June 14, 2024, 04:57:15 AM

Author Topic: Chelsea v Liverpool: Community Shield  (Read 6764 times)

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Chelsea v Liverpool: Community Shield
« on: August 12, 2006, 05:28:01 AM »

The war of words between Rafael Benitez and Jose Mourinho has been hotting up ahead of Sunday's Community Shield clash at the Millennium Stadium.

AlexLivesey/GettyImages
Rafa and Jose in action.

Both teams have something to prove in the season's traditional curtain-raiser, and should field strong squads in a bid to claim bragging rights for the start of the Premiership next weekend.

Mourinho, while on Chelsea's tour of the US recently, fired the first shots of what is expected to be another season of baiting aimed at Anfield.

The Chelsea boss, claiming Arsenal and Manchester United have bought better in the summer and worried him more than Liverpool, again branded the Reds as defensive and boring.

Benitez however, was quick to distance himself from the potential slanging match, saying: `You should all know me by now, I do not comment on other managers but concentrate on my own team. I prefer not to waste my time with such things.

'I promise you I am not concerning myself too much about what Chelsea are doing.'

Both teams have strengthened their squads over the summer, and will give their new signings their first taste of Premiership opposition on Sunday.

Chelsea have spent nearly £50 million bringing Andriy Shevchenko, John Obi Mikel and Michael Ballack to the club, while they're also in negotiations to bring in Arsenal leftback Ashley Cole in one of the most drawn-out transfer saga's of the summer.

Liverpool have also spent big, capturing Jermaine Pennant, Craig Bellamy, Fabio Aurelio and Gabriel Palleta for nearly £20 million. While also trying to lure Dirk Kuyt from Feyenoord in a reported £10 million deal.

Neither team have enjoyed a successful pre-season campaign, tasting defeat and failing to impress against weaker opposition.

Of the two, Liverpool will be more prepared after their 2-1 Champions League qualifier victory against Maccabi Haifa on Wednesday. While Chelsea are still struggling for fitness, with the likes of William Gallas still yet to make an appearance in pre-season.

Liverpool have proved to be Chelsea's bogey team in recent contests and Benitez remains confident of success in the tactical battle against Mourinho.

Often able to frustrate the Portuguese tactician, Benitez has ground out wins in the FA Cup and Champion's League in recent seasons, although Mourinho had the edge in the last Premiership campaign, beating the Reds 4-1 at Anfield and 2-0 at Stamford Bridge.

Both sides will be keen to avoid the scoreless affairs that dogged their Champion's League campaign's last term, although Liverpool are expected to play the same stifling 4-5-1 formation with a lone striker and two wingers that has been so successful in the past.

Chelsea however, have already shown their intention for the season by scrapping the 4-5-1 in favour of an attacking 4-4-2. Without Makelele on Sunday, given extra time to recover from the World Cup, Mourihno has a chance to see the formation in action against a tougher opposition.

The season-opener is traditionally a cagey contest and there might prove to be more action on the touchline if Benitez and Mourinho get involved. Both managers will be keen to get one-up on the other before the real action kicks off next week.

• Soccernet highlights some of the key battles to look out for on Sunday:
ANDRIY SHEVCHENKO vs. JAMIE CARRAGHER
Shevchenko arrived from AC Milan in a deal worth around £30 million after establishing himself as one of the finest strikers in the world. He turns 30 this season and is under a little pressure to prove he is worth such a huge fee, but the truly word-class Ukrainian is also tipped to set the Premiership alight with his potent finishing and blistering speed.

Carragher has become the cornerstone of Liverpool's defence after making the transition from utility-man to centre back. Unlucky not to feature more for England at the World Cup, Carragher helped his side to numerous clean sheets last season with his excellent positioning and pace. He will have to be at his very best to keep Shevchenko quiet though.
MICHAEL BALLACK vs. STEVEN GERRARD
Ballack is another high-profile arrival at Stamford Bridge, joining the club on a free transfer after a successful spell at Bayern Munich. He is also approaching 30 but his performances at the World Cup with Germany suggests he remains influential. If he can form an understanding with the like-minded Lampard in midfield, Chelsea could reap the rewards.

Gerrard has led Liverpool superbly in recent seasons, dragging them back into the Champions League final in 2005 when they were 3-0 down at half-time against Milan. Also rescuing his side in the FA Cup final against West Ham with a late strike, the skipper is invaluable to the club and will look to hurt the side he almost joined last season with his penetrating runs and vicious shots.
JOHN TERRY vs. CRAIG BELLAMY
Leading from the back with his organisation and tough tackling, John Terry is the first name on the teamsheet for Chelsea and has now been given the England captain's armband too. Has been criticised for a lack of pace that Bellamy could exploit, but still a rock in defence that Liverpool will find hard to crack.

Bellamy has often caused controversy with his discipline off the field, but he has proved to be a match-winner when playing. His pace can trouble any defence and he has the potential to form a good 'little and large' partnership up front with Peter Crouch. Will pounce on any chances, as he showed against Maccabi Haifa.

Probable line-ups:

Chelsea: Cudicini, Ferreira, Terry, Carvalho, Bridge, Ballack, Lampard, Robben, Wright-Phillips, Shevchenko, Drogba.

Liverpool: Reina, Riise, Carragher, Hyypia, Finnan, Alonso, Gerrard, Sissoko, Pennant, Zenden, Bellamy
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline freakazoid

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Chelsea v Liverpool: Community Shield
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 05:30:21 AM »
normally i does say red till ah dead but that is 4  internationla games only ::) ah blue  through and through 4 this game
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 08:19:40 AM »
Liverpool winning 3-1
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 08:28:01 AM »
0-0 ... hopefully a good opportunity to see some of the new players in a proper competitive match.

Offline jub02

• Hero Warrior
  • Mighty Arsenal & Newcastle .
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 11:08:16 AM »
im thinkin chelsea mite win it ..got this feeling
but im gonna have 2 say liverpool 2 - 1 chelsea

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
FA Community Shield
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 08:17:23 AM »
Liverpool vs Chelsea 10:00 am EST. FSC

Liverpool beat Chelsea in the FA cup semi-final

Chelsea have added Ballack and Shevchenko, and promise a more entertaining style.
Liverpool see Cicsse move on.

Should be good.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 08:28:00 AM by Bitter »
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: FA Community Shield
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2006, 08:22:09 AM »
Won't sell out hte scoreline yet.
But i will say that Shevchenko in a Chelsea jersey just look wrong...

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2006, 08:35:58 AM »

BOY!!!! How I wish they would get rid of Arjen Robben.  If this boy isn't in a situation to run at defenders with the ball he is absolutely USELESS!!

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2006, 08:38:54 AM »
Robben is more of a Ranieri player, i think,  than suits Murinho's style. Which isn't much of a style as far as I'm concerned.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2006, 08:48:23 AM »
BOY!!!! How I wish they would get rid of Arjen Robben.  If this boy isn't in a situation to run at defenders with the ball he is absolutely USELESS!!

Mango Chow I hope yuh see my point about having more than four recognized defenders in yuh squad. Is one defender on the bench with Geremi playing RB and fereira playing LB. That is not a recipe for success.

I expect to see Makalele playing fullback at some point before the season is out, even if they pick up Cole or another defender, which is priority for Chelsea right now.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2006, 08:49:12 AM »
ENT
chelsea DO NOT play an attractive brand of football
Chelsea = opposite of Barca
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline freakazoid

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2006, 08:54:27 AM »
whwich team at the WC played attractive ball?

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2006, 08:55:17 AM »
1-1 HT

9' Risse Rocket for Liverpool........

44' Great Sheva goal....  i hate chelsea but i must admit dat was a brilliant team goal

by the way   Ballack pulled up....  looks like a hip injury....   looks serious also

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2006, 09:03:16 AM »

Doh ah red till ah dead, meh side is still gunners...yet I had always liked Robben for exactly that, he cause tings and makes tings happen, is it enuff to outweigh when he is off the ball...to be honest I never considered it, ah figure dem big club/professional coaches dun check that out, so yuh sayin, that once Robben doh have the ball, the opposing team doh even think bout he no more ? You obviously managed to get some interviews, post dem nah..or possibly when the camera switches off the ball, over the few years, you kept an eye on him, maybe cause you were at the game live, and able to observe, the defenses just forgettin bout him and he forgetting bout the rest of his team....
I could not see all that, obviously why many of us, not having all that inside info...Now if yuh could also form ah case why they should sell him to Arsenal, and manage to try and convince Mourinho, I go back you to become ah member of the present TTFF tomorro yes......I real anxious to read yuh next post an dem...

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2006, 09:07:20 AM »

Doh ah red till ah dead, meh side is still gunners...yet I had always liked Robben for exactly that, he cause tings and makes tings happen, is it enuff to outweigh when he is off the ball...to be honest I never considered it, ah figure dem big club/professional coaches dun check that out, so yuh sayin, that once Robben doh have the ball, the opposing team doh even think bout he no more ? You obviously managed to get some interviews, post dem nah..or possibly when the camera switches off the ball, over the few years, you kept an eye on him, maybe cause you were at the game live, and able to observe, the defenses just forgettin bout him and he forgetting bout the rest of his team....
I could not see all that, obviously why many of us, not having all that inside info...Now if yuh could also form ah case why they should sell him to Arsenal, and manage to try and convince Mourinho, I go back you to become ah member of the present TTFF tomorro yes......I real anxious to read yuh next post an dem...

Mango Chow's posts are some of th emost entertaining on the site. Real comedic value.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline doublet750

• Hero Warrior
  • mi nuevo nombre es dinho mi vida es joga bonito
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2006, 09:16:09 AM »
COME ON CHELSEA!!!

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2006, 09:42:49 AM »
(f)King Crouch ! ah really have to try an start  aprecihatin dis man, damn.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2006, 09:44:03 AM »
Terry move away from Crouch - he fraid he get he hair pull like Sancho... ;D

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2006, 09:47:45 AM »

Well, for one, I don't like players that cheat and dive, even if it's players on my own team;
     two: when Chelsea's play develops that give him (Robben) the opportunity to make a through pass or a well-weighted cross, he comes up short more often than not.
     three: Shaun Wright-Phillips can be better suited even to play the role of a winger that can BOTH take on defenders and get good crosses in.  I think he has been coming up short in a Chelsea shirt because he hasn't been given the chance to do it very often and when he is, sometimes I think he tries too hard and his confidence may not be intact right now.

I don't claim to be no football tactician, like some o' allyuh men, but I does watch REAL football!!!!!!!!! My  handle should really be "Ball Pyoung!!" but I miss meh mango chow........but anyway, I eh getting into off- camera angles and all dat, I watchin' de same tv you watching, but it don't take a whole season to see that Robben is innefective in Chelea's attack. Otherwise, Jose would have left him in..........

BOY!!!! How I wish they would get rid of Arjen Robben.  If this boy isn't in a situation to run at defenders with the ball he is absolutely USELESS!!

Mango Chow's posts are some of th emost entertaining on the site. Real comedic value.

I eh quite sure how to take dat!  I does post some serious ting on dis board, so, you must be tryin' to tell meh ah does only be talkin' shit?!?

Offline Stevie F

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2006, 09:51:08 AM »

Good call

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2006, 10:04:58 AM »
ENT
chelsea DO NOT play an attractive brand of football
Chelsea = opposite of Barca

As much as I like Jose and support Chelsea, I have to agree with you, albeit begrudgingly.  I have to wonder about Jose's ability as a tactician, with all the talent he have in this side.  Too much emphasis is put on Lampard's offense.  He lacks the skill to help generate the style of play with attacking flair that liverpool and ass-'n-all are capable of playing.  Lampard needs to be more of a defensive midfielder that specializes in penalties and free-kicks.  John Obi Mikel is an EXCELLENT playmaker, as all of you will find out, who can run an attacking midfield up the middle and actually does come back to help  in defense would complement Shaun Wright-Phillips on the wing to feed Drogba, Sheva and whoever else they want to use up front.  they need to SELL Arjen Robben.  His best season with Chelsea is behind him!!

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2006, 10:09:10 AM »
I don't think Morinho's credentials as a tactician are in doubt. i just think he chooses to play the numbers rather than go for the attractive game.

As a long time Chelsea supporter, i much preferred Ranieri's teams. Jose gets the results, but i can't really enjoy them.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2006, 10:23:09 AM »
I don't think Morinho's credentials as a tactician are in doubt. i just think he chooses to play the numbers rather than go for the attractive game.

As a long time Chelsea supporter, i much preferred Ranieri's teams. Jose gets the results, but i can't really enjoy them.

Ok, maybe I should give the team a little more time to gel and work together (and sell Robben), but if today's game is any indication of what the season is going to be like, we (Jose, Chelsea and ADIDAS) are going to struggle.  What exactly do you mean when you say Jose "chooses to play the numbers"? I feel he relies heavily on a very solid defense and then he counter-attacks while remaining loyal to certain players playing certain roles (Lampard attacking, Robben on the wing, etc.) but I think he has some horses now that should allow him to run a little more using a more attack oriented approach.
   That is what Ranieri did. That is what Carlos Alberto Parreira didn't do.

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2006, 10:39:27 AM »
I don't claim to be no football tactician, like some o' allyuh men, but I does watch REAL football!!!!!!!!! My  handle should really be "Ball Pyoung!!" but I miss meh mango chow........but anyway, I eh getting into off- camera angles and all dat, I watchin' de same tv you watching, but it don't take a whole season to see that Robben is innefective in Chelea's attack. Otherwise, Jose would have left him in..........

SHEVA!!!!....this is the best result I could hope for...meh boy Sheva mash up...and Liverpool win  ;D

Chow:  jes curious....what REAL football you's be watching that we not.....yuh have to understand that most people here is watch REAL football too, and dat doh make our opinion right...but IMO when you's post is like yuh's state yuh OPINION like it's a FACT, and fight down any man whose oppose yuh like if it's gold bredda.....i think dat's why some posters may figure yuh posts is of "comedic" value.....

e.g you're opinion
"BOY!!!! How I wish they would get rid of Arjen Robben.  If this boy isn't in a situation to run at defenders with the ball he is absolutely USELESS!!"

Dat statement IMO is pure TATA......he's prolly one of the most gifted players on the ball and off the ball...but then again dat's my opinion  :beermug:

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2006, 10:49:53 AM »

Ok, maybe I should give the team a little more time to gel and work together (and sell Robben), but if today's game is any indication of what the season is going to be like, we (Jose, Chelsea and ADIDAS) are going to struggle.  What exactly do you mean when you say Jose "chooses to play the numbers"? I feel he relies heavily on a very solid defense and then he counter-attacks while remaining loyal to certain players playing certain roles (Lampard attacking, Robben on the wing, etc.) but I think he has some horses now that should allow him to run a little more using a more attack oriented approach.
   That is what Ranieri did. That is what Carlos Alberto Parreira didn't do.

When I say "By the numbers" I mean that Jose choses to play to win, however that looks. Solid Defence, counter attack, win 1-0 no flash, just win.

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2006, 10:53:41 AM »

Good call

fuh real jub

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2006, 11:55:26 AM »

SHEVA!!!!....this is the best result I could hope for...meh boy Sheva mash up...and Liverpool win  ;D

Chow:  jes curious....what REAL football you's be watching that we not.....yuh have to understand that most people here is watch REAL football too, and dat doh make our opinion right...but IMO when you's post is like yuh's state yuh OPINION like it's a FACT, and fight down any man whose oppose yuh like if it's gold bredda.....i think dat's why some posters may figure yuh posts is of "comedic" value.....

e.g you're opinion
"BOY!!!! How I wish they would get rid of Arjen Robben.  If this boy isn't in a situation to run at defenders with the ball he is absolutely USELESS!!"

Dat statement IMO is pure TATA......he's prolly one of the most gifted players on the ball and off the ball...but then again dat's my opinion  :beermug:

To answer your question, I wasn't claiming to watch MORE football than anybody, but if you include all world youth tournaments dating back to Australia 1993 (Under-20 and Under-17) Women's World Cups, European championships, everything that is shown, I watch.  Whether I call out sick and stay home, or call out sick and travel overseas, I does only channel surf between FSC, Gol TV, Setanta sport and whenever ESPN showing Champions' League.  NOTHING Else........Ok, maybe the western channel when they showin' infomercials............  I will admit that I cannot watch MLS, but since fox bombarding us with that and USL, I do tolerate it.  I have to disagree that I state any opinion like it is fact unless I know it to be so.  I have had to say a couple of things to a couple of men on the forum  that may have come across suspectfully abrasive but I don't think that I offer points and counterpoints any more than is expected on a forum such as this or any more so than alot of other people.    I'm quite sure even you may have had to defend some of your "opinions" from time to time.

As far as Robben is concerned, yeeah he is very gifted, but I campaining for them to sell him for all the reasons I stated I have grown tired f his game.  Maybe if he would do less diving and impose his effectiveness for the team like he did the season before last, then mybe I wouldn't be so happy to see him leave, but I know Jose ent sellin' him.  Time will tell what fruits his giftedness will bear for Chelsea this season.     :beermug:

Offline jub02

• Hero Warrior
  • Mighty Arsenal & Newcastle .
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2006, 01:07:41 PM »

Good call

fuh real jub

;D ;D

chelsea have the premierships best players but jose picks weird formations which i think dont suit the players... if they had the rite formation today they probably wud a had it won..some spells they looked real good..
liverpool deserve it.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2006, 02:08:41 PM »
Benitez 1, Mourinho 0.  And the rivalry between arguably the best "tactician" in the EPL and the self-branded "special one" continues. ;)

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2006, 03:56:32 PM »
Benitez 1, Mourinho 0.  And the rivalry between arguably the best "tactician" in the EPL and the self-branded "special one" continues. ;)[/size]

Wenger and Fergie musbe vex  ;D
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

1]; } ?>