jones has been developed into since he moved to England. Kenwyne was a utility player playing right back for T&T before he went to England and all of a sudden he became an out and out striker. Am I the only one who sees his conversion to a striker as a real set back to his career?

Personally, I think Kenwyne should have been developed into a defensive midfielder or a central defender. After watching many Southampton games as well as all his games for T&T, I can’t say he has ever ever ever looked like a dangerous striker who is likely to punish a careless defense. In my humble opinion, Kenwyne Jones is better off as a utility player who primarily plays as a defensive midfielder.

My point really is that Jones is still one of our most talented footballers who had/has enormous potential to contribute to Trinidad’s football, but rotting on the bench for a championship team in England doesn’t do his talent and potential justice.  Playing a position that he isn’t most suited for while competing against players who are natural strikers and always going to get a run before him just makes me cringe every weekend.

What do you guys think?

Offline ricky

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Kenwyne Jones
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 10:15:05 AM »
i agree damo
i know when we were spinning our wheels with BSC and no Latas I wanted to see a 4-4-2 diamond with jones as the defensive mid

but i think we go take licks on this cause TI agree with us too  ;D
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 10:16:53 AM by ricky »

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 10:18:41 AM »
like yuh never saw him scoring every game with Shefield?

The man has been looked over by big time coaches like Harry Rednapp and such has been used as both Defensive player as well as offensive and what has the verdict bin?

Striker... so i wouldnt say he should have been a midfielder... he's not much of a ball holding player he's more of a give and go, run fast kick hard, basic shoot and score player... His pure athleticism compliments his role too...

I will agree though that he hasnt developed the way his talent would initially lead you to believe.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 10:21:15 AM by Jefferz »
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 10:26:21 AM »
I don't think that he would be that effectice as a midfielder, because his touch is not that superb to play in the midle of the field. I think he may be good as a full back or where he has been playing as a target player.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline lil damo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 10:33:07 AM »
I think his natural talent and athleticism was on display at sheffield but when he moved up to a higher level of football he didn't seem to be able to make the grade.

My point is that he is talented enough to play on a reg in the champship. league but not as a striker. I don't care what he did in the lower divisions, I'm looking at his overall performance and he just doesn't do it for me a s a striker.

Offline Tongue

• Hero Warrior
  • Blue is the Colour.....Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 10:44:36 AM »
i agree damo
i know when we were spinning our wheels with BSC and no Latas I wanted to see a 4-4-2 diamond with jones as the defensive mid

but i think we go take licks on this cause TI agree with us too  ;D

:challenge: :duel: :busshead: ;D

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 10:46:02 AM »
I like him as a target striker. He has size, strength, speed and great mobility. Very hard working as well. His finishing is not bad either. I think he has what it takes...against Bahrain in the 2nd leg is when I became convinced. They had no clue how to handle him. I like how he played in the WC warmups and in the WC as well. His hold up play against England was good and his runs against Paraguay...everyone talks about Latas changing the attack, but don't forget the great runs that Kenwyne made. His movement is superb. Harry Redknapp and Beenie see him as a striker....not too shabby coaches. He is only 22 and I think he will develop into a good forward. If not he does have the ability to play in a number of positions, ut I would not write him off up front yet.

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2006, 11:32:43 AM »
I like him as a target striker. He has size, strength, speed and great mobility. Very hard working as well. His finishing is not bad either. I think he has what it takes...against Bahrain in the 2nd leg is when I became convinced. They had no clue how to handle him. I like how he played in the WC warmups and in the WC as well. His hold up play against England was good and his runs against Paraguay...everyone talks about Latas changing the attack, but don't forget the great runs that Kenwyne made. His movement is superb. Harry Redknapp and Beenie see him as a striker....not too shabby coaches. He is only 22 and I think he will develop into a good forward. If not he does have the ability to play in a number of positions, ut I would not write him off up front yet.

I agree with both sides of the argument. I have to go with Filho on this one though, with time he could be deadly. Look at all the tallmen who striking these days, Kenwyane has a great future and with the right coaching you could expect more goals

Offline trinikid

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 11:33:12 AM »
I totally agree with the people who say he should be a striker he is very athletic and big pretty quick to i know he played right back for us in under 17 worldcup and he did pretty welll but as the guy who started to thread say he can play any position so he in got nothig to worry about southampton would get the message soon and give him some more first team football cause he scores some beautifull goals

Offline sprog

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2006, 11:54:21 AM »
Actually i am a bit shocked that you guys dont find him convincing as a striker cause i found that he looked very lively and dangerous in the attack for tnt. Jones and Glenn are my strike pair.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2006, 01:25:22 PM »
Ah hope alyuh remember dat he is only 22!!

All de coaches saying that he is good athletically, but still requires some fine tunning.

I think that this will be his break out season!! His experience at the world cup will make the difference!!

ah love it!!

Kenwyne(22), Glenn(24), Sealey(25) to lead de forward line in 2010.

ah love it again!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2006, 01:31:57 PM »
he has to remain a striker. He needs fine tuning and its about time he settle into a position to do that. That position looks like striker after what he did to the nets at Sheffield Wednesday.
Hart for president

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2006, 01:44:24 PM »
Midfield - he has the abilty to switch into total offensive or defensive on the fly.

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2006, 06:14:36 PM »
Jones is a defensive midfielder, in the mold of Viera.

It is an area where he can start for TnT and make an impact.

I feel he likes to play forward.

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2006, 06:47:21 PM »
Jones is a defensive midfielder, in the mold of Viera.

that was the same thought ah had in meh ehad before ah read yuh post KND lol
he could do a Viera-like job with more forward runs.

lets say if yuh have a team with 2 good strikers already and a suspect midfield..yuh go still sub one of yuh good strikers just to play Jones, instead of playing Jones in the midfield from the start?
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2006, 07:10:28 PM »

that is the most important thing.  If Jones feels that he is a striker, and he has said during interviews that striker is his favorite position, then who are we to suggest he play somewhere different?

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2006, 07:16:32 PM »

that is the most important thing.  If Jones feels that he is a striker, and he has said during interviews that striker is his favorite position, then who are we to suggest he play somewhere different?
Yorke is a case in point. He payed as a striker most of his pro career, but to serve the team he played same role they recommending for Jones. I don't know if he could play it, but he has the phisical attributes to succed there.
Live large and prosper!

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2006, 07:31:36 PM »

Yorke is a case in point. He payed as a striker most of his pro career, but to serve the team he played same role they recommending for Jones. I don't know if he could play it, but he has the phisical attributes to succed there.

But Yorke wanted to play midfield, Jones does not.  Beenie tried to play Yorke up front with Stern when he first took over and Yorke suggested to him that the team would be better off if he plays in midfield.  In fact Sydney FC wants him to go back to striker this season and Yorke said he would prefer to play in a deeper role.

Offline NUFF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2006, 09:22:57 PM »
if jones played the defensive midfield position for T&T then what position would silvio spann play?

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2006, 05:46:58 AM »
if jones played the defensive midfield position for T&T then what position would silvio spann play?
if Spann cant find another position on the starting team..then is bench fuh he yes lol
Feliz

Offline NUFF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2006, 06:53:40 AM »
if Spann cant find another position on the starting team..then is bench fuh he yes lol
is ah good thing you eh de coach

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2006, 08:33:14 AM »
Jones is a good player but I hope he work on his first touch because its poor he should recognize is deficiencies and work on there ‘s serial drills to improve your first touch all I have to say to him is practice, practice, practice.   
Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2006, 10:11:55 AM »
is ah good thing you eh de coach
all ah saying is that Jones is a better alround player than Spann..and can play multiple positions
Feliz

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2006, 10:22:31 AM »
with his height strength athleticism in the striker role Jones will be a serious headache for the opposition, as he develops and matures a lil more defenders will be scared of this guy.
jones/glenn sounding good

Offline Remie

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2006, 05:17:41 AM »
I don't think that he would be that effectice as a midfielder, because his touch is not that superb to play in the midle of the field. I think he may be good as a full back or where he has been playing as a target player.

I agree with both of these posts.

T&T seem to be well off in the central midfield area with Whitley, Spann and Birchall all being able to play as the defensive midfielder.

There is no need to change Jones position as he has all the attributes to play as a target man. Does he have the attributes to play as a defensive midfielder- being able to track a man into your own box, being comfortable with the ball at your feet, having the ability to get the ball from the defence and pick out a pass, being able to tackle cleanly? I don't think so.

Offline Pompey

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2006, 05:36:05 AM »
Why not ask these guys? this lot watch him week in week out. They have a forum called banter central (Which is full of kids at the moment becuase the schools are on holiday) where they invite posts from other fans, they get a bit touchy about their main discussion site.

I warn you though, you may have to wash after visiting this site ;D

http://www.saintschat.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=2

Offline jose

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2006, 06:20:50 AM »
i also agree with both sides of the argument,jones has the abilty to play in many positions

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2006, 06:24:53 AM »

He tall enuff to be ah goal keeper too.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2006, 03:13:51 PM »

He tall enuff to be ah goal keeper too.

fishs, ah think yuh forget tuh put ah  ;D at de end ah dat sentence. Cuz ah believe yuh joking, yuh cah be serious.
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline Patterson

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2006, 03:57:15 PM »
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 04:02:31 PM by Patterson »

1]; } ?>