June 16, 2024, 12:19:40 AM

Author Topic: England v Pakistan Test Match adandoned controversially  (Read 2854 times)

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
England v Pakistan Test Match adandoned controversially
« on: August 20, 2006, 02:23:53 PM »
Apparently the 4th test between England and Pakistan was called off controversially following accusations of Pakistani ball tampering by umpire Darrell Hair. Play never resumed after tea when Pakistan refused to take the field while they lodged a protest against Hair and then when they took the field Hair refused to come out. Apparently the match has now been called off.

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/engvpak/content/current/story/257010.html The story is here.

What are the implications for the game following this incident? Billy Doctrove was the other on field umpire. What, if anything, will become of them, the umpires? This is absolutely amazing.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 09:05:06 PM by dwolfman »

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: England v Pakistan Test Match adandoned controversially
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 04:56:50 PM »
Hair always like trouble eh. But is really ICC fault -- ball tampering is a serious issue which affects the game directly as well as the players being tarred with such an accusation. You cant have a rule where you just deduct 5 runs and continue with the game -- if you suspect matchfixing wait till the end of the day then have video review and talk to both captains and if offence is found then take serious action -- ie suspension, forfeit, innings/wickets/ 100 runs etc -- not this menial 5 runs on the field of play. Having such a sensitive decison made on the field of play without the match referee involved is not feasible

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 09:07:59 PM »
So then your recommendation is that the umpires be unable to act on the field of play if they conclusively see ball tampering? I understand the point you are making now, but that is only valid in a case where it seems the umpires had only speculation based on the condition of the ball and may have been better served taking this to the match referee to consult the videos. Is it practical for such action if they've actually seen tampering?

Just something to think about. TI? Jefferz? No comments?

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 08:05:46 AM »
Hair jus full ah anti Pakistan BS.
Nobody else see this "ball tampering".
De man have ah serious problem.
If he see ball tampering why de hell he ent tell Inzi an Strauss who do it an wen?
De Pakistanis dam correct to protest, saying yuh tamper with de ball is telling men that yuh tiefing.
Jus wait for the full fall out on this , a bet yuh Hair ent umpire another test involving pakistan windies india sri lanka.
Ah rell vex about dis is de hiegth of stupidness, Hairis judge an jury again.
Dis is de same man who say mulilaturan was throwing , no ball de man over an over, de man do all kinda scientific study dat say he action good.
Fire bun Hair.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 08:07:20 AM by fishs »
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 08:52:38 AM »
So then your recommendation is that the umpires be unable to act on the field of play if they conclusively see ball tampering? I understand the point you are making now, but that is only valid in a case where it seems the umpires had only speculation based on the condition of the ball and may have been better served taking this to the match referee to consult the videos. Is it practical for such action if they've actually seen tampering?

Just something to think about. TI? Jefferz? No comments?
I think if they have conclusively seen ball tampering they should immediately call the match referee on their walkie-talkie and explain to him what he saw AND inform the captain what exactly he saw and by whom etc. etc. and take action but make a log of what he saw so he can be accountable to act for it. According to all reports Hair refused to answer Inzi when questioned and up till now ( a day after) has not identified who the culprit was/what the condition of the ball was and there has been no formal game log. Cricketing decisions need to stop being so cryptic and fans also need to know what the hell is going on. It was unfair to Inzi and unfair to the fans

PS. I with fishs also -- fire bun Hair and he madness

Offline Remie

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 10:51:37 AM »
1. If Hair saw anyone tampering with the ball then he is right to change the ball and give a 5 run penalty.

2. Once Pakistan did not come out after tea according to the laws of cricket he was right to award the game to England.

However i think both parties, Hair and Pakistan were partially to blame for 22,000 spectators not getting to see any further cricket.

If Hair did see anyone tampering with the ball he should have come out and said who- either to the Inzamam or to the public. If he hasn't seen anyone then he was wrong to award the penalty and he is an ass.

Whoever informed Pakistan to stay in the dressing room was basically informing them to forfeit the match because if you do not come out to play after the first warning you risk forfeiting the match. I know they felt extremely strongly about their 'honour' being questioned but there are other ways to protest. They could have read a statement on Sky TV in the tea interval and then come out to play.

Anyhow, the only good thing that might come out of this is that Hair is shown up to be an ass on the international stage. Hair is a damn tief. Even West Indies have been on the wrong end of a lot of tief outs from Hair.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 03:42:12 PM »
I agree with sinned86 that perhaps the time has come for a daily event log to be established. I know I've seen umpires with their notepads taking notes to refer to things later, but that's personal record keeping. They have walkie talkies are in contact with officials off the field. With an official event log they can record these issues with the match referee while it happens and the referee in turn can now monitor the offending person or team and also notify the team's coach or manager. However, the umpire has an on the field duty to perform. So when he suspects something is wrong with the ball he can ask for new balls, but until he can confer with the match referee any actual penalties will be delayed until verification of an infraction and proper notification given to the teams.

Whatever the procedure to deal with a matter like this, this situation has highlighted a need to have more transparacy of the process to prevent a team's "honour" being compromised.

That said, I think Pakistan handled the situation badly. There is a team coach and tour manager who could have lodged an official protest while the team went out after the break. They did not all need to be sitting in the dressing room while it was done for it to be any more official or noted. I think this is the one decision of the umpires that I agree with.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 03:48:25 PM »
This article has Law 21 defined regarding forfeiting the game.

Cricinfo Article

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2006, 04:17:09 PM »
I agree with what you're saying about not tying the hands of the on-field umpires. But if they have the power to penalise a team for ball-tampering then they must be able to justify it publicly and to the team rather than just have it all hush-hush like Hair

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 04:29:49 PM »
I don't know about having to justify it publically. They just need to be able to justify it. In that regard I figure Hair and Inzi probably could have communicated better. That's easier said than done as both would have a certain amount of emotion invested in the game.

It's really unfortunate for the game. Cricinfo has some interesting articles on this whole debacle.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2006, 08:53:02 AM »
check this  :bs:

Cricket: Umpire Hair lauded as a hero in Australia

4.00pm Tuesday August 22, 2006

SYDNEY - Umpire Darrell Hair has been hailed a hero in Australia for his role in the ball tampering row which led to Pakistan forfeiting the fourth cricket test against England.

While Hair has been branded a racist in parts of Asia and derided as an attention seeker by sections of the British media, he has been praised by Australians for standing by his convictions.

Former test captain Steve Waugh and Simon Taufel, the International Cricket Council's (ICC) umpire of the year, both said they supported Hair's decision to abandon the match yesterday after Pakistan captain Inzamam ul-Haq's team refused to resume playing.

"I definitely agree with that - if they don't go back on the field the test is over," Waugh told the Daily Telegraph newspaper.

"If the fielding side refuses to take the field, there is not much the umpires can do," Taufel told the Sydney Morning Herald.

"Umpires have to follow the laws as they are written, so it's hard to fault the umpires in this case."

The Australian media also sided with Hair, saying he should be applauded for taking a tough stand against the scourge of ball tampering.

Robert Craddock, writing for the Daily Telegraph, said he had been told by an English umpire last year that ball tampering was now rife in the English county competition but other umpires were afraid to speak up because of the repercussions for their own careers.

"Darrell Hair is prepared to poke his nose into grubby corners of the cricket world where most of his fellow umpires refuse to go," Craddock wrote.

"He knows a 'tampered' ball when he sees one."

Phil Wilkins, writing for the Sydney Morning Herald, said Hair was being unfairly portrayed as the culprit when all he did was follow the game's rules.

"Hair is a man of the strictest principle, an official absolutely true to the game, an umpire of the fairest, most unswerving practices," Wilkins wrote.

"He has always been a man of the strongest fibre and for that he is being castigated ferociously."

Hair was condemned by the Asian cricket community a decade ago when he no-balled Sri Lankan spinner Muttiah Muralitharan for chucking and was later dropped from the ICC's panel of elite umpires.

The ICC's decision to subsequently bend the rules so Muralitharan could continue bowling without fear of being called for throwing remains a highly contentious issue in Australia.

"If there were a few more Hairs available to stand in matches around the world then cricket would be in less of a mess than it is right now," Patrick Smith wrote in The Australian.

"If other umpires had been as strong as Hair then bowling would not have been corrupted in the manner it is now."

Hair now faces an uncertain future in the sport with the powerful Asian bloc united in their criticism of him but The Australian's chief cricket correspondent Malcolm Conn said the ICC would be wrong to bow to pressure and abandon him.

"Cricket is once again on the verge of disgracing itself by failing to support an umpire who has the courage to uphold the laws of the game," Conn wrote.

"Hair should be considered a hero for his courage, despite being subjected to death threats in the past.

"The spirit of cricket is central to the well being of the game and Inzamam crushed that spirit by refusing to play.

"Only half a decade after the match-fixing scandal that tore at the very fabric of cricket, this is another low blow the game cannot afford."

- REUTERS

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2006, 11:41:48 PM »
check this  :bs:

Cricket: Umpire Hair lauded as a hero in Australia

4.00pm Tuesday August 22, 2006

SYDNEY - Umpire Darrell Hair has been hailed a hero in Australia for his role in the ball tampering row which led to Pakistan forfeiting the fourth cricket test against England.

While Hair has been branded a racist in parts of Asia and derided as an attention seeker by sections of the British media, he has been praised by Australians for standing by his convictions.

Former test captain Steve Waugh and Simon Taufel, the International Cricket Council's (ICC) umpire of the year, both said they supported Hair's decision to abandon the match yesterday after Pakistan captain Inzamam ul-Haq's team refused to resume playing.

"I definitely agree with that - if they don't go back on the field the test is over," Waugh told the Daily Telegraph newspaper.

"If the fielding side refuses to take the field, there is not much the umpires can do," Taufel told the Sydney Morning Herald.

"Umpires have to follow the laws as they are written, so it's hard to fault the umpires in this case."

The Australian media also sided with Hair, saying he should be applauded for taking a tough stand against the scourge of ball tampering.

Robert Craddock, writing for the Daily Telegraph, said he had been told by an English umpire last year that ball tampering was now rife in the English county competition but other umpires were afraid to speak up because of the repercussions for their own careers.

"Darrell Hair is prepared to poke his nose into grubby corners of the cricket world where most of his fellow umpires refuse to go," Craddock wrote.

"He knows a 'tampered' ball when he sees one."

Phil Wilkins, writing for the Sydney Morning Herald, said Hair was being unfairly portrayed as the culprit when all he did was follow the game's rules.

"Hair is a man of the strictest principle, an official absolutely true to the game, an umpire of the fairest, most unswerving practices," Wilkins wrote.

"He has always been a man of the strongest fibre and for that he is being castigated ferociously."

Hair was condemned by the Asian cricket community a decade ago when he no-balled Sri Lankan spinner Muttiah Muralitharan for chucking and was later dropped from the ICC's panel of elite umpires.

The ICC's decision to subsequently bend the rules so Muralitharan could continue bowling without fear of being called for throwing remains a highly contentious issue in Australia.

"If there were a few more Hairs available to stand in matches around the world then cricket would be in less of a mess than it is right now," Patrick Smith wrote in The Australian.

"If other umpires had been as strong as Hair then bowling would not have been corrupted in the manner it is now."

Hair now faces an uncertain future in the sport with the powerful Asian bloc united in their criticism of him but The Australian's chief cricket correspondent Malcolm Conn said the ICC would be wrong to bow to pressure and abandon him.

"Cricket is once again on the verge of disgracing itself by failing to support an umpire who has the courage to uphold the laws of the game," Conn wrote.

"Hair should be considered a hero for his courage, despite being subjected to death threats in the past.

"The spirit of cricket is central to the well being of the game and Inzamam crushed that spirit by refusing to play.

"Only half a decade after the match-fixing scandal that tore at the very fabric of cricket, this is another low blow the game cannot afford."

- REUTERS

More Aussie BS
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2006, 11:23:48 AM »
Hair has tief out Lara pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeenty times before...

and now this .... well this just ups his moron status ten fold.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

TrinInfinite

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2006, 05:39:05 PM »
I agree with sinned86 that perhaps the time has come for a daily event log to be established. I know I've seen umpires with their notepads taking notes to refer to things later, but that's personal record keeping. They have walkie talkies are in contact with officials off the field. With an official event log they can record these issues with the match referee while it happens and the referee in turn can now monitor the offending person or team and also notify the team's coach or manager. However, the umpire has an on the field duty to perform. So when he suspects something is wrong with the ball he can ask for new balls, but until he can confer with the match referee any actual penalties will be delayed until verification of an infraction and proper notification given to the teams.

Whatever the procedure to deal with a matter like this, this situation has highlighted a need to have more transparacy of the process to prevent a team's "honour" being compromised.

That said, I think Pakistan handled the situation badly. There is a team coach and tour manager who could have lodged an official protest while the team went out after the break. They did not all need to be sitting in the dressing room while it was done for it to be any more official or noted. I think this is the one decision of the umpires that I agree with.

glad to see you back bredda, hope the tour of australia was good, i wish you and the tt hockey team all the best :beermug:
As for the situation at hand, I was watching it live from day one and in all honesty the umpiring was very suspect, the deicisions made favoured england throughout the series and into the last test. The ball wasn't tampered with, Hare made a decision in order to get england back into the match, he knew the ball was reverse swinging and the pakistani bowlers were getting wickets in succession and were gaining the upperhand. Anytime you play pakistan and they get the ball to reverse swing, it is danger, Gul was bowling well and so was kaneria, Hare decided he had seen enough and called for a another ball, hence the batsman get to choose the ball. This would be the turning point of the match.  I think as an umpire who is apart of the elite panel his deicison was bias to say the least, watching the ball on tv it was not what Hare made it to be, I think what has to happen is that we need a new panel of umpires. Australia can cheat and take advantage of many teams as they pleased and they are not punished, if this continues, there will be even greater protests to come in the future. I am in fear our game will enter into the dark ages where race is a factor of who wins once more. >:(
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 05:41:01 PM by TrinInfinite »

1]; } ?>