March 28, 2024, 05:30:21 PM

Author Topic: Sydney seeks new marquee player as Yorke leaves.  (Read 12525 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Sydney seeks new marquee player as Yorke leaves.
« on: August 31, 2006, 07:20:55 AM »
Sydney seeks new marquee player as Yorke leaves.
By: Sydney FC Website.
[/size]

Sydney FC has re-affirmed its determination to remain at the forefront of the Hyundai A-League by seeking a new marquee player following news that Dwight Yorke has confirmed a move to English Championship club Sunderland tonight.
Yorke will spend the next two seasons playing under former team mate Roy Keane after Sydney FC and Sunderland agreed to a transfer for an undisclosed fee.
Sydney FC Chairman Walter Bugno, while sad to see Yorke leave, wished the 34-year-old good luck as he continues his football career in the north of England.
“Dwight Yorke has made an unbelievable contribution to Sydney FC and Australian football and we wish him nothing but luck in his new endeavours with Sunderland,” Bugno said.
“Sydney FC has always maintained that marquee players have an important role to play in the early stages of the Hyundai A-League. Before the A-League started we believed in the principal of a marquee player and now we have seen the advantages, on and off the field, we will set out to find another player who can contribute as much to the game as Dwight has since he arrived last year.
“Our coaching staff will start drawing up a list of targets straight away and I am in Europe for the next two weeks so I am available to meet with any prospective marquee players.”
Sydney FC Coach Terry Butcher, who is in Melbourne preparing for Saturday night’s clash with the Melbourne Victory, was disappointed to see Yorke leave but echoed the thoughts of Bugno.
“It’s sad to see Dwight leave,” Butcher said. “He is a great player and a tremendous personality to have in the team and he has worked very hard since I came to Sydney to be in shape to play. He has great respect amongst the players and coaching staff and he will be missed.
Yorke played 21 games for Sydney FC in its debut season, scoring seven goals and lifting the Hyundai A-League trophy when Sydney FC defeated the Central Coast Mariners 1-0 in the inaugural Grand Final.
Yorke blames Sydney.
By: Sportal News.
[/size]

Departing Sydney FC captain Dwight Yorke has revealed he would have considered staying in the A-League if the club had extended his contract. Yorke had six months left on his current contract with the A-League team but said he was not offered any further incentives to stay at the club, and with the offer of a two-year contract in England, he had to secure his future.
"If they did not really want me to go, they would not have let me go because they have the pulling power, so to speak," Yorke said in the Daily Telegraph.
"At the end of the day, I have six months remaining on my contract and then I am out of contract."
"There was no talk about me extending the contract and whether that was the case, it was not documented to me or my manager.
"That being the case and I have a two-year deal in England, I had to think about it."
Yorke will link up with former Manchester United teammate Roy Keane at Sunderland who currently compete in the English second division. The mercurial international added he was sad to leave Australia credited Sydney FC with helping him to resurrect his career.
Keane confident Yorke will shine.
By: Soccer365.

New Sunderland manager Roy Keane insists there will be no concerns over Dwight Yorke after the new signing was quoted as being "devastated" to be leaving Sydney.
Keane signed the Trinidad and Tobago international shortly after being installed as the new boss of the Black Cats last week. Sydney's failure to offer Yorke a new deal and subsequent decision to accept a £200,000 offer from the Wearside club prompted him to say: "I'm absolutely gutted to say the least, I'm devastated, just devastated."
Keane insists the remarks were misconstrued and is thrilled to have been reunited with his former team-mate. He told the club's official website: "The quotes (in Sydney) were taken out of context. From the time I spoke to Dwight everything has been positive. It's the way they want to spin things."
He added: "I'm sure he was very happy in Sydney, he enjoyed it, of course he did, but he wanted to come back here for a new challenge and it's credit to Sunderland that we have signed him. I know for a fact that he has had one or two offers over the summer, it's great that he is here."
Yorke can be an inspiration.
By: Sunderland Echo.
[/size]

Sunderland made half-a-dozen new signings yesterday on the busiest transfer day in the club's history.
But the one signing which has captured the imagination more than the other five put together is that of ex-Manchester United marksman Dwight Yorke.
The Trinidad and Tobago striker may be 34 now and have lost the pace which once made him a world class goalscorer. But he remains a figure of world renown and for Sunderland fans starved in recent years of star names, Yorke's is a name that they can wear with pride on their shirts.
Nor will he be trading on former glories either, Yorke has been the star player in Australia's A league with Sydney FC and the club's manager Terry Butcher admitted he's 'our marquee player', recognising his star quality and big game temperament.
The signing of Yorke had all the more impact because it was such an unexpected approach.
The ex-Villa and Man United frontman had dropped off the radar since joining Sydney last July but new Sunderland boss Roy Keane had not forgotten about his former team-mate.
And he was also aware that while Yorke wasn't unhappy Down Under, he had admitted that he missed the competitiveness and sense of importance of fixtures in the English game.
The English game had largely forgotten about the player, despite his appearances for Trinidad and Tobago in this summer's World Cup. So it was a major surprise when news broke yesterday that the club were pursuing the player from across the globe.
And it has been a superb bit of business to get a talismanic figure such as Yorke for just £200,000. Keane will believe he can have the same sort of inspirational influence on the Sunderland dressing room as Niall Quinn had hoped Kevin Phillips would have had, had he been able to return to Wearside.
What remains to be seen is where Yorke will be deployed in the Sunderland set-up.
He was a prolific striker, for Manchester United in particular, scoring 47 goals in 96 appearances between 1998 and 2002. But in recent seasons he has proven himself a more than capable central midfielder with the ability to win the ball and set up attacks.
With Sunderland having bought two central midfielders yesterday though in the shape of Graham Kavanagh and Liam Miller, adding to the likes of Dean Whitehead, Arnau and Grant Leadbitter, the temptation may be to ask him to play up front again. Yorke's paciest days are long behind him but facing Championship defences is not the same as taking on Champions League rearguards and the new signing might show that his greatest gift to Sunderland will be the goals that will lift them up the league table.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 09:56:36 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline duscam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Sydney seeks new marquee player as Yorke leaves.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 07:32:01 AM »
what a career..I for one am very happy hes moving, prolongs his career another two years, he gets to go back to England where his son is, and we can see his exploits on sky sports!!!

Offline jose

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 07:33:37 AM »
all the best yorke,continue to make us proud

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 08:02:08 AM »
Good news for dwight...
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 08:10:14 AM »
well yorkie boy lets hope u and keane can have a good relationship. we all know how roy keane can be with his hot temper. another chapter in the yorke book has been written.how the story will unfold? we all have 2 wait and see
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline redtrinigirl

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • A Trini In London
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 08:33:44 AM »
I am not sure how to feel. Great to see him back in England. But you have to think, at what cost?

It's the classic scenario of "better to be a big fish in a small pond, than a little fish in the big sea”.

Would it have been better to stay as the marquee player in Austrailia, where he could live like a king? Or come down to a championship side (gasp!), with a small salary, just to say he’s back playing football in England?

Sorry, but I don’t know if it would work. Yeah he was outstanding in the WC, and he may play like that at Sunderland and get interest from premiership sides again. But the UK is a funny place. No one is going to look at how well he’s playing. Not in the press anyway.

The media here only view him as a playboy/party freak, and that’s all they want to know. Who he’s sleeping with, where he’s partying, blah, blah. He also got a bad reputation from Birmingham for being lazy and difficult. That kind of thing is hard to get over.

For that reason, he’s not really been taken seriously in the UK as far as his football goes. Dwight is one of the hardest training persons in football, also one of the fittest. But no one bothers with that, just his off the field exploits.

I hope that he comes, lights up the championship, gets Sunderland promoted, and some top premiership club is willing to give him a contract.

Attraction of the Mind gives Respect.
Attraction of the Heart gives Friendship.
Attraction of the Body gives Desire.

Attraction of all Three of them at once
gives Love.

[

Offline duscam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 08:53:38 AM »
trinigirl, we dont know what the man making over the cost of the two years..for all we know he could be making more than he making in Australia, or even making the same but with a year extension...For a man like Yorke at 34 any extra year he could play is a blessing....He could always go back to Australia too!!! ;)

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 08:54:10 AM »
I am not sure how to feel. Great to see him back in England. But you have to think, at what cost?

It's the classic scenario of "better to be a big fish in a small pond, than a little fish in the big sea”.

Would it have been better to stay as the marquee player in Austrailia, where he could live like a king? Or come down to a championship side (gasp!), with a small salary, just to say he’s back playing football in England?

Sorry, but I don’t know if it would work. Yeah he was outstanding in the WC, and he may play like that at Sunderland and get interest from premiership sides again. But the UK is a funny place. No one is going to look at how well he’s playing. Not in the press anyway.

The media here only view him as a playboy/party freak, and that’s all they want to know. Who he’s sleeping with, where he’s partying, blah, blah. He also got a bad reputation from Birmingham for being lazy and difficult. That kind of thing is hard to get over.

For that reason, he’s not really been taken seriously in the UK as far as his football goes. Dwight is one of the hardest training persons in football, also one of the fittest. But no one bothers with that, just his off the field exploits.

I hope that he comes, lights up the championship, gets Sunderland promoted, and some top premiership club is willing to give him a contract.

I think he actually got a $600,000 increase

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 09:00:42 AM »
Yorke, I rather you retire than go play for dat shit squad. You had a good thing going in Sydney in many aspects. Anyway do yuh thing - it is your decision you made. Good luck.

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline redtrinigirl

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • A Trini In London
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2006, 09:07:35 AM »

I think he actually got a $600,000 increase

Well, that's Ok.But I guess it's the whole image then. From Manchester United star boy to Sunderland playing in the championship? But more importantly, Sunderland playing badly in the championship. Sigh.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for him coming back to England. Just not too sure about Sunderland being the way to do it.

gives Love.

[

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2006, 09:16:07 AM »
Wonder what position he goin to play at Sunderland?

Striker or Midfield?

Regardless of where he play...he will show dem he class.  All de bess Yorkie!
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline duscam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2006, 09:17:26 AM »
give me a 600,000 increase and you know what I doing!!

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2006, 09:22:45 AM »

Striker or Midfield?

Regardless of where he play...he will show dem he class.

yes I am sure Colchester and Southend United are shaking in their tugs

oh gosh man Yorke

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline redtrinigirl

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • A Trini In London
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2006, 09:29:00 AM »

Striker or Midfield?

Regardless of where he play...he will show dem he class.

yes I am sure Colchester and Southend United are shaking in their tugs

oh gosh man Yorke

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Yuh too bad!

gives Love.

[

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2006, 09:30:17 AM »

Striker or Midfield?

Regardless of where he play...he will show dem he class.  All de bess Yorkie!

all i know is that sunderland have two five star generals in command.
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline trini supporter

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2006, 09:30:43 AM »
Well he will be playing a higher level of football but he leave the captaincy and he was doing so good at Sydney but i still happy for him  :beermug:

Offline redtrinigirl

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • A Trini In London
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2006, 09:32:26 AM »
The only way I see this move making any kind of sense is if Sunderland get some kind a financial backer who willing to put out and buy a couple more quality players, a la Portsmouth, and light up de place and go for promotion.

gives Love.

[

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2006, 09:33:33 AM »
Well he will be playing a higher level of football but he leave the captaincy and he was doing so good at Sydney but i still happy for him  :beermug:

i think theres a high possibility that yorke will captain sunderland
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2006, 10:00:06 AM »
Great move by Dwight.

Although Sunderland didnt do well in the last campaign, they are a big club in England.  A stadium capacity of 49,000 and a weekly attendance of over 25,000-30,000.

I dont know why people berating this team!!

I wish yorke well and i hope that he inspires Sunderland the same way he insipred us in germany!!

Go Dwight, do a job similar to what Paul Ince did for wolves. 

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2006, 10:16:22 AM »
Good move for Yorkie.  All the best my brother.  In the twilight of your career you could still contribute.

Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Cowen

• Hero Warrior
  • Conquer without risk is to triumph without Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2006, 11:01:55 AM »
Congrats Dwight.........show them you still have it

:beermug:
Attended Mad Mad University
Studied Madology
Obtained a Mad Mad Degree

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2006, 11:08:43 AM »
AH glad for Yorke, make de money before yuh go out and live your retirement days good and comfortable. Yorke born with a gold spoon, he lead T&T under 20 to de WC, we senior to de WC, Man United to de treble and now Sunderland to de ELP (soon), he is a saviour...

BIG UP !!!!!!!! you will score many goals bredda..... Roger Miller was going strong at 42, you can too !!!!!!!!!! old man Djorkaeff still going strong, Latapy still going strong, Yorke will follow suit, he have plenty to offer still and he more serious than ever....

God Bless yuh youth Harvey also.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 11:11:19 AM by Flex »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Dwightmare for the A-League
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2006, 11:16:30 AM »
Dwightmare for the A-League
By: David Lewis (The Daily Telegraph)

September 01, 2006 12:00

Dwight Yorke in Sydney yesterday just hours before he signed with Sunderland.

SOCCER superstar Dwight Yorke's brief flirtation with the A-League abruptly ended last night when he quit Sydney FC for English club Sunderland.
Coming three days after the resignation of master administrator John O'Neill, it was another sledge hammer blow for Australian football as Yorke was released with a year of his contract remaining for what sources in England say is a fee close to $1 million.
After a deal was sealed just 11 hours before the transfer window closed overnight, Sydney part-owner Peter Turnbull confirmed: "Dwight has come to terms with Sunderland and while that's a huge loss we will leave no stone unturned to recruit another marquee player."
Turnbull insisted Sydney had helped turn around the career of Yorke, 34, making him a saleable commodity on football's futures market.
"When we signed him he was struggling to get a first team place at Birmingham," he added.
"We helped him resurrect his career. He went to the Clubs World Championship, won the A-League and went to the World Cup (as skipper of Trinidad and Tobago).
"Now he has a fantastic new contract at Sunderland. That's a credit to Sydney FC and the entire A-League. Dwight helped establish the A-League,
"Of course we'll miss him but now we can go out and find somebody of equal calibre."
Sunderland, who will raise Yorke's salary from $900,000 a year to $1.5m, only made contact with Sydney 48 hours ago in what turned out to be a whirlwind romance.
The midfielder cum striker earlier in the day recalled with fondness his friendship with Keane – a teammate in Manchester United's triple winning team of 1999 – saying: "That's a factor in my thinking and it's in my mind.
"He's a top mate and he's going to do a great job at Sunderland (in getting them back into the premiership from England's second tier).
 Asked if he would miss Sydney, where he has been a one-man billboard for the club on-field and a chick magnet in the nightclubs off it, Yorke gazed out at the harbour outside his Pyrmont penthouse and replied: "Wouldn't you miss this? "It's absolutely tremendous."
But Yorke is known to have been dismayed by Sydney's seeming indifference towards keeping him for the second year of his contract as the cold cost-cutting hand of the mega-rich Lowy family took an iron grip on the club at boardroom level
Turnbull added: "We have got a good fee for Dwight and we have to move on now. The club will not go backwards, there are two many good players here.
"We wish him well and no doubt he'll play his part in helping Sunderland win promotion to the Premiership."
Sydney chief executive Tim Parker revealed the the club was preparing for life without Dwight, explaining that when the next transfer window opens in November they will pounce.
Meantime, Sydney would be able to sign an immediate replacement, so long as he isn't contracted to another club. Or they have the option of bringing in guest players to fill the chasm.
To that end chairman Walter Bugno is already in Italy where he will sound out contacts over a possible replacement.
Parker insists there will not be a post-Yorke apocalypse, adding: "We have such a committed following in Sydney. I think it's more a worry for other clubs whose gates rise when Dwight makes an appearance.
"You can't deny the impact signing him has had on the competition. It's a shame other clubs didn't do the same."

Offline legal alien

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2006, 12:15:19 PM »
can't wait to get my hands on that shirt....wonder if it will be no 19?..

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2006, 12:22:02 PM »
So outa all the greats Roy played with ,he pick dwight eh .He know that yorke could single handidly drag a club up .I think he mustbe even over a position with the team after retirement too IMO. So yorkee mention Silvio to them to eh ....Congrats boss  :beermug:

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2006, 12:30:11 PM »
If is one thing Yorkie going to prove is that he can do it again...he had a chip on his shoulder when he left the EPL....Now he is back and out to disprove the doubters

Go strong Yorkie!!
Warrior For Life !!

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2006, 01:03:32 PM »
Go at em Dwight.

My only concern is his track record with his two most recent english clubs:  b'ham, blackburn. he started the first few games and was benched for the most part thereafter. A sign that he can be dropped easily. Seems like Dwight is best when he has a definite spot locked up for him. Hopefully the new,mature and renaissance Yorke will fare better.
Hart for president

Offline HEARNAR

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2006, 02:58:11 PM »
Great to have the man once known as the smiling assassin back in England. Hope he plays well and help his new team into the top flight football again. :salute:

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2006, 02:33:38 AM »
Yorke blames Sydney.
By: Sportal News.
[/size]

Departing Sydney FC captain Dwight Yorke has revealed he would have considered staying in the A-League if the club had extended his contract. Yorke had six months left on his current contract with the A-League team but said he was not offered any further incentives to stay at the club, and with the offer of a two-year contract in England, he had to secure his future.
"If they did not really want me to go, they would not have let me go because they have the pulling power, so to speak," Yorke said in the Daily Telegraph.
"At the end of the day, I have six months remaining on my contract and then I am out of contract."
"There was no talk about me extending the contract and whether that was the case, it was not documented to me or my manager.
"That being the case and I have a two-year deal in England, I had to think about it."
Yorke will link up with former Manchester United teammate Roy Keane at Sunderland who currently compete in the English second division. The mercurial international added he was sad to leave Australia credited Sydney FC with helping him to resurrect his career.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2006, 06:00:14 AM »
 I personally think this is a good move...He has done it all ....Win all big club trophies...top score...lead national team to world cup...improve a league...so...therefore if he get a chance to help sunderland improve and if possible get promoted then so be it...Dwight is a professional and I believe these two years would be good..Nothing will diminish his legend

As for Austrialia....Zidane not doing anything...If they get him to play down there...they will always pack stadiums...just like Yorke did

1]; } ?>